Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phanatic posted:

Is Siri really the example you want to use there? I don't think I've ever successfully used it for anything completely non-trivial. It can't find me the nearest coffee shop along my route, it can't find me a public parking lot in Ocean City, it's not hooked in to the platform's other flagship apps (Like, "Siri, rate this song 4 stars" should actually be a thing, as should "Siri, add this song to [playlist name].")

Does anyone think Siri's anything more than a gimmick? What do you use it for?

"It doesn't do anything non-trivial!"
*lists trivial poo poo*

who the gently caress uses iTunes star ratings? That's some obsolete poo poo.

Google Now and Siri have navigated me around Vegas just fine, told me if stores are closing or open yet, settled more than a handful of debates, including asking them "what the gently caress is this song playing?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Voice commands are ok, but they do lack the immediacy or accuracy you need for certain things - for example if you want to call Bob and you have three Bobs and all have home, work and mobile numbers it's a bit of a slog confirming who vs a quick tap on the phone.

I'm surprised how well Google Now is at working through my sloshed Aussie accent, the main advantage is that it actively guesses what the context is instead of trying to ID words then asking for a confirmation.

Though text-to-voice is always going to be hilarious, especially when trying to pronounce Australian locations, namely Aboriginal names. It always seems to put bizarre stresses on vowels so you tend to miss streets as you're trying to decode what the hell it just said.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Antifreeze Head posted:

Another fun article from 2007 has 30 technology predictions that turned out to be dead wrong.

These were a lot of fun.

quote:

14. “The cinema is little more than a fad. It’s canned drama. What audiences really want to see is flesh and blood on the stage.” -– Charlie Chaplin, actor, producer, director, and studio founder, 1916

15. “The horse is here to stay but the automobile is only a novelty – a fad.” — The president of the Michigan Savings Bank advising Henry Ford’s lawyer, Horace Rackham, not to invest in the Ford Motor Co., 1903

I remember a lot of people I knew saying similar things about the internet in the 1990s. My dad told me he thought it was the short-wave radio of the decade. I said "it's more like the television of the '90s."

This one is especially funny:

quote:

29. “Rail travel at high speed is not possible because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia.” — Dr Dionysys Larder (1793-1859), professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy, University College London.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

WebDog posted:

Voice commands are ok, but they do lack the immediacy or accuracy you need for certain things - for example if you want to call Bob and you have three Bobs and all have home, work and mobile numbers it's a bit of a slog confirming who vs a quick tap on the phone.

I'm surprised how well Google Now is at working through my sloshed Aussie accent, the main advantage is that it actively guesses what the context is instead of trying to ID words then asking for a confirmation.

Though text-to-voice is always going to be hilarious, especially when trying to pronounce Australian locations, namely Aboriginal names. It always seems to put bizarre stresses on vowels so you tend to miss streets as you're trying to decode what the hell it just said.

You can say "Call bob home" or "call bob mobile". Try other stuff too, experiment. It's pretty surprising how much it understands.

Also yes I have an aussie accent too and it fumbles with our unusual town and city names sometimes.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Phanatic posted:

Is Siri really the example you want to use there? I don't think I've ever successfully used it for anything completely non-trivial. It can't find me the nearest coffee shop along my route, it can't find me a public parking lot in Ocean City, it's not hooked in to the platform's other flagship apps (Like, "Siri, rate this song 4 stars" should actually be a thing, as should "Siri, add this song to [playlist name]."

Does anyone think Siri's anything more than a gimmick? What do you use it for?

I don't use Siri for anything since I have an android. :smug:

Really though, pointing directly to Siri is perhaps a bit snide, but speaking of voice recognition as a whole I certainly wouldn't say it is as fully featured as it is on Star Trek, but it is well past the point where it can be considered a flop. Your examples of non-trivial things voice recognition can't yet do rank towards the top of my list for completely trivial use, but it works fine for getting an address into the GPS. That seems non-trivial to me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Me, I have a lot of playlists based on them too. And I even turned on the function so that I can give them half star ratings.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Siri gets cited because it was the first real voice recognition that got wide spread marketing, not because it's the best.

This is what Siri translated when I tried to ask it how tall Arnold Schwarzenegger is.

I get it, it's a tough name to pronounce. But why does Siri even know THAT word?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Krispy Kareem posted:

Siri gets cited because it was the first real voice recognition that got wide spread marketing, not because it's the best.

This is what Siri translated when I tried to ask it how tall Arnold Schwarzenegger is.

I get it, it's a tough name to pronounce. But why does Siri even know THAT word?

Music playback.

Siri recognized "gently caress You" by Cee Lo Green without me mentioning him by name or having him in my library, I'd imagine compatibility with all swearing and slurs is kind of necessary for music recognition.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Swatch is a pretty famous watch brand, why would Siri not know it. :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Siri pronounces “Schwarzenegger” just like my grandmother. :monocle:

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Just Winging It posted:

As far as nuclear powered devices go, you could argue that anything that runs on electricity is nuclear powered if the majority of it is supplied by a nuclear power plant. It's a bit of a reach, but still.

I'm still disappointed we never got nuclear cars. What's a little fender bender when you have the power of the atom!

The Ford Nucleon I think should at least count as some kind of odd technology, even if it was just a concept model.

Edit: Rear veiw of it,

Looks like the part that isn't taken up by the reactor is all air vents.

BillyJoeBob has a new favorite as of 19:26 on Jul 16, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BillyJoeBob posted:

I'm still disappointed we never got nuclear cars. What's a little fender bender when you have the power of the atom!

The Ford Nucleon I think should at least count as some kind of odd technology, even if it was just a concept model.

Is the rector in the back? And was it so heavy that wheel base was actually viable? Looks like you could tip it onto its front bumper by leaning on it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

It's an Android tablet with an emulator.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I use Siri to set the alarms on my phone, start timers, text when I don't have free hands, call when I don't have a free hand to scroll through my contacts, look random stuff up on my phone and, since I live in the O'Hare flight path, I ask her what stupid plane just went by.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ranbo das posted:

Chip and Pin is going to be the de facto swap to chip and pin for the USA, although from a consumer's point of view I never got the fuss. Doesn't that just mean that you have to memorize a new pin for each credit card you own? Seems like a hassle for pretty much no benefit to me. I get that corporations and companies benefit, so I can see why they'd like it.
The current transition is to chip and sig in the U.S.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Is the rector in the back? And was it so heavy that wheel base was actually viable? Looks like you could tip it onto its front bumper by leaning on it.

It was never anything more than a mockup, a concept of "Gee, if nuclear reactors keep getting smaller..." It was never seriously explored enough to start figuring out any engineering details like weight.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
To be honest, I don't use Siri that often but I think it's mainly for when using your phone isn't really an option e.g. when driving.

I tend to use it the most for stuff that's made easier by talking rather than actually using the phone, like setting an alarm or a timer (much easier to say "Set timer for 15 minutes" than it is to unlock the phone, go into the clock app, click timer, set it to 15 minutes, hit "start".)

That being said, Cortana (windows 10's version of Siri) is near-useless because there's a huge difference between using a phone while driving and talking out lout to the computer in your living room.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBbCsNS8nco

It'll be cool when these glasses are obsolete technology and it's just built into contact lenses.

I love each and everyone of these videos where a colorblind person gets to finally see colors, or a deaf person gets to hear, or the one where they put glasses on a baby and she lights up like a goddamn beacon at seeing her parents' faces.

Like "gently caress yeah, technology!".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I love each and everyone of these videos where a colorblind person gets to finally see colors, or a deaf person gets to hear, or the one where they put glasses on a baby and she lights up like a goddamn beacon at seeing her parents' faces.

call me a huge baby but I cannot watch videos like these without tearing up

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

KozmoNaut posted:

I feel the same way. Really cool prosthetics too - like...holy poo poo we did it. The cochlear implant ones are always amazing, but I really liked this guy's "what the gently caress?" reaction.

You can't exactly toss a cochlear implant into someone's head and be like "happy birthday lol!".

edit: This one is great. The dude is trying so hard to act cool about it until he flips his poo poo over some flowers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnJ0vM17M7o

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Jul 16, 2015

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

People who have a lot of entire albums ripped and sometimes want to listen to only the best tracks. Next stupid question, please!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

blugu64 posted:

So people without small bills...how do you pay for things like Parking meters, or one of those parking attendants at a sporting event?

I'm in New Zealand's capital and given that street parking costs $1.50 to $4 an hour (usually closer to the high end of that range) this is not an issue - you'd be at the meter forever trying to feed 5c coins in.

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Do you mean me?

NZ has $1/$2 coins and everything is rounded to the nearest 10c. So long as you have coins you're fine for parking meters. Not so sure about events where you have to pay in cash, but every food place at sports stadiums etc. have Eftpos machines, and even parking attendants and other people like taxi drivers will have mobile Eftpos machines in their cars/bags/stalls/whatever so there are usually ways to pay for things without cash.

Doing a bit of travelling makes you really appreciate NZ money - the coins are all relatively recent designs so are small and lightweight, and the notes are all fairly durable plastic.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I'm red green colorblind and had no idea about those glasses! I can't even imagine what it would be like, as my colorblindness is apparently on the bad side. Man, gotta find a place to test them...

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BillyJoeBob posted:

A better example for the thread is the Chrystler Turbine Car built around a 45k RPM gas turbine that could run off everything from gasoline to tequila (literally). There were 55 of them built. All but nine of them were destroyed, and currently only three are still operational.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SubG posted:

A better example for the thread is the Chrystler Turbine Car built around a 45k RPM gas turbine that could run off everything from gasoline to tequila (literally). There were 55 of them built. All but nine of them were destroyed, and currently only three are still operational.

And, surprise, Jay Leno has one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2A5ijU3Ivs

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had one of the e-readers from Sony they reference. If you were basing the future of electronic books on your experience with that (or more specifically the Sony Connect store) then yes, e-readers are a flop.
Yeah, they sucked balls. Mine just stopped working after two weeks or so.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

He also has a remarkable chin

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Gasmask posted:

I'm red green colorblind and had no idea about those glasses! I can't even imagine what it would be like, as my colorblindness is apparently on the bad side. Man, gotta find a place to test them...

Don't get your hopes too high up, since they only work for some colorblind people.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

And, surprise, Jay Leno has one.
He also has his jet motorcycle. :science:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM7PK5d2Yug

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBbCsNS8nco

It'll be cool when these glasses are obsolete technology and it's just built into contact lenses.

Some people can't wear contacts (im one) so i dont think glasses will be 100% obsolete. Though having the option for those people who can wear contacts (lucky bastards) would be great!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

John Big Booty posted:

Yeah, they sucked balls. Mine just stopped working after two weeks or so.

I thought the hardware itself was great. Unlike every other Sony product, it actually took regular SD cards for storage and the e-ink screen was as good as anything else at the time. This was before WiFi or touchscreens so the batteries could last a month on a single charge.

It was Sony's effort at an online book store that sucked so bad. I remember them bundling 30 free books with the e-reader. These were all public domain titles and in a special section of their store. So you'd go through it in alphabetical order, pick your copy of Aesop's fables and maybe Beowolf. At that point you realize it's restarting you back at A each time you pick a title. So you had to cycle through scores of very slow loading pages as you trudged through your 30 titles. By the time you picked a S title, it'd take almost 5 minutes to get back to where you were. It was easier if you knew your title, but the storefront was dog slow regardless.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I still have my original Kobo WiFi which I bought for like $50 when they were phasing them out. The thing is about eReaders is once you have one, there's really no reason to upgrade them until they break.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

I don't care if that handles like a London Bus and accelerates like a hippo; I want one.

That sound!

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Cybiko I had the extreme version when I was a teen.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ohyeah, I've seen that one before. I dearly wish Chrysler had been able to put it in production, if nothing else then to see how it would have done in the hands of the public (and with a decade of refinements).

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

TyrsHTML posted:

Some people can't wear contacts (im one) so i dont think glasses will be 100% obsolete. Though having the option for those people who can wear contacts (lucky bastards) would be great!

Glasses will never be obsolete as long as hipsters still exist and use them as a fashion statement.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Yeah, the newer kindle models have dramatically improved contrast and built in lighting, but it's not like my 2 stopped working because there are swanker models now. And I have a nice m-edge case with their spotlight that works pretty well. Not as nice as built in frontlighting but it does the job and 1 aaa battery lasts a long time.

If I had the original model then maybe I'd be more tempted, the screen contrast was pretty bad and loading books was kind of a pain without internet connectivity.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

point of return posted:

Glasses will never be obsolete as long as hipsters still exist and use them as a fashion statement.

What's the current status of laser eye surgery? The way it was advertised always made it seem low-rent and "will it gently caress up your eyes in 10 years? who knows!" If it was a super safe, super easy solution to 20/20 vision for everyone, would it really need to be advertised on buses and FM radio?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ElwoodCuse posted:

What's the current status of laser eye surgery? The way it was advertised always made it seem low-rent and "will it gently caress up your eyes in 10 years? who knows!" If it was a super safe, super easy solution to 20/20 vision for everyone, would it really need to be advertised on buses and FM radio?

They aren't advertising the concept of laser eye surgery, they are advertising a specific doctor that performs the surgery so you'll pay them to perform the procedure instead of a different doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ElwoodCuse posted:

The way it was advertised always made it seem low-rent and "will it gently caress up your eyes in 10 years? who knows!" If it was a super safe, super easy solution to 20/20 vision for everyone, would it really need to be advertised on buses and FM radio?

I doubt the kind of doctor that would advertise on FM radio or a bus would give two shits about the long-term success rate once they get paid for the procedure.