Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

A Bag of Milk posted:

New Fox News Poll

Trump 18
Walker 15
Bush 14
Paul 8
Rubio 7
The rest have scraps. Pataki over Graham tho!

Interestingly, they quoted Trump's 'rapists' quote and asked people if they agreed with it.
44% Yes
53% No

Should Congress continue to investigate Benghazi?
47% Yes
49% Move on
:eyepop: Holy poo poo I knew quite a bit of the Republican base agreed with The Donald, but loving 44% of them?:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Super delegate apportionment is really easy because they are all unpledged PLEOs. All you have to do is count the endorsements.

That's why Hillary is currently leading the Democratic field with 121 delegates (88 House Reps, 27 Senators, 4 Governors, 1 ex-DNC chairman, 1 ex-President) to none for anyone else.

I cannot believe we continue this dumb farce.

fade5 posted:

:eyepop: Holy poo poo I knew quite a bit of the Republican base agreed with The Donald, but loving 44% of them?:stare:

There's a reason why HuffPo not covering him is stupid.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Wow, a 49-47 split over Benghazi in FAVOR of not continuing the investigation? Knowing Fox I'd expect that number to be much lower.

fade5 posted:

And therein lies the conundrum for the rest of the GOP field. They need these people to vote for them, but they can only dogwhistle the stuff--Trump gets to loving foghorn blast it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Alter Ego posted:

Wow, a 49-47 split over Benghazi in FAVOR of not continuing the investigation? Knowing Fox I'd expect that number to be much lower.

And therein lies the conundrum for the rest of the GOP field. They need these people to vote for them, but they can only dogwhistle the stuff--Trump gets to loving foghorn blast it.

Which makes it a "new political space" that they have to navigate.

I still don't think he's a real candidate, but maybe I am just lying to myself in the sick belief that Americans cannot be that loving terrible.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

fade5 posted:

It's worse. That's 44% of eligible voters, not just the Republican base, unless I'm missing something. It's 68% among Republicans.

I'll be pretty happy if I am missing something.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Nah, Trump is not a real candidate. If he truly is then there is no hope and it's time to move to Canada.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Bryter posted:

It's worse. That's 44% of eligible voters, not just the Republican base, unless I'm missing something. I hope I'm missing something.

I just read the actual question and holy poo poo, what a loving push poll question:

"Recently, presidential candidate Donald Trump called for a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border. He said Mexico is quote, “sending people that have lots of problems...They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.” Setting aside how Trump worded his comments, do you think he’s basically right on this, or not?"

There's one heartening piece of information in there--literally every group except self-identifying Republicans dismisses Trump as a loudmouth by a wide margin.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 17, 2015

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Tempest_56 posted:

Folks think this is a fairly accurate perspective this early in the campaign?

It comes down to the same thing as other analyses on the same lines. In order to win the election, the Republicans need about a six-point swing from 2012; in other words, they probably need the popular vote to be something on the lines of 51-48 or thereabouts.

That does imply an advantage to the Democrats, in that they probably have an advantage in situations where the popular vote is extremely close. But ultimately, that 51% mark is certainly not impossible to hit, and it more or less still comes down to the fact that whoever wins the popular vote will probably also win the election. It's true that the Republicans need to win a bunch of swing states, but I think it's also true that if they win the popular vote by any meaningful margin, they probably will win those swing states.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alter Ego posted:

It's a reference to how Donald Trump pronounces "huge".

ahh thank you

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
McCain said some mean things about Trump so now Trump is trying to run him out of the Senate.

ATribeCalledKvetch
Nov 5, 2010

I do hate myself, but it has nothing to do with being Jewish.
I thought yooj was in reference to Bernie, not the Donald? Bernie's the one with the thick Brooklyn accent.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Gregoriev posted:

I thought yooj was in reference to Bernie, not the Donald? Bernie's the one with the thick Brooklyn accent.

this

yooj wealth inequality

yooj! it is unacceptable!

51% african american youth are without jobs! that is a yooj disparity and the reality of America today! (crowd boos)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Gregoriev posted:

We're gonna build the yoojest, classiest, most luxurious welfare state.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

tekz posted:

I spend my time talking about all the dumb stuff the bad doodooheads from the red team say, im a growed up and my approach to thinking about the world as a less entertaining version of WWE is defensible

Less?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Some folks measure entertainment in oiled roid-swollen pecs.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FAUXTON posted:

GARY STRYDOM for president :vince:

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FAUXTON posted:

Some folks just want to watch drugged-up freaks act out ridiculous cultural stereotypes while spouting market-tested catchphrases during mock elimination combat

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

CheesyDog posted:

Some folks just want to watch drugged-up freaks act out ridiculous cultural stereotypes while spouting market-tested catchphrases during mock elimination combat

Also, Donald Trump.

Syphilicious!
Jul 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I bet Scott Walker and Rick Perry look pretty good nude.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Upon reflection I'm not sure why Linda McMahon's campaigns went so poorly for her

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CheesyDog posted:

Wrestling gave us Dwayne Johnson in movies, so I can't hate.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

JT Jag posted:

Actually most if the thread has been making fun of the latest thing that a Republican candidate has said. Like at least 75% I'd guess.

What most republicans say really doesn't matter. Only Trump does. I can't wait for his next disaster. :allears:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Skwirl posted:

If you want to vote for Bernie vote for Bernie. I get really annoyed with people who think Hillary is barely better than any of the republicans. At the very least she openly believes in global warming and evolution and doesn't want to start a war with Iran which i don't think you can say about any of the republicans. Also I bet she wants to expand our healthcare policies at a federal level instead of shrink them.

But is that what her banking overlords want?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Can we just skip forward to the part where he gets shot and then becomes a good person?

Trump has to win Florida first.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Politicians are limp wristed and play the political game to get their selves gains and hide it pretending to be average.

Trump has no limp wrists and makes no excuse for having lots of money. McCain owning a bunch of houses was an issue but trump owning stuff is not.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dalael posted:

What most republicans say really doesn't matter. Only Trump does. I can't wait for his next disaster. :allears:

"Disaster" is a relative term, though. Every time Trump says something offensive about Mexicans or Muslims or black people or whatever, the civilized world cringes--but Republicans eat it up and his poll numbers jump.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

From my own experience, you're an outlier there. Every jewish person I know over the age of 40 is exactly that - Israel is the Holy Land and must be protected at any cost. Even ones who have never even visited or have family members there. In the younger demographic, there's more of an attitude split but there's still a decent number of those true Zionists there. You might not notice the folks who are as I've found (aside from Facebook, where they never shut up) it isn't brought up much. When it is, the reactions I find are often shock that anyone would dare to not give complete support to Israel in everything forever. There's definetly a very significant portion of the jewish community where it's not just a big deal, it's THE deal. I know lifelong Democratic voters who've sworn to never support the party again because Bibi doesn't like Obama.

quote:

Despite the changes in Jewish identity in America, 94% of U.S. Jews (including 97% of Jews by religion and 83% of Jews of no religion) say they are proud to be Jewish. Three-quarters of U.S. Jews (including 85% of Jews by religion and 42% of Jews of no religion) also say they have “a strong sense of belonging to the Jewish people.” And emotional attachment to Israel has not waned discernibly among American Jews in the past decade, though it is markedly stronger among Jews by religion (and older Jews in general) than among Jews of no religion (and younger Jews in general).5

Overall, about seven-in-ten Jews surveyed say they feel either very attached (30%) or somewhat attached (39%) to Israel, essentially unchanged since 2000-2001. In addition, 43% of Jews have been to Israel, including 23% who have visited more than once. And 40% of Jews say they believe the land that is now Israel was given by God to the Jewish people.

At the same time, many American Jews express reservations about Israel’s approach to the peace process. Just 38% say the Israeli government is making a sincere effort to establish peace with the Palestinians. (Fewer still – 12% – think Palestinian leaders are sincerely seeking peace with Israel.) And just 17% of American Jews think the continued building of settlements in the West Bank is helpful to Israel’s security; 44% say that settlement construction hurts Israel’s own security interests.

However

http://www.pewforum.org/2013/10/01/jewish-american-beliefs-attitudes-culture-survey/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dalael posted:

The reaffirmation of the ACA by the supreme court sent heathcare stocks soaring, so yes, probably.

Additionally most plans towards universal healthcare involve skimming more and more constantly sick people and the poor off of the regular insurer rolls, which means greater profits, and even the endgame of a UHC system is likely to allow privately owned hospitals to remain intact - and to allow extra insurance on top (as many other countries do).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh yeah, a majority of Jewish Americans back Obama regarding Israel.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

CheesyDog posted:

Oh right the DNC's in Philly this time.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

I swear to god, one of these days Im going to go blind from rolling my eyes a full 360.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dalael posted:

Worse, Clinton is in the pocket of "Big University" now!

quote:

Ivy League universities were among the biggest sources of cash for the Clinton campaign. Employees of Yale University gave $72,000, more than from traditionally high-giving corporations like Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase and Google, while Harvard University employees gave $37,000.

(http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2015/07/16/what-fec-filings-show-about-2016-candidates/)

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shageletic posted:

Oh yeah, a majority of Jewish Americans back Obama regarding Israel.

To be fair, a majority of Jewish Americans back Obama on most things because they are overwhelmingly democratic. This is not true for European and Israeli jews who are mostly republican.

VVVV Trump said that Mexican immigrants are rapists and SOME are possibly maybe good people.

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 17, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Every time Trump says something offensive about Mexicans or Muslims or black people or whatever, the civilized world cringes--but Republicans eat it up and his poll numbers jump.

Bernie says some women have rape fantasies: "IT WASNT A GENERAL STATEMENT OBVIOUSLY, YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE CONTEXT ITS NBD"

Trump says some Mexican immigrants are rapists: "HOW CAN ANYONE SUPPORT THIS RACIST MONSTER"

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Brisket and Challah are only at 14%? My respect for American Jews just went way down.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Bernie says some women have rape fantasies: "IT WASNT A GENERAL STATEMENT OBVIOUSLY, YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE CONTEXT ITS NBD"

Trump says some Mexican immigrants are rapists: "HOW CAN ANYONE SUPPORT THIS RACIST MONSTER"

Um...not sure where you're going with this, but if you're seriously comparing something that Bernie Sanders wrote in college to something Donald Trump said (and has doubled and tripled down on) like a few weeks ago...

And btw context is important in both cases, seeing as how the context for Trump's statement was that he was trying to illustrate how all browns are subhuman monsters.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 17, 2015

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hillary doesn't talk about rape fantasies or accuse anyone about being rapists. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Actually yes context is important in both cases.

Bernie: made weird comment about women having rape fantasies to illustrate that patriarchal gender arrangements are damaging, in 1970-something.

Trump: made comment that Mexicans are largely rapists, that illegal immigrants are responsible for a disproportionate amount of rapes, in the service of inciting ethnic hatred and advocating an anti-immigration agenda.

But I can see how the Bernie story is an attractive one for you to decontextualize and use to dispute unrelated statements.

• Locked thread