Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Next week's stevenbomb 3.

Have these bombs actually worked that well for increasing ratings beyond the first stevenbomb and maybe the adventure time finale? It's not like Gumball or Uncle Grandpa are plot-heavy shows that would make any five episodes back to back particularly more exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Also, heads up, this week is a Gumball bomb or whatever so new Gumball every night this week.

Holy poo poo yes.

I thought Gumball was cancelled or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Acne Rain posted:

Next week's stevenbomb 3.

Have these bombs actually worked that well for increasing ratings beyond the first stevenbomb and maybe the adventure time finale? It's not like Gumball or Uncle Grandpa are plot-heavy shows that would make any five episodes back to back particularly more exciting.

Also new Gravity Falls. New Gravity Falls and SU on the same night! :dance:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, Uncle Grandpa isn't amazing but it's gotten way better since the first few really terrible episodes. It has it's silly charm and Pizza Steve rules.

Also, heads up, this week is a Gumball bomb or whatever so new Gumball every night this week.

Always thought it was fine enough to see every now and then, then I spent a good while without ever catching it on air and when I did it was the most amazing thing where Uncle Grandpa and Pizza Steve are stuck in the middle of some electric stairs that had stopped and the nation was shocked, reporters and rescue teams and helicopters and everything.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My second favorite Uncle Grandpa is the one where Uncle Grandpa comes from the future to warn Pizza Steve that he's gong to do something to disappoint him.

My favorite one is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiHM_bTm9Ow

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Surprising no one, CN has renewed Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Surprising no one, CN has renewed Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe.

Have they renewed Gumball yet?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

This and the Ric Flair episode are pretty much the only two times I've really enoyed Uncle Grandpa.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't think the thing I read mentioned Gumball, they did renew Clarence though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Kids show thread, I need help- Is there anywhere to watch Season 3 and 4 of "Legend of Korra" on Roku without buying it or pirating it? I found seasons 1 and 2 on Prime TV, but 3 and 4 are paid only. I tried Googling it, but as there's a loving character NAMED Roku, it is making it difficult to get real hits.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

New Leaf posted:

Kids show thread, I need help- Is there anywhere to watch Season 3 and 4 of "Legend of Korra" on Roku without buying it or pirating it? I found seasons 1 and 2 on Prime TV, but 3 and 4 are paid only. I tried Googling it, but as there's a loving character NAMED Roku, it is making it difficult to get real hits.

Did you try looking at Nickelodeon's site? I know that's where they at least used to be, seeing as they never actually aired on TV.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

raditts posted:

Did you try looking at Nickelodeon's site? I know that's where they at least used to be, seeing as they never actually aired on TV.

I don't know if I can stream that through my Roku though..

Leximancer
Oct 24, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

As I recall it was already renewed up to Season 5. Also that Season 5 is going to be the end of the show.

Leximancer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 10, 2015

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leximancer posted:

As I recall it was already renewed up to Season 5. Also that Season 5 is going to be the end of the show.
Is Gumball a foreign show, or did I hear that wrong? I think that they're on Season 3 right now, so Season 5 is a long way off. We'll be seeing it on Cartoon Network for a while.

In addition to all the shows that Cartoon Network renewed that were mentioned, they also renewed Uncle Grandpa. I'm curious to see what they're going to do with the voice for Clarence. Skyler Page voiced him in the first season, but seeing as he was forced out due to multiple sexual harassment incidents, I think it's safe to say they're finding someone else. Someone somewhere speculated Dan Mintz, I'd be 100% for that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

In addition to all the shows that Cartoon Network renewed that were mentioned, they also renewed Uncle Grandpa. I'm curious to see what they're going to do with the voice for Clarence. Skyler Page voiced him in the first season, but seeing as he was forced out due to multiple sexual harassment incidents, I think it's safe to say they're finding someone else. Someone somewhere speculated Dan Mintz, I'd be 100% for that.

They already have a new voice for Clarence, Spencer Rothbell has been voicing him since episode 33 (though Skyler voiced him for episodes 36 and 37).

I find it interesting that Jeff's voice actor is 16. Though, Steven Universe's voice actor is 17.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

Is Gumball a foreign show, or did I hear that wrong? I think that they're on Season 3 right now, so Season 5 is a long way off. We'll be seeing it on Cartoon Network for a while.

It's made for Cartoon Network's European studio by a British guy

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Tonight's episode of Gumball was probably one of their more meta episodes, and that's saying a lot.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Looks like an Over the Garden Wall DVD is set to be released! No idea when, but Patrick McHale tweeted about it so it's definitely in the pipeline.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Here's a teaser for the new Danger Mouse. Luckily enough it's still animated in 2D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dmq13dD47g

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Who's even tapped to do that?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
As far as studios? I don't know. But DM is voiced by Alexander Armstrong (English comedian?) and Penfold by Kevn Edlon.

There's some stunt casting in the show, like Stephen Fry for Colonel K, and John Oliver and Lena Headley were just announced for the cast.

Since it's being produced with the BBC I would presume some British studio would be working on it, but you never know. It'll be distributed on Netflix.

http://www.avclub.com/article/john-oliver-and-lena-headey-lend-their-voices-dang-222196

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 13, 2015

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, I just don't get Sonic Boom. I kind of get into a solipsistic quandry. Who is this for? What is their target market?

The show can sometimes be good, but when it's bad, it misses the mark so far that you can't even tell where it was aiming.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm still sort of amazed Sonic is still a thing given how incredibly dated and tied to the early 90s it is. I guess Sega needs money, but the franchise should have been put out of its misery 15 years ago at the latest

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 15, 2015

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It cannot be overstated how huge of a money-printing machine sonic is

The only weird thing about sonic honestly is that they keep on trying to appeal to their more venerated fans

Like soniccycle.jpg only exists because sega approaches their golden ip where they keep trying to rehabilitate sonics image before being lazy worthless fucks and half-assing it yet again

Honestly I don't know why they do this, they build what are essentially brand new engines for their games they use once or twice before redesigning everything again or switching developers for no loving reason

Honestly if I was segas CEO I would annualize the gently caress out of sonic, focus super heavily on the cartoon tie-ins and lean even more heavy on the mythos while simultaneously making it even more of a shameless DBZ ripoff

Yeah sure gently caress it add hundreds of new furry friends for sonic to interact with, just make it all one completely shameless crash grab supported by some smaller dev house turning out annual sonic games made on the cheap with the exact same mediocre engine year in and out that are all of the same lower quality, bolstered by the fact that sonics dumb fuckin face is plastered everywhere

Rerelease sonics 1-3 all the loving time so kids get essentially suckered in by exposure to both the "good" stuff (sonic 3 and knuckles was the only good one tbh) and the dumb cartoons and poo poo and because kids are morons they'll buy the games and the dolls and the comics and whatever the gently caress else sega dangles in front of their faces that has sonics face on it

It's the fact that sega makes a token effort with sonic that makes it so weird when they could and at this point probably should treat sonic like a licensed property like spongebob that only exists to make money hand over fist by essentially ripping off 8-year-olds

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 15, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, I just don't get Sonic Boom. I kind of get into a solipsistic quandry. Who is this for? What is their target market?

The show can sometimes be good, but when it's bad, it misses the mark so far that you can't even tell where it was aiming.

It's too different from its traditional design to even reach wide appeal with the hardcore Sonic fans. It's a really odd beast.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

icantfindaname posted:

I'm still sort of amazed Sonic is still a thing given how incredibly dated and tied to the early 90s it is. I guess Sega needs money, but the franchise should have been put out of its misery 15 years ago at the latest

Did you not see the link to a new Danger Mouse show several posts above you? Doesn't matter if one of them is more culturally relevant, if people still like Scooby Doo, Danger Mouse, Tom and Jerry, Mickey, Tintin and Popeye, despite how many decades old they admit they are in their own ads, people will successfully sell them off to a new crowd or at least to a new crowd of investors. Everything old is new, etc.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Olive Oyl is a particularly egregious example, because a character whose whole schtick is being the damsel in distress is really not something that should be offered to a 2016 audience.

(that being said, the animation in that video is really nice)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

I'm still sort of amazed Sonic is still a thing given how incredibly dated and tied to the early 90s it is.
I never thought of it like that but it makes total sense. Sonic's shoes are modeled after Michael Jordan's.

Toxxupation posted:

Like soniccycle.jpg only exists because sega approaches their golden ip where they keep trying to rehabilitate sonics image before being lazy worthless fucks and half-assing it yet again
The sad part is that they had their chance to break the cycle after Sonic Colors and Generations. I guess Sega decided, "That should hold the little sons of bitches over for another 10 years," and then proceeded to make poo poo like Sonic Boom (the game, not the cartoon, which I didn't even know existed before this thread).

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sonic Boom is weird because I feel it's so close to being oddly good but it just seems to fall just short. Like the show randomly has jokes that hit and episodes that are silly in the right way and I like what they've done with the characters mostly but most of the time I just end up feeling bored and overall underwhelmed. Rarely do I see a show that is that close to being good and it's even rarer where it's so hard to define what's holding it back.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Crabtree posted:

Did you not see the link to a new Danger Mouse show several posts above you? Doesn't matter if one of them is more culturally relevant, if people still like Scooby Doo, Danger Mouse, Tom and Jerry, Mickey, Tintin and Popeye, despite how many decades old they admit they are in their own ads, people will successfully sell them off to a new crowd or at least to a new crowd of investors. Everything old is new, etc.

The thing about really old stuff is that it kinda loops back into being novel again. Like the Tin-Tin film was in a 1920s aesthetic but anyone under 100 wouldn't remember that so it's almost a fantasy aesthetic. On the other hand, you don't see stuff for (eg) He-Man except in those car commercials.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

He-Man got rebooted in the mid-2000s. It's probably due for another reboot sometime in the next 5-10 years.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

computer parts posted:

The thing about really old stuff is that it kinda loops back into being novel again. Like the Tin-Tin film was in a 1920s aesthetic but anyone under 100 wouldn't remember that so it's almost a fantasy aesthetic. On the other hand, you don't see stuff for (eg) He-Man except in those car commercials.

raditts posted:

He-Man got rebooted in the mid-2000s. It's probably due for another reboot sometime in the next 5-10 years.

I know a lot of people didn't give this show the attention it needed to survive 2 seasons, but come on. Is 13 years really that long ago? Also the actual 80s show itself is being referenced in the new Toy Soldiers: War Chest as its very easy these days to market 80s nostalgia, let alone allow some people to reenact their childhood by making GI Joe figures literally fight He-man toys in a video game.

Older ideas have a foot in the door that "newer" ideas don't. You'd be surprised what can be greenlit just because it existed before.

As for Sonic, it always seems to just survive. Don't ask me how. New blood likes the Boom style, thankfully not to the degree of say TTGO or Gumball, but enough for it to still be around and make another game. And judging by the offical twitter account, there is some self-aware humor there despite all the ups and downs on the old Mobius loop.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The 2002 He-Man intro was pretty good, with Adam attempting to give the 1980s intro before being interrupted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbRwj1Kj3xk

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Between the nostalgia factor and the seemingly decent animation, I am surprised that it made such a small impact. I had never heard of it before!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't remember much of it but it was fun while I was watching it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It was a decent show but it was aggressively unmemorable. I can barely remember a single thing about it.

Crabtree posted:

I know a lot of people didn't give this show the attention it needed to survive 2 seasons, but come on. Is 13 years really that long ago? Also the actual 80s show itself is being referenced in the new Toy Soldiers: War Chest as its very easy these days to market 80s nostalgia, let alone allow some people to reenact their childhood by making GI Joe figures literally fight He-man toys in a video game.

Holy poo poo, a new Toy Soldiers game? It helps that it's a pretty good game on its own even before you bring 80's product placement into it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 16, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skeletor was the best part of the 00s He-Man. He was just a constant dick the entire show. Also great was the flashback episode about Man At Arms brother where they had to figure out a way to say that two characters had sex.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
The 00's He-Man I think suffered mostly from the fact it was still trying to push toys on the viewer (e.g. Snake Armor He-Man) and was heavily weighed on by corporate/marketing. It did fine but when it didn't fare as well as was hoped, it got poo poo-canned.

I will second the fact Skeletor was the best part of the show. Just a little cheese but a complete ruthless rear end in a top hat. I still love his almost gleeful "Oh, and He-Man......I LIED!!" bit from their first fight.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Crabtree posted:

Older ideas have a foot in the door that "newer" ideas don't. You'd be surprised what can be greenlit just because it existed before.

As for Sonic, it always seems to just survive. Don't ask me how. New blood likes the Boom style, thankfully not to the degree of say TTGO or Gumball, but enough for it to still be around and make another game. And judging by the offical twitter account, there is some self-aware humor there despite all the ups and downs on the old Mobius loop.

The girl that ran social media for Sega left last month and whoever took over is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The Thundercats remake from a few years was really pretty and did a lot of good little things like having Wily Kit and Kat be cute and non-annoying but the actual script was weak as hell. In a better world it could have been a great adventure show.