Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Mmm makes really balanced games, like Swolfia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Grunge mafia now open for signups

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I would but I just don't care.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
But I didn't actually make it, just like I didn't tune my guitar or wash my hair

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Mmm makes really balanced games, like Swolfia!

this better not be shade

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
:sun:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think a game ending in a stalemate is as balanced as it gets

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
But really would anyone be interested in 15 toto themed games in a row

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

uranus posted:

But really would anyone be interested in 15 toto themed games in a row

why not just make a 15 player game?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Toto deserves more than one game

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Now accepting signups for 'i had a couple beers and made a game of mafia' mafia

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

uranus posted:

Now accepting signups for 'i had a couple beers and made a game of mafia' mafia

pre-sign

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

EXAKT Science posted:

You are Girl Who Might Be The Sister Of Someone I Know, who is pretty soft spoken and who, on the first day of class, in a discussion started by a dude who complained that black people play the race discrimination card when they don't get jobs, told us the sad story of her uncle -- a man who applied for a job that he was so qualified for that literally the ONLY reason he could have not gotten it was affirmative action. And then he didn't get the job.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
hay guys~

I have an idea for a medium-sized role madness game, but I'd like a more experienced mod to confer with regarding balance and order of night actions. Please PM me if you aren't interested in playing and have a moment to help out with the nitty-gritty.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

hay guys~

I have an idea for a medium-sized role madness game, but I'd like a more experienced mod to confer with regarding balance and order of night actions. Please PM me if you aren't interested in playing and have a moment to help out with the nitty-gritty.

I'm your huckleberry

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You know what we need is a temple game. Someone run a temple game

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think a game ending in a stalemate is as balanced as it gets

wait is this from that sk/scum last alive scenario that was discussed the other day? Did that actually happen?

Grats town on your win, and grats MMM for making SA mafia history in the best town win ever

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

wait is this from that sk/scum last alive scenario that was discussed the other day? Did that actually happen?

Grats town on your win, and grats MMM for making SA mafia history in the best town win ever

Yes, that actually happened. It was hilarious.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lolol

Oh btw when I design a game I actually set up a order of operations of what action happens before what action, so this would never happen in a game I mod

for me SK always acts before scum kill but obv after role blockers and what not

edit: that wasn't meant to be a smug comment, after rereading it it comes off that way, I mean it is something mods should consider so this doesn't happen

JakeP fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 16, 2015

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Also the SK and last scum decided together which of them would kill which of the 2 remaining town members so they would be the last 2 standing.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Also the SK and last scum decided together which of them would kill which of the 2 remaining town members so they would be the last 2 standing.

well grats on game throwing to them

and thats straight up what happened. I hope no one considers a stalemate a win of any kind

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JakeP posted:

lolol

Oh btw when I design a game I actually set up a order of operations of what action happens before what action, so this would never happen in a game I mod

for me SK always acts before scum kill but obv after role blockers and what not

edit: that wasn't meant to be a smug comment, after rereading it it comes off that way, I mean it is something mods should consider so this doesn't happen

Yeah well as discussed, I set an action order but also didn't apply it properly once the game started.

E: I don't really want to get into this again though.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I would purposely allow for total annihilation when setting up action priority.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah well as discussed, I set an action order but also didn't apply it properly once the game started.

E: I don't really want to get into this again though.

sory I just thought it was hypothetical and finding out it was a thing made my night, and I had a good night already so i love it!

I probably would have been less of a dick about it before if I realized it actually happened (i dont really remember but I was prolly a dick i usually am)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JakeP posted:

sory I just thought it was hypothetical and finding out it was a thing made my night, and I had a good night already so i love it!

I probably would have been less of a dick about it before if I realized it actually happened (i dont really remember but I was prolly a dick i usually am)

Nah it's all cool, you weren't being a dick. In the future I'll write a specific rule about it because I feel it is such a vague niche situation that it's better covered with a specific ruling than extended general ones out to it.

Even in the action order I was using, killing somebody doesn't stop their action from going through so we'd still possibly be in the situation.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
well my thought when I do action orders is if you get killed you die, but kill actions are always last so every other action happens but then SK>scum>vig

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I think the best thing you can do in situations like that is write hilarious flavor. Everyone will be pleased (and dead!)

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
You could do SK>scum=vig unless scum and vig are only 2 alive and then say scum>vig there to make it so the vig would still kill if he dies out side lylo

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

I think the best thing you can do in situations like that is write hilarious flavor. Everyone will be pleased (and dead!)

this would also work for me

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be thrilled if an experienced mod could PM me. I think I have an inkling of an idea for a game, but since I'm new I no absolutely nothing.

edit - Also, it could be done through skype or irc or steam or someplace else too. Don't care where. Although I'd have to turn skype on first :v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Machine posted:

hay guys~

pre-sign

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

I'd be thrilled if an experienced mod could PM me. I think I have an inkling of an idea for a game, but since I'm new I no absolutely nothing.

edit - Also, it could be done through skype or irc or steam or someplace else too. Don't care where. Although I'd have to turn skype on first :v:

PMed you

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I will look at any setup at anytime

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

PMed you

Yup, PMed back. Thanks. I hope it's workable.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
There are 808 completed games listed on the wiki (176 big games and 632 minis). Votefinder, which has been operating since April 2010 and has had near-universal application since then, is tracking 748 closed games.

Let's assume the difference between games not on the wiki but in votefinder and games not on votefinder but in the wiki comes out to about 200 games (there is probably a way to discover this but it would probably be REALLY tedious). I mean essentially I just want to make it an even 1000, this is bad social science but whatever.

Out of those let's-say 1000 games, as far as I know, only two have ever ended with everyone in the game dying (the first being Kloaked's Pulp Fiction from 2007).

This gives your game, all else being equal, a .2% chance of ending with a stalemate.

As an aside I have modded exactly 50 games, meaning a solid 5% of all mafia games ever run were by me :3:

To the players of Lady Clarent's Calamity: thanks for 50 great games.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Opopanax posted:

I figure you want to play it, but I'll be happy to mod/co-mod one if someone wants to lay down the ground work. Maybe in your case you can do like 5 set ups choose one randomly and I'll write flavor/mod it? That way you can still play? :shrug:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I figure you want to play it, but I'll be happy to mod/co-mod one if someone wants to lay down the ground work. Maybe in your case you can do like 5 set ups choose one randomly and I'll write flavor/mod it? That way you can still play?

Legends is a standard setup:

- 8 Town Adventurers, 4 Scum Temple Guards
- Nightless game. The Temple Guards don't have a kill.
- 6 mason teams. Every player has a mason buddy.
- Executions work on the Duel system. At any point during the day, a player may ##challenge another team to a duel. Once a challenge has been issued, only players on either of the two teams involved in the duel may be killed.

The game ends when all the Temple Guards have been killed, or when the Adventurers no longer outnumber the Temple Guards.

Opopanax posted:

I can do it I will do it nine times.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

EccoRaven posted:

Legends is a standard setup:

- 8 Town Adventurers, 4 Scum Temple Guards
- Nightless game. The Temple Guards don't have a kill.
- 6 mason teams. Every player has a mason buddy.
- Executions work on the Duel system. At any point during the day, a player may ##challenge another team to a duel. Once a challenge has been issued, only players on either of the two teams involved in the duel may be killed.

The game ends when all the Temple Guards have been killed, or when the Adventurers no longer outnumber the Temple Guards.

Ok. And I suppose the mason teams are created randomly as well as the selection of the adventurers/guards? Also how exactly does a duel work? Actually I'll just look for an unarchived temple game and read it's first post. I have to work on a translation today but I could feasibly get this going by Monday I think.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Ok. And I suppose the mason teams are created randomly as well as the selection of the adventurers/guards? Also how exactly does a duel work? Actually I'll just look for an unarchived temple game and read it's first post. I have to work on a translation today but I could feasibly get this going by Monday I think.

- People sign up for which team they want to be in, but alignments are RNG'd.
- A duel works by someone going ##challenge <team> and then people vote for only one of those four players.
- There aren't unarchived games but check votefinder as a nice workaround.
- You can do it you should do it nine times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

EccoRaven posted:

dun da-dun dun dun, dun dun dun, dun da-dun dun dun, DUN DUN DUN DUN DUN