Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Dang, I can't find a stupid image where a cartoon in a kid's book suggests the solution to a problem is to play doom 2 for 3 months and shoot up your school. I thought I'd saved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Metal Gear Solid is still a really cool game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Colonel posted:

Yeah, but I still like Twin Snakes better.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

If you're playing all of the metal gear games in a row in July to prepare yourself for TPP, there is a thread you may enjoy in the Imp Zone...just a hot tip from a fellow MG fan.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

If you're playing all of the metal gear games in a row in July to prepare yourself for TPP, there is a thread you may enjoy in the Imp Zone...just a hot tip from a fellow MG fan.

Heard this post in Otacon's voice.... thank you.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Hello game people, should I get Baldur's Gate 1 or 2? Never played either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

krampster2 posted:

Hello game people, should I get Baldur's Gate 1 or 2? Never played either.

No, play Icewind Dale + Heart of Winter instead, it is much more fun than either of those.

The story is worse but lol @ playing dungeons and durgons for the story, if you want a story play Pillars of Eternity, it has a pretty decent one

:ninja: edit: planescape torment also has a passable story and great setting, too bad it falls apart completely in the last act

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

:ninja: edit: planescape torment also has a passable story and great setting, too bad it falls apart completely in the last act
What? No it doesn't, the ending is great (Like one of the very best video game endings period great), at least narratively.

You should play Torment and just cheat, the combat sucks, but everything else, including the roleplaying, is great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The ending is great, but the third act as a whole is a mess.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

The ending is great, but the third act as a whole is a mess.
Yeah, Curst sucked, but if you cheat it won't be a problem.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Yeah, Baldur's Gate 1+2 were great when they came out but outside of that very specific context it doesn't hold up. Unless they release a time machine that lets you go back to being a kid on summer break with infinite free time who thinks that the phrase "giant miniature space hamster" is the funniest thing ever and a villain who is evil for reasons other than evil's sake is some deep mindblowing poo poo it's just going to be a boring unbalanced slog.

If you want to play an Infinity engine game play Planescape: Torment if you're interested in story or Icewind Dale if you want super :spergin: tactical combat, otherwise just play Pillars of Eternity because it captures the feel of playing those old games while actually being fun to play.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

Cool, thanks for the recs guys

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
HITMAN looks ~okay~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PKczQqeJxw

But yeah it is basically another console early access title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHr7F3eiPjw

Parker Lewis posted:

This would be a great topic for a Ben Kuchera opinion piece.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Metal Gear Solid is awesome, but I eternally loving hate the first Sniper Wolf fight. I am terrible at aiming the PSG-1.

krampster2
Jun 26, 2014

why do movies look fine at 24 fps but games don't

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

krampster2 posted:

movies have real motion blur, and also the flashing between frames helps trick your mind into thinking it's all continuous motion. higher FPS movies actually look smoother and more real but then you get people who get genuine motion sickness like many did from the hobbit's 48fps screenings

a 24fps movie on your tv will look shittier than one in a theater

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

krampster2 posted:

why do movies look fine at 24 fps

people have been trying to figure out why this is true for like 100 years.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

krampster2 posted:

each frame on a movie contain a blur from the whole window of time between each frame, so the transition between frames is practically seamless, games only have a flat image of a instant so the transition to the next frame seems like a "jump" between two very distinct points in space.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I kind of wanted to see a game that would render stuff at 120 fps internally but only present 30 fps and use the extra frames to create movie-like blur. The input lag would be console tier but it might be a nice effect for story-driven games like telltale stuff.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

program666 posted:

I kind of wanted to see a game that would render stuff at 120 fps internally but only present 30 fps and use the extra frames to create movie-like blur. The input lag would be console tier but it might be a nice effect for story-driven games like telltale stuff.

Guilty Gear Xrd does the opposite, where they have 60fps animations for every character but they purposely lock and freeze frames to mimick the look of drawn sprites with minimal animations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

krampster2 posted:

one is the real world captured byu a machine which tkaes lots and lots of pciotures of actual light and movment, the other is images rendered frame by frame.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I now own the entire series of Hyper Dimension neptunia and I have yet to pay money for any of them. :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

one is the real world captured byu a machine which tkaes lots and lots of pciotures of actual light and movment, the other is images rendered frame by frame.

Stux with the truth bomb out of nowhere!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

people have been trying to figure out why this is true for like 100 years.

Some guy in Great Yarmouth: Gosh, why the heck do movies look okay in 24 frames per second but video games don't?
Guy's friend: What are you talking about? We're about to die from the zeppelin bombs, you bloody idiot!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Some guy in Great Yarmouth: Gosh, why the heck do movies look okay in 24 frames per second but video games don't?
Guy's friend: What are you talking about? We're about to die from the zeppelin bombs, you bloody idiot!
It's true, war disrupts developments in art.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yet it furthers others.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's true, war disrupts developments in art.

But some of those Nazi propaganda films had great cinematography :confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I bet you couldn't even bring a 3DS into a foxhole, because the little lights and sounds would attract German bullets.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Literal console wars. "Mein Gott, Ich hoere die musische von Uber Hans Brueder!"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
being a big fan of video games, i really enjoy playing games. i think every year that passes it is better to be a gamer because there are more video games. you have all cumulative years of games. i wonder how much gaming my future grand children will enjoy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

being a big fan of video games, i really enjoy playing games. i think every year that passes it is better to be a gamer because there are more video games. you have all cumulative years of games. i wonder how much gaming my future grand children will enjoy
They will slave in the sugar mines for giant ants.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The experience will be remarkably like Candy Crush.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Just about to enter Mount Horu in Ori, how close am I to the end?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I'm sad I missed the Crypt of the Necrodancer flash sale.

RIP

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

They will slave in the sugar mines for giant ants.

i like this future

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In non framerate news I have been playing The Evil Within in July thanks to grabbing it for 12 dollars. The Evil Within is a great game but boy did they really run with the idea that it doesn't have to make any sense. I feel like they went a little too far with it because you change setpieces to something totally and completely different sometimes with no explanation every like half an hour. It's cool and I get what they're going for, but I wish there was maybe a bit less randomness.

edit: I did like though that they had a setpiece that was just 100% in the daytime. That was a nice surprise. It was very pretty, too, except that the game's AA looks kinda bleh.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 16, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Jesus last time I played warframe was a year ago, man did they flesh it out. Seriously check it out, some of the best coop play I've had.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nevermind finished Ori, that was an excellent romp

Now on to either Axiom Verge or Guacamelee, I'll decide while at work :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Nevermind finished Ori, that was an excellent romp

Now on to either Axiom Verge or Guacamelee, I'll decide while at work :(

Guacamelee is much much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

In non framerate news I have been playing The Evil Within in July thanks to grabbing it for 12 dollars.

I was extremely interested in the evil within because it's a shameless re4 clone.

then I discovered that it doesn't have the goofy campiness of re4 and I don't like the sound of that one bit!!

• Locked thread