Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

So can someone explain the appeal of blood magic to me? It seems to show up in all of the 'magic' packs, and cutting myself while playing a video game seems needlessly aggravating as a gimmick even if I ignore the dubiousness of 'cutting myself in a video game' as a premise.

What unique thing does it do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's one of the few mods that actually integrates building into its progression and function, as opposed to the usual "advancement" of crafting a series of increasingly expensive blocks and tossing them into a room.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Cutting yourself is just the introduction, you should be cutting others (especially innocents like villagers!) and then building a ritual to auto-bleed hapless minions for their tasty blood. Named witches blocked in glass tubes are probably best since they'll automatically toss regen potions when they get low and naming them keeps them from despawning.

Anyway, check this for a good run-down of what you can do with Blood.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Mzbundifund posted:

It's one of the few mods that actually integrates building into its progression and function, as opposed to the usual "advancement" of crafting a series of increasingly expensive blocks and tossing them into a room.

This is exactly why I chose it over Thaumcraft or Botania.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

mechaet posted:

I'd like to announce Modderation: FYAD Edition as an addition to the Modderation series of modpacks.

http://technicpack.net/modpack/modderation-fyad-edition.696257

Streamlined tech and magic trees, and made it more laptop-friendly.

Server post in PGS coming soon(tm)

Awesome. Can't wait.

Is the server going to be a fresh map?

The only thing keeping me from playing Modderation right now is that my computer can only juuuuust play it.

EDIT:

SGCraft and ChickenBones wireless redstone are redundant with RFtools.

And Forestry? :bahgawd: I'd rather have buildcraft if I had to pick one of the lovely 3.

bigperm fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 18, 2015

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

bigperm posted:

Awesome. Can't wait.

The only thing keeping me from playing Modderation right now is that my computer can only juuuuust play it.

EDIT:

And Forestry? :bahgawd: I'd rather have buildcraft if I had to pick one of the lovely 3.

Honestly I would just have parts of forestry and railcraft like the farms, boilers, and giant tanks and the related parts.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I kinda like the rail parts of Railcraft

if only I didn't have to deal with actually making them

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

mechaet posted:

I'd like to announce Modderation: FYAD Edition as an addition to the Modderation series of modpacks.

http://technicpack.net/modpack/modderation-fyad-edition.696257

Streamlined tech and magic trees, and made it more laptop-friendly.

Server post in PGS coming soon(tm)

It doesn't have bloody loving TiCon :worship:

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

bigperm posted:

Awesome. Can't wait.

Fresh map.

"Latest" branch instead of the default "Recommended" branch contains fastcraft which makes it run fairly well on a laptop.

quote:

EDIT:

SGCraft makes new custom dimensions? News to me. I mostly left SGCraft in for base-to-base teleportation that doesn't look like a terrible copy of Star Trek transporters. It allows for teleportation without looking terrible doing so.

quote:

Buildcraft introduces very terribly-coded pipe systems into the pack, something I didn't even tolerate in Permabanned which had Mek pipes in it.

Also, mass-mining is the debbil.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

The selection process was prioritized in this order:

Least laggy
Most inclusive
Least redundant
Slower progression by default

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Hey, mechaet - why does that pack have Baubles? Except for, maybe, the Forge Lexicon from Thermal Expansion, I don't really see anything else in the mod list that uses it?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

what's wrong with tinker's construct :confused:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Glory of Arioch posted:

what's wrong with tinker's construct :confused:

Not a fan of bubblegum pink tools I guess.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

mechaet posted:

The selection process was prioritized in this order:

Slower progression by default

ProjectE

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

woah i had no idea this existed

who dafuq would want to use EE2 in tyool 2015, this was the worst mod in existence and ruined everything

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Black Pants posted:

Not a fan of bubblegum pink tools I guess.

They're so fashionable with the purple accents and a strong red rod to bring it all together.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

actually mandatory volcanos were good, and cool, and my friend

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Also giant unburnable trees that break to sticks. And turning one blaze rod into infinite everything.

It was pretty useful in the original FTB, but broken as gently caress otherwise.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i think we are conflating redpower and ee2 here but yeah those mods had some pretty awful features

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

on that note it looks like the redpower 2 dev is making a whole new game instead of trying to keep up with minecraft

http://www.eloraam.com/

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

It's the only mod that does what it does, and doesn't duplicate a bunch of stuff in the process. Automatic win for this round of selection.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Glory of Arioch posted:

on that note it looks like the redpower 2 dev is making a whole new game instead of trying to keep up with minecraft

Someone find the patreon that has been giving this person a lot of money with no result.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Serifina posted:

Hey, mechaet - why does that pack have Baubles? Except for, maybe, the Forge Lexicon from Thermal Expansion, I don't really see anything else in the mod list that uses it?

Mostly for the extra inventory slots.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

mechaet posted:

It's the only mod that does what it does, and doesn't duplicate a bunch of stuff in the process. Automatic win for this round of selection.

But duplicating a bunch of stuff is all the mod does! :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I have TFC questions.

What are some quality-of-life mods that improve it? I think I saw some stuff with carpenter's blocks and realized that would be nice.

Is there a quick tweak to get stairs back in? I just do not understand why they have to be made in-place with a chisel.

Is there anything I should focus on during the winter? Are there winter-specific things I should get? I am in my first one now and want to know what to look out for.

Finally, is there any way to set up crop irrigation? I see I can't drop blocks of water from buckets. I was hoping to do something better than carving plots out of river banks. Will water fill in if I dig out from a body of water? I know a 1-block-wide hole will not, but IIRC one can propagate water by tactfully digging 2-wide.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have TFC questions.

What are some quality-of-life mods that improve it? I think I saw some stuff with carpenter's blocks and realized that would be nice.

Is there a quick tweak to get stairs back in? I just do not understand why they have to be made in-place with a chisel.

Is there anything I should focus on during the winter? Are there winter-specific things I should get? I am in my first one now and want to know what to look out for.

Finally, is there any way to set up crop irrigation? I see I can't drop blocks of water from buckets. I was hoping to do something better than carving plots out of river banks. Will water fill in if I dig out from a body of water? I know a 1-block-wide hole will not, but IIRC one can propagate water by tactfully digging 2-wide.

There's a bunch of stuff in their forums: http://terrafirmacraft.com/f/forum/29-addons-applications/ . I actually kinda want to try that scales mod as one of the things I hate most in TFC is trying to cut very specific amounts of a food item to put into a barrel or clay vessel. There's also https://github.com/whelmaze/tfc-waila-plugin/releases which I have not tried.

I don't think there's a way to make stair blocks. Maybe with carpenter's blocks?

In winter, the main thing to make sure to do is to hoard water in barrels. If water around your area starts to freeze, you won't be able to get drinkable water easily. I think you MIGHT be able to break ice and get water source blocks for a little while, but it's better to be safe and get all the fresh (+salt) water you need. Most of the time it's too cold to farm, so just live off of your food stocks and explore.

Crop irrigation is something you can only really do with Red Steel buckets, which are at the end of the "tech tree." They let you move water source blocks around. Otherwise, you're stuck with what you can dig a channel with. This is why I usually set up near a flat area with fresh water, so I have lots of room for growing stuff.

Your Lottery
Apr 27, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have TFC questions.

I generally just use a map mod and maybe smartmoving. There isn't a lot that fits TFC. I would love to see a tech mod for TFC, though, with brass tubes, copper and lead pipes, wiring, steam hammers, etc. Right now once you start climbing the metal tech tiers, it is very repetitive.

I would also like to make stairs in the crafting matrix. Maybe wood ones, with a saw, and keep stone ones made in place with the chisel. I know of no solution.

For winter, make sure you have enough food stored: crops will die, water will freeze.

When you get up to red steel, you can make buckets that move water source blocks. Until then, carving out river banks and lake beaches is all you can do.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

mechaet posted:

Neither of those is actually true. EE3 is out and mostly functional and Reliquary duplicates a lot of the projecte stuff.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

bigperm posted:

Neither of those is actually true. EE3 is out and mostly functional and Reliquary duplicates a lot of the projecte stuff.

EE3 is mostly functional now? Do tell. All I can find on it is a changelog for 1.5.2, which is rather obviously not up to date.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Serifina posted:

Fair enough! I'll whip up some more. ;)

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

McFrugal posted:

EE3 is mostly functional now? Do tell. All I can find on it is a changelog for 1.5.2, which is rather obviously not up to date.

Download:

http://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods/65509-ee3
http://ee3.pahimar.com/

Source:

https://github.com/pahimar/Equivalent-Exchange-3

Reasons why development has paused for now (because holy poo poo):

http://www.pahimar.com/

tl;dr - the guy's daughter was born premature with some fairly serious issues. I would imagine Minecraft is pretty low on his priority list right now.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Glory of Arioch posted:

Whoa, loving the mid-90s ugly as gently caress warehouse game, can't wait to play it, totally looks fun, looking at a dingy poo poo warehouse with bad lighting makes me think wow that must be a fun game to play, I love it and can't wait. Hoping it has mandatory volcanoes.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Nevermind~

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Vib Rib posted:

Whoa, loving the mid-90s ugly as gently caress warehouse game, can't wait to play it, totally looks fun, looking at a dingy poo poo warehouse with bad lighting makes me think wow that must be a fun game to play, I love it and can't wait. Hoping it has mandatory volcanoes.

It's ok, it's not going to be released anyway.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Wolfsbane posted:

tl;dr - the guy's daughter was born premature with some fairly serious issues. I would imagine Minecraft is pretty low on his priority list right now.
He's still making videos with Direwolf20 every three days, so not that low I guess.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Carados posted:

He's still making videos with Direwolf20 every three days, so not that low I guess.

Videos pay the bills. It turns out that paying the bills goes up in importance when you have kids, not down.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Anias posted:

Videos pay the bills. It turns out that paying the bills goes up in importance when you have kids, not down.

So does a real job

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

So instead of a version that has active development and is full-featured, you'd rather I choose the lesser one that isn't being updated.

I appreciate your thoughts on this matter and will consider them accordingly.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I don't believe I expressed a preference. In fact I'm not even sure which modpack you're in charge of, if any. Someone asked for a more up to date version of EE3 than 1.5, and I happened to know where to find one.

I do appreciate the work you're putting into being a snarky rear end in a top hat though, so good job there at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Dunno-Lars posted:

Someone find the patreon that has been giving this person a lot of money with no result.

No, see, it is all good because after collecting money for over a year she changed the wording of her Patreon page around November 2014. She actually lost a lot of patrons (rightly so) but is still making $300 a month on the stupid thing. :psyduck:

I mean, the thing that made RP2 nice about being a MC mod was that it was a mod for minecraft so it did have a base game and many many other mods you can mix into it to make things more interesting all the time, I can't imagine a game built around her game design philosophy because she claims that it isn't going to resemble minecraft and is just based around her ideas for RP2.

Also, she needs to fire her "paid full time artist" because poo poo looks like stock public textures or something you grab off the Unity store yo.

There are generally very few mods I feel that could stand up as a stand alone game because they would have to redesign the proverbial minecraft wheel and the only mod dev that I've seen come close to that is the TFC crew and even then TFC is definitely not for everyone. I mean, could you imagine if Greg decided to make his own minecraft-like to better see the vision of his mod made? The game would be an insufferable mess.

Like the idea has been kicked around in the past, but while I think that there are plenty of great modders in the community and some truly great mods, I don't think many of them, not even a collaboration, could make a full fledged game that would be able to stand against modded minecraft. Hell, nearly every company that has set out to make a better version of vanilla minecraft has failed.

/rant