Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EXAKT Science posted:

that's the sort of mistake only a basalt bitch would make

That's not very gneiss of you to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

TMMadman posted:

That's not very gneiss of you to say.

azurite, and because of how slate it is, i'll stop.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I absolutely adore puns but I cannot say emphatically enough how completely and utterly dreadful these are.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Are you kidding? These puns are a marble.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

OmegaGoo posted:

Are you kidding? These puns are a marble.
you don't even go here!!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Hi mafia thread! I've been on vacation for a week and a half! I had fun and did fun things! What did you do for 2000+ posts?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Little Mac posted:

Hi mafia thread! I've been on vacation for a week and a half! I had fun and did fun things! What did you do for 2000+ posts?

did a million buzzfeeds and told actually bad puns and argued about movies, the usual.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Little Mac posted:

I've been playing Splatoons mostly

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

imgay posted:

Any one feeling a bit crabby?

This place is literally around the corner from my house. Maybe I can go get a picture with this guy before he goes to the aquarium :)

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Ernie. posted:

oh please don't be depressed about not going to space!! as someone (me) who wants to do scientific experimentation for space travel in the next ~10 years, keep in mind all the horrific things we'll have to endure. inter-generational expeditions, people never knowing anything but the inside of a space-ship, new diseases, learning the true depths of our inability to get anything right. all for the chance to escape. i always think of it like living in the 1400s and crossing the atlantic. not pleasant for anyone. and at the end of the day here we are and we ... speak, think and laugh in much the same way we always have and we haven't gained much, much from it.

gravity is a great movie and it's spurned a lot of movie technical improvements to get its sound right, and it motivated studios to invest in other space movies like interstellar which in turn gave us the chance to explore some really cool mathematical models for gravitational lensing! but i think it's worth it keeping in mind how conceited the movie was, and that you're in love with space and not the movie. and to those ends, i highly doubt that you'd be out of place with any skill-sets you might have to volunteer at an observatory, or do amateur backyard telescope star-gazing to help find stray comets that we simply don't have the human-power necessary to map all of them that are coming towards us, or to participate in the numerous health/clinical studies for space food and medication, or to host space education night classes at your local community college to increase public interest etc.

also later this year no man's sky the video game is coming out and i fully plan to pretend i'm a space biologist and blog about discovering new species for a few weeks non-stop. :P
you should try that, i guess you'll find it'll be cathartic much in the same way i will

Thanks for this lovely post. I don't know what sorts if volunteer opportunities are available around here, but I live in a city so light pollution makes stargazing kind of impossible. I'm hoping to take a trip to Dark Sky Park up north this summer, tried to do it last year and it didn't work out. I don't play video games but I may need to make an exception for No Man's Sky.

You talking about all the horrors that will come with space exploration is interesting. I think part of my fascination with space is that when I was I kid I read a lot of historical fiction and got obsessed with pioneers and explorers, and then I looked at maps and saw that pretty much everything has been found. As I grew older I stopped thinking that starting a bunch of new cities in wild places was a good idea for conservation reasons, and right around then I discovered science fiction and thinking about being a space pioneer, all struggles included, became a really solid way to sort of slip out of the mundanity of impoverished white people life.

Someone really needs to just mod Oregon Trail 2 already. Just change the wagons to ships, add "freeze dried" in front of all the food items, switch up the random encounters from buffalo stampedes to asteroid belts. You have died of Space Dysentery.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

you don't even go here!!

I just have a lot of feelings

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Okay Mafia thread, give me your top five albums. I'll start.

Harvey Danger "King James Version"
Jason Isbell "Southeastern"
Mike Doughty "The Flip is Another Honey"
Japandroids "Celebration Rock"
Jimmy Eat World "Futures"

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

BottleKnight posted:

I've been playing Splatoons mostly

This is a good post

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Look Under The Rock posted:

Okay Mafia thread, give me your top five albums. I'll start.

Harvey Danger "King James Version"
Jason Isbell "Southeastern"
Mike Doughty "The Flip is Another Honey"
Japandroids "Celebration Rock"
Jimmy Eat World "Futures"

Between the Buried and Me - Colors
In Flames - Clayman
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Ne Obliviscaris - Citadel
Darkest Hour - Undoing Ruin

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

I absolutely adore puns but I cannot say emphatically enough how completely and utterly dreadful these are.

Well, just for you, I shale stop, but it will be tuff.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
Just chalk this up to a failed experiment.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 27, 2020

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Look Under The Rock posted:

Okay Mafia thread, give me your top five albums. I'll start

Ugh...

Radiohead - OK Computer
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Tool - Lateralus
Coldplay - Parachutes
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Runners up:
Neil Young - Harvest
CSNY - Deja Vu

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

what's an album? who doesn't just buy one or two songs at a time? :confused:

e: oh it's like a mixtape of the band's music. that's weird.

:frogout:

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to a strop club tonight to watch midgets wrestle. It's gonna be a good night

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

ecco is basically a poor man's tremendous taste at this point :(

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

what's an album? who doesn't just buy one or two songs at a time? :confused:

e: oh it's like a mixtape of the band's music. that's weird.

Yes, this is me. I've never been able to answer the album question, cause I can't think of a single full album I like. I like songs. I honestly have no affinity to any particular musician or band, which is probably why I never feel the need to go to concerts. I may like one song this person did, but that has nothing to do with liking any of their other stuff.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

No, it's a real opinion people have, not things 14 year olds say to be edgy.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
to be fair, most musicians don't really use the album format well

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love
fun. - Aim & Ignite
The Littlest Man Band - Better Book Ends
the bird and the bee - Ray Guns Are Not Just the Future
Lily Allen - I can't really choose between Alright, Still and It's Not Me, It's You

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

Indeed. I don't listen to albums as a whole unless I love the artist ala Neutral Milk Hotel etc as I find it to be a waste of time since the majority of the songs will be meh at best

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Queen - Innuendo
World Inferno Friendship Society - Addicted to Bad Ideas
Beck - Midnight Vultures
Yula Beeri - Dark Side of the Bee
Daft Punk - Discovery

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

last weekend I finally watched all of Interstella555 or whatever, it was a lot of fun! I miss anime sometimes!

My favorite anime is the simpsons.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

HiipFire posted:

to be fair, most musicians don't really use the album format well

The reason I listen to jambands is because (a) every live show has a different setlist / improvisation and (b) pretty much every live show is available online for free. This is great for the fans because there's a near-unlimited catalog of music to listen to, and great for the bands because it keeps the fans coming back to their live shows. With the exception of Phish, I haven't listened to any of my favorite bands studio albums because I like their live stuff more and there's a huge abundance of it.

Here are five studio albums where I know all the words, like all the songs, and have listened to them a few hundred times each:

Phish - Junta
Sublime - 40 oz to Freedom
Less than Jake - Losing Streak
Daft Punk - Discovery
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

Ernie. posted:

This thread is a basically a poor man's PYF at this point :)

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

The reason I listen to jambands is because (a) every live show has a different setlist / improvisation and (b) pretty much every live show is available online for free. This is great for the fans because there's a near-unlimited catalog of music to listen to, and great for the bands because it keeps the fans coming back to their live shows. With the exception of Phish, I haven't listened to any of my favorite bands studio albums because I like their live stuff more and there's a huge abundance of it.

Here are five studio albums where I know all the words, like all the songs, and have listened to them a few hundred times each:

Phish - Junta
Sublime - 40 oz to Freedom
Less than Jake - Losing Streak
Daft Punk - Discovery
A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory

This thread is a basically a poor man's PYF at this point :)

We are poor in posting but rich in friendship.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

my roommate had never watched the simpsons until living with me and even though only the more recent seasons are on active syndication she is still liking it.

a few days ago she finally asked "what state do the Simpsons live in?"

"Um... Springfield."

"Springfield... Maryland???"

:getin:

I thought about it some more my favorite anime is family guy.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

EccoRaven posted:

last weekend I finally watched all of Interstella555 or whatever, it was a lot of fun! I miss anime sometimes!

Interstella is great, but mildly bittersweet for me because I first saw it with a friend who I had a pretty large falling out with.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

i didn't say that the opinion isn't real, more like the opinion is particularly charged

the 'album format is dead' argument really holds up by what you consider 'success' is. if you define success as 'what's constantly shared on social media' or 'which resonates with artist popularity more the single or the album' then gently caress yeah it's dead. if you define it by literally any other metric it's still alive. super artists still hit sales records for albums, streaming services still see full albums played through at an unchanging constant rate, and vinyl is having a resurgence: one of the mediums that is least single-friendly. and even among the super popular artists who are contractually driven to re-affirm this bad culture of singles on the radio, few get their style through at an album length; for example florence and the machine and lady gaga and eminem and and and.

also, i find it socially/economically careless when people regurgitate this argument, because it's a top-down approach to music, where the upper crust of society, those who could afford to buy into apple's ecosystem early on, dictated what's popular; as opposed to a bottom-up approach where people dissect albums at their own leisure and then vote to get what they're interested in on a radio station's playlist

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

also lockah and algiers have great releases this july :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Capps has been lying to us about where he's been and I have proof.