Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

axleblaze posted:

Sonic Boom is weird because I feel it's so close to being oddly good but it just seems to fall just short. Like the show randomly has jokes that hit and episodes that are silly in the right way and I like what they've done with the characters mostly but most of the time I just end up feeling bored and overall underwhelmed. Rarely do I see a show that is that close to being good and it's even rarer where it's so hard to define what's holding it back.

This is exactly how I feel, Eggman and Knuckles usually deliver some amazing lines here and there but there are always these large chunks where nothing is going on, not even music going by a recent episode I saw where Amy is trying to beat the local fast food franchise, and it's just boring until again Knuckles or Eggman pop up to carry the show for a bit.

Also wish the episodes didn't always end with Eggman attacking with his robots and Sonic and friends beating them up, the show simply has terrible fight sequences and does an awful job at making Sonic look fast most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

The Thundercats remake from a few years was really pretty and did a lot of good little things like having Wily Kit and Kat be cute and non-annoying but the actual script was weak as hell. In a better world it could have been a great adventure show.

It had the problem of a bunch of stupid episodes at the beginning that took forever to actually pay off. The show had a strong opening but then it had a string of episodes that were just Thundercats run into someone with problem, they fix it. Then late in the series (I think it might have been the final episode) everyone they helped came to their rescue during a big battle.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

This is exactly how I feel, Eggman and Knuckles usually deliver some amazing lines here and there but there are always these large chunks where nothing is going on, not even music going by a recent episode I saw where Amy is trying to beat the local fast food franchise, and it's just boring until again Knuckles or Eggman pop up to carry the show for a bit.

Also wish the episodes didn't always end with Eggman attacking with his robots and Sonic and friends beating them up, the show simply has terrible fight sequences and does an awful job at making Sonic look fast most of the time.

Really Sega should nut up and just up and make The Eggman Show already. We're all here to see Mike Pollock chew the scenery as Eggman.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

The Thundercats remake from a few years was really pretty and did a lot of good little things like having Wily Kit and Kat be cute and non-annoying but the actual script was weak as hell. In a better world it could have been a great adventure show.

I will always appreciate the Tundercats remake for an exchange that went something like this:

*Mumm-Ra Talks poo poo about Lion-O's father*
"You don't know anything about him!"
"I know that I killed him!"

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's kind of funny that despite everything that SEGA can do to gently caress their plans up, Sonic is still some sort of constant in the universe now that always finds a way as there is JUST ENOUGH factors in place to make it work. I'd almost believe its some producers style conspiracy if it wasn't for the fact that SEGA's honestly that uncontrollably incompetent about everything.

Sockser posted:

The girl that ran social media for Sega left last month and whoever took over is amazing

Like this, if they just let more people like this allow the franchise to be fun or funny for everyone, get whoever's the big man for the Sonic Archie comics to direct Boom and occasionally just have episodes or games where its nothing but Eggman, they could print gold. But maybe it just works like it is now where there's always enough diamonds in the rough for the there to be a light at the end of the tunnel for the hedgehog. Still wouldn't hurt to see a modern take on Mean Bean Machine or something equally goofy so Mike Pollock can go mad with a script.

ZixTheYeti posted:

The 00's He-Man I think suffered mostly from the fact it was still trying to push toys on the viewer (e.g. Snake Armor He-Man) and was heavily weighed on by corporate/marketing. It did fine but when it didn't fare as well as was hoped, it got poo poo-canned.

I will second the fact Skeletor was the best part of the show. Just a little cheese but a complete ruthless rear end in a top hat. I still love his almost gleeful "Oh, and He-Man......I LIED!!" bit from their first fight.

A lot of early 2000s action shows ran themselves like it was still 1982 and toys and Hasbro style gendered marketing were king. Maybe they just didn't think including video games would matter or that it just wasn't the season for action shows anymore as they were eventually replaced by more comedy heavy shows of today, but neither Thundercats nor He-man tried to branch out into the toys of the 21st century until it was too late. Probably because the execs were too lizard brain to try. It's why even the garbage cheap mobile stuff, or more specifically Skylander, thrives right now; toys, movies and shows aren't enough on their own but they can go great when used with the new great equalizer of franchises, the video game. Some of them had their own specific faults, like Thundercats lacking general direction into what kind of show it needed to be, but they also just didn't know how to market themselves.

Oh and Skeletor was always the best part of He-man. It's why almost everyone can do his voice if only to do a nice "I WILL DESTROY YOU, HE-MANN"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

muscles like this? posted:

It had the problem of a bunch of stupid episodes at the beginning that took forever to actually pay off. The show had a strong opening but then it had a string of episodes that were just Thundercats run into someone with problem, they fix it. Then late in the series (I think it might have been the final episode) everyone they helped came to their rescue during a big battle.

There were a few clunkers ("Moby Dick Only Now The Ship Can Fly And Its A Desert So That's Totally Different And Cool Right?") but even the little stand-alone episodes were OK on their own, they just weren't as good as they should have been. The one about a race of plant people who live out an entire lifetime over the course of one day is something that could have been amazing in the right hands but as is it was just kind of cute and sad.

But on the other hand after being even remotely responsible for this...thing maybe the show deserved to die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gufXf67qBcc

Electric Phantasm posted:

I will always appreciate the Tundercats remake for an exchange that went something like this:

*Mumm-Ra Talks poo poo about Lion-O's father*
"You don't know anything about him!"
"I know that I killed him!"

The Mumm-Ra redesign was pretty bitchin', having a bunch of catpeople fighting a mummy is something that's inherently ridiculous but they did their darndest to make it work.

Really the only redesign that wasn't great was the one for Panthro because it was literally just Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop, right down to the scar over his eye.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember being blown away by the 2000 He-Man remake, mainly because I didn't know anything about He-Man and I thought it was just a bunch of crazy new things showing up on my TV all of a sudden. Then all my interest dropped off pretty quick, because although the beginning parts were pretty cool and well done, writing-wise the show was pretty bland and had nothing going for itself. I imagine that kids these days had a similar experience with the new Thundercats.

Although I gotta say, I really liked the weird idea of all the various animal men being the descendents of a crashed spaceship or something. There were some pretty neat ideas in the series that never really worked out because the writing made them so bland. I guess they just didn't have much to add after taking away most of the insanity of the original series.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Crabtree posted:

It's kind of funny that despite everything that SEGA can do to gently caress their plans up, Sonic is still some sort of constant in the universe now that always finds a way as there is JUST ENOUGH factors in place to make it work.

People always wonder how Sonic managves to survie bad game after bad game (although Colors and Generations were good and Lost World was serviceable), here's why:

That is a good design. It's a brilliant design really. He's a COOL looking character, he's fun to draw, and probably quite fun to animate. Especially when it comes to his modern design. He's a smug rear end in a top hat. Mario has survived by essentially being video game Mickey Mouse, but also because almost all Mario games are stellar and Nintendo knows what they're doing. Sonic has survived because of his design. That bleeds over into comics and fanart and tv shows. In fact unlike Mario, I imagine Sonic is just as popular because of his non-game stuff. That's what's kept him around for as long as Mario without having the stellar record Mario games have

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

It cannot be overstated how huge of a money-printing machine sonic is

The only weird thing about sonic honestly is that they keep on trying to appeal to their more venerated fans

Like soniccycle.jpg only exists because sega approaches their golden ip where they keep trying to rehabilitate sonics image before being lazy worthless fucks and half-assing it yet again

Honestly I don't know why they do this, they build what are essentially brand new engines for their games they use once or twice before redesigning everything again or switching developers for no loving reason

Honestly if I was segas CEO I would annualize the gently caress out of sonic, focus super heavily on the cartoon tie-ins and lean even more heavy on the mythos while simultaneously making it even more of a shameless DBZ ripoff

Yeah sure gently caress it add hundreds of new furry friends for sonic to interact with, just make it all one completely shameless crash grab supported by some smaller dev house turning out annual sonic games made on the cheap with the exact same mediocre engine year in and out that are all of the same lower quality, bolstered by the fact that sonics dumb fuckin face is plastered everywhere

Rerelease sonics 1-3 all the loving time so kids get essentially suckered in by exposure to both the "good" stuff (sonic 3 and knuckles was the only good one tbh) and the dumb cartoons and poo poo and because kids are morons they'll buy the games and the dolls and the comics and whatever the gently caress else sega dangles in front of their faces that has sonics face on it

It's the fact that sega makes a token effort with sonic that makes it so weird when they could and at this point probably should treat sonic like a licensed property like spongebob that only exists to make money hand over fist by essentially ripping off 8-year-olds

I'd really like to see how much money Sega makes off Sonic in animation and merchandising, compared to how much they make for just the games (cause after Lost World and Sonic Boom, I'm pretty sure the Sonic name is at an all time low).

quote:

Oh and Skeletor was always the best part of He-man. It's why almost everyone can do his voice if only to do a nice "I WILL DESTROY YOU, HE-MANN"

quote:

I will second the fact Skeletor was the best part of the show. Just a little cheese but a complete ruthless rear end in a top hat. I still love his almost gleeful "Oh, and He-Man......I LIED!!" bit from their first fight.

quote:

Skeletor was the best part of the 00s He-Man. He was just a constant dick the entire show. Also great was the flashback episode about Man At Arms brother where they had to figure out a way to say that two characters had sex.

Yes. Skeletor was the best character.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Can't be any worse than them coming from 2006 and Sonic 4.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wasn't Sonic Boom (the game) so buggy that there were comparisons to Sonic 2006?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

Wasn't Sonic Boom (the game) so buggy that there were comparisons to Sonic 2006?

While it was bad, those comparisons were pretty hyperbolic. Ignoring the bugs Boom was a dull but playable game. Ignoring the bugs 2006 is still one of the worst games ever made.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Macaluso posted:

People always wonder how Sonic managves to survie bad game after bad game (although Colors and Generations were good and Lost World was serviceable), here's why:

That is a good design. It's a brilliant design really. He's a COOL looking character, he's fun to draw, and probably quite fun to animate. Especially when it comes to his modern design. He's a smug rear end in a top hat. Mario has survived by essentially being video game Mickey Mouse, but also because almost all Mario games are stellar and Nintendo knows what they're doing. Sonic has survived because of his design. That bleeds over into comics and fanart and tv shows. In fact unlike Mario, I imagine Sonic is just as popular because of his non-game stuff. That's what's kept him around for as long as Mario without having the stellar record Mario games have

Agreed. I still think the franchise has potential for this very reason. They just need to cut out 90% of the goofiness and stupid side characters and focus on making a solid action adventure show/game. Unfortunately Sega always seems to want to double down in the opposite direction.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I always thought that Sonic would do really well if they gave it the Teen titans Go! treatment. The characters are aready so simple and stylized you could bang out a bunch of cheap Flash-animated shorts where you just completely ditch the action and saving the day and just have it be a bunch of weird character-driven comedy bits. Most of the praise the Sonic Boom cartoon gets seems to be from the character bits with Eggman and Knuckles anyways.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
See the thing is Sonic Boom can actually be funny when it tries.

Crabtree posted:

Still wouldn't hurt to see a modern take on Mean Bean Machine or something equally goofy so Mike Pollock can go mad with a script.

You do not know how much money I would pay to See Puyo Pop: Dr Eggman's Mean Bean Revenge and have Arale and Friends Snark at Eggman and his Cohorts and vice versa.

Or a version of Mean Bean Machine with the Offset rule, really.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 17, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like Sonic Boom. Gives me a nostalgic feeling for some reason.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Y-Hat posted:

Nothing can compare to the horror that is 06 when you play it. Watch the difference between pokecaptin or Slowbeef's current battle with something that is more malignant force than even just a perfect shitstorm of bad programming that will wear you down as you play it. Compared to that, Boom is a lazy, yet serviceable dumb game that them Coffee Men can easily laugh when they do the infinite Knuckles jump trick to the end. Plus it was only the Wii U game that was buggy for Boom, the 3DS game was alright and that's mostly why the new Fire and Ice game is handheld only. Boom is a rush job, but it isn't completely shameful like 06.

Macaluso posted:

Oh yeah, they struck gold with his final design back in the early 90s. It just seems like SEGA thinks they need to constantly reinvent Sonic because he isn't cool enough, even when they do something mostly right with Generations. They just can't stop reinventing the wheel because some executive is scared that it lacks some pointless new side character or new engine or gimmick that the kids these days crave. They never know when to stop and find out what works now so that they can refine that.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Ankama has partnered with Netflix for Season 3 of Wakfu for 13 episodes at 26mins each. No idea if takes place before or after their kickstarter OVA's. No release period was given just that it was coming.

E; and theatrical release of a Dofus movie is coming: https://www.facebook.com/dofus.film?fref=photo

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 20, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neo Helbeast posted:

Ankama has partnered with Netflix for Season 3 of Wakfu for 13 episodes at 26mins each. No idea if takes place before or after their kickstarter OVA's. No release period was given just that it was coming.

E; and theatrical release of a Dofus movie is coming: https://www.facebook.com/dofus.film?fref=photo

Yesss, give me more of that ridiculous French goodness

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Crabtree posted:

Nothing can compare to the horror that is 06 when you play it. Watch the difference between pokecaptin or Slowbeef's current battle with something that is more malignant force than even just a perfect shitstorm of bad programming that will wear you down as you play it. Compared to that, Boom is a lazy, yet serviceable dumb game that them Coffee Men can easily laugh when they do the infinite Knuckles jump trick to the end. Plus it was only the Wii U game that was buggy for Boom, the 3DS game was alright and that's mostly why the new Fire and Ice game is handheld only. Boom is a rush job, but it isn't completely shameful like 06.

What I really like about Sonic 06 is that it's so broken that it becomes one of those games that make for speedruns that break the game wide open.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neo Helbeast posted:

C'est trés bon

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

Can we PLEASE get a competent voice director for this one?

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Can we PLEASE get a competent voice director for this one?
You're talking about the french or english version?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Dub. How anyone thought Rual's voice was acceptable is beyond me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
apparently there's a Kickstarter to bring back SWAT KATS, kinda hope it succeeds cause we need more more Action focused cartoons right now

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

apparently there's a Kickstarter to bring back SWAT KATS, kinda hope it succeeds cause we need more more Action focused cartoons right now

I legit loved SWAT KATS, but a reboot would be a terrible idea. The show wouldn't fly in today's age. Not to mention the creators last attempt at making an original show didn't work out so well...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

drrockso20 posted:

These days it should probably be DRONE KATS.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The one-week Clarence bomb was great. Chad (Clarence's dad stand-in) owns, so does the fact that the kids went on an acid trip through severe sleep deprivation.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Y-Hat posted:

The one-week Clarence bomb was great. Chad (Clarence's dad stand-in) owns, so does the fact that the kids went on an acid trip through severe sleep deprivation.

Don't forget Clarence punching Belson out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Interweb posted:

I legit loved SWAT KATS, but a reboot would be a terrible idea. The show wouldn't fly in today's age. Not to mention the creators last attempt at making an original show didn't work out so well...

To be fair, Loonatics was most likely the fault of focus groups and WB executives pushing for a Looney Toons reboot that never ever should have been attempted than any lead artist, producer or anyone involved with SWAT KATS. It's like trying to blame Peter Hastings and whatever was left of Steven Spielberg's Animation team for Pinky, Elmyra and The Brain.

A legitimate SWAT KATS could work, but they'd probably have to walk a real fine line to not come off completely tone deaf to the current climate towards militarized cops and the like as things are very different now than they were in 1993. I'd love to see them pull it off as I think good pure action cartoons can coexist with the comedy shows of 2015.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So We Bare Bears seems pretty good.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

axleblaze posted:

Ice Bear is very powerful

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Oh was that tonight? drat, maybe I can catch it on CN's west coast feed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Oh was that tonight? drat, maybe I can catch it on CN's west coast feed.

It's gonna be on every night this week, so even if you missed these two episodes, there are plenty more to catch.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ice Bear is Dimitri Martin

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

frank.club posted:

Ice Bear is Dimitri Martin

Dimitri Martin doing his best Todd Barry imitation.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I would like to say happy 75th birthday to my pal Bugs Bunny, Grand Duke of children's cartoons.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

axleblaze posted:

Estelle (Garnet in Steven Universe) did the theme song :3:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WBB is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jsor posted:

I would like to say happy 75th birthday to my pal Bugs Bunny, Grand Duke of children's cartoons.
Are there any YouTube clips available of that scene where Bugs Bunny dresses up like a slave and begs to whichever character he's trying to psyche out by saying something to the effect of, "Sorry massa, don't whip me massa!" (Edit: Yep! And he was loving around with Yosemite Sam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8D93Awa434)

I love Bugs Bunny and Looney Tunes, but some moments on there are truly hosed up. You can't even show a lot of the old cartoons on TV anymore because tobacco and smoking are a part of so many of them.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 29, 2015