Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Ernie. posted:

i didn't say that the opinion isn't real, more like the opinion is particularly charged

the 'album format is dead' argument really holds up by what you consider 'success' is. if you define success as 'what's constantly shared on social media' or 'which resonates with artist popularity more the single or the album' then gently caress yeah it's dead. if you define it by literally any other metric it's still alive. super artists still hit sales records for albums, streaming services still see full albums played through at an unchanging constant rate, and vinyl is having a resurgence: one of the mediums that is least single-friendly. and even among the super popular artists who are contractually driven to re-affirm this bad culture of singles on the radio, few get their style through at an album length; for example florence and the machine and lady gaga and eminem and and and.

also, i find it socially/economically careless when people regurgitate this argument, because it's a top-down approach to music, where the upper crust of society, those who could afford to buy into apple's ecosystem early on, dictated what's popular; as opposed to a bottom-up approach where people dissect albums at their own leisure and then vote to get what they're interested in on a radio station's playlist

I define life by presence of homeostatis, organization, metabolism, growth, adaption, reproduction, and response to stimuli, Ernest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Christmas in July has ended in an Elf (Town) Victory) with Christmas being celebrated in perpetuity.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I define life by presence of homeostatis, organization, metabolism, growth, adaption, reproduction, and response to stimuli, Ernest.

that explains why YOU'RE DEAD TO ME!!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

i didn't say that the opinion isn't real, more like the opinion is particularly charged

the 'album format is dead' argument really holds up by what you consider 'success' is. if you define success as 'what's constantly shared on social media' or 'which resonates with artist popularity more the single or the album' then gently caress yeah it's dead. if you define it by literally any other metric it's still alive. super artists still hit sales records for albums, streaming services still see full albums played through at an unchanging constant rate, and vinyl is having a resurgence: one of the mediums that is least single-friendly. and even among the super popular artists who are contractually driven to re-affirm this bad culture of singles on the radio, few get their style through at an album length; for example florence and the machine and lady gaga and eminem and and and.

also, i find it socially/economically careless when people regurgitate this argument, because it's a top-down approach to music, where the upper crust of society, those who could afford to buy into apple's ecosystem early on, dictated what's popular; as opposed to a bottom-up approach where people dissect albums at their own leisure and then vote to get what they're interested in on a radio station's playlist

I don't think anyone is making this argument? I have nothing to say about whether albums, as a format, are dead. I've felt this way since before the internet was a thing and you would record songs you like off the radio and hope the DJ would shut the hell up over the beginning of the song.

It has absolutely nothing to do with commercial success, but what you look for in music and whether you're going to get that from one artist over the course of many songs or many songs by many artists. In my experience it's the latter. I like lots of music and lots of songs, and most of the time could not tell you who sings them because it doesn't really matter to me.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ernie. posted:

that explains why YOU'RE DEAD TO ME!!

I'm not going to reproduce with you Ernie, please stop asking!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

Capps has been lying to us about where he's been and I have proof.

was he the ref for midget wrestling?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I'm not going to reproduce with you Ernie, please stop asking!

it was your lack of 'growth' that caused our lack of 'reproduction', keane! don't play it off as anything else!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ernie. posted:

it was your lack of 'growth' that caused our lack of 'reproduction', keane! don't play it off as anything else!

WELL MAYBE IF YOU GAVE ME SOME STIMULI TO RESPOND TO

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Ernie. posted:

I was more trying to give the impression of "ugh ecco is a child who doesn't know of a time without albums" but then including albums that were popular in the early 90s so as to subtly reinforce the idea that I am a gestalt consciousness.

Ernie. posted:

where the upper crust of society, those who could afford to buy into apple's ecosystem early on, dictated what's popular

you're welcome.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

CCKeane posted:

Beck - Midnight Vultures

I love you more with every post please step inside my Hyundai

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
I think people have me on ignore :tinfoil:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Also on the subject of albums vs singles, I could easily modify my Mike Doughty choice to his recent once a week Drip.FM releases. He's done some gorgeous acoustic versions of his old songs that are perfect.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
whatever happened to which way madness? they haven't posted in a while

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
in other news, i just cut myself opening a frozen pizza box.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

was he the ref for midget wrestling?

No he's a Major League Baseball player

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Paul Simon - Graceland
Ben Folds Five - self-titled debut
Ben Folds Five - Whatever & Ever Amen
Daft Punk - Discovery
Billy Joel - The Stranger

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Magnus Gallant posted:

No he's a Major League Baseball player

Lol well I wish him well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Met posted:

Christmas in July has ended in an Elf (Town) Victory) with Christmas being celebrated in perpetuity.

Oh, and AnonymousNarcotics won a 3P Individual Win Condition as well!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 27, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Anybody got a set-up they need flavor for, or just feel like helping me come up with the mechanics for a game I've already got flavor for?

Also, hi, I'm back.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hello PMush how are you doing? how is your times and happenings? tell us stories.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:
The Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed
Lord Huron - Lonesome Dreams
The Kinks - The Muswell Hillbillies
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Alt J - An Awesome Wave

Also I really like T-Rex's Electric Warrior but I feel like T-Rex has too much good poo poo scattered across various albums to justify putting it on the list.

The Carpet Shark
Sep 2, 2014

:coolfish:

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

Ugh...

Radiohead - OK Computer
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Tool - Lateralus
Coldplay - Parachutes
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Runners up:
Neil Young - Harvest
CSNY - Deja Vu

do you have a last.fm account

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.

The Carpet Shark posted:

do you have a last.fm account

I haven't touched it in forever and ever

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

hello PMush how are you doing? how is your times and happenings? tell us stories.
Oh, I've got a hell of a story.

So, as a bit of background, I worked at McDonald's until last week. It was alright, but I was slowly getting frustrated with their refusal to promote me or pay me more than $.25 over minimum wage at part time, so I'd started looking for other work. (Well, that and that the job had been the cause of two panic attacks in the last three weeks.) That's not the point of the story, just some background.

Sunday's the General Manager's day off, so I went in on Sunday for a long-ish shift, 11 to 8 or something. I was pretty ready to quit already, since I've gotten a new job lined up and things were not getting any less stressful. But I don't want to burn a bridge I don't have to, so I'm toughing it out. Over the course of the day, we have four people missing. Three of them are just straight-up no-shows. And we're a smaller McDonald's. 4 people is like half the loving staff. We call the GM. He's insistent on not calling anyone in who'd be put over 25ish hours, because at 30, they'd have to offer them benefits. He also declines to come in himself, because it's his day off.

Right around 5 PM, one of our other managers comes in, stays for about half an hour, and then walks out because "nobody cares about getting this place clean". Keep in mind, we are down to HALF our normal (already pretty tight) staff, so yeah, things being dirty is to be expected. She was horrible to work for, anyways, nobody will miss her. We have one manager left, half the people who are still still there are supposed to be going home, and no one else is scheduled to come in until 7:30 PM. That's after dinner rush, by the way. Poor girl is reduced to tears. General Manager still won't come in.

All of us stay, of course. I work through my whole shift, until another manager comes in (half-asleep and in jeans, but by god, he comes in to help), then clock out, and immediately turn in my uniform. I don't remember quite what the note said, something like "Thank you for the work opportunity. I hope your new staff is more forgiving."

After the fact, I found out that basically everyone is quitting. :allears:

So, that's the story of how I have a week and a half off before I start my new job (a night shift at Waffle House, but it's full time with benefits, so hey!)

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blue Lips is really good, but I always associate it with this one Homestuck video, because that's how I was introduced to it a few years ago.

How's your summer vacation going, Ecco?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

This is Complete Bullshit is now open for signups. This is a closed set up game for 21 players, with quite a bit going on, to be discovered as play goes on. It should be a good time for all! If you want to play a game that's a little different, check it out.

Also, I just skipped a bunch of posts in the thread. How many?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

I do that a lot too. I wish we did the Crew / Actual-Mafia-Chat thread split this time around.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Blue Lips is a good song. My favorite Regina Spektor song, though, is Laughing With. It always makes me feel a little bad.

McDonald's is the scum of the earth, and I am happy to hear you could quit Poison Mushroom. I'm sure you will have a much better job with Waffle House.

Also, I am in Annapolis until Sunday evening and have tonight off. Trying to find something to dooooooo!

EDIT: Now that I think more, I might actually like Samson better than Laughing With. Still, both are really good songs!

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 18, 2015

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

Ugh...

Radiohead - OK Computer
Pink Floyd - Meddle
Tool - Lateralus
Coldplay - Parachutes
Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Runners up:
Neil Young - Harvest
CSNY - Deja Vu

Your list comes the closest to my tastes.

Radiohead - Ok Computer
Depeche Mode - Violator
The Smiths - Louder Than Bombs
Bjork - Post
Faith No More - Angel Dust

Runners up:
Pink Floyd - The Wall
David Bowie - Hours...
Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes
The Postal Service - Give Up

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

QuoProQuid posted:

Blue Lips is a good song. My favorite Regina Spektor song, though, is Laughing With. It always makes me feel a little bad.

McDonald's is the scum of the earth, and I am happy to hear you could quit Poison Mushroom. I'm sure you will have a much better job with Waffle House.

Also, I am in Annapolis until Sunday evening and have tonight off. Trying to find something to dooooooo!

EDIT: Now that I think more, I might actually like Samson better than Laughing With. Still, both are really good songs!
Hm. Thinking about it, I actually think my favorite Regina Spektor song is Hero. I've got an emotional tie to it that's a little hard to explain.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
there is no way I could name just 5

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Poison Mushroom posted:

Anybody got a set-up they need flavor for, or just feel like helping me come up with the mechanics for a game I've already got flavor for?

Also, hi, I'm back.

Welcome back! Also this sounds like my kind of thing.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Smiths - Meat is Murder
Destroyer - Destroyer's Rubies
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Galaxie 500 - On Fire
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

something like that maybe.

left out:
talk talk spirit of eden, jawbreaker 24 hr revenge therapy, tallest man wild hunt, yo la tengo fade, nmh aeroplane, hmm plent y of other stuff :X

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Pet Sounds is still incredible.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

Hello to posters I've never met.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Beatles-... probably Abbey Road but this keeps changing from Rubber Soul/Revolver (I treat them as a double album) to White Album to Sgt Pepper's to Abbey Road every few years or so
Sonic Youth- Daydream Nation
Arcade Fire- The Suburbs (not their best, that'd be Funeral, but this one has a huge emotional punch for me)
Mission of Burma- Vs
And then I'd want to say something like Interpol- Turn on the Bright Lights but as of 2013 or so it's more like
David Bowie- The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust through to Diamond Dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip