Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
OK so those of you who followed my EN in the chat thread last month know that my wife has a scratched bumper cover on her Civic and blah blah blah we're having it fixed.

Since we're now wasting money on fixing up her low value DD I figure I'd throw some time in there as well and try to fix the scratches from when she was keyed 10 years ago because I'm a completionist and if we're trying to make the car look good we should go all the way.

I tried this once about two years ago using touch up paint and Langka. It may have reduced the depth of the scratch a bit and colored it more to look like the rest of the body, but it's still evident at 10 ft and closer.

If I were to tackle this, would I want to just try:

• Compound and polish
  • Wetsand, compound and polish
  • Wetsand the inside of the scratch using a credit card, then use touch up paint, then wetsand the dried paint, compound and polish
  • Some other technique?

I've never wetsanded before so I'm a bit scared of that, but this might be a good learning opportunity.

There are about a half dozen scratches like this along the passenger side of her car, each about 1mm thick and 3-5 inches long:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

If it's deep enough you may get better results with a filler of some kind. I know stores near me carry a fairly light putty specifically for deep scratches. I got some in black for my car that had some wide scratches down to the metal and it evened it out pretty well. Still needs wetsanding afterwards but as long as you're not going at it with #120 or something equally ridiculous it's not that terrifying. Just remember that you need several grades of increasing fineness. Do that part properly and finish with an ultra fine micro compound and you should be shiny and scratch free.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So I left some duct tape on my seat and the heat caused some adhesive residue to stick to it. Any ideas how to clean this? Cloth seats.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Bird took a crap on my hood to I used some water and dusted the poo poo off. Should be fine right? What products should I carry in my car to deal with this?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A detailing spray, such as Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer, and microfibre cloth(s).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can also use one of the waterless car washes as well. A bottle of Meguiars Ultimate Wash and Wax Anywhere is a good prepackaged product for this.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

InitialDave posted:

A detailing spray, such as Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer, and microfibre cloth(s).

I have these + the spray wax in the car. I feel slightly sperg, but it's great to have when you need it.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I washed my car.

Mcguires ultimate wash and wax, hot rims, ultimate interior poo poo, blah blah blah

then this bee tried to pollinate my car for two hours.

Looks so much better in real sunlight. There's still a few bugs that I couldn't get off, guess I'll have to clay it some day.

gently caress YOU STONE CHIPS!!!!!!!!

Here's a picture of my uncles nightmare of a pickup, white truck parked under pine trees for a couple years. I don't think he has intentions of ever washing it again which is a real shame. What would it take to clean this mess up?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

fps_bill posted:

Here's a picture of my uncles nightmare of a pickup, white truck parked under pine trees for a couple years. I don't think he has intentions of ever washing it again which is a real shame. What would it take to clean this mess up?
I've dealt with stuff like that before and, provided the paint underneath is basically sound (I'd always rather deal with ignored stuff than something that's been "cleaned" with a bloody scrubbing brush or whatever), a good washing down with washing-up liquid or similar followed by a "normal" cleaning/detailing session can be surprisingly effective.

The worst part is the semi-hardened pine sap, and the needles that get sodding everywhere.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

More like "Detailing never starts" because it won't.stop.raining.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

fps_bill posted:

Thorough wash with Dawn dish soap, claybar, cut with M105 and wool pad, finish with M205, finishing polish if you desire, top with paint sealant. As long as the clearcoat is intact it'll look brand new.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I want to get a polisher tomorrow on amazon prime day if one goes on sale, is the PC 7424 still the go to ?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a decent budget choice.

I've replaced mine with the new Megs MT300 and it's pretty drat nice. It's a lot easier to get consistent results with it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

always be closing posted:

I want to get a polisher tomorrow on amazon prime day if one goes on sale, is the PC 7424 still the go to ?

I've got no complaints with my PC, even at over 15 years old. I've replaced the backing pad and need to replace the power cord... other than that, the thing is a beast that just keeps going.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Meg's MT300 is coming up on Prime Day deals.

Edit - So is the Chemical Guys Torq 10FX as a kit.

Scott808 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jul 15, 2015

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Scott808 posted:

Meg's MT300 is coming up on Prime Day deals.

Edit - So is the Chemical Guys Torq 10FX as a kit.

Nice, I just got up, on the wait list for the torq kit. The Mt300 goes off at 6:59 am est.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Nice, I just got up, on the wait list for the torq kit. The Mt300 goes off at 6:59 am est.

Torq was only a couple bucks less than normal Amazon price. MT300 at $183 is less than $40 off. Not great buys, but good if you're in the market for one.

I was hoping the MT300 would be ~150 and I'd replace my PC instead of putting a new power cord on it. Looks like I'm ordering a power cord.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Torq was only a couple bucks less than normal Amazon price. MT300 at $183 is less than $40 off. Not great buys, but good if you're in the market for one.

I was hoping the MT300 would be ~150 and I'd replace my PC instead of putting a new power cord on it. Looks like I'm ordering a power cord.
I have been waiting to get a polisher so I just grabbed the mt300 at that price. Seems beloved. Now a new question, what size backing plate and pads? 5"?

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Anyone know how to get husky liners back to black?

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

I have been waiting to get a polisher so I just grabbed the mt300 at that price. Seems beloved. Now a new question, what size backing plate and pads? 5"?

I've been happy with Buff And Shine pads; the Uber from Detailer's Domain are the same, but with the printed intended use on the back - http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/detailing/156957-introducing-uber-flat-foam-buffing-pads-detailer-s-domain.html .

Auto Detailing Solutions used to have the 5.5" pads without the recessed backing (the velcro goes all the way to the edge, where the others are slightly smaller than the pad itself like in the link above). The ADS 4 and 6 inch pads are the standard recessed velcro. I find it easier to center the pad/plate with the recessed velcro backing.

Pretty sure my backing plate is a DD Uber, which is probably a Buff And Shine plate. Amazon also carries Chemical Guys plates, which I think are Lake Country plates - the standard yellow ones at least - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQVF8J0/ . I don't know anything about the red Torq ones; I haven't seen those plates sold under another brand, and that is enough to make me shy away from them.

I think a 3.5" plate/4" pads are handy for working smaller spaces/panels. The general consensus is 5.5" for most DAs, but I don't know how much of that was carryover from when the PC was the only DA in town. Rotation on the PC was easily stopped. Personally, I haven't had a problem keeping a 6" pad spinning on a GG6 on an open panel. IME it's the curves that will stop any (unforced rotation) DA, no matter the power or the size of the pad.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I am trying to remove the ghost image of some old bumper stickers on my jeep and Its a pain in the rear end. Here is the worst offender:

I have tried liberally applied goo gone, Mr. Clean magic erasers, and rigorous application of a clay bar. None of these things put a dent in it. I'm almost at the point where I want to put a big American flag over it and forget about it. Is there a paint safe polishing wheel or something that I could attach to a cordless drill or angle grinder that might be the next step?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Thanks for that info scott808.

Wow that sticker, just double down and get the coexist one too.

Seriously though, I use the $10 3m eraser wheel from amazon and it works great, the kit with the drill big adapter is like another $2.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Be careful, the eraser wheels can burn through paint, especially newer paint. :suicide:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think I'd jump right to "replacement bumper sticker" at that point. That's a mess.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

If you have tried Goo Gone and a magic eraser and it still looks like that... I'm worried that the crazing you see in the picture is actually showing that the sticker ate through the paint.

At that point, I'd try a wet sand with an 800 grit sandpaper and test the theory. I'd say you have good odds that covering or repainting is the only option.

Freedom isn't free, it costs you your paint.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Meguiars Microfiber system. The poo poo is loving magical.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

meatpimp posted:

Freedom isn't free, it costs you your paint.

:patriot:

I'd maybe try buffing compound before wet sanding, but I fear meat may be right. :(

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001
Hi, thread. Some maybe handy stuff I ran across browsing Amazon.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQVF8J0/ - $3 off coupon for the Chemical Guys 5 inch DA backing plate (almost sure that this is made by Lake Country). Stack with Subscribe And Save and you're down to $9.71.

$2.50 off these spray bottles that have a Tolco 320CR spray head - http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABYVT64/ . I really like the Tolco spray heads. Meguiar's also resells them as their spray head.

There's also a bunch of other Chemical Guys coupons if you don't mind their stuff.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had a dirt spot on my seat, so I cleaned it with Resolve. Now I have a really bright clean spot on my seat.

Evil Crouton
Oct 4, 2004

The Amish scare me
My brand new black Fiesta ST has an extremely fine and light scratch on it already. It is maybe 5" long and at the worst part I think I can barely feel it with my nail, although that could be in my head. Assuming I currently have nothing but the most basic car washing supplies, what should I get and what can I do about this scratch? Or should I bring it to a professional?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Scott808 posted:

Hi, thread. Some maybe handy stuff I ran across browsing Amazon.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQVF8J0/ - $3 off coupon for the Chemical Guys 5 inch DA backing plate (almost sure that this is made by Lake Country). Stack with Subscribe And Save and you're down to $9.71.

$2.50 off these spray bottles that have a Tolco 320CR spray head - http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABYVT64/ . I really like the Tolco spray heads. Meguiar's also resells them as their spray head.

There's also a bunch of other Chemical Guys coupons if you don't mind their stuff.

Thanks again Scott! Saved me a bunch on a backing plate and the pads. So now, all I need is product. Ive got Collinite 845 for my wax already, but need a compound and polish to remove light scratches on two black vehicles.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

Some joker rear ended my brand new accord twice on the interstate today, and no amount of detailing is going to fix it. Got my girlfriend telling me that's why I shouldn't bother obsessing over my paint and how I wash my car.

:negative:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

JackDarko posted:

Some joker rear ended my brand new accord twice on the interstate today, and no amount of detailing is going to fix it. Got my girlfriend telling me that's why I shouldn't bother obsessing over my paint and how I wash my car.

Time to get a new girlfriend!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Wait what? Did you get their insurance information? If not did you report it as a hit and run? No reason they should get away with an accident like that.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

Wait what? Did you get their insurance information? If not did you report it as a hit and run? No reason they should get away with an accident like that.

Yeah I recorded all of his information and filed a claim. My girlfriend just thinks this is the world teaching me some sort of lesson.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
My white wheels and appeal of playing with a foam cannon got me to buy a pressure washer :toot:. Course I haven't had a chance to use it yet so my wheels are still gray/black and car is...well, about as dirty as it usually is.

JackDarko posted:

I just noticed the twice :psyduck:, how/when did the second happen after the first?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

japtor posted:

My white wheels and appeal of playing with a foam cannon got me to buy a pressure washer :toot:. Course I haven't had a chance to use it yet so my wheels are still gray/black and car is...well, about as dirty as it usually is.

I just noticed the twice :psyduck:, how/when did the second happen after the first?

When we were merging back into the interstate he gunned it, as I was already merged into the lane. He was looking at his phone so he must have assumed I was going to wait around.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Evil Crouton posted:

My brand new black Fiesta ST has an extremely fine and light scratch on it already. It is maybe 5" long and at the worst part I think I can barely feel it with my nail, although that could be in my head. Assuming I currently have nothing but the most basic car washing supplies, what should I get and what can I do about this scratch? Or should I bring it to a professional?

1. Buy some wax
2. Wax your car
3. Get used to the idea that you bought a black car, which show of scratches like no other color and notoriously well known for being a challenge to keep nicely detailed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
What he said.
Black looks really really good when its clean.
And really bad the other 99% of the time.

I flat out won't consider black for that reason. I suspect my new dark metallic green won't be too much better, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Buy poor boys black hole for small rear end scratches if you can't be arsed machining.