Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I didn't turn off skill rust entirely but I did set it to cap at current level, so I won't ever lose skill levels from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Sorry, pocket post.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jul 18, 2015

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

So did I just stumble on a bug, or do I not understand how the secondary skill is supposed to work with crafting? I thought reflex recurve bow required fabrication 5 and archery 7.

E: Also holy christ skill rust really is garbage, is there any way to turn it off midgame? I'm not opposed to opening up a savefile in a text editor, I just have no idea where to look. Oh wow, an in-game option editor, thanks devs. If anyone reading this later is curious, its ?-2 for options, then skill rust is under debug.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 18, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Save and quit to the menu, go to options, and turn it off under debug.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

bitcoin bastard posted:

So did I just stumble on a bug, or do I not understand how the secondary skill is supposed to work with crafting? I thought reflex recurve bow required fabrication 5 and archery 7.

E: Also holy christ skill rust really is garbage, is there any way to turn it off midgame? I'm not opposed to opening up a savefile in a text editor, I just have no idea where to look.

Yes, open the help menu with the ? key, then I believe options is 2 in that menu, then go over to debug, and switch it to off. It really is a must to turn it off, worst addition the game has ever had

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks, ended up finding it. Google is your friend!

:justpost:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Ahahaha yesss. I led a horde of zombies from a local megastore up to a fungal tower close by

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Did something change in the latest experimentals or have I always been extremely lucky until now? I started a new game and the town I'm at is absolutely swarming with feral predators and other higher level zombies (it's still spring too).

Not that it has been a problem because I found a shotgun but hey. :v:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So, how can I build a wheelbarrow/something to carry stuff from scratch? My latest start didn't have any near.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Press * and scroll all the way down. Start Vehicle Construction is near the bottom.

I found a fursuit. It's incredibly warm and provides me with 100% coverage. The downside is it's a fursuit.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

bitcoin bastard posted:

E: Also holy christ skill rust really is garbage, is there any way to turn it off midgame? I'm not opposed to opening up a savefile in a text editor, I just have no idea where to look. Oh wow, an in-game option editor, thanks devs. If anyone reading this later is curious, its ?-2 for options, then skill rust is under debug.

I think the secondary skill just makes you autolearn the recipe once you hit it, and you just had a book on hand and used it instead.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SynthOrange posted:

Press * and scroll all the way down. Start Vehicle Construction is near the bottom.

Yeah, it's asking me to get either a Steel Frame (for a box) or a Cargo Carrier (for a storage area) to strap onto my frame, and I don't know how to get one.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can use any frame type. You can make a light wood frame by pressing & and going to Other->Parts. Takes two by fours and some rope though. You might have better luck smashing or cutting up a vehicle if you've got 2 mechanics. And putting together a vehicle needs a bunch of duct tape and some tools.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fat Samurai posted:

Yeah, it's asking me to get either a Steel Frame (for a box) or a Cargo Carrier (for a storage area) to strap onto my frame, and I don't know how to get one.

You can make a frame with a bunch of fabrication skill, a metalworking setup (That itself needs steel frames, so no bootstrapping there), and some steel chunks/lumps. Otherwise, you'll need to pull them off of more intact vehicles (mechanics 2, wrench&hacksaw).

If you just want a starting hauler to drag around with you, go yank curtains off of windows until you can make some ropes out of the strings. With those ropes and some 2x4s, you can make a light wooden frame, which will make a travois when stuck to a vehicle.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

I found a fursuit. It's incredibly warm and provides me with 100% coverage. The downside is it's a fursuit.

I hadn't seen the wolf fur suit before, and when I came upon it in a small room in a house at night it honestly gave me more of a shock than any other monster has.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
Pizza parlors usually have a fursuit or two stocked. After I loot the sausage, flour, and bacon from the store, I burn it down every time. CLEANSE IT WITH FIRE :flame:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

huh that's weird, why is a smoker zombie this far out in the wilderne

e:also weird how a 200 year old gun is one of the best ways to level up handguns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man. My 20 str character can shove cars, but not flatbed trucks. So much for free storage. Wait, what if I smash up everything BUT the storage?

It totally worked. Dragging around 6000 volume of storage with my muscles and throwing everything inside it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

SynthOrange posted:

Oh man. My 20 str character can shove cars, but not flatbed trucks. So much for free storage. Wait, what if I smash up everything BUT the storage?

It totally worked. Dragging around 6000 volume of storage with my muscles and throwing everything inside it.

Also helps if it has wheels.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, on my last high-strength character I just bolted a couple of shopping carts together and replaced the baskets with cargo carriers. 2000 volume is plenty of storage space for raiding with, and the two-tile 'vehicle' is only mildly cumbersome to maneuver with and can often be dragged through patches of forest just fine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So what's the best thing to add to the ramming parts of your vehicle? Blades are actually worse than spikes despite taking more to create. I've already got heavy frames there and for laughs I stripped the rollers off a steamroller and attached them to the front with spiked steel plates.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Spikes (not spiked plates, just spikes) are good. Yes, they break easily, but that's fine - every time that lovely spike you made out of a lump of steel you pulled out of a pile of wreckage breaks, that's an actual important and expensive/time-consuming to make part on your main vehicle that didn't break.

Pretty much anything you put up there will break eventually so just use the sturdiest parts you have (drum rollers, heavy frames, armor plating) and put spikes all over the front.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

SynthOrange posted:

So what's the best thing to add to the ramming parts of your vehicle? Blades are actually worse than spikes despite taking more to create. I've already got heavy frames there and for laughs I stripped the rollers off a steamroller and attached them to the front with spiked steel plates.

Military Composite Armor. I've driven through forests without that much issue before. Required repairs but no replacement parts were needed afterwards.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but that stuff requires level 8 mechanics. I mean you'll get there through constantly repairing a vehicle but it'll take awhile.

My melee monster is doing pretty well but yeah I think I've exhausted the walking distance around my base, set up around an old church for the console's light. I've found working consoles in churches and radio stations, so might have to look for another one to move into. Pity that you cant cook through the heat of a monitor. :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hit up a refugee center for perma-light and loads of space. Least until you get a couple atomic lamps or a solar array for floodlights.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah but that stuff requires level 8 mechanics. I mean you'll get there through constantly repairing a vehicle but it'll take awhile.

Disassemble a bunch of cars. It's basically free if you have a hacksaw and a jack, all it takes is time.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

President Ark posted:

Disassemble a bunch of cars. It's basically free if you have a hacksaw and a jack, all it takes is time.

Yeah, the only real obstacle to getting 8 mechanics is finding enough food to spend 2 days hacking cars apart without starving.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.
The books to get up to 8 mechanics aren't that rare, either

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Artificer posted:

Military Composite Armor. I've driven through forests without that much issue before. Required repairs but no replacement parts were needed afterwards.

If you have access to the armor you can also just install the military composite ram parts, which only require 2 mechanics and a single piece of composite. They don't do as much damage as blades or spikes I think, but you can pretty much plow through forests and slam other cars out of the way as long as you like.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay that's new. Lab challenge started me outside of the lab building.

Inside a military truck.

Outside the truck is a tank drone.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

If you have access to the armor you can also just install the military composite ram parts, which only require 2 mechanics and a single piece of composite. They don't do as much damage as blades or spikes I think, but you can pretty much plow through forests and slam other cars out of the way as long as you like.

The WHAT? Where do you find those?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It might be part of the expanded vehicle parts mod.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Which you want, so go install it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

It might be part of the expanded vehicle parts mod.

I do have it. Hmm.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
as walls keep shifting
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Artificer posted:

I do have it. Hmm.

Always always play with vehicle parts additions. You will feel bad once you get to the point where you can make a mad max War Rig, and then find that you can't add a home made railgun to the top.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Kayle7 posted:

Always always play with vehicle parts additions. You will feel bad once you get to the point where you can make a mad max War Rig, and then find that you can't add a home made railgun to the top.

Or use a mounted rubber-band-slingshot to lob improvised mortar shells at a military emplacement.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or build an entire car out of bone. :unsmigghh:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
In an interesting commentary of the service industry, I found a misshapen fetus in the garbage bin of a restaurant.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sooooo....are you gonna eat that?

Dibs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

In an interesting commentary of the service industry, I found a misshapen fetus in the garbage bin of a restaurant.

They can't serve the misshapen ones.