Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jose Oquendo posted:

so which ethnicities AREN'T cheap?

All of them except mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Fezz posted:

Side Order of Sleaze for School Spirit. Itself a sexist piece of garbage.

Everytime I listen to the School Spirit episode, I'm reminded of something I keep forgetting to write the show about : ANOTHER (potential) Shazam/Capt. Marvel/Billy Batson connection.

Long story short, there is another DC character called Kid Eternity. He's a kid who died before his time, so the afterlife lets him live again with the bonus of having essentially School Spirit-grade 'ghost powers' and an old mentor figure to help him out.

How does this tie into Capt. Marvel? From Wiki...

Wikipedia posted:

In the early 1970s, DC decided to revive Kid Eternity. Unlike most of the Quality stable, who were depicted as living on the parallel world Earth-X, Kid Eternity was retconned into the Marvel Family of Earth-S, which DC had acquired from another former competitor, Fawcett Comics. This change was made because the Kid's power bore such a similarity to the Marvels—after a magic word was spoken, and a character who had not been present arrived in a bolt of lightning (although unlike the Marvels, the Kid himself did not disappear). In this revival, the Kid was given a new name—Christopher "Kit" Freeman, and became the brother of Captain Marvel, Jr. (Freddy Freeman). He is shown to live in the same neighbourhood as Shazam and the Elders, Eternity.

I'm sort of surprised that with the success of Bill and Ted's about 5 years after School Spirit came out that they didn't churn out a sequel called "School Spirits" and just used the other powerset of Kid Eternity (to call forth historical figures from the afterlife) to make a Bill and Ted's college boob comedy.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jul 14, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh man Matrix Revolutions is one of the best episodes in a while. The whole "Agent Smiths on Neo's Voicemail/FaceBook" thing is hilarious.

And in case you're wondering, yes Kid was from the AniMatrix, and yes Neo did fight a giant Agent Smith in one of the video games.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man Matrix Revolutions is one of the best episodes in a while.

Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer were great movies though :colbert:

Also this happens in a Matrix videogame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TLJb9NZN0I

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Speed Racer is unironically one of my favorite movies but I'd love for them to do an episode about it. Kinda mad I already called in my Listener Request thing already, I should've suggested Speed Racer...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are they taking calls for listener requests now? I have a musical or two I want throw out there...

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

GrandpaPants posted:

Cloud Atlas and Speed Racer were great movies though :colbert:

Also this happens in a Matrix videogame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TLJb9NZN0I

That video game, The Matrix: Path of Neo, is the one that came out years after the trilogy ended and let you actually play as Neo, it was mostly just kind of mediocre. The one that came out at the same time Reloaded was Enter The Matrix, which was an amazing shitshow in that huge amounts of the plot of the sequels tied into the game but the game was obviously unfinished and rushed to market. So you get a hilarously awful disparity of quality where there's tons of celebrity voice acting and motion-captured kung fu but the basic run animation is janky as gently caress and the agents just kind of dance when you shoot them because they didn't add a motion blur.

There was also the MMO that was supposed to be a sequel to the movies, where Morpheus dies in the stupidest way possible and Neo is reincarnated as a woman because Lana Wachowsky can't stop inserting herself in every other thing she makes.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

That video game, The Matrix: Path of Neo, is the one that came out years after the trilogy ended and let you actually play as Neo, it was mostly just kind of mediocre. The one that came out at the same time Reloaded was Enter The Matrix, which was an amazing shitshow in that huge amounts of the plot of the sequels tied into the game but the game was obviously unfinished and rushed to market. So you get a hilarously awful disparity of quality where there's tons of celebrity voice acting and motion-captured kung fu but the basic run animation is janky as gently caress and the agents just kind of dance when you shoot them because they didn't add a motion blur.

There was also the MMO that was supposed to be a sequel to the movies, where Morpheus dies in the stupidest way possible and Neo is reincarnated as a woman because Lana Wachowsky can't stop inserting herself in every other thing she makes.

I played two of those three. I played Enter the Matrix when it came out, and remember liking some of the combat but holy gently caress that running animation. :stare: Also that loving airport terminal level can eat a dick when you're supposed to fight off the helicopter. I never finished the game. Path of Neo was somehow EVEN WORSE, I don't think I even bothered to play past the second level especially after seeing that stupid as gently caress final boss on youtube. I did find the storyline of the MMO to be hilarious though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoZZcZgoBp8

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Now that I'm no longer on my phone, here's the dramatic final moments of Morpheus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWPey1fU9Ok

And this is how the entire Matrix saga ends, the culmination of ten years and hundreds of millions of dollars:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmKIU_6J0HY

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

BlameSpacePod posted:

You're right. Sorry for posting guys! The best trick the devil ever pulled was posting on SA and then, poof: Slenderman.

I'm out! Thank you!

I just wanna say please don't stop posting just because some people are dicks! I totally get where you're coming from about it being ok to like a movie. As I've gotten older I've realized there's really no line between liking something, and ironically "liking" it to make fun of it. It's all just fun; I'll riff on and make fun of bits in my favorite movies when I rewatch them. Your knowledge and more importantly your enthusiasm for film really comes throw and elevates WHM to a truly great podcast, it's very clear that all you guys genuinely love film and know what the hell you're talking about. Keep it up!

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 15, 2015

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo those Huey, Dewey, and Louie impressions almost killed me yesterday

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

People (not here) sure are getting cranky over WHM's recent movie choices. It must be a nostalgia thing, since I could barely make it through the RIFFTRAX versions of the Matrix sequels.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
How can you get cranky over Matrix Revolutions? Its not a good movie by pretty much any metric.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Gyges posted:

How can you get cranky over Matrix Revolutions? Its not a good movie by pretty much any metric.

I've seen people on this very sub forum defend far worse movies. I honestly assumed people around here were going to trip over each other defending Revolutions and how it's so deep and meaningful and the crew just don't understand.

Squallege posted:

Holy poo poo those Huey, Dewey, and Louie impressions almost killed me yesterday

I re-listened to that in the car the other day so my gf could hear and nearly crashed because I was laughing so hard at that part.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

bobservo posted:

People (not here) sure are getting cranky over WHM's recent movie choices. It must be a nostalgia thing, since I could barely make it through the RIFFTRAX versions of the Matrix sequels.

People love the Matrix movies. Why? :shrug:

Social Networking Agent Smith was one of the funniest gags in a while though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Did they just get a lot of new fans who don't "get" Summer Blockbuster Month?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

bobservo posted:

I've never understood this attitude. A WHM episode about a movie I like would be hilarious. I guess I don't get all defensive when a movie I like is criticized because I'm not a literal baby.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The only thing the WHM didn't 'get' about the third Matrix movie was about the whole "Why do they need to reset it?" stuff. Take away all the hoo-hah philosophical stuff and its "We need to flush out the malcontents every once in a while before they gently caress up poo poo for everyone else".

Otherwise their discussion was completely on-point and I loved it, especially the "The Wachowskis forgot the first movie was an action/punchy movie at heart" bit. Classic episode.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 15, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I've never understood this attitude. A WHM episode about a movie I like would be hilarious. I guess I don't get all defensive when a movie I like is criticized because I'm not a literal baby.

Seriously! Some of my favorite episodes have been about movies I like (Hard Target, Ghostbusters 2, Jingle All The Way). And I called in one of my favorite childhood movies for listener request month.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

weekly font posted:

Social Networking Agent Smith was one of the funniest gags in a while though.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh man Matrix Revolutions is one of the best episodes in a while. The whole "Agent Smiths on Neo's Voicemail/FaceBook" thing is hilarious.

Someone posted this in the RGD thread, and it needs to be shared here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvXBmuVziDE

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love that you can just hear the others laughing in the background of most of them; it makes it sound like a bunch of Agent Smiths are just getting together and drunkenly prank-calling him.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
gently caress anyone (not here obvs) who's been complaining about movie choices because I seriously can't remember the last time an episode has just been meh.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I actually saw a fanedit of the last two Matrix films that was pretty good, The Matrix Dezionized. Cut the last two into one movie and got rid of basically (I don't remember, maybe all) of the Zion nonsense.

Dr Monkeysee posted:

Like I said before, I loving loved Blind Fury, and that episode was good as hell because that movie is kind of crazy.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I still can't believe people were upset about them doing a commentary track on Sucker punch of all movies.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JT Smiley posted:

I still can't believe people were upset about them doing a commentary track on Sucker punch of all movies.

I haven't listened to it personally so I'm sure its hilarious, but it is kind of silly in that it's one of those movies that every comedy movie podcast on the earth jumped on for being a movie that promises over-the-top nerd wish fulfillment and winds up being a depressing movie where bad things happen to women when that was the entire point of the movie and it was completely intentional. So much of the hate lobbied at Sucker Punch boils down to "Zac Snyder is a dumb fratboy who hates women so this obviously can't have any deeper meaning to it" that if you're not part of that camp it's just kind of aggravating.

Then again I listen to The Canon and more often than not that show boils down to rolling your eyes at how two "professional" film critics can have such strong opinions on movies they completely failed to understand so I'm obviously not too picky.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am almost surprised at how much I hated The Canon.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am almost surprised at how much I hated The Canon.

After finishing up the entire We Hate Movies backlog I am so hungry for movie podcasts to listen to at work that I listened to the entirety of The Flophouse (it becomes way more tolerable if you just hit the "next episode" button about halfway through each episode when the one with the annoying voice starts singing a bad made-up song ~ironically~, signalling that they're done talking about movies and the rest of the episode is going to be terrible in-jokes circlejerking via their email inbox) and I'm even hate-listening to The Canon.

Somebody please recommend me another movie podcast that isn't terrible garbage. :sigh:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sleeveless posted:

After finishing up the entire We Hate Movies backlog I am so hungry for movie podcasts to listen to at work that I listened to the entirety of The Flophouse (it becomes way more tolerable if you just hit the "next episode" button about halfway through each episode when the one with the annoying voice starts singing a bad made-up song ~ironically~, signalling that they're done talking about movies and the rest of the episode is going to be terrible in-jokes circlejerking via their email inbox) and I'm even hate-listening to The Canon.

Somebody please recommend me another movie podcast that isn't terrible garbage. :sigh:

Get the gently caress out of here if you don't like Elliot's letter songs.

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat
I was surprised they didn't realize the Oracle was re-cast because the original died during filming.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Vosgian Beast posted:

A nerd with an annoying voice singing a made-up song badly wasn't funny the first time and it failed to get any funnier the next ~150 times he's done it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sleeveless posted:

A nerd with an annoying voice singing a made-up song badly wasn't funny the first time and it failed to get any funnier the next ~150 times he's done it.

Looks like someone doesn't appreciate comedy.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Sleeveless posted:

I guess it would be Yeah, It's That Bad? Which is over, but there are archives available. I've only listened to a handful of episodes, but it's in the same podcast wheelhouse and I found it a little easier to jump into than The Flophouse. They're both a bit inside jokey though. I've never quite found another podcast that matches the same conversation dynamic WHM has.

Also, Sucker Punch commentary is fun. None of them want to be watching the movie because it's a boring slog. It's kind of nice because they don't spend the whole time making easy jokes about Zach Snyder and how ~awful~ the movie is, I'm pretty sure they all get the general point, it's more of a straightforward WHM "what the gently caress is going on and who is this movie for?" and after an hour or so they're asking each other if it's OK to start fast forwarding. Although I guess I only recommend it if you've never seen Sucker Punch, that was a 'still haven't, still happy' for me but it's a lot more watchable with the gang in the background.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Looks like someone doesn't appreciate comedy.
It's the rule of threes, not the rule of 300s. Kalan would be way more tolerable if he didn't have some pathological need to run every single joke as far into the ground as possible.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Philistines all of you

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Kneecaps posted:

I was surprised they didn't realize the Oracle was re-cast because the original died during filming.

They mention that was why, they just later start riffing about how it's funny in the movie logic that she recast herself as another old black lady.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

After about ten episodes you start to think Al-Qaeda had a point.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sleeveless posted:

F This Movie is a pretty good podcast if you can get past the fact that it's a freelance film critic from suburban Chicagoland talking about movies he likes with his long-time buddies, all of whom are strictly casual movie fans. The host is a likable guy with a dorky sense of humor and a surprisingly deep knowledge of film. It's nowhere near as good or funny as WHM but it scratches that movie podcast itch.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."
I love the Flophouse - Elliott is amazing. He rejoices in running a joke so far into the ground that it becomes incredibly funny (see: Letters song), or picking up on tiny language things and blowing them out to full on characters ("that sticks in the old craw""Old Craw ehhhh?!" or the whole "Cat on a hot Tintin roof") and I've done more proper uncontrollable laughing at the flophouse than I have at WHM.

With WHM i find their movie analysis fun and it gives me an idea of what the movie is actually like, with some great riffs. The Flophouse gives me very little idea what the movie is like and their analysis is completely incidental, but has loads of awesome riffs. Still like both though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I was expecting them to hit on exactly why Tank or Dozer (can't remember which) wasn't in the Matrix sequels. the actor went all weird stalker and acting up at promotional appearances and stuff, and started harassing the Wachowskis about poo poo. They had to fire him.

I'm phone posting at work or I'd find a link. It wasn't anything too crazy, but I remember it being a pretty interesting career self-sabotage.