Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Battery Joe posted:

Anyone seen Speedy Ortiz live? I kinda dig there guitar work and they seem to pop over to my city every couple of months.

My friend ditched me for the show I was going to go see them at. Was only 15$ per ticket but I was still pretty annoyed. Some people never grow up. Really wanted to see them so if you go let me know. I'd expect it to be a really good show to drink at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Good and cool new music this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3LtbVbkGG0

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Love me some cayucas. Their Bigfoot is some great west coast beach boys throwbacks.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incoherent posted:

Love me some cayucas. Their Bigfoot is some great west coast beach boys throwbacks.

Agreed, it's the most west coast indie tunes ever, this one is a great summer/beach/road trip song

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I don't know if this is a great example other than similar vocals, but this sort of reminds me of Waxahatchee: http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2015/06/29/417717735/upbeat-vocals-with-teeth-bad-bad-hats-premiere-fight-song

They actually have an EP up for free download on their band camp. It's pretty catchy indie pop https://badbadhats.bandcamp.com/

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Im not sure what thread this belongs in, but its a great new track by Gallant, https://soundcloud.com/gallant/weight-in-gold

dude is going to be huge

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The new Everything Everything album is really good.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Dugong posted:

They all are. They're quickly becoming one of my favourite bands.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Since I'm sure people would appreciate links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDSEtWt9u-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOUuWZ8-hBg

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

A little bit too artsy for me but I like what they're going for. Reminds me a little bit of OK Go who I think similarly of.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Dugong posted:

I saw them live a few weeks ago. They were fantastic. Great atmosphere.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Digging these guys a lot! They remind me of a more finessed Foals.

I love Foals, but sometimes I feel like the miss the mark on the melodies (subjective opinion, I know).

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

101 posted:

I saw them live a few weeks ago. They were fantastic. Great atmosphere.

Yeah I saw them at a festival in 2011. They were good but I didn't really know them very well and I'd love to hear their newer stuff live.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Not sure this was ever in doubt, but new Tame Impala is exquisite. The singles are great, plus The Moment and Reality in Motion might even be better than at least some of those singles.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Not sure this was ever in doubt, but new Tame Impala is exquisite. The singles are great, plus The Moment and Reality in Motion might even be better than at least some of those singles.

This is absolutely true. Reality in Motion is even better than Cause I'm A Man and didn't think there'd be a single track better than that on the complete album.

Also I don't know what the consensus is gonna be when the album releases, but I'm oddly into Past Life, it's so weird but good.

RedneckwithGuns fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jul 9, 2015

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
The whole album is great, the only problem is there weren't enough psych rock bands anymore as the trend has moved towards synths and now Tame Impala are following that as well.

Still great, but the style is super trendy right now and it's starting to get boring.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

T Bowl posted:

The whole album is great, the only problem is there weren't enough psych rock bands anymore as the trend has moved towards synths and now Tame Impala are following that as well.

Still great, but the style is super trendy right now and it's starting to get boring.

I can definitely understand the lament here because I feel like Purity Ring moved a bit too far close to the center on their second album. Maybe it's a product of being later to the game with this band, because I jumped in at Lonerism and only barely worked backward, so this doesn't feel like it's straying too far from what I latched onto in the first place.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I'm a huge synth guy, and yeah, it's one of the more pervasive trends in music today, but if you're going to use Currents as your argument against it, that's a huge oversight. The thing is massive. Beautiful.

It's a shame the new Ratatat is going to get overshadowed by it due to the same release date. That thing's a lot of fun, too. Not a giant success, but it's definitely another Ratatat album, and that's not a bad thing.

I'll also stump for the new Metric singles while I'm here. Same focus on synth, also fairly successful. The Shade is great, Cascades is more of a grower but still very good.

The new Beach House is a tad disappointing. Doesn't really go anywhere. They're kinda falling into the samey shoegaze pit Silversun Pickups fell into, though I eventually came around to Neck of the Woods, so hopefully the same will happen for Depression Cherry.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
I finally got around to listening to the chant album that J Mascis put out for Mata Amritanandamayi (Amma) a decade ago. Now, strangeness of circumstances aside, it was a very good album and it made me wonder if there're other albums like this because I find the music oddly compelling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDA9Ew-beqQ

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.
I was so excited for the new Tame impala, but its hard to not just find it a huge disappointment. The jump from Innerspeaker to Lonerism felt perfect, but still kept things interesting.

It's not like Currents is a bad album or anything, just such a large departure that it feels like less of an evolution and more like Kevin Parker just going "Wheee! We've made it and I can do all the experimenting I want now!"

I have fond memories of cruising around in the mountains with friends listening to the first couple albums. It felt like the perfect soundtrack for sort of letting go of poo poo and experiencing things. I guess I was looking forward to more of that.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Hope I'm not too shamelessly self promoting, but people seemed to like the last track of my band's music that I posted.
It's actually a remix that my friend's glitch-pop group made of a song from our previous album. We're Rice Cultivation Society, they're This drat Universe, the song is "King Midas." I think they did an awesome job with it.
https://soundcloud.com/ricecultivationsociety/king-midas-remix-by-this-drat-universe

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Hmm, I didn't know we were allowed to mention our own music here. I feel a little bashful, but here goes... I wrote and recorded an album of 10 songs that you can check out here:

https://commonminer.bandcamp.com

I could very self-flatteringly compare my stuff to Elliott Smith, Sun Kil Moon, Ben Folds, David Bazan, etc.-- the songs are generally melodic singer-songwriter acoustic but there are touches of louder, more anthemic rock, and some mathy time signatures and polyrhythms in a few places. Please take a listen and I hope you find it to your liking.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

boji posted:

I was so excited for the new Tame impala, but its hard to not just find it a huge disappointment. The jump from Innerspeaker to Lonerism felt perfect, but still kept things interesting.

It's not like Currents is a bad album or anything, just such a large departure that it feels like less of an evolution and more like Kevin Parker just going "Wheee! We've made it and I can do all the experimenting I want now!"

I have fond memories of cruising around in the mountains with friends listening to the first couple albums. It felt like the perfect soundtrack for sort of letting go of poo poo and experiencing things. I guess I was looking forward to more of that.

I think one of the reviews I've seen in the last few few days of Currents put it best: Parker had to decide whether to keep playing the same music album after album and continue in the vein of something like My Morning Jacket where you have a small but rabid fan-base that eats it up, or to be adventurous and see what you can do, and he decided to be adventurous. I love the new album and whenever I feel like I want something closer to his older stuff, I just listen to Lonerism or Innerspeaker.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
New shoe gaze-y Beach House single is brilliant. Love it.

boji
Sep 6, 2003
Monkey hate clean.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I think one of the reviews I've seen in the last few few days of Currents put it best: Parker had to decide whether to keep playing the same music album after album and continue in the vein of something like My Morning Jacket where you have a small but rabid fan-base that eats it up, or to be adventurous and see what you can do, and he decided to be adventurous. I love the new album and whenever I feel like I want something closer to his older stuff, I just listen to Lonerism or Innerspeaker.

Yeah I appreciate what he was trying to do. I'm hoping it will grow on me with more listens. There's definitely moments in it I love, but there's also a few places where it annoys me. The one that comes to mind is the skipping-cd sounding transition in the first track, it just feels kinda artificial and forced. I know he's employed repetition in the past, like looping drum tracks through the entire song, but for some reason I found it much less harsh.

I'm also looking for those magical moments, like halfway through Apocalypse dreams where everything keeps building, freezes, and then explodes. Or the outros for Lucidity or Endors Toi. Maybe they are in the new one too, and I just need to keep listening. :)

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

RedneckwithGuns posted:

My Morning Jacket play the same music album to album? Yeah, Jim James wasn't at all adventurous with his music...

(you picked a terrible example to reference a band not experimenting and there are literally hundreds of others, all I am saying.)

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I find it odd that people are calling Currents forward progression, when to me it felt like Kevin stepped backwards and regressed his sound. What I loved about Lonerism was how Kevin took that classic psych rock sound from the first album and got more experimental and ambitious with the production and songwriting. With the exception of the first track and a couple others, Currents just sounds like a pretty generic synthpop album to me.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Chvrches announced the title of their new album Every Open Eye and it'll be out September 25th. They released their first single Leave a Trace. Sounds pretty good.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Clevermuldoon posted:

Chvrches announced the title of their new album Every Open Eye and it'll be out September 25th. They released their first single Leave a Trace. Sounds pretty good.

Their debut album was amazing, and this new single plus Get Away are giving me high hopes they'll continue to be a great band. Sounds like Lauren heard the criticism of having too low of voice, she's really booming on Leave a Trace. :drat:

Slandible fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 16, 2015

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Clevermuldoon posted:

Officially hyped. I pre-ordered the white LP from their UK store because I was too impatient to find out if they'd release it in the US. Tomorrow, I'm going to try for tickets to next week's show in Brooklyn that they announced a few hours ago. Hopefully they'll preview a lot of new material there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vancouver's Fake Shark - Real Zombie! has renamed to just Fake Shark and put out this funky new song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWn5tQFyjDc

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Welp. Wilco just dropped a free 11-song album on their website out of the blue.

It's called "Star Wars".

It has a cat on the cover.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
That Chvrches album art is very New Orderish.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I'm at work so is the Wilco a real album? Like I know it exists, but is it legitimate or a glorified B-Sides collection. Anyone given it a listen yet? Want to know how excited I should be.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

This new Bad Bad Hats album is really great. Fight Song, the title track, and the first track are all extremely solid. The album is up for free download from their label page too http://afternoonrecords.com/bad-bad-hats

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Viginti posted:

I'm at work so is the Wilco a real album? Like I know it exists, but is it legitimate or a glorified B-Sides collection. Anyone given it a listen yet? Want to know how excited I should be.

I'm three tracks in and it sounds a lot more loose and less produced than most of Wilco's later catalogue - mostly just fuzzed out guitar, bass, and drums doing straight-ahead songs. Still pretty good though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

New City and Colour album is coming out I think next week, first track is out, it's long but awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or45vdE7cT8

(City and Colour is the solo project of Dallas Green from Alexisonfire if you're unaware of this fantastic Canadian indie music)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

boji posted:

Yeah I appreciate what he was trying to do. I'm hoping it will grow on me with more listens. There's definitely moments in it I love, but there's also a few places where it annoys me. The one that comes to mind is the skipping-cd sounding transition in the first track, it just feels kinda artificial and forced. I know he's employed repetition in the past, like looping drum tracks through the entire song, but for some reason I found it much less harsh.

I'm also looking for those magical moments, like halfway through Apocalypse dreams where everything keeps building, freezes, and then explodes. Or the outros for Lucidity or Endors Toi. Maybe they are in the new one too, and I just need to keep listening. :)

This is what I found about Lonerism and Innerspeaker. They took me many months of listening to on and off to finally click with. Not many artists get that sort of attention from me but my roommate insisted I give it a fair shot and I really grew to love it. My first listen to Currents is kinda underwhelming, there's some strong tracks here but there's a few that sound pretty drat similar to me.

Also, as if Ian Cohen wasn't a laughingstock already:

quote:

Parker is good at writing catchy, simple guitar riffs. But he’s also somehow the best and most underrated rock bassist of the 21st century, and it’s not even close on either front. The near total absence of guitars means there is nothing remotely like "Elephant" here.

...the album reimagines and expands Tame Impala's relationship to album rock—like Loveless or Kid A or Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, it's the result of a supernaturally talented obsessive trying to perfect music while redefining their relationship to album-oriented rock. There's more care and nuance put into the drum filtering on "Let It Happen" than most bands manage in an entire career of recording.

loving :laffo:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

(City and Colour is the solo project of Dallas Green from Alexisonfire if you're unaware of this fantastic Canadian indie music)

I do not know of this obscure artist or the even more obscure band he is from, but I do know of city and colour. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Just discovered Beverly and really digging their stuff. I'm getting a Dum Dum Girls/Smashing Pumpkins vibe from them. They come here next week and thinking about checking it out.

Honey Do
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAG0EhVPUR0