Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Supremezero posted:

Given that he has lavafalls, he probably does.

We told him how to do that. First hit makes it a half block, if you keep hitting the block with the hammer it'll cycle through all the different slopes.

But maybe he wants to keep his stuff blocky, what do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I'm going to even the slopes eventually but didn't felt like doing it at the time

Geez, bunch of block shamers itt

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
What's the minimum gear I need to kill the skeletron guarding the dungeon? Having a hard time figuring out how to progress. I have iron armor and iron sword and gold pick axe. Do I just need to go deep and get the best ore I can?

Also how hosed am I being on a large world solo? My friends I thought who were going to play with me aren't.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
So, Pinky just dropped a Slime Staff. What're the odds on that one?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
btw if you get titanium from fishing and your world just has adamentium, use that to make armor, not weapons or frost armor.

palladium, orichallium, and titanium armor sets actually have extra powers when completed unlike cobalt, mythril, and adamentium.
titanium's not only stronger than adamentium, it gives you a shadow dodge power, hit the enemy and for twenty seconds you'll dodge the next attack.
Palladium's also nice as it has extra healing so you start with that you might be able to attempt some bosses you wouldn't starting with just cobalt.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Holyshoot posted:

What's the minimum gear I need to kill the skeletron guarding the dungeon? Having a hard time figuring out how to progress. I have iron armor and iron sword and gold pick axe. Do I just need to go deep and get the best ore I can?

Also how hosed am I being on a large world solo? My friends I thought who were going to play with me aren't.

You probably shouldn't use the word minimum here. Anyway, you're best off getting shadow/crimson gear for Skeletron. You're skipping two bosses, basically.

Acne Rain posted:

btw if you get titanium from fishing and your world just has adamentium, use that to make armor, not weapons or frost armor.

palladium, orichallium, and titanium armor sets actually have extra powers when completed unlike cobalt, mythril, and adamentium.
titanium's not only stronger than adamentium, it gives you a shadow dodge power, hit the enemy and for twenty seconds you'll dodge the next attack.
Palladium's also nice as it has extra healing so you start with that you might be able to attempt some bosses you wouldn't starting with just cobalt.

Cobalt, Mythril, and Adamantium have extra "powers" just like Palladium, Orichalcum, and Titanium do. They're just extremely generic (and mostly kinda useless).

Though the "new" ores generally have better stats than the old ones. But Titanium still isn't really better than Frost.

King Doom posted:

So, Pinky just dropped a Slime Staff. What're the odds on that one?

1.3 actually updated it so that Pinky specifically has a 100x higher drop rate of the staff than other slimes (so 1%).

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 17, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
does a higher fishing power return better crates? seems like i basically only get wood ones

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Verviticus posted:

does a higher fishing power return better crates? seems like i basically only get wood ones

Anecdotally yes, though I don't know for sure. But once I got fully kitted out and was using master bait the whole time I see Iron/Golden/Biome Crates semi-regularly instead of "once in 20 fishing trips"

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Verviticus posted:

Fishing power just reduces the chance of catching junk AFAIK. Higher fishing power means you can beat the penalties of smaller water bodies. Crates are a flat 10% of your catches(increases by potions) and the types of crates are divided from that 10% with wood being the most common and gold being the rarest. Biome crates are the second rarest.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 17, 2015

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Supremezero posted:

You probably shouldn't use the word minimum here. Anyway, you're best off getting shadow/crimson gear for Skeletron. You're skipping two bosses, basically.

Cobalt, Mythril, and Adamantium have extra "powers" just like Palladium, Orichalcum, and Titanium do. They're just extremely generic (and mostly kinda useless).

Though the "new" ores generally have better stats than the old ones. But Titanium still isn't really better than Frost.

1.3 actually updated it so that Pinky specifically has a 100x higher drop rate of the staff than other slimes (so 1%).

That staff needs to be craftable. Not that the slime is terribly useful unless you quite literally start the game with it since the first real summoner gear is from the queen bee, at which point you then go straight to hell and get enough hellstone to make an imp staff because imps are way better than the summoned bees.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Skaw posted:

Fishing power just reduces the chance of catching junk AFAIK. Higher fishing power means you can beat the penalties of smaller water bodies. Crates are a flat 10% of your catches(increases by potions) and the types of crates are divided from that 10% with wood being the most common and gold being the rarest. Biome crates are the second rarest.

it also increases your odds of getting equipment according to the wiki so i thought it might work on crates too

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Verviticus posted:

it also increases your odds of getting equipment according to the wiki

what? are you using the bad wiki because it does no such thing

e: if you mean usable item fishes (like the reaver shark) then I guess it does, indirectly

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Skaw posted:

No, it's definitely not that. There's some weird thing that it does that modifies your chances to get stuff. For example, Reaver Shark. With 50% fishing power, you have a 1% chance of getting it. With 100% power, you have a 2% chance. I don't really know how it works exactly. But (at least anecdotally) it definitely increases your odds of getting the better stuff.

And it's not like there would be any point in fishing power existing if not, since you can already get rid of junk just by having the water be big enough.

By the way, for people going "Welp, fish up a Seedler, Hardmode broke in half", they apparently made Seedler not fishable anymore in 1.3.0.5. Very sad.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
It's weird that they added fishing biome crates as a way to get items that are otherwise limited, but they didn't add any for pyramid loot. I want my bundle of balloons god drat it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Excelzior posted:

what? are you using the bad wiki because it does no such thing

e: if you mean usable item fishes (like the reaver shark) then I guess it does, indirectly

i'm using the official wiki and it says stuff like this for every item: "The Reaver Shark can be obtained via Fishing in the Ocean. Chance to catch it is 1:100 with 50% Fishing power and 1:50 with 100% Fishing Power."

pretty direct, i think

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cicadalek posted:

It's weird that they added fishing biome crates as a way to get items that are otherwise limited, but they didn't add any for pyramid loot. I want my bundle of balloons god drat it.

Well it's not like they can have a desert fishing spot...

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Supremezero posted:

No, it's definitely not that. There's some weird thing that it does that modifies your chances to get stuff. For example, Reaver Shark. With 50% fishing power, you have a 1% chance of getting it. With 100% power, you have a 2% chance. I don't really know how it works exactly. But (at least anecdotally) it definitely increases your odds of getting the better stuff.

And it's not like there would be any point in fishing power existing if not, since you can already get rid of junk just by having the water be big enough.

By the way, for people going "Welp, fish up a Seedler, Hardmode broke in half", they apparently made Seedler not fishable anymore in 1.3.0.5. Very sad.

Is it 1% because half your catches are statistically going to be garbage catches at 50% power, or 1% of your actual catches though? That's the problem with the wiki really. Garbage is still counted as catches. So you have a scaling chance of fish, and of that chance you have the tool and weapon fish. Double your chance of catching fish and you inherently double your chance of getting those.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 17, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Skaw posted:

Is it 1% because half your catches are statistically going to be garbage catches at 50% power, or 1% of your actual catches though? That's the problem with the wiki really. Garbage is still counted as catches.

Not once you get past 200 tiles, it's not. 50% power is also probably enough to avoid junk by itself, I think?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, noticed that Terarria had updated, so I genned a new world and character for the hell of it and ahahahaha I'm so lost

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

50% power (which is why the good rod is exactly 50%) or 300 tiles makes junk chance 0%

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I wish the lifeform analyzer had a :siren: or at least changed text color or something to catch my attention. Even better would be an arrow to indicate a direction of the monster. Sucks to see "lost girl" pop up only to disappear two seconds later because I went the wrong way and despawned it.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

You can fish up balloons on sky islands afaik.

E: Yup.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Supremezero posted:

You've never had/built a huge lake in a desert? I was really disappointed when it didn't turn into a Beach.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Seditiar posted:

He wants the Sandstorm in a bottle, not a balloon.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Seditiar posted:

you cant fish up sandstorms though

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Supremezero posted:

He wants the Sandstorm in a bottle, not a balloon.

Verviticus posted:

you cant fish up sandstorms though

Ah, whoops. :downs:

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Supremezero posted:

Quicksand :colbert:.

Alternatively, oasis mini biome.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Internet Kraken I would just like you to know that I got vitamins on my 6th floaty gross, but no demon scythe after 200 demons.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I want to say that higher fishing power gets better stuff. I spend ages fishing for an ichorfish and a seedler, didn't get anywhere, came back with better bait and a full fishing loadout with 100+ skill and got almost nothing but special items, crates and the items I wanted in like 20 casts each, compared to eighty odd casts that just got crappy fish.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Verviticus posted:

i think the ratio is always the same for crates, unfortunately

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Here's a more finished version of my boss arena (now in night mode to show off the lighting effects):

Wraiths don't give a gently caress about the Pit Of Fire. :orks101:

Just need to hook up a couple heart/star statues and I'm all set. Where's the optimal placement on those? Should they be clustered toward the middle, or spread out more?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Wyvernil posted:

Here's a more finished version of my boss arena (now in night mode to show off the lighting effects):

Wraiths don't give a gently caress about the Pit Of Fire. :orks101:

Just need to hook up a couple heart/star statues and I'm all set. Where's the optimal placement on those? Should they be clustered toward the middle, or spread out more?

What are the glowy's in the hands? Sapphire Gemspark?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Supremezero posted:

What are the glowy's in the hands? Sapphire Gemspark?

looks like icy living flame

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:

Leper Residue posted:

Man I beat the lunatic cultist and now I'm getting my poo poo pushed in everywhere I go. So I made an expert world for that character and rushed through the mechanical bosses and am fighting my way through the jungle. By fighting, I mean dying over and over again.

I have no idea what to do either, I'm in turtle armor, have Terra blade, eye of chtulu and vampire knives, and your usual accessories. Should I go through a frostmoon or martian event for better gear?

That's just the jungle, to be honest. I haven't gotten as far as you yet, but the hardmode jungle has always been the hardest, most dangerous, and most outright frustrating area in the game to me. I groan in pain every time I have to go there because it's nonstop near-instant death madness. Even when I slapped peace candles all around and drank potions that reduce monster spawning, hollowing out a Plantera arena still took FOREVER because the goddamn hornets and lardass turtles WOULD NOT LEAVE ME THE gently caress ALONE. If you stop moving while you are not totally boxed in by terrain, you will die. It never. loving. Stops. I got banners for my 750th, 800th, 850th, and 900th hornet kill in one visit.
All I can say is keep moving. If you have a projectile weapon that autoattacks and creates light (shadowflame knife is excellent for this), use the transparent map overlay and zoom all the way in with + on the numberpad. You'll be able to see where you're going in total darkness, and it makes it easier for me to see incoming hornets and stingers. That makes it harder to see in water though, so just assume any water is teeming with arapaima. It usually is. The glow from the thrown knives will reveal the map, and it's actually a decent weapon to kill things with. Shadowflame knife is a goblin summoner drop.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Is there an effective way to use heart statues to just constantly spit out hearts so that you could live through bosses easier?

EDIT: Lucked out and found an early way to make enough money to always afford anything the traveling merchant is selling or reforging when that time comes around. Found a connected fish statue that works down in a mushroom biome and have 500 goldfish on me as of writing this.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 18, 2015

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Is there an effective way to use heart statues to just constantly spit out hearts so that you could live through bosses easier?

Wire a timer up to the statue, you can make them by combining a stopwatch with some wire. Just use a five-second timer, there's a ten second delay before a single statue can produce hearts again. That said, you can wire up to six timers to a statue at a time, and if they're synchronized the statue will dump out a heart for each timer if it's set up correctly.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

kvx687 posted:

Wire a timer up to the statue, you can make them by combining a stopwatch with some wire. Just use a five-second timer, there's a ten second delay before a single statue can produce hearts again. That said, you can wire up to six timers to a statue at a time, and if they're synchronized the statue will dump out a heart for each timer if it's set up correctly.

I tried a variant of this trick which was to attach multiple wires from the same timer to the statue so it pumped out multiple hearts, but it looks like that got patched recently. I could only get one heart/star out of the statue no matter how I hooked the wires up.

Haven't tried it with multiple timers yet. Maybe that still works.

EDIT: And nope. Looks like each heart/star only spits out one per use. Attaching one timer to two statues powered them both, though.

Wyvernil fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 18, 2015

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Why did you put a giant woman chained to posts in a bikini in your arena?

Read fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 18, 2015

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Okay, I beat the Lunar event not long ago, and I can kind of see why the Solar Pillar seems so hard for everyone. Yet... If the Solar Pillar is close enough to the ground, just dig out a hiding spot underneath it and use a weapon that goes through blocks to kill enemies until the barrier disappears. Only one enemy type can get to you from there. I worked this out because my Solar Pillar spawns in my tundra, so I had to dig through the hills that always spawn to avoid getting swarmed by those drat worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Read posted:

Why did you put a giant woman chained to posts in a bikini in your arena?

Better question: Why the hell not?