Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

I don't actually have a top 5 ever because movies can't be read objectively even by the same person twice. It largely depends on moods/what's important to you in life.

For example jaws was a loving masterpiece but I wouldn't put it anywhere near my top 100.

Short term 12, one two three, Harold and maude, the lady from Shanghai, do the right thing would all probably be the 5 movies that I consider my absolute favorites right now and ironically jaws is probably a better movie than all 5 of those put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

also pmom and i had a cool hang-out and we saw chvrches debut a song that is now going viral on social media, so :D

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Ernie. posted:

also pmom and i had a cool hang-out and we saw chvrches debut a song that is now going viral on social media, so :D

That's loving boss and I am super jealous.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Tremendous Taste posted:

Deservedly so

My top 5 *favorite* movies of my lifetime

Southland Tales
Princess Mononoke
Stick It
Empire Records
LA Confidential

None of those would be in the discussion for quality

This is from several pages back but I think Southland Tales is a movie that wasn't big enough to handle its own brilliance, it's one of my favorites as well.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Also the last movie that made me tear up was Terminator Genisys -- "take care of my Sarah"

Last movie that made me straight up weep was Love. That last sequence hit me so hard I cried for an hour afterwards.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Oh yeah short term 12 was a really good movie.

I guess my number 5 all time fave movie is Thirteen.

Final List:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Oculus
Big Fish
Empire Records
Thirteen

idk that list doesn't look right for some reason.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ghostbusters
Apocalypse Now
Big Lebowski
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jurassic Park

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Opopanax posted:

Ghostbusters
Apocalypse Now
Big Lebowski
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Jurassic Park

This is a good list. I feel like I understand you better having read it.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Top five is really hard because I watch a poo poo ton of movies

Blade Runner
Donnie Darko
Synecdoche, New York
Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Brick

First runner up is Gravity I guess, I really had to think hard about bumping one of those off the list because Gravity has had such a huge impact on me since I saw it, but meh gotta stick with the ones I've loved for years and years and years and also Blade Runner.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I am a Boston sports fan who hates other Boston sports fans because they are crazy assholes. I am married to a psychotic Boston sports fan.

On an unrelated note, how do I tie a noose?

Edit: she also does the toilet paper all wrong and backwards like some kind of heathen.

Relationship problems itt

WHICH WAY MADNESS fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 18, 2015

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Look Under The Rock posted:

I really had to think hard about bumping one of those off the list because Gravity has had such a huge impact on me since I saw it

why?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BottleKnight posted:

This is a good list. I feel like I understand you better having read it.

Yeah I'm pretty great.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
top 5 is too limiting, a top 25 would be better

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I could easily name 25 movies I'll always love

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

bowmore posted:

I could easily name 25 movies I'll always love

i could name one movie you will always love, bowmore

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Ernie. posted:

Teen Butts 23?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ernie. posted:

yes?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
b i n g o the dog

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0101455/

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Opopanax posted:

Teen Butts 23?

Classic film.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I badly, badly want to go to space.

Like I applied to be a part of Mars One even though I lacked any necessary skills to be a part of a team. I actually make a concerted effort to not think about space travel because a lot of the time it will just make me feel horribly depressed that I probably won't ever get to go to space.

If I tell this to people, most of them get all condescending like "oh you never know, space tourism is gonna be a thing, you might be able to go when you're like sixty" or something to that effect and they just don't get it, I don't wanna just leave the atmosphere and check out some stars for twenty minutes and come back, I straight up want to go live on a space station for a while or work on a planetary exploration team or something like that.

When I saw Gravity for the first time I saw it in the theatre twice in one day. I cried like a baby both times. I left that movie maybe with the sort of experience Ecco had with Fury Road, that I'd been waiting my entire life to see a movie like this. The visuals are just so captivating, I know the science is off and the story is weak and I totally don't care. I just love the gorgeous expanse of it, it's even cool on a small screen. I've seen it like eight or ten times now and that shot where the Chinese space station debris is burning up during her re-entry still raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

I just can't think of another movie that has such a strongly positive visceral effect on me. It's not the best sci-fi movie ever and I'm fully aware that it's fatally flawed but I don't care because that movie just gets me.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

tldr I'd mop floors at NASA if it meant I could just be around space poo poo all day

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

I just can't think of another movie that has such a strongly positive visceral effect on me. It's not the best sci-fi movie ever and I'm fully aware that it's fatally flawed but I don't care because that movie just gets me.

This is how I feel about The West Wing. Other Aaron Sorkin works too, but West Wing especially. It is an imperfect show, but it is my favourite show by a mile. I've seen every episode at least a dozen times and I will never get tired of it. It's just so incredibly my thing in every way.

If we had some sort of Aaron Sorkin pre-apocalypse movie I think that'd be my favourite piece of media ever.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also gently caress space!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

it's beside your post text

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I badly, badly want to go to space.

Like I applied to be a part of Mars One even though I lacked any necessary skills to be a part of a team. I actually make a concerted effort to not think about space travel because a lot of the time it will just make me feel horribly depressed that I probably won't ever get to go to space.

If I tell this to people, most of them get all condescending like "oh you never know, space tourism is gonna be a thing, you might be able to go when you're like sixty" or something to that effect and they just don't get it, I don't wanna just leave the atmosphere and check out some stars for twenty minutes and come back, I straight up want to go live on a space station for a while or work on a planetary exploration team or something like that.

When I saw Gravity for the first time I saw it in the theatre twice in one day. I cried like a baby both times. I left that movie maybe with the sort of experience Ecco had with Fury Road, that I'd been waiting my entire life to see a movie like this. The visuals are just so captivating, I know the science is off and the story is weak and I totally don't care. I just love the gorgeous expanse of it, it's even cool on a small screen. I've seen it like eight or ten times now and that shot where the Chinese space station debris is burning up during her re-entry still raises the hairs on the back of my neck.

oh please don't be depressed about not going to space!! as someone (me) who wants to do scientific experimentation for space travel in the next ~10 years, keep in mind all the horrific things we'll have to endure. inter-generational expeditions, people never knowing anything but the inside of a space-ship, new diseases, learning the true depths of our inability to get anything right. all for the chance to escape. i always think of it like living in the 1400s and crossing the atlantic. not pleasant for anyone. and at the end of the day here we are and we ... speak, think and laugh in much the same way we always have and we haven't gained much, much from it.

gravity is a great movie and it's spurned a lot of movie technical improvements to get its sound right, and it motivated studios to invest in other space movies like interstellar which in turn gave us the chance to explore some really cool mathematical models for gravitational lensing! but i think it's worth it keeping in mind how conceited the movie was, and that you're in love with space and not the movie. and to those ends, i highly doubt that you'd be out of place with any skill-sets you might have to volunteer at an observatory, or do amateur backyard telescope star-gazing to help find stray comets that we simply don't have the human-power necessary to map all of them that are coming towards us, or to participate in the numerous health/clinical studies for space food and medication, or to host space education night classes at your local community college to increase public interest etc.

also later this year no man's sky the video game is coming out and i fully plan to pretend i'm a space biologist and blog about discovering new species for a few weeks non-stop. :P
you should try that, i guess you'll find it'll be cathartic much in the same way i will

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 18, 2015

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any one feeling a bit crabby?

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

imgay posted:

Any one feeling a bit crabby?

THAT'S NOT A CRAB IT'S A LOBSTER, STUPID

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EXAKT Science posted:

THAT'S NOT A CRAB IT'S A LOBSTER, STUPID

Pretty shellfish of you to take that away from him.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

CCKeane posted:

Pretty shellfish of you to take that away from him.

I was shrimply pointing out his error.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EXAKT Science posted:

I was shrimply pointing out his error.

You better start buttering up to people of you want to get treated kindly and not thrown into a pot of boiling water.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I lst the thread a little there I think.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
feeling lobstery sounds dumb though

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

imgay posted:

feeling lobstery sounds dumb though

You'd really have to claw at it to make it work.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

CCKeane posted:

You'd really have to claw at it to make it work.

Eh, it'll do in a pinch.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Your stupid puns make me want to krill myself.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey don't take puns like this for granite

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh whoops I misspelled granted, a very embarrassing mistake

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh whoops I misspelled granted, a very embarrassing mistake

that's the sort of mistake only a basalt bitch would make

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I wish you all would clam up.