Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I would imagine so, since having to entirely respec your character to effectively use the one soulbound weapon that jives with how you are playing your class would be silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015
So, whats the point of respec? Or even character building options? Or classes? Or stats? Or feats? I mean, why not just have the player be able to do everything and use everything? No weaknesses whatsoever right? That way, you cant mess up your character ever. True roleplaying.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
If Perception's going to be +Accuracy instead of +Deflection, is +Deflection going to get assigned to another attribute?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Solid Jake posted:

If Perception's going to be +Accuracy instead of +Deflection, is +Deflection going to get assigned to another attribute?
Deflection is still on Resolve. We're not making up for the reduction because Deflection tends to get really high on its own.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

DrShevek posted:

So, whats the point of respec? Or even character building options? Or classes? Or stats? Or feats? I mean, why not just have the player be able to do everything and use everything? No weaknesses whatsoever right? That way, you cant mess up your character ever. True roleplaying.

Hahaha I'm really glad respecs make you this angry

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015
I dont mind respecs at all. They can work well if done right. Even vanilla 3.0/3.5E had respecs of sorts in the rules for sorcerors (spell swapping), etc.

DrShevek fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 17, 2015

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
I'm here to help. This is a magic world where in game already there's mind control, mind wipes and altered memories. Some cult has Total Recall style perfected this and offers their services for a price.

Boom Roleplay reason for respecs and a good reason for you to never use this feature if you don't want it. You're welcome.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

rope kid posted:

Deflection is still on Resolve. We're not making up for the reduction because Deflection tends to get really high on its own.

Will this affect enemy accuracy/deflection as well?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Octo1 posted:

Will this affect enemy accuracy/deflection as well?
Yes.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Are balance changes (i.e. perception) going to drop at the same time as features (i.e. respecs), or will they come early?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

They're all coming with patch 2.0.

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015

Darkhold posted:

I'm here to help. This is a magic world where in game already there's mind control, mind wipes and altered memories. Some cult has Total Recall style perfected this and offers their services for a price.

Boom Roleplay reason for respecs and a good reason for you to never use this feature if you don't want it. You're welcome.

No problem at all with respecs from me. Its a convenience feature that folks can ignore. Much like modding or cheat codes. The only issue I have is with end game weapons that take various character build choices and make them meaningless. So unnecessary when you have weapon spec/focus that apply to various types of weapons at once AND you have respecs.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The alternatives are either ignoring the weapon, having 'mandatory' respecs if you want to be optimal, or having to plan for the weapon the entire run. They're all fairly lovely options, imo, when compared to "pick whatever you want, benefit from soulbound weapon."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I secretly wish the weapon focus/specialization talents would get deleted. Should have just maintained the melee/range talent division. There's always someone complaining about weapon focus in particular.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

DrShevek posted:

The only issue I have is with end game weapons that take various character build choices and make them meaningless.

Missing a +6 Accuracy on some high end weapon doesn't make it "meaningless", come on.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Looking forward to making a max might, max dex, max perception, max intellect, dump con, dump resolve wizard with these new changes mmmmmmmmmmmmm light it up

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

DrShevek posted:

No problem at all with respecs from me. Its a convenience feature that folks can ignore. Much like modding or cheat codes. The only issue I have is with end game weapons that take various character build choices and make them meaningless. So unnecessary when you have weapon spec/focus that apply to various types of weapons at once AND you have respecs.

How do you make them meaningless?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Doesn't the respec thing make the thing with those soulbound weapons using any weapon specialty redundant? Now if you don't have the greatsword spec and you want to use the greatsword, you can just redo it and get that talent.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Scorchy posted:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/621781278849798144

I dunno, I still kinda feel all the stronghold bonuses should stack? That way it's kinda a small general bonus to everything, and doesn't overlap with the role of inns for high bonuses to a specific stat or two.

Yeah, this still doesn't actually seem appealing enough to me to ever bother going back tot he stronghold to rest.

With the exception of Mechanics, I guess, in very limited circumstances.

rope kid posted:

I'm also retuning the inn bonuses so they almost all grant multiple benefits at lower value.
e: And not only skill/attribute bonuses.
Especially since it sounds like the regular rooms are going to be getting buffed.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

SunAndSpring posted:

Doesn't the respec thing make the thing with those soulbound weapons using any weapon specialty redundant? Now if you don't have the greatsword spec and you want to use the greatsword, you can just redo it and get that talent.

Weapon Specializations are not the only reason you might want to retrain. Could be skill picks (I surely regret not bumping Mechanics more and Lore less on my current run), could be spell/chants picks, or could be talents that you find you don't use much.

GlyphGryph posted:

Yeah, this still doesn't actually seem appealing enough to me to ever bother going back tot he stronghold to rest.

Definitely. A fully upgraded stronghold should give you as many bonuses as the best inn. I mean, it's a loving stronghold, it should have all the luxuries a rich Watcher could afford and more.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SunAndSpring posted:

Retraining isn't a selective re-allocation of individual Talents, Skills, and Abilities. You're effectively tearing up your character sheet and rebuilding from level 1. I don't think it's a good idea to require players to do that if they didn't have the prescience to know that their class' soulbound weapon was going to be in a different category.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

Definitely. A fully upgraded stronghold should give you as many bonuses as the best inn. I mean, it's a loving stronghold, it should have all the luxuries a rich Watcher could afford and more.
There should be a trade-off between the different types of resting locations/mechanics. Camping in the wild requires supplies and doesn't grant bonuses but it has the benefit of convenience and immediacy. Between resting at the stronghold and resting in an inn, there should be some sort of relative trade-off or eventually one becomes irrelevant and the player doesn't consider it at all. With +3 Attribute bonuses and +2 Skill bonuses, the stronghold grants the highest bonuses relative to any inn (The Noble's Rest is getting knocked down from +4 Int to +2 with an additional benefit). The inns grant multiple bonuses and bonuses that are not covered elsewhere.

E: The bonuses from the stronghold also (currently) last for 3 rest cycles, which I think is longer than most of the other ones.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 17, 2015

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

rope kid posted:

eventually one becomes irrelevant

This is a better thing than the one that we actually work towards being irrelevant for a while. Investing a big pile of resources into something and getting something that ends up being "roughly as useful but also not where you are" is disappointing. The only point I can see in investing in Stronghold sleeping quarters would be rendering inn sleeping irrelevant in those situations where I'm actually willing to go back to the stronghold. This change leaves the stronghold irrelevant.

The thing you're describing where the Stronghold grants one single boon, in order to actually make use of that, a player needs to know exactly what is coming and what would be best to tackle it and be willing to travel back to the stronghold before each such task. That... doesn't seem very fun or useful. This is why I brought up mechanics - it's the only situation where you're likely to encounter a challenge and have to say "I don't have enough to get this done, I will have to go get more" and the Stronghold thus becomes an option. Except even then it's only a good option when a consumable won't push you over the edge and you don't have a guy with sufficient mechanics which is... uncommon.

Inns are primarily a "I'm here anyways and stopping in to heal, let's pick up the bonus from a couple options that might be immediately useful" which is cool! There's a reason to do that that won't go away if the Stronghold is actually good.

But this sort of Stronghold with a bunch of mutually exclusive buffs does a few things:
a) It almost solely rewards the sort of behaviour we were making fun of people on just a page ago for being anti-fun
b) It renders most of your construction work pointless, since the bonuses are all mutually exclusive and players won't have perfect knowledge of future tasks, so they'll just be sticking to the one that seems most useful for their party
c) There's only ever really reason to invest in the one building that provides the bonus you will find most useful, and the rest can be ignored.

Now, I know I'm just being a whiny player here, but there's only really two ways I can see the Stronghold rest bonuses working and actually being fun and interesting and feel like a reward for building up the fortress.

(Easy way, still kind of boring but good) Path one: All bonuses apply. Stronghold might not be as good at some individual stat compared to an inn somewhere, but it's better overall, and it becomes a very good "default choice". A player never regrets sleeping at their stronghold, and gets rewarded for every single investment they made in the sleeping quarters. It will never be as convenient as an Inn, but whenever a player is traveling there will be a strong incentive to say "I don't know what's coming, but I'll stop at the Stronghold on the way because no matter what it is, I'll be better off for it!"

(Hard way, interesting and unique) Path two: Do as you've done with adjusting the numbers, but let us match bonuses to party members. Have this be something only available at the stronghold. So we get these big exclusive bonuses, but we get to apply them where we think they'll do the most good. +3 resolve on our main character for conversation checks, +3 intellect on our wizard for better spell radiuses, +2 mechanics to our trap guy, +3 might to our rogue.

This means we aren't always going to be rewarded for every investment, but it also means we have an incentive to invest in up to 6 different things that we think will make our party better.

rope kid posted:

E: The bonuses from the stronghold also (currently) last for 3 rest cycles, which I think is longer than most of the other ones.
Now this part is interesting - do you mean the bonuses last through 3 instances of camping or something? That would feel like it would make the stronghold special, at least, even if there's still not much of a reward for most things you build.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

Wait what? Do you mean I can camp in the wild three times before the bonuses go off?

Second Sun
Apr 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry if this has been asked before, but with CCP killing the World of Darkness MMO, has there been any thought of Obsidian using the WoD properties?

Basically if you were to do a kickstarter for a Bloodlines sequel/reboot, I would give you all my money.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Inns are always located in urban areas, so sometimes they are convenient, but often they are not. In my playthrough, it was pretty rare that I rested to gain a specific bonus for a check. Usually I rested to gain a specific bonus for the gameplay benefit (e.g. increased damage/healing or making everyone extra-sneaky).

GlyphGryph posted:

(Hard way, interesting and unique) Path two: Do as you've done with adjusting the numbers, but let us match bonuses to party members. Have this be something only available at the stronghold. So we get these big exclusive bonuses, but we get to apply them where we think they'll do the most good. +3 resolve on our main character for conversation checks, +3 intellect on our wizard for better spell radiuses, +2 mechanics to our trap guy, +3 might to our rogue.
That was the original design, but it requires an entirely new interface.

GlyphGryph posted:

Now this part is interesting - do you mean the bonuses last through 3 instances of camping or something? That would feel like it would make the stronghold special, at least, even if there's still not much of a reward for most things you build.
Yes. Many rest bonuses actually last for multiple rest cycles. Unfortunately, the UI does not display this anywhere, so most players miss it. BMac has a bug to fix this for Patch 2.0.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
For what it's worth, I'm glad the stronghold resting bonuses are getting a buff because they're really bad for no reason now, but doing anything beyond that would seem excessive to me. Ultimately, they're just resting bonuses and not important enough to warrant that much attention imo.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

What exactly does this image mean?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Oasx posted:

What exactly does this image mean?
The forum upgrade in the stronghold was buffed to give 3 int. Previously it was 1 I think?

Please ropekid can you just splash random people into the stronghold for immersion ty xoxo

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

rope kid posted:

Yes. Many rest bonuses actually last for multiple rest cycles. Unfortunately, the UI does not display this anywhere, so most players miss it. BMac has a bug to fix this for Patch 2.0.

But.. but... this changes everything!

Could a quick fix be to add this information as one of the Loading Screen tips? Maybe it's there but I've never seen it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, the stronghold rest bonuses were all previously +1 for Attributes and +1 for Skills. I buffed them all to be +3 for Attributes and +2 for Skills.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

But.. but... this changes everything!

Could a quick fix be to add this information as one of the Loading Screen tips? Maybe it's there but I've never seen it.
Well, the next patch is 2.0, so the interface should actually display that info.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rascyc posted:

I secretly wish the weapon focus/specialization talents would get deleted. Should have just maintained the melee/range talent division. There's always someone complaining about weapon focus in particular.
A huge number of players want proficiencies and even more specializations. Even if people don't like how the subdivisions of weapons are laid out, a lot of players really want their character to excel in one or two specific weapons.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
Is the turn based mode still in the works? I remember reading that it should come out this summer, it gonna make it for 2.0 or come out further down the line?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Is the turn based mode still in the works? I remember reading that it should come out this summer, it gonna make it for 2.0 or come out further down the line?

That was a joke article on RPGCodex, if I remember correctly. There is no turn based mode coming.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

April fool.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

rope kid posted:

A huge number of players want proficiencies and even more specializations. Even if people don't like how the subdivisions of weapons are laid out, a lot of players really want their character to excel in one or two specific weapons.
Yeah I guess that's a testament of how much people complain about them :P

I'm just glad their impacts are pretty minimal so I don't feel pressured into picking them. I've honestly ignored them in all my games until near cap when I am out of relevant talents.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/622122220987387904

quote:

field triage and wound binding now heal a percentage of total health instead of a flat value #pillarsofeternity #patch2 #thewhitemarch

Hmm maybe worth considering now on classes without a lot of talents.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I guess that's a testament of how much people complain about them :P

I'm just glad their impacts are pretty minimal so I don't feel pressured into picking them. I've honestly ignored them in all my games until near cap when I am out of relevant talents.
Yeah, when I noticed that Vulnerable and Savage Attack stack I kind of stopped considering Weapon Focus before level 8 at the earliest. Barbarians are the only exception because Carnage attacks are at -10 accuracy and every little bit helps there.

I don't think they're outright bad, but +6 accuracy wouldn't be especially amazing even without any kind of drawback, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope this flurry of information means that winter is coming soon.

• Locked thread