Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sckye
Apr 6, 2012

Toplowtech posted:

Yes there is a "foldable frame" but once i built a cart with that foldable frame i have no idea on how to fold it. Do i need to add a saddle or controls to have access to that option?

Make sure you're using the folding wire basket (instead of a, say, cargo space), then press "g" while standing on top of it and select "Fold".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Toplowtech posted:

Yes there is a "foldable frame" but once i built a cart with that foldable frame i have no idea on how to fold it. Do i need to add a saddle or controls to have access to that option?

You might need to install vehicle controls, and you definitely need the rest of the parts to also be foldable. (Folding wire basket, casters, etc. No 1000-volume cargo carts for you, sadly.)

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013
Be careful about downloading experimentals past 3419 and saving your game in them, seems like something broke with the saves and now my character and world from previous versions can't be loaded/started with a new character. Worlds generated in the latest one (3425 last I checked) seem playable. They say they're working on a fix so hopefully saves aren't broken.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah but if you want a specific rare bionic or one of the rarer mutagen recipe books you could end up raiding dozens of labs before you get what you want. Better to have insurance against carelessness. I also tend to run melee characters since ranged weapons are such a pain in the rear end to set up and require a pretty demanding stat spread for ideal results, and the ability to just run up to an SMG turret and whack it over the head without taking any damage is nice.

I tried this out and I think you've converted me. I still prefer light survivor gear for ransacking cities, but going with heavy or winter makes my labs twice as fast due to no longer giving a gently caress.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Do people roll with the default amount of points, normally? I can't even fathom how one could reach 20 points of strength and get some of the other stuff I might want.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I always run heavy gear now, 20 odd encumbrance isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme. It barely affects your melee capabilities at all, and ranged weapons seem useless beyond 10 or so tiles no matter what, so the only things you'd ever need use them for (things like military turrets) you can't anyway! Just lob EMP grenades at those instead.

Plus heavy gear makes you more than bullet proof. You can wade through acid with zero fucks, and shockers barely tickle you (although they'll still stun).

Mystery Machine posted:

Do people roll with the default amount of points, normally? I can't even fathom how one could reach 20 points of strength and get some of the other stuff I might want.
By taking a lab/really bad day start and 12 points of negative traits it's probably doable. Can't say I've ever taken strength to 20 personally though.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

tooterfish posted:

I always run heavy gear now, 20 odd encumbrance isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme. It barely affects your melee capabilities at all, and ranged weapons seem useless beyond 10 or so tiles no matter what, so the only things you'd ever need use them for (things like military turrets) you can't anyway! Just lob EMP grenades at those instead.

You can make use of long range rifles if you're patient. Attach your lowest dispersion scope and mods, go to a safe range (and stay at a safe range if we're talking tank drone), and manually aim each shot until steadiness is full. With around marksman 3 and rifle 3 I can pop turrets from 40 away with ten 30-06 rounds and killed a tank drone from 50 away with 25 rounds from a Barrett sniper rifle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp if you're tired and sleep near fungaloids laying down spore beds, you might wake up to your car completely entombed in the stuff. Trying to drive out just ripped my car apart.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mystery Machine posted:

I started writing this post the other day about how to game the poo poo out character creation but I don't remember if I finished it or not.

Anyways, here's the secret to ~ULTIMATE POWER~ assuming you can survive a Really Bad Day start.

Take the Really Bad Day start.
Set your stats to 15/8/8/8
For positive traits take Quick, Fleet-Footed, Robust Genetics, Night Vision, remainder to taste. (I like Parkour Expert + Scout.)
For negative traits take as many as you need out of: Sleepy, Ugly, Strong Scent, and Poor Hearing. These will later be completely nullified.
Start in a Military Surplus so you can get FAKs, military rucksacks, and good clothing right off the bat.

Setting aside short term stuff like "don't die, cure infection, train necessary skills," your goal is to cook up about 8-10 units of Alpha Serum. This should be enough to cross the threshold and give you all their post-threshold mutations, meaning your stat line will jump to 18/15/15/15, all your negative traits will permanently disappear (unless something else causes you to re-mutate them), and you will barely need to sleep. If you want to get to 20 strength, there's a +2 bionic for that.

The only significant drawback is you will probably also get Fast Metabolism -- but maybe not, since you took Robust Genetics, and only the first level of it in any case. Fast Metabolism is a semi-random hunger increase that works out to 150% food consumption on average, and the Recycling Unit bionic reduces hunger to one sixth normal, so if you find one of those you still come out ahead.

Disclaimer: you'll only complete this build successfully once. Getting there the first time is interesting, it's a neat goal, and your reward is a character who's literally good at everything. But it gets boring after a while because nothing threatens you except your own carelessness or staggering bad luck, and only in cases that would be even more lethal to any other character.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Welp if you're tired and sleep near fungaloids laying down spore beds, you might wake up to your car completely entombed in the stuff. Trying to drive out just ripped my car apart.

Same here, only it was ramming a fungal bed. If you stop trying to drive out before you're totaled there are two solutions I know of. You can smash all the fungal beds, deconstruct every piece of your car that's on a fungal bed and smash those fungal beds, then rebuild and drive out. Or open the debug menu and turn all the fungal beds to dirt with the map editor.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

20 str is perfectly doable on the lab challenge.

AW COME ON.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Did you just spawn in a room with a turret? :stare: Christ.

One wonders how you even got in that situation in the first place.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yep. I guess my character could have been exploring then it turned on? But yeah the worst start.

Anyway trying to make headway in the lab start. What do people do for food and water? There's unsafeish water around and bottles of clean water. I suppose if you have cannibal you could eat the clone vat contents. Is there anything that lets you eat tainted meat?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SynthOrange posted:

Yep. I guess my character could have been exploring then it turned on? But yeah the worst start.

Anyway trying to make headway in the lab start. What do people do for food and water? There's unsafeish water around and bottles of clean water. I suppose if you have cannibal you could eat the clone vat contents. Is there anything that lets you eat tainted meat?

Nothing at character gen. I think there's some mutations that let you ... in chimeara, maybe?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's some food in the flooded living quarters blocks. A couple of fridges across from the flooded room had basic housefridge loot. Might be some in the flooded part, too, but I've never gone in there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

President Ark posted:

Nothing at character gen. I think there's some mutations that let you ... in chimeara, maybe?

There are several that let you eat rotten meat with varying degrees of safety (only rats and chimeras get the full effect, though) but I'm not certain it extends to tainted meat.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Newbie checking back in, managed to get a decent set of gear with an evac center that's about 15 tiles away from nearest city, character has night vision so I went down for some mass looting which went super well until my 3rd run of the night (huzzah night vision trait) when a feral zombie jumped me using smellovision. I was just about to ragequit when I remembered that I had a decent throwing skill from hunting with knife spears, so I figured I'd at least go down fighting throwing poo poo. loving crit brained that feral like 5x with all the heavy loot in my pack, killshot was a toolbox. :feelsgoodman:

Now for the question: Is there an option to make the advanced inventory (/) filter reset between searches? It's becoming a pain in the dick to backspace out what was in there from last time.

E: Also holy christ, enter needs to make you grab the selected item, not confirm the filter search.

E2: Also also why doesn't it just clear the filter automatically, this is a grognard game, if I want to do the same search twice, I'll type it again.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 17, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

bitcoin bastard posted:

Now for the question: Is there an option to make the advanced inventory (/) filter reset between searches? It's becoming a pain in the dick to backspace out what was in there from last time.

If you hit Escape while typing in the filter, it'll remove the filter. Still a little annoying, but handy all the same.

Now my own question: How do I start the latest experimental? The stable I had on my laptop stopped working, so I got the master zip off github. There's no EXE file in it that I can find.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did you grab the source? The builds are here: http://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-latest/Windows/Tiles/

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dareon posted:

If you hit Escape while typing in the filter, it'll remove the filter. Still a little annoying, but handy all the same.

This helps a little, thanks!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

That's probably what I did, yeah. I've gotten used to using github for mods for other games, I had forgotten they kept actual user-usable builds in a different place.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

bitcoin bastard posted:

This helps a little, thanks!

Use shift-r instead. R resets most menu things like that in the game.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
Wait. You can select where you start on the Bad Day challenge, can't you? THAT'S how you do it, isn't it.

Or any challenge, I just never thought to do it on bad day for some reason.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mystery Machine posted:

Wait. You can select where you start on the Bad Day challenge, can't you? THAT'S how you do it, isn't it.

Or any challenge, I just never thought to do it on bad day for some reason.

Your options are more limited than most starts, but yes. You can still survive from a house start, mind you, and ultimately you're going to have to hit up a couple different buildings to get what you need no matter where you go, but a military surplus has the best odds and the greatest variety of things you need.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

My earlier story about throwing poo poo at a feral until it died was made possible because I found a military supply store on the run just prior and got outfitted. That wouldn't have gone nearly as well without all the armor I found.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

When I do a really bad day start I just cheat and give myself a medkit now. I've replayed the first day of my character's life enough dozens of times to feel justified doing it. Escaping from town is still something I only end up doing like half the time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I found an apartment tower and I have really, really been liking it for the large number of beginner books and food it spawns. One question, though: if the elevator's terminal is broken, that's just tough luck, right? No way to get to the upper levels at all?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I found an apartment tower and I have really, really been liking it for the large number of beginner books and food it spawns. One question, though: if the elevator's terminal is broken, that's just tough luck, right? No way to get to the upper levels at all?

As far I can tell most elevators are broken except for like the ones you use to get into mines. I've got all the Z level stuff on though so I did once find a three story office building and a two story motel though you had to use the stairs.

Actually, can you use the construction menu to build your own stairs up to the next floor if it actually exists?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Caidin posted:

As far I can tell most elevators are broken except for like the ones you use to get into mines. I've got all the Z level stuff on though so I did once find a three story office building and a two story motel though you had to use the stairs.

Actually, can you use the construction menu to build your own stairs up to the next floor if it actually exists?

Doesn't look like it works like that. The only up stair construction is mining an up stair, which requires solid rock and is therefore unsuitable to something like an apartment tower.

Darkled
Aug 15, 2009

Coolguye posted:

Doesn't look like it works like that. The only up stair construction is mining an up stair, which requires solid rock and is therefore unsuitable to something like an apartment tower.

You only get multistory buildings if you turn on the experimental z levels I think.

As for the discussion on what to do for getting a decent number of points. I think that a good start is choosing the infected Scenario and hobo for your profession ( this gives you alcohol addiction, but you can get over that in a few days). I then put 12 in str and 12 in intel ( combat rust ) I almost always give my char night vision ( some nights you can see everything if your outside on a full moon ) and self aware but thats personal choice. There are probably better Traits. Skill IMOO are a waste of stats dont bother as you can find books to learn them. However I will sometimes put a point or 2 into bashing / cutting weapons.

Right now I am on day 10 on this char and I found a katana in a antique store.

He is the hobo verson of Michonne from the walking dead :P

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1 chargen point for 2 ranks in dodging is a bargain unless you are doing a low threat start like Survivor, in which case just find a copy of Dance Dance Dance. Dodging seriously limits the damage you take in the early game, when wounds tend to be most common, and Dodging raises very slowly otherwise.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Just turn off skill rust; it doesn't make anything interesting and provides no benefit ever.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

silentsnack posted:

Just turn off skill rust; it doesn't make anything interesting and provides no benefit ever.

I agree with this 100%. I think that skill rust is one of the worst parts of this game, and should be turned off every time. All it ever amounts to in the end game is an artificial way to make crafting things take slightly longer. You might have to keep skill books for more than just recipes, or have to grind craft something up to the desired level. It's just an obnoxious time waster

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I turned skill rust off the first day I was learning this game.

Reading a book and then almost immediately ticking back down to 99% of the last level is just obnoxious.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
skill rust on without fast learner just makes crafting too annoying to deal with

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Skill rust is a pretty good idea - or at least having some system in place to make it more difficult to be amazing at everything - but it's implemented in an extremely obnoxious way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Diminishing returns scaling with total skills, or (heaven forbid!) just using a point-based level-up system to enforce limits are good ideas. Skill rust is not, and never has been.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hooray, escaped the lab and established a little base in a nearby town. Let's put a brazier by the door and start a fire so I can craft a little then sleep.

OH GOD I THOUGHT BRAZIERS WERE SUPPOSED TO STOP FIRES SPREADING.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Hooray, escaped the lab and established a little base in a nearby town. Let's put a brazier by the door and start a fire so I can craft a little then sleep.

OH GOD I THOUGHT BRAZIERS WERE SUPPOSED TO STOP FIRES SPREADING.

They do, but you have to [a]ctivate them and then set them up, not just drop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dylguy90 posted:

When I do a really bad day start I just cheat and give myself a medkit now. I've replayed the first day of my character's life enough dozens of times to feel justified doing it. Escaping from town is still something I only end up doing like half the time.

You could also just play with the option that increases character creation points and turn on "surrounded start", so you don't have to muck around in the debug meno on every character.