Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ApeHawk posted:

Basically, if the game was named "His Story" and it was all men characters and stuff, the game wouldn't be getting flak.

Maybe half as much considering the hatred for "walking simulators" and pure narrative games.

Stairmaster posted:

Oh did they finally stop playing bloodborne

Quite awhile ago actually. Gamegrumps, who started a less-blind playthrough around the same time is apparently still going, granted they do 10-15 minute episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

No, no one said anything. it has "Her" in the title and features a woman.

Oh okay then why didn't RE: Revelations 2, Korra, Life is Strange or Freedom Planet have the same backlash. If Dear Esther was played (where you play as a man) I'd guarantee there'd be more backlash than Her Story ever saw.

As said above, lots of people dislike like the narrative heavy "walking simulator" type game and I can understand why. I was totally ready to hate Her Story too until I saw the search mechanics/restrictions and thought they were pretty cool. I'll probably try the other stuff that was recommended to me a few pages before the KLK war thinned this thread's ranks.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 16, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Korra, Life is Strange, and Freedom Planet all both got poo poo on when they first showed up. Korra because apparently it wasn't an amazing Platinum game. Life is Strange because apparently it's tumblrbait. Freedom Planet because furries. People came around on Korra and Freedom Planet, but drat if people don't relentlessly poo poo on Life is Strange.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's only one way to test this theory, once and for all.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Ah, so this "SJW" acronym constantly being thrown around must mean "Simulation of Jogging/Walking" and that's where the hate is coming from.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

Korra, Life is Strange, and Freedom Planet all both got poo poo on when they first showed up. Korra because apparently it wasn't an amazing Platinum game. Life is Strange because apparently it's tumblrbait. Freedom Planet because furries. People came around on Korra and Freedom Planet, but drat if people don't relentlessly poo poo on Life is Strange.

But none of those things were hated on because of the female protagonists (I think), in a sense that holds to the point Beep was making. The backlash was for all the other reasons people get butthurt about things. Life is Strange is also a a walking simulator game, but again, gently caress the haters, it's kind of interesting and I'm totally enjoying watching someone else play through it.

Not denying people probably are being butthurt over Her Story being female-centric, just pointing out that it's not the only reason.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

FauxGateau posted:

Life is Strange has some pretty awful characters though, I don't think I actually care for anyone the game's focusing on. I'm interested in the overall plot and seeing just how far people can be messed around with timefuckery.
And also hearing lovely teen jargon.
EDIT: Actually, now that I think of it, the end of Episode 3 mixes things up and I do wanna see what happened. I think it's just Max I find boring. The way she talks just seriously sours things.

Also having just watched yesterday's Mystery Box, I feel compelled to share this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ok5AV7ZrM

Everyone has to experience this at least once.

HGH fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 16, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think Life is Strange should've made up their own teen slang kinda like Batman Beyond. I mean it's near Seattle so you could say that it's a sect of young pretentious people. And you collect new bits of slang in order to make people trust how hip you are. At least then I would appreciate the silliness of the situation. Also that I should've saved this idea instead of posting about it on a public forum.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
In other news we should have about 4 more episodes of Ride to Hell. I hope that means they did the DLC and I hope Matt pulled off the bug on the DLC.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

FauxGateau posted:

Life is Strange deserves the continuous dump stream

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mesothelioma posted:

Life is Strange deserves the continuous dump stream

I don't know if it deserves that much poo poo. The execution is incredibly flawed yeah. Which is a shame cause it could've been amazing with just a little bit more smoothing. I'm not gonna poo poo on something for trying to do something different and failing.

edit: for accuracy.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jul 16, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Stairmaster posted:

Oh did they finally stop playing bloodborne

The best friends equivalent of "Are they still on Namek?"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Will the Best Friends ever get off that goddamn boat

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Phantasium posted:

The only thing I don't like about seeing a game like that LP'd, is that by the time I was able to make a decision on whether or not I wanted to play it, half the mystery is gone and playing it would be easier and less interesting, but that's more on me than the LP or the game.

I'm in the same boat. For me Her Story is way more interesting to see LP'ed than to actually play myself. And I was really hype for Freedom Planet, but then after watching the videos (while I enjoyed them), I don't really feel I want to play the game myself. If I have a few extra bucks lying about I'll totally kick the devs some money, but it will probably stay uninstalled and unplayed in my Steam library for ages. :smith:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

CJacobs posted:

Will the Best Friends ever get off that goddamn boat

If they do, Kenny steals it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Radio Paranoia posted:

I'm in the same boat. For me Her Story is way more interesting to see LP'ed than to actually play myself. And I was really hype for Freedom Planet, but then after watching the videos (while I enjoyed them), I don't really feel I want to play the game myself. If I have a few extra bucks lying about I'll totally kick the devs some money, but it will probably stay uninstalled and unplayed in my Steam library for ages. :smith:

I felt this way initially but picked it up and just played as the other character and had a lot of fun!

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Remember when Matt called out OSW Review to review Samurai Cop? Well review they did.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Do not even ask posted:

Remember when Matt called out OSW Review to review Samurai Cop? Well review they did.

loving sick.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Haven't watched it yet but I mouseover'd the latest RTH video and it's credit's and this video isn't final sooooooooooooooooooo :woop:

God damnit I hope Matt was able to pull off the World's Sickest Video Game Stunt...

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So they licensed an actually pretty good song for the game and the credits are in complete silence.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
"I'm gunna shoot him real fast this time" caused me to snarf iced tea all over my monitor, cheers Matt.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!

FauxGateau posted:

I don't know if it deserves that much poo poo. The execution is incredibly flawed yeah. Which is a shame cause it could've been amazing with just a little bit more smoothing. I'm not gonna poo poo on something for trying to do something different and failing.

edit: for accuracy.

I mean is it really trying anything that different? Telltale has pretty much popularized that format.

I'm especially hard on Life Is Strange because I think every bit of praise is pretty much undeserved. I just don't get what people can enjoy from it.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Mesothelioma posted:

I'm especially hard on Life Is Strange because I think every bit of praise is pretty much undeserved. I just don't get what people can enjoy from it.

You're just totally stuck in the retrozone. Sadface.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hella.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Genetic Toaster posted:

You're just totally stuck in the retrozone. Sadface.

Preach it, sista.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mesothelioma posted:

I mean is it really trying anything that different? Telltale has pretty much popularized that format.

It's a teenage coming-of-age story with quirky characters and something resembling okay writing even if the script is garbage. The big hook of course being your main girl can rewind time so you can pull petty pranks on the other lovely teenagers in your school and rewind time and make it like nothing happened. It's a pretty fun power fantasy idea and the best part about it is it's extremely and basic and not overcomplicated horseshit it could end up being. I like it a lot more than most telltale games because those games fall so hard into similar tropes and start to blend together and become kind of... annoying? It also helps LiS' choices don't feel like they don't matter or at least have the illusion of mattering that Telltale stopped having after Walking Dead. Definitely an acquired taste, but it is most certainly trying something different.

Now with the most recent episode there's something resembling a cosmic meltdown and that's gonna be pretty fun to watch even if it is absolutely insane.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/07/17/devils-third-creator-coming-out-in-the-games-defense/

this is hilarious and sad at the same time

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

And people don't like this guy

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'll be completely honest here, and say that the animation on the drumming bit at the start looked pretty good to me. Oh boy, did everything fall apart after that, though...

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

lets hang out posted:

And people don't like this guy

He's terrible!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's good to know that according to this thread I apparently hate women because I thought Her Story was really really boring and uninteresting.

Seriously the only reason people don't like it is because the girls the main character? Talk about shoving your own head up your rear end. To me it was just dull. I've tried watching the first episode a few times and nothing gripped me about it and the commentary was just as dull. I skipped the other point and click game with the really good art because of the same reason that something failed to interest me.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's good to know that according to this thread I apparently hate women because I thought Her Story was really really boring and uninteresting.

Seriously the only reason people don't like it is because the girls the main character? Talk about shoving your own head up your rear end. To me it was just dull. I've tried watching the first episode a few times and nothing gripped me about it and the commentary was just as dull. I skipped the other point and click game with the really good art because of the same reason that something failed to interest me.

ok

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is a cool guy.

Yeah, for the most part people ITT will ignore that most of us have generally just called it dull and uninteresting, and instead start weekend web diving the Youtube comments for "comedy gold" that is actually just purestrain shitposting that can be found on every video.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In other news

Yes, that's right. My phone is at 42%.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i think i would rate astroboy below her story, tho

rth has ascended to the castlevania longplay throne, where it is being arranged to marry the chrono trigger lp for a handsome dowry of a barony outside of the cage triology

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah I... I've been avoiding Astro Boy after that awful second episode. No offence but I think this needed a nonblind player.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Well in Tormentum your character is a women so luckily your misogyny multiplier remains unbroken.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

No, if you don't like something which has a female lead it means your internalized misogyny is coming out. Such perfect works of art are exempt from any criticism, cretin.

Not defending the game or anything but tbg I didn't see anything controversial or remarkable about any of his statements here. Just a bunch of "we didn't include x because y" :confused:

I did like this part though:

quote:

Plz understand.

It's a shame this game came from the man who gave us Ninja Gaiden Black 10 years ago :negative:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

HGH posted:

Yeah I... I've been avoiding Astro Boy after that awful second episode. No offence but I think this needed a nonblind player.

They actually stopped after they did that part and found out Woolie's controller was broken, and came back to the game after being told a bunch of stuff by people online (including the invincibility frames on the dash), so the third episode is far, FAR less scrubby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yes, they were totally talking about you and other people who have legitimate criticisms and not all those lovely youtube commenters bitching about some combination of SJWs/tumblr/feminism.