Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Orange paint adds 5 HP, right?

Carbotech XP-10s, a step up from the XP-8s I was running. Track day this Thursday at BIR. 80 degrees and partly cloudy.

Probably my last track day of the year, since I didn't think to budget for pads and tires earlier in the year. Live and learn. Maybe I'll do one more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Takeoffs :v:

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.
Step up to the Silver (XP12) for a real strong change. :P

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pacific raceway July 16th, The Ridge raceway July 17th, SCCA Pro Solo July 18-19th. Anyone going to these?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
My dad drove my car at Thompson. It's still breaking up at ~5k. gently caress this earth. Otherwise he loved driving it, thought the grip was amazing, handling was nuts on, and the car was hard to judge braking distance wise because you could brake so late with it compared to his older Triumphs.

*throws more money at nothing*

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Is anyone racing at VIR in July with NASA? Sounds like a lot of out of region people are coming down to get practice for Eastern Nationals.

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.
I'll hopefully make it to VIR for NASA in July. What kind of rules does VIR have regarding camping at the track overnight?

I'll be in a white mustang going quite slowly in DE 1 because the racing line on that track is completely baffling.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a fee, like $25 or so. There are showers in the bathroom.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
What region is NC in for NASA? Southeast? Mid-South? Mid-Atlantic?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mid-Atlantic runs VIR and Summit Point, Southeast runs CMP and Road Atlanta.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Phone posted:

Mid-Atlantic runs VIR and Summit Point, Southeast runs CMP and Road Atlanta.

Blah. I'd really like to run RA sometime, despite the drive, but VIR is what I'm really looking for. Thanks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love Mosport. That is all. I absolutely love driving the track and I recommend you check it out if you can. Even with 130HP it is an absolute riot.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Marauder Stig posted:

I'll hopefully make it to VIR for NASA in July. What kind of rules does VIR have regarding camping at the track overnight?

Primitive camping anywhere on their property if you buy the camping pass.

Come find me I'll be in PTE 146. Lately PTE has been paddocking near the gas pump.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
I'm not going to be driving at VIR in July because I'll be at a beer festival instead (priorities). Anyone going to UTCC that Friday? I might take that day off work.

Sigma, if you want to do Road Atlanta with NASA-SE, check their holiday pricing over the winter for next year. I usually book all my stuff then to get a discount.

sig11 posted:

Step up to the Silver (XP12) for a real strong change. :P

Are they that big of a jump? I tried to get a set of XP12s to run on the front my last weekend, but they were out of stock. Had to settle for XP10s again, which are OK but I wanted just a little extra.
New XP10s are decidedly better than glazed XP10s I've discovered.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'll be at utcc as well. I'm not driving but a buddy of mine is going through comp school and I'm going to crew for him.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

VelociBacon posted:

Pacific raceway July 16th, The Ridge raceway July 17th, SCCA Pro Solo July 18-19th. Anyone going to these?

I may be at The Ridge on the 18th and 19th. I'm going to see about running a friends Spec Miata in ITA so I can finish out my novice license.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Yesterday was the first Alfa Club track day with the GTV6. Only technical issue was due to a poorly mounted power steering fluid reservoir. It would tilt in hard right hand curves puking some fluid out through the overflow. Towards the end of the day the power steering pump also begun to pull air in the right hand curves.

A 75 and the GTV&. Both with a 3.0 24v engine.

The above two images have been taken from this gallery: https://plus.google.com/photos/107212836184695972939/albums/6170348395441448897?authkey=CKvst8jcnufW5QE

On the trackdays there's always a "time attack" for street cars. Here you can see the slowest (left) and fastest cars of the "modified" class (the faster class):

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Are they that big of a jump? I tried to get a set of XP12s to run on the front my last weekend, but they were out of stock. Had to settle for XP10s again, which are OK but I wanted just a little extra.
New XP10s are decidedly better than glazed XP10s I've discovered.

To me it felt a lot like going to XP10s from street pads in magnitude... I completely used them up in two days at Road Atlanta and two days at Mid-Ohio on my fat (3400lbs) 370Z though. Probably most of that was at Mid-Ohio though since it was essentially full on open track.

Hit an Apex
Dec 2, 2004

Real Racing. Real Sport.

DoLittle posted:

Yesterday was the first Alfa Club track day with the GTV6. Only technical issue was due to a poorly mounted power steering fluid reservoir. It would tilt in hard right hand curves puking some fluid out through the overflow. Towards the end of the day the power steering pump also begun to pull air in the right hand curves.

Good day fellow GTV6 owner. Did you retrofit power steering? How?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

one of my track pads (Project mu HC800) has significantly uneven wear from end to end. about 5-10mm difference at each end.

Is it bad to keep using it as is? can I get it skimmed down to flat again, or should I bin them and get new ones?

Im replacing the brake calipers anyway so the root cause isnt really a big deal to me, just not really keen on dumping a set of pads that are one track day old.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Hit an Apex posted:

Good day fellow GTV6 owner. Did you retrofit power steering? How?

The car has a 24v engine from a 164 and it uses the 164 power steering pump. The assisted rack is from a 75. Because the 164 pump has a bit higher output pressure the steering is a bit over assisted. If you took the pump and steering rack from a V6 75 I think they should bolt straight in to a GTV6. You may also need to change the steering axle to match the rack, but you can take that also from a 75 and bolt it in.

Edit: New and improved mount for the power steering fluid reservoir. The previous version was two zip ties.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 13, 2015

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Laserface posted:

one of my track pads (Project mu HC800) has significantly uneven wear from end to end. about 5-10mm difference at each end.

Is it bad to keep using it as is? can I get it skimmed down to flat again, or should I bin them and get new ones?

Im replacing the brake calipers anyway so the root cause isnt really a big deal to me, just not really keen on dumping a set of pads that are one track day old.

I would.

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

One shudders to imagine what inhuman thoughts lie behind that mask. What dreams of chronic sustained cruelty.

FatCow posted:

Primitive camping anywhere on their property if you buy the camping pass.

Come find me I'll be in PTE 146. Lately PTE has been paddocking near the gas pump.

Welp, Looks like I'm not going. I didn't know HPDE 1 had limited spaces :smith:. How far in advance did you register for this weekend?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'm racing so I could show up Saturday morning and register since racing (pretty much) never fills up. When I did instructed DEs I would try to register at least 2-3 weeks before the event.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2015-thscc-john-mullis-memorial-hpde-virginia-intl-full-course-tarheel-150794#.VacT6vlVhBc

FatCow fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 16, 2015

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
How would you guys list "doing track days" on a resume? Has anyone put driving events on their resume with personal info/hobbies? I'm having trouble finding good wording - I want to say that I'm an intermediate level track day driver but without implying that I participate in races, if that makes sense.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I put it on my resume, but it's been 3+ years since I've touched it (that said, the Extracurricular section is what got me the job). It looked like:

quote:

Tarheel Sports Car Club
- Participant in autocross and HPDE programs; Fall 2007 – Present

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Resume for what kind of job? I can't think of anything that would be a positive for unless it was some kind of oddly specific job.

Maybe instead, you could work it into a creative answer to an interpersonal skills interview questions?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

8ender posted:

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I don't understand why people won't let faster cars by. If you have a shot at losing a tail, sure, go for it. Otherwise, at least for me, having a faster angry car that wants to get past on your rear end is stressful and takes the fun out of lapping.

From way back, but --
I find that if I notice more than one car creeping up behind me, I'll get distracted trying to drive and find the off-line and get my hand ready to do the point by, which leads to worse driving, which leads to both hands on the wheel for a bit. I think once I let this go on for 2 laps before I could settle down and let people by.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

parid posted:

Resume for what kind of job? I can't think of anything that would be a positive for unless it was some kind of oddly specific job.

Maybe instead, you could work it into a creative answer to an interpersonal skills interview questions?

I did it when I was still in college/about to graduate. Because seeing my rock solid 2.9 wasn't proof enough that I wasn't hitting the books nonstop.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

From way back, but --
I find that if I notice more than one car creeping up behind me, I'll get distracted trying to drive and find the off-line and get my hand ready to do the point by, which leads to worse driving, which leads to both hands on the wheel for a bit. I think once I let this go on for 2 laps before I could settle down and let people by.

If you're getting passed, stay on line and stay on the outside in corners. I ended up 3-wide at my last track day because some guy went off line and held the inside of the corner while a car was passing us both. Not comfortable.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
It is at all possible that not bedding in pads properly/not clearing off the rotors would cause brakes to stick? Recently did a time attack in my e36 only to have the fronts stick quite badly after a few laps when the brakes started getting up to temp. Pitted in and it took a lot of effort to spin the front with the car jacked up. I was in a rush and didn't street drive with the race pads for a few days like I normally do. I know it's likely the OEM pad compound did not mix well and led to pretty bad vibration, but I'm not sure that would cause the brakes to stick like that. I just hate having to replace calipers again.

Left a shitton of deposits obviously.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 20, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I bedded in my track pads on the street with a few 60-5 stops (as best I could with cold tyres/pressures and ABS interfering) and I only noticed bad vibrations on the last few sessions of my last track day, which eventually wore off on the drive home on the highway.

I did check with the supplier that the two pad types werent going to clash though.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Hi 24 hours of lemons. Im here.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Anyone going to the VIR 24 Chump race in a few weekends?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Phone posted:

Anyone going to the VIR 24 Chump race in a few weekends?
I might go watch or help out, depends on what comes up with work and other stuff.

Running at Raceway Park of the Midlands (Mid America Motorplex) with WRL this weekend. Yesterday was practice, we found a trailing arm bolt had backed out which caused some fun handling characteristics. 9 hour race today, car ran good other than the alternator failing with an hour left which dropped us at least one spot to finish 6th in our class. We were kind of apprehensive after the mess that was Texas World Speedway but so far it's been really good clean racing, don't know of any contact made today. Managed some pretty good laps at the expense of destroying a set of tires in 2.5 hours...RPM is hard on tires.

We'll be running Gingerman next month again with WRL. May have coil overs and camber plates installed in time for that race which should help a lot on tire wear.

PenguinScotty
Nov 13, 2012

Hotpants Icecream

Crustashio posted:

It is at all possible that not bedding in pads properly/not clearing off the rotors would cause brakes to stick? Recently did a time attack in my e36 only to have the fronts stick quite badly after a few laps when the brakes started getting up to temp. Pitted in and it took a lot of effort to spin the front with the car jacked up. I was in a rush and didn't street drive with the race pads for a few days like I normally do. I know it's likely the OEM pad compound did not mix well and led to pretty bad vibration, but I'm not sure that would cause the brakes to stick like that. I just hate having to replace calipers again.

Can't say i've ever heard of brakes sticking if not bedded in. Managed to glaze them when taking brand new pads and discs up to high temps right away without bedding in.

If yours are sticking, there are a few things that could be the issue. Seems like you replaced the calipers already, so it could be related to the master cylinder or even brake line. That said, did you inspect the calipers when you installed them?

Marauder Stig
Oct 28, 2010

Anyone at Road Atlanta this weekend?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be in Germany for business in a week or to so I'm considering taking a couple of days off and going to the ring with my stock NB Miata. A couple of questions.

Is it scary in an underpowered car?
Are helmets required?
What's with the speed limits? The one at Flugplatz and entrance won't be an issue obviously but are there just different sections of Breidscheid or does the limit change on conditions or something?

PS. Don't put trackdays on your resume unless it's a car industry job or something.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

mobby_6kl posted:

I'll be in Germany for business in a week or to so I'm considering taking a couple of days off and going to the ring with my stock NB Miata. A couple of questions.

Is it scary in an underpowered car?
Are helmets required?
What's with the speed limits? The one at Flugplatz and entrance won't be an issue obviously but are there just different sections of Breidscheid or does the limit change on conditions or something?

PS. Don't put trackdays on your resume unless it's a car industry job or something.

I did a few trips there last year, drove 'prepped' Suzuki Swift and BMW 128i. Underpowered cars are fine and preferred, helmets are not required, speed limits weren't in place when I went so can't help you there. Look here to make sure it will be a 'Tourist Day' - http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/drives-fun/drives/touristenfahrten/tourist-rides-nordschleife/opening-times-nordschleife.html Also read through the rules and stuff on this page.

Main things to keep in mind is:
- It's a public road, all laws apply
- Passing on right is illegal. Move right and signal to let faster traffic by, wait for a signal to pass
- Take it easy, always do at least one sighting lap before pushing it at all

Have fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You're not gonna hit any speed limits lol.
No helmet is fine.
Slow cars fine and fun coz not as much peril.
I got to lap the ring a few times with my job.