Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The thing is that the first season of Dexter was actually good, it's worrying that Mr. Robot is hitting so many of the same beats because Dexter had no longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So far this show doesn't have any side characters I absolutely loving hate, unlike Dexter.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Xoidanor posted:

The thing is that the first season of Dexter was actually good, it's worrying that Mr. Robot is hitting so many of the same beats because Dexter had no longevity.
I get the impression Elliot isn't actually a psychopath like Dexter was supposed to be so if they do make him a "real boy" by the end it won't seem stupid at least.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

If he's really Tyler Durden'ing then that becomes arguable since Slater is then officially ghost dad.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Xoidanor posted:

There are a lot of things that made Dexter bad which are all things that are easily avoidable. Don't forget that even when Doakes was gone and Season 3 sucked, we still got an amazing Season 4.
That said, the only gripe I really have about the show is yet-another-Dexter parallel. In episode 3 he focuses on "bugs" which he describes at the start and then talks about through the whole episode to the point where you forget why he's even talking about them so all his metaphorical speak becomes pointless and easily disregarded. Obvious per-episode focused monologues like that are not exclusive to Dexter but boy oh boy do they get annoying really fast and they got annoying super fast in Dexter.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

If he's really Tyler Durden'ing then that becomes arguable since Slater is then officially ghost dad.

Oh, wow, wouldn't have thought of this one on my own. Has everyone around him at his security job being comically incompetent been mentioned yet?

edit: maybe Patrick Bateman will end up being his long lost brother

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

savinhill posted:

edit: maybe Patrick Bateman will end up being his long lost brother

I would laugh myself into the afterlife if this happened.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I really hope at some point he gets to put an axe through someone's skull :allears:

This show is really good, and totally insane I'm constantly impressed how they get most of the technical details correct allowing for a bit of Hollywood license. Installing that hidden super-user on the phone was pretty loving detailed for a TV show.

MY IMMERSION

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Mustache Ride posted:

MY IMMERSION

Lemme just cut this off at the pass and state that this is the same as using a 555 phone number and a 321 Fake Street to prevent real people from getting harassed because of a TV show.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Should've used an IPv6 address :coolfish:

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Should've just wrote the thing in binary That way when someone picks it up, they won't immediately know it is an IP address and will just assume some kid is pretending to write like a robot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol, they're watching Hackers.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I just realized the names of the actual episodes are .mkv etc... that has to be a troll on people pirating the show right?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Mocking Hackers and TRON :lol:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, someone actually talked to Mr. Robot other than Elliott.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Uh... what?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Pretty cool long-take there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So, uh, yeah?

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
This is bizarre

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
What in the gently caress am I watching right now

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I am now nauseous.

What the gently caress is even

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Ahaha yes!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pretty sure she used her cheating boyfriend's badge to get in.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

muscles like this? posted:

That's a definite. Showed that clearly before she accidentally woke him up. I think I liked that episode... Can't decide whether 20 minutes of withdrawal was too much or not but it wasn't a total waste

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Wouldn't they have video surveillance though in the building though?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
What a weird show.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I like it. Its weird, and I like it because of its weirdness.

I died laughing at the 404 House not Found shot. And then at the BroFish. That whole withdrawal scene was so loving weird. And hilarious.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Mustache Ride posted:

I like it. Its weird, and I like it because of its weirdness.

I died laughing at the 404 House not Found shot. And then at the BroFish. That whole withdrawal scene was so loving weird. And hilarious.

Was bro fish Keith David?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Well, someone actually talked to Mr. Robot other than Elliott.

Just in the dream.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

apatheticman posted:

What a weird show.

This show is at its best when it gets loving weird.

Basically there's a lot of conventional writing dolled up by some awesome camerawork and weirdness.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
That was OK again. I don't think I understood, in the end, what the MC meant when he was talking about daemons - normally, the analogy would correspond to unconscious cognition, but here, he almost implied that anything that happened independently of him that he did not control was a daemon (for example Angela going against AllSafe?)?

I also did not care for the extremely long withdrawal scene. This goes back to my apprehension whether the series can keep up my interest for five seasons. If they are already playing for time... well.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_(computing)

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Oh, I know what a daemon is. I'm just saying that the analogy that immediately occurs to me are unconscious cognitive processes - for example, control of breathing. That's exactly the type of thing that happens essentially in the background. But he's implying that other people are processes, not actors, in the system. Could be a reflection of his sperginess - I'm the only real human here; could be what's actually happening - after all, he's narrating this in the past tense - but I have the sensation that this was just a forced, misfired metaphor.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This episode was a complete waste of time. No cinematography in the world is going to save 40 minutes of uneventful and confusing nonsense with breadcrumbs of plot at the beginning and the end. I have no earthly clue what the rest of you in this thread found compelling about this.

Also, no Bateman. :mediocre:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The preview for next week looked like it might show Mr. Robot and Elliott in different places so it could put to rest the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

meristem posted:

Oh, I know what a daemon is. I'm just saying that the analogy that immediately occurs to me are unconscious cognitive processes - for example, control of breathing. That's exactly the type of thing that happens essentially in the background. But he's implying that other people are processes, not actors, in the system. Could be a reflection of his sperginess - I'm the only real human here; could be what's actually happening - after all, he's narrating this in the past tense - but I have the sensation that this was just a forced, misfired metaphor.

I'd agree that it was probably just forced.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The entire sequence of Elliot losing his goddamn mind was golden. There was plenty of plot stuff that moved forward, Angela took drugs and became a real human who I actually kind of like now even though she probably just hosed up everything. Trenton totally has a lesbian crush on Darlene. And now I wonder if Elliot will move Qwerty to a window when he gets back home. :3:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I thought that was a killer episode, They knocking it out of the park as far as i'm concerned. That whole sequence was brilliant. Now all the other characters got mini adventures too.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
That episode was so good. Character development on a show like this is just as important as plot development and like mentioned above, we got to see tons of them advance. I don't see how anyone could be unhappy. Maybe cut 5 minutes from the trip sequence (but I personally loved every second of it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

The preview for next week looked like it might show Mr. Robot and Elliott in different places so it could put to rest the idea that Mr. Robot isn't real.
Keep in mind, though, that even if we see Mr. Robot on his own, or even other characters responding to things that he says, it could in reality just be Elliot doing and saying those things whilst imagining that another person -- Mr. Robot -- is saying and doing them instead. That's how Fight Club did it, after all.

• Locked thread