Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GulagDolls posted:

some ppl actually have anti-mosquitobite itch genes.

Bites don't itch me until I notice them and/or scratch absentmindedly. And even then I can ignore it pretty easily. I also don't get huge welts or anything. Which is nice because apparently as O type my blood is more attractive to mosquitos? I feel I read that somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

When does a mosquito bite get itchy? I just watched one hover around my arm, land, wander around for a few seconds before I guess biting me? I don't know if it did, I killed it as soon as it stopped moving. But anyway does it itch because of the fact that it sticks its mouth in you or is it only after it's sucked blood, or even later once it removes it's mouth?

When a mosquito "bites", it injects its saliva into you and the itch is an allergic reaction to the saliva. That's because the saliva contains anticoagulants to prevent them from getting stuck. If you let them finish feeding they will actually suck some of the saliva back and you might have less of a reaction.

Also, if you want to be gross you can pinch the area around the bite while they are feeding and trap them. Then they will have no choice but to keep feeding until they literally burst. However that usually leaves a bite that itches like crazy.

I also know how to find mosquito eggs, larva and pupae.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Do tell: that little factoid is amazing though I would never ever try that.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

When a mosquito "bites", it injects its saliva into you and the itch is an allergic reaction to the saliva. That's because the saliva contains anticoagulants to prevent them from getting stuck. If you let them finish feeding they will actually suck some of the saliva back and you might have less of a reaction.

Also, if you want to be gross you can pinch the area around the bite while they are feeding and trap them. Then they will have no choice but to keep feeding until they literally burst. However that usually leaves a bite that itches like crazy.

Can we add this to the OP

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Tremendous Taste posted:

conversely, the south will rise again

Quote this post and I'll tell you which hockey player you are

Orr

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Mosquitoes breed and lay eggs around stagnant water that is preferably somewhat dirty. But more organic type stuff like dead logs and leaves. You can find the egg rafts at the edges of the water (or sometimes around logs and stuff) as small black things.

The larva live in that water and eat the food it provides. If you take a small white cup and scoop up water you can usually see the larva if they are present. They look like little gray tubes swimming around. Then they turn into pupae which look like little black commas. They don't actually eat but they do have to breathe, so most of the time they are at the surface of the water unless disturbed. The larva also need to breathe, so they will also swim towards the surface.

Mosquito Abatement involves checking lots of water sources for larva and pupae and then using poison food or a light oil like substance to kill them depending on which stage is more prevalent. Fogging an area is actually a pretty useless tactic because the mosquitoes actually have to touch the fog, but the fog dissipates fairly quickly.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

JakeP posted:

Can we add this to the OP

also this http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Giant_Fish

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman posted:

also this http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Giant_Fish

to make it easier for asiina

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

EccoRaven posted:

To the players of Lady Clarent's Calamity: thanks for 50 great games.
Hey you're welcome. You modded my first game as well so there's that too.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

I like Pepsi better. But diet dr. pepper and RC cola are the best.
Jesus. May as well drink cat piss.
Never tried RC.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

Jesus. May as well drink cat piss.
Never tried RC.

lol

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TMMadman posted:

Mosquitoes breed and lay eggs around stagnant water that is preferably somewhat dirty. But more organic type stuff like dead logs and leaves. You can find the egg rafts at the edges of the water (or sometimes around logs and stuff) as small black things.

The larva live in that water and eat the food it provides. If you take a small white cup and scoop up water you can usually see the larva if they are present. They look like little gray tubes swimming around. Then they turn into pupae which look like little black commas. They don't actually eat but they do have to breathe, so most of the time they are at the surface of the water unless disturbed. The larva also need to breathe, so they will also swim towards the surface.

Mosquito Abatement involves checking lots of water sources for larva and pupae and then using poison food or a light oil like substance to kill them depending on which stage is more prevalent. Fogging an area is actually a pretty useless tactic because the mosquitoes actually have to touch the fog, but the fog dissipates fairly quickly.

What's the timeline from egg to adult and generally how long would they live? And why do you know this? Also I'm sure that there are many species but probably just a few that bug us. Are they the same throughout the world? LAST (sorry) where could I live to avoid them? Apparently Ireland, outside of Dublin, hasn't got any mosquitos native or not. I'd like to hope an isolated place like Iceland is the same, yet I know you get mosquitos in the northern taiga of Canada so clearly cold isn't enough of a deterrent.

It's not even mosquito bites that bother me, it's the buzz that incessant buzz as they fly around my ears drives me MAD. It's the worst thing.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

How do you know so much about Mosquitos?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Magnus Gallant posted:

How do you know so much about Mosquitos?

He is a mosquito, Magnus.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Eat the mosquito eggs, smash mouf

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

QuoProQuid posted:

He is a mosquito, Magnus.

That's what I'm thinking.

Either he's a mosquito or he's working with the Mosquitos.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

What do you think the 5 best movies are of your lifetime, mafia thread?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
star wars episode 1
Jack and Jill
Paul Blart 2
The Pewdiepie video where he gets excited and yells a lot
The English Patient

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Tremendous Taste posted:

What do you think the 5 best movies are of your lifetime, mafia thread?

Paul Blart: Mall Cop
Jack and Jill
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
Underground Comedy Movie

e: WOW gently caress U JAKE

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
lol did you just happen to think of jack and jill

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

12 Angry Men, Duck Soup, Rango, maybe Scott Pilgrim ( it's been a long time idk if it still holds up for me now)

I can't think of a fifth right now

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh wait like released during my lifetime? I thought you just meant seen during my lifetime.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
man i can't even begin. i could definitely pick my five favorite movies of my life time but how could i possibly pick the best?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

JakeP posted:

lol did you just happen to think of jack and jill

yes and paul blart though i went with the original

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Somberbrero posted:

man i can't even begin. i could definitely pick my five favorite movies of my life time but how could i possibly pick the best?

I think he was asking for favourites

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
this is a good movie you should watch it

it has a racist guy who yells for like 3 minutes

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

The best movie of my lifetime was The Sneeze.

It's all been downhill since then.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

HiipFire posted:

this is a good movie you should watch it

it has a racist guy who yells for like 3 minutes

It is actually a good movie though and you should watch it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think he was asking for favourites

ugh um

redbelt
Reservoir Dogs
rushmore
pan's labyrinth
fargo

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
amy schumer's 12 angry men parody is very important television.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Somberbrero posted:

amy schumer's 12 angry men parody is very important television.

was it actually good?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

not favorite, best

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tremendous Taste posted:

not favorite, best

Are any of us truly qualified to speak for our generations as a whole?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I'm not asking you to

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
As for a real answer I dunno about "best" but my 5 favorites are probably

Fight Club
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
The King's Speech
Cannibal! The Musical
Dogma

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tremendous Taste posted:

I'm not asking you to

Oh ok, so you are asking for favorites then. Got it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
In terms of BEST it's probably

Shawshank Redemption
Tree of Life
Cloud Atlas
and 2 other artsy movies i can't think of

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

CapitalistPig posted:

Oh ok, so you are asking for favorites then. Got it.

no, because quality and appreciation/affection are not the same thing

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Tremendous Taste posted:

no, because quality and appreciation/affection are not the same thing

Everyone's interpretation of quality differs so for you to be able to say the BEST 5 movies of your lifetime implies you speak on behalf of your own generations tastes and views on quality which will differ greatly from person to person.

Your question is flawed taste FLAWED I SAY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

HiipFire posted:

was it actually good?

it was really really good.