Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

QuelleFuck posted:

Google is the retroactive verb I'm throwing on it, cousin probably told them to "internet search with DogPile" or whatever we kids were using then.

The things that come to mind are hotbot, lycos and yahoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

syscall girl posted:

The things that come to mind are hotbot, lycos and yahoo.

Don't forget Webcrawler and AltaVista! :v: And if you were really with it, you used Metacrawler, which searched all of them and returned the "best" results.

According to Wikipedia, Google didn't even exist until after I turned 18. :corsair:

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I thought that a t-bone was tenderloin and ribeye, when in fact it is tenderloin and strip loin.

I am a professional and have been mistaken on this subject for years. It was pretty distressing to discover

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Besesoth posted:

Don't forget Webcrawler and AltaVista! :v: And if you were really with it, you used Metacrawler, which searched all of them and returned the "best" results.

According to Wikipedia, Google didn't even exist until after I turned 18. :corsair:

It was AltaVista for me. They were the future, man.

http://sixrevisions.com/web_design/popular-search-engines-in-the-90s-then-and-now/

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Tom Hardy isn't in Prometheus :psyboom:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

FeastForCows posted:

To stay on topic with the moist ball discussion, I just found out that KY Jelly is not a dessert. Kinda funny to think about how often I heard the name over the years and it always seemed to fit with the context.
You sure about that?
http://foodforthethoughtless.com/2012/10/ky-jelly-is-my-new-jam/

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The yellow M&M is voiced by JK loving Simmons.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Tom Hardy isn't in Prometheus :psyboom:

Which character did you think was Tom Hardy?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Which character did you think was Tom Hardy?

The guy with the triple name apparently.

I looked at a poster for Child 44 and noticed that it had Noomi Rapace and Tom Hardy. And I was like, they were also both in The Drop. So I thought, what else aside from Prometheus have they both been in, and looked them up on IMDB. Welp, only one of them were in Prometheus.

But seriously, this is not goon-prosopagnosia. I can tell the difference between Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio, even in The Departed. He just seriously looks like Tom Hardy, one hundred percent.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The guy with the triple name apparently.

I looked at a poster for Child 44 and noticed that it had Noomi Rapace and Tom Hardy. And I was like, they were also both in The Drop. So I thought, what else aside from Prometheus have they both been in, and looked them up on IMDB. Welp, only one of them were in Prometheus.

But seriously, this is not goon-prosopagnosia. I can tell the difference between Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio, even in The Departed. He just seriously looks like Tom Hardy, one hundred percent.

I agree that he does resemble Tom Hardy, at first I thought it was him too.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Tom Hardy was in Star Trek: Nemesis perhaps you confused one terrible space movie for another?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

kazil posted:

Tom Hardy was in Star Trek: Nemesis perhaps you confused one terrible space movie for another?

I did not

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
TIL what TIL means.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
The Doonesbury and Bloom County guys aren't the same person.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Cloud Atlas was not written by David Mitchell. Well, it was, but not that David Mitchell. I read it for quite some time before wondering where the comedy came in.

Also, popular marijuana enthusiasts Cypress Hill once wrote "I ain't got no kind of love for a brother who comes to the party with no bud". It took me fifteen years to work out that they were not, in fact, talking about Budweiser, despite it being incredibly obvious to pretty much everyone who ever lived.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Cloud Atlas was not written by David Mitchell. Well, it was, but not that David Mitchell. I read it for quite some time before wondering where the comedy came in.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Also, popular marijuana enthusiasts Cypress Hill once wrote "I ain't got no kind of love for a brother who comes to the party with no bud". It took me fifteen years to work out that they were not, in fact, talking about Budweiser, despite it being incredibly obvious to pretty much everyone who ever lived.

I have made this error as well.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I never knew there was a second overtly right-wing cable news station.

From D&D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Q0MMHwx4k

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Macys posted:

I never knew there was a second overtly right-wing cable news station.

From D&D:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Q0MMHwx4k

Are you including Newsmax in that count, or are we actually up to three now?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

"moonage daydream" is like, totally about gay sex.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Ryoshi posted:

Helter Skelter is totally about a race war. I'm surprised no one's ever noticed this.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

Are you including Newsmax in that count, or are we actually up to three now?

Never heard of that one, either.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Brown eggs are actually the same as regular eggs, they just have a different coloured shell. I always thought they were a type of fruit that resembled eggs.. Never actually handled them.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gentle pete posted:

Brown eggs are actually the same as regular eggs, they just have a different coloured shell. I always thought they were a type of fruit that resembled eggs.. Never actually handled them.

Watch out, you're gonna flip when you find out about green eggs.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Inzombiac posted:

Watch out, you're gonna flip when you find out about green eggs.

Green Eggs and Ham is a metaphor for gay sex.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I dunno I've handled eggs of several colors, they seem the same to me?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

gentle pete posted:

You must be joking, right?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mister Macys posted:

The Doonesbury and Bloom County guys aren't the same person.

Hold up, is this a clever troll to get rubes like me?

Well I just looked it up, poo poo a brick and gently caress me with it :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jason Jones was not in The Hangover. That was Ed Helms. They were both on The Daily Show, and I probably thought they were the same person then too.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Geokinesis posted:

You must be joking, right?

If you check his rap sheet you'll see he has a weird love affair with brown eggs going on.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
"Sergeant Pepper" is a pun of "salt and pepper". This didn't occur to me until yesterday.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLKPCDojlU4
The lyric is "disconnected", not "disco naked". I've owned this album in three iterations for, like, three decades and I just loving worked that out. Christ.

In my defense, I've had hearing trouble since I was young and have a lot of trouble with lyrics in general. Still.
Christ.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
When Otis Redding says that he "headed for the Frisco Bay" in Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay, he means San Francisco.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

xcheopis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLKPCDojlU4
The lyric is "disconnected", not "disco naked". I've owned this album in three iterations for, like, three decades and I just loving worked that out. Christ.

In my defense, I've had hearing trouble since I was young and have a lot of trouble with lyrics in general. Still.
Christ.

Mondegreen is an inspirational source of some of my best imaginary book/song titles.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

No, but Width Of A Circle is.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

No, but Width Of A Circle is.

"The church of man love is such a holy place for me" is definitely not about gay sex, right. It's cool Jimbo I'll be your rockin rollin bitch for you. :bigtran::love:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Recently found out it's "those kids were fast as lightning," not "those cats were fast as lightning."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Recently found out it's "those kids were fast as lightning," not "those cats were fast as lightning."

Pretty sure it's actually "those kicks were fast as lightning."

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
the bald guy in Corky and the Juice Pigs isn't Will Sasso

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Ryoshi posted:

"The church of man love is such a holy place for me" is definitely not about gay sex, right. It's cool Jimbo I'll be your rockin rollin bitch for you. :bigtran::love:

It's:
The church of man, love
Is such a holy place to be
Make me baby, make me know you really care

More to the point, the song was written using a cut-up technique.