Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Baloogan posted:

If anyone wants to play RTW forever I've written an open source patcher that kills the end game check. I'm also trying to increase the max displacement above 52000.. but that isn't working yet.

Thank you this is the best, please make more quality of life stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Might have to do this for Culture ship names. :v:

Anticipation Of A New Torpedo's Arrival

Wikipedia has them in a nice list already for easy copy pasting. I think I started this practice in Star Wars: Rebellion or something. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Caconym posted:

Wikipedia has them in a nice list already for easy copy pasting. I think I started this practice in Star Wars: Rebellion or something. :v:

The fun is coming up with your own.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Wait, 1.08 CMANO has been released already? Is it still in testing or did they just not update the Steam version?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Davin Valkri posted:

Wait, 1.08 CMANO has been released already? Is it still in testing or did they just not update the Steam version?

My Steam version got updated yesterday or the day before, I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chump Farts posted:

So I'm trying to get back into War in the East, and I'm playing the Leningrad scenario. I've cut the city off from rail and taken the port behind it. Is there a reason they are still in supply? I thought severing the rail line and taking the ports would be enough.

Going back to this question, you need to capture or isolate three more towns on top of the direct land route to Leningrad:

Kobona, at X85 Y 18
Novaya Ladoga, at X87 Y15
Sviritsa, X90 Y12

If you can capture those, or also isolate them from supply, or bomb their ports so that they become damaged, then Leningrad will become isolated.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

dylguy90 posted:

For early game destroyers I just stick 3 centerline torpedo tubes, no gun, no armor, and max speed 30. Basically they're just there to make torpedo runs on big ships and maybe live to tell of it. At least they're tiny and hard to hit.

Although if you don't put a single gun on your destroyer the game gives you two annoying "low on ammo" messages at the start of every battle for each destroyer. So maybe put a deck gun if that bothers you.

I'm 90% sure boats will only launch one launcher at a time so if you have single tubes you're only going to get one fish off per run. As such I don't think early destroyers really need 3 tubes. They don't have the displacement for it without sacrificing speed or guns and no way is a 500 ton death trap surviving 3 runs at something worth putting a torpedo into. Imo the best thing for destroyers is speed, having 28-30 knot destroyers early is a huge advantage.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Baloogan posted:

lol, would be cool to do a Command: Rule the Waves... Guide your nation through the cold war with events and meaningful random battles.

I'm gonna keep repeating this: CMANO with grand strategy elements would be the only/last thing I'd ever play.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

uPen posted:

I'm 90% sure boats will only launch one launcher at a time so if you have single tubes you're only going to get one fish off per run. As such I don't think early destroyers really need 3 tubes. They don't have the displacement for it without sacrificing speed or guns and no way is a 500 ton death trap surviving 3 runs at something worth putting a torpedo into. Imo the best thing for destroyers is speed, having 28-30 knot destroyers early is a huge advantage.

Maybe it was a bug then but I very clearly saw my legacy 500T destroyers fire off two torpedoes at once with like a three degree spread. Also like, they last a surprisingly long time. By the end of my 6 BB killing fleet battle, I had a ton of DDs who had fired all of their single tubes and survived the battle. Basically what I think I'm trying to say is I'm a way better admiral than you.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Davin Valkri posted:

Updated on the 14th, details on the previous page.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I asked the dev over on his forum about torps, he says ships in the period were lovely at coordinating launches so that's how he coded it. Torp training can help, as can double/triple launchers, but torp salvos are going to be fairly fair.

E: Oh, details on the 1.1 patch:

quote:

Just wanted to let you know that we have just started beta testing of V1.1, with additions and bug fixes mostly from your feedback. Thanks to all players who have contributed suggestions and bug reports! Below are the features planned for 1.1.

RTW V1.1
Changes:
* Slightly increased shell damage.
* Improved the move ship screen for more user friendly interface. Also added drag and drop ship movement on world map.
* Maneuver unlocked after 10 minutes in convoy battles even if no enemy sighted.
* The question to finish ships under construction with the best fire control will only be asked once.
* Ships on ASW patrol will not have to go to the yard to fix maintenance problems (for simplicity, they can be assumed to do that regularly as part of their assignment).
* Reduced effects on unrest level of raider sinkings in none-home areas.
* Casemates and side by side forward guns now not allowed on small DD.
* Bonus tech can now appear somewhat earlier than before.
* Penetration data for own guns can now be accessed during battles (button in ship status screen, in main guns box).
* Added zoom out button on world map.
* Summary of oil producing areas now available (button on on map tab).
* The grant free passage to revolutionary event will now only happen once per war.
* Increased VP penalty for declining fleet battles.
* Summarized ships scrapped as a result of treaty (to reduce tedious clicking of messages in large games).
* Ship class definitions now added to the manual.

Bug fixes:
* Fixed cosmetic display glitch in the opening screen (only shows on some resolutions/machines).
* Fixed a bug with displaying data for coastal batteries from the main screen.
* Fixed a bug where the "Exit without saving" query not always worked.
* Fixed a bug where oil firing was not allowed after 1920 as it should have been.
* The all the worlds fighting ships button now brings up the naval almanac (which is of course in the bookshelf on the admirals bridge).
* Fixed a bug that could cause the ultimate research areas to be ignored.
* Fixed a bug with AI ship construction under treaty restrictions.

Map and battle data fixes (will mostly only take effect in new games):
* Moved a couple of bombardment objectives so that they can be bombarded from beyond the defensive minefields.
* Fixed an error where Bari was an Austrian base in a battle AH vs Italy.
* Fixed a couple of convoy objectives that were not in the correct location.
* Fixed a map error that made it impossible to move directly from West Africa to East South America.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 15, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sound like some good stuff.

I swear, I have no idea how to design ships. :negative: I think I just want my cake and to eat it too when it comes to these ships.

Also, whats the difference between casemates and single turrets for secondaries, better field of fire vs more weight?

Dryb
Jul 30, 2007

What did I do?
I'm pretty sure if ships launched as many torpedoes as they theoretically could, it would break the game. One torp seems to kill every ship in the legacy fleets, probably until you can equip the anti-torpedo defenses.

Also, thank you Baloogan, I hate how my (2) games have ended just as I felt they've hit their stride! Next, make a mod that doesn't scream at me because I re-did my legacy fleet with max displacement CAs and have "no B tonnage" and lose a ton of prestige just because. I'm sorry, 18 knots just doesn't cut it.

I may have disparaged this game's store page earlier, but it is super fun and well worth the $35.

One thing I didn't figure out until recently: you can shift-click on the map to set movement heading. I was getting frustrated constantly clicking the red crosshair - click map to move. Any other easy shortcuts? How about one to run time; that take one turn then pause thing gets annoying.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Has anyone had an issue in rule the waves where torpedo's are targeted nowhere near the ship they are meant to attack? I'm sneak attacking a stationary french CA with about 10 destroyers and it isn't moving but they are firing about 4 boat lengths in-front of it while it just blows them all up with its guns while never moving.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Polyakov posted:

Has anyone had an issue in rule the waves where torpedo's are targeted nowhere near the ship they are meant to attack? I'm sneak attacking a stationary french CA with about 10 destroyers and it isn't moving but they are firing about 4 boat lengths in-front of it while it just blows them all up with its guns while never moving.

Check the enemy ship, I had that happen and it said they were going 10 knots when they were obviously not moving.

Ok Iki, stop showing off and ending the cruiser action in two turns.

e: gdi last two years of the game at war with Russia and we had an equal number of BB's in the far east and they refused every fleet battle and I never got to use my huge BB's :smith:

apseudonym fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 15, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dryb posted:

How about one to run time; that take one turn then pause thing gets annoying.

Spacebar does 1 turn, I think.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dryb posted:

How about one to run time; that take one turn then pause thing gets annoying.

Press "e"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dryb posted:

Also, thank you Baloogan, I hate how my (2) games have ended just as I felt they've hit their stride! Next, make a mod that doesn't scream at me because I re-did my legacy fleet with max displacement CAs and have "no B tonnage" and lose a ton of prestige just because. I'm sorry, 18 knots just doesn't cut it.

Yeah I can do that, going to wait for 1.1 tho.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Dryb posted:

I'm pretty sure if ships launched as many torpedoes as they theoretically could, it would break the game. One torp seems to kill every ship in the legacy fleets, probably until you can equip the anti-torpedo defenses.

One torp can kill basically any legacy ship, but it's not guaranteed to. It'll almost always cause heavy flooding, but it's not impossible to contain it.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Press "e"

What does that do exactly?

It works in SAI (I'm still RTW-less) in that it causes the game to run but by what rules? (it isn't in the hotkey list).

I wish we could remap keys, too.

Everyone go to NWS forum and demand re-definable keys, thanks.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
drat it, as soon as the end game notification pops up, everything past the most recent save is wiped when the game closes :( RIP HMS Magnificent, a set of superfiring quad 16"' guns on both ends and broadsides of a dozen 12" secondaries, all +1 quality. Two months before the end she intercepted a 3100 ton Yank raider with 8 5" single turrets at point blank range during poo poo weather. She scored 17 hits in one turn and the return torpedo caused only a single pip of flotation damage.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

So what about MTBs? Do I just build a small DD with trippple torpedo tubes?

I just researched a tech in Light forces which says it allows me to build MTBs, so I guess it's a tech unlock. I still have no ideal how to build them though :confused:

Going back to minelayers though, it actually looks like you too to research the Fleet tactics tech "Mine rails on CL and DD - Enables fitting of mine rails on CL and DD" to fit them on said ship, before that you can only add them to AMCs which you can only build at war and are auto-sold afterwards.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are you sure? One of the aborted games I started my legacy fleet had cruisers equipped with mines. Cant remember if it was a CA or CL though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finally came in. Now to use it and the next book to plan out my navy, except I'm going to swap out a current nation with another that fits the same budget. Or maybe just play Spain, who cares.

Galaga, how's that Jane's book helping you out? I think I have Jane's WW2 ships and I don't recall liking it too much, interested in hearing what your opinion on the WW1 edition is.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I haven't poked through it too much. Its pretty dry reading. Its mostly just statistics. Doesn't really include any history on any of the ships or reasoning for design decisions. Those pictures of the China Entries I posted earlier are a decent sample of what its like, even for the major nations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I haven't poked through it too much. Its pretty dry reading. Its mostly just statistics. Doesn't really include any history on any of the ships or reasoning for design decisions. Those pictures of the China Entries I posted earlier are a decent sample of what its like, even for the major nations.

Hmmm, that's what I thought. Here's some samples of the British in Conway's book, in case you were wondering about the content in it.

It's not all statistics, preferring to mention what happened during the ships time: if it was converted, what was its fate, etc.

Talks about the history of cruisers in the Royal Navy

Legacy ships

The entry on the HMS Dreadnought

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
DC has broken me. I've gone full Hitler. Saratov and it's lovely 5 vp's must fall no matter the cost.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hmmm, that's what I thought. Here's some samples of the British in Conway's book, in case you were wondering about the content in it.

It's only a series of excerpts, but I'm getting the rather strong impression that the author really doesn't like Fisher, or at least thinks he's wildly overrated.

(Also all this RTW chat has gotten me interested, for the first time, in what might be termed "hard grog." I've only ever dipped my toe into lighter stuff before. That interface keeps scaring me off, though...)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's not all statistics, preferring to mention what happened during the ships time: if it was converted, what was its fate, etc.

The entry on the HMS Dreadnought

Yeah, that looks overall much more informative than this 1919 Jane's. I think the only place Jane's might beat it is it seems to have more statistics about ships, at least for something as well known as HMS Dreadnought.

I should really dig my actual camera out instead of using my lovely cell phone cam.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tomn posted:

It's only a series of excerpts, but I'm getting the rather strong impression that the author really doesn't like Fisher, or at least thinks he's wildly overrated.

It's possible :shrug: I don't know much about naval personalities, and certainly not of WW1 and anything before. A quick look at other ship entries in the British portion don't mention Fisher.

Also, I can now totally understand where the Japanese gets their love of tall masts. The US had some tall cage masts that just look awful.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Shipbucket.com is a good resource as well if you're looking for good drawings of warships on a consistent scale.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

In RTW, is there any way to see what class of ships participated in a fleet action after the fact? Playing as US, my BC Lexington intercepts a Russian raider east of Boston at about 2 am. I get close enough to identify it as a "B" (probably a CA since it was a raider) before it takes the first salvo and promptly explodes (got a message about a flash fire in turret). Would be nice to know exactly what I killed.

Also, is there a way to scrap more than one ship at once? It'd be nice to be able to scrap all of my 1899 vintage destroyers simultaneously instead of selecting them one by one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I dunno, I don't mind those that much. Most/All of them were replaced with tri-pod masts during reconstructions anyways. :v:

[edit]

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Now to use it and the next book to plan out my navy, except I'm going to swap out a current nation with another that fits the same budget.

I've actually sorta done this. Now that I can finally sit down and play it, I've built a couple ships for my Legacy Fleet based loosely on real ones. My Battleship is based on the Mikasa, while my Armoured Cruiser is based on its namesake, the Garabaldi

I had to fiddle around with the the tonnage, especially on my Garibaldi class, which displaces a good amount more than its RL version and yet carries a slightly weaker armament, go figure. I'm wondering if single 10" turrets on Armoured Cruisers will prove worthwhile compared to something like twin 7" turrets. :ohdear:

In all, I expect my Legacy Fleet to suck balls and get sunk when I somehow end up fighting the UK. Kinda got some hopes for that Acona class protected cruiser as a raider though.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jul 16, 2015

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

LostCosmonaut posted:

In RTW, is there any way to see what class of ships participated in a fleet action after the fact? Playing as US, my BC Lexington intercepts a Russian raider east of Boston at about 2 am. I get close enough to identify it as a "B" (probably a CA since it was a raider) before it takes the first salvo and promptly explodes (got a message about a flash fire in turret). Would be nice to know exactly what I killed.

I think you can see this by clicking "Details" on the battle stats window.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LostCosmonaut posted:

In the post-mission summary click on Details.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Welp, Austria-Hungary blew up one of my Battleships, Napoli, via saboteur. Its WAR. :argh:

First battle is a fleet battle. Being down one of my battleships I'm not so confident in this. My two remaining battleships handily outclass theirs individually by several kilotons (14.9k vs10k) and 12" main guns vs their 9", but they have 4-5 battleships available. Then again, I have more cruisers, and my Garibaldis are nearly as powerful/armored as their battleships (though only 2x1 10"ers vs 2x2 9"ers).

This is a heck of a first battle to play. So many ships... :ohdear:

[edit] Oh by the way Pressing 1 through (1)0 on the keyboard will play that many minutes of time.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 16, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Not too often you see a key defined twice heh.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Welp, my dramatic fleet engagement proved relatively inconclusive.

My cruisers got into an hour-long exchange with their cruisers while my Battleships moved to join. We spotted their battleships coming in some miles behind their cruiser line, but suddenly their battleships refused the fight and turned away towards friendly shores, as did their cruiser line. Spent the next four hours in a running gun battle between cruiser lines, with my battleships rather ineffectually joining in (I presume my cruisers being between them and the enemy cruisers effected their performance). In the end all I managed to sink was an enemy destroyer that lost too much speed after a lucky hit and was run down and (slowly) shot to death by the CLs.

Marginal Victory indeed, I can't even claim first blood, since they kinda blew up one of my battleships in port.

Still my forces got off relatively lightly on damage, only one Armored Cruiser being put into dock for a single month's repair. I'm instituting enhanced Gunnery training immediately, this was inexcusable.

I am amused at the "fog of war" effect. During the running battle the enemy cruisers were constantly bouncing around between light/medium/heavy on the damage reports. In addition one of my CLs reported a torpedo hit on that stricken destroyer, but the after action report lists no torpedo hits suffered.

What really frustrates me is I couldn't find where you order a flotilla/Torpedo attack by the AI destroyers. Anyone know? Would've been nice to put that enhanced torpedo training to use.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jul 16, 2015

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I am amused at the "fog of war" effect. During the running battle the enemy cruisers were constantly bouncing around between light/medium/heavy on the damage reports.

Wait, where does it list that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

What really frustrates me is I couldn't find where you order a flotilla/Torpedo attack by the AI destroyers. Anyone know? Would've been nice to put that enhanced torpedo training to use.

Right click on the name of the formation they're subordinated to in the order of battle tab, and then on the status screen, it's the three little black ships next to the hold fire setting. You'll know you pressed the right one when a black signals flag pops up on the screen.