Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

I have hearing problems with one ear that make it very hard for me to directionally locate sounds or compare relative volumes of things from different directions even though I can hear OK from the other ear, and one of my friends who also plays a lot of roguelikes and other turn-based games is essentially completely deaf. Other people can't have sounds on for whatever reason and this applies to them too.

The closed-caption version of DoomRL made a huge difference in both of our playing ability; without it, like dis astranagant said, we're pretty much screwed. Please don't lock Qud off the same way. If it's sound effects that are tied to messages it's one thing, but if it tells you information that you can't get any other way it really does make it harder for some people to get into who normally don't have problems with that style of game.

I'm really a big proponent of accessibility, even though I don't always do everything I want to for it due to pure lack of hours, I try to think deeply about it in my designs, so no fear! (Also since the game was designed without sound, it'll probably just be flavor, not really gameplay integrated)

QQ.txt: http://steamcommunity.com/app/333640/discussions/0/541906348045336852/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Unormal posted:

I'm really a big proponent of accessibility, even though I don't always do everything I want to for it due to pure lack of hours, I try to think deeply about it in my designs, so no fear! (Also since the game was designed without sound, it'll probably just be flavor, not really gameplay integrated)

'i play a lot of roguelikes and am bad at them, please make me feel better by agreeing with my implication that im dying so much because of the simple mechanics :jerkbag:'

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Unormal posted:

That's really appreciated. DoomRL sound is pretty cool as a concept but it certainly makes it a lot harder to play without.

Also, that guy isn't wrong. It's simpler than Dwarf Fortress' adventure mode's combat from what I understand of it. (I don't think this is a negative, though. Dwarf Fortress is terrifyingly overcomplex in a lot of ways.)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Re:qudsound, I personally am of the opinion that it would do really well with a great minimalist, ambient soundtrack. The soundtrack to Paris, Texas is what I'm thinking of as an archetype here but you'd obviously want it to have a more post-future feel than straight western.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
On the one hand it sounds like he's complaining that there isn't enough hand-holding going on, while on the other he's referencing the groggiest of grognard roguelike gameplay, DF adventure mode. There is literally nothing to do there other than wander around a procedurally generated world with absolutely no direction.

I'm not saying the game doesn't need a quest overhaul, but it's not like he's lacking for direction.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
No, I mean he has a few perfectly good points, I just personally find it funny that he's complaining about 'simple systems' when he can't even use them well enough to survive the first few screens of the game. (and saying the game is bad because that's true)

Unormal fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 18, 2015

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Well I got a few thermal dets, is it still possible to melt some slate for cheap cheesy dosh?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Go forth and find out for us.

For science.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

RickVoid posted:

Go forth and find out for us.

For science.

I died; It was a classic turn of events

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'll agree with the guy who responded that 'a cave' is one of the least interesting possible intro dungeons you can have in a game.

Dungeonmans does this also, but thankfully I can just skip the cave and run to the nearby... dungeon. Ok that wasn't a great example.

I think my point is I don't like caves. Or sewers. Those too.

(Towers are good though. Towers are cool. A space elevator would be an acceptable tower substitute here, that's kinda towerish.)

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Handofluke and I are doing an AMA in 15 minutes: https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/3drjoz/rroguelikes_developer_ama_uunormal_and/

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
hm. it seems like completing the 'give argyve two knicknacks' quest while having 200' of wire in inventory makes the quest never actually complete. he just endlessly asks for more knicknacks; the conversation state doesn't progress.

I'm never going to actually see the inside of grit gate, am I.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Did you drop it and pick it up again?

E: Lore question! Since true men only come from arcologies, does that mean every single person just out in the wasteland is a mutant? Is Joemuth Watervine Farmer hiding bug arms under his burnoose?

packetmantis fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 18, 2015

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
huh, 'quit' without saving is the 'resign' button. what a weird and unintuitive phrasing

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Well what else would it be? That seems pretty intuitive to me.

I suck terribly at CoQ. I built an Esper based on a recommendation in this thread and I die basically instantly. I suck at all roguelikes but I suck the most at this one, which saddens me because I love the setting so much.

Is there a good primer on how to play CoQ somewhere?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Xir posted:

Well what else would it be? That seems pretty intuitive to me.

I suck terribly at CoQ. I built an Esper based on a recommendation in this thread and I die basically instantly. I suck at all roguelikes but I suck the most at this one, which saddens me because I love the setting so much.

Is there a good primer on how to play CoQ somewhere?

Good? Can't speak to that, but I put together a newbie guide on Steam. You can find it here.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
if you are on a screen and you cant 100% tell whats going on

press loving Alt

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Are there any major differences between the steam version of CoQ and the ASCII one? Seeing all this thread hype makes me want to give it a try.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

superstepa posted:

Are there any major differences between the steam version of CoQ and the ASCII one? Seeing all this thread hype makes me want to give it a try.

Tiles, bug fixes, and the beginnings of some new features.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also you are probably going to have a spare waterskin or whatever, fill up with some salty water in the event that you are on fire

thats also the only way I've found to survive really early on with the spontatneous combustion perk

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is the console/ASCII version going to continue to be updated, and you're just paying for tiles and other bells and whistles, or is the Steam version the only one from here on out?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is the console/ASCII version going to continue to be updated, and you're just paying for tiles and other bells and whistles, or is the Steam version the only one from here on out?

I'm not going to try to keep the free version in sync while we work towards Steam 1.0; though it'll remain available as-is. Once we get to 1.0, I think I'll see what it'll take to create a free version of the Unity version that lacks niceties like sound, music, graphics, etc.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
killed a randboss bear with tons of cider and honey :getin:

i basically just cheesed him with freezing hands

freezing hands, back up a couple, charge him, run away like a coward, rinse and repeat

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Eonwe posted:

killed a randboss bear with tons of cider and honey :getin:

i basically just cheesed him with freezing hands

freezing hands, back up a couple, charge him, run away like a coward, rinse and repeat

Freezing hands is good like that. I'd say it, carapace and amphibious are the reasons why I'll probably never actually take esper.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Prism posted:

The closed-caption version of DoomRL made a huge difference in both of our playing ability; without it, like dis astranagant said, we're pretty much screwed. Please don't lock Qud off the same way. If it's sound effects that are tied to messages it's one thing, but if it tells you information that you can't get any other way it really does make it harder for some people to get into who normally don't have problems with that style of game.

:aaa:

To clarify -- does this mean you're using the closed-caption mode of DoomRL I hacked together? Because if so you're the first people other than me to use it, I think, and this is super exciting.

Or is there some other, existing CC mode for DoomRL that I just failed to find before deciding to write my own?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

ToxicFrog posted:

:aaa:

To clarify -- does this mean you're using the closed-caption mode of DoomRL I hacked together? Because if so you're the first people other than me to use it, I think, and this is super exciting.

Or is there some other, existing CC mode for DoomRL that I just failed to find before deciding to write my own?

There was apparently an older one that is no longer supported and was really bad (it just displayed what I presume is the name of the sound files it was playing, no additional info or anything, and tended to overwrite if you heard multiple sounds at once); it helped him more than me because I can hear that much. I don't know where it came from originally; I had it on my old computer but upgraded last month.

Yours is better. I have in fact tried it, though I prefer to play DoomRL offline so I didn't use it more than a couple times, and I haven't played much DoomRL at all lately. If I could I would be using it exclusively. Is there a version of it that's downloadable?

Prism fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 19, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

dis astranagant posted:

Freezing hands is good like that. I'd say it, carapace and amphibious are the reasons why I'll probably never actually take esper.

also owns because you can basically kill equimaxes safely at a low level gaining levels really quick

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Arcsech posted:

You can get an item that helps with this: the floating glowsphere, although it's fairly expensive (~$500) and hard to find, I've had luck finding it on caravan merchants not too far from Joppa.

But until you can get something like that, you're right.

Also there's a guaranteed miner's helmet, ie head-slot torch, somewhere in the tunnel between Red Rock and Joppa.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Also there's a guaranteed miner's helmet, ie head-slot torch, somewhere in the tunnel between Red Rock and Joppa.

there's a tunnel between Red Rock and Joppa? where?

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Stop spoilering poo poo that's been posted in this thread whenever coqtalk has been the topic for the last X years.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

there's a tunnel between Red Rock and Joppa? where?

Search the pools of water around town after taking the quest. You also stumble upon them 4 or 5 floors deep in Red Rock. You'll be underground for a very long time since every tile on the world map is a 3x3 square of regular maps.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This is kind of off the beaten path for the thread, but it came up in the Qud AMA that you're working on a bit more gender equality in the mutated wasteland - thanks for doing that. True Kin et al. It's small, but it bugs the poo poo out of me in a lot of places. Ask me about having every instance of 'her' changed to 'him' in published work.

Roguelikes are generally pretty egalitarian anyway, since they hate every race and gender equally and want them all dead :v:

And that's my budget-sjw work for the day, carry on.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Search the pools of water around town after taking the quest. You also stumble upon them 4 or 5 floors deep in Red Rock. You'll be underground for a very long time since every tile on the world map is a 3x3 square of regular maps.

Each map square is actually a total of 9 local maps?

That's good to know, I've only been exploring about 1/9 of the total map area in any given map square. Huh.

When you enter a map square from the overworld map, does it drop you dead center of the 3x3 square?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RickVoid posted:

Each map square is actually a total of 9 local maps?

That's good to know, I've only been exploring about 1/9 of the total map area in any given map square. Huh.

When you enter a map square from the overworld map, does it drop you dead center of the 3x3 square?

Yep. A decent idea starting out is to explore the square north of Joppa. If you get in over your head sprint back to town and let the farmers deal with your problem.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
If people legitimately want a safe start go to the marshes south of Joppa and kill giant dragonflies, glowfish, and crocodiles. You can gain a level or two doing this easily enough and theres next to no risk.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
Got a vibro-blade! Killed by fire ants. Progress!

Beguile is a really good way to turn mutation points into combat viability without much investment of skill points or Ego. Not so much for an actual straight Esper build, because they have more important things to do with mutation points and are probably Apostles so they can get the same results by proselytizing a farmer, but I've been trying out Tinker and a relatively successful one (relatively because honestly it's not like I ever get all that far in an absolute sense) is 16 Ego, 24 Int, 18 Agi/Tough and Psychometry + Beguile. Tinkering seems to be super hungry for skill points with payoffs that take a while and starting skills that don't do much to keep you alive, and beguiling something relatively beefy goes a long way to covering that. Or maybe I'm playing Tinker 100% wrong, this is also very possible.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

If Mehmet dies is there any other way into the mq?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Benly posted:

Got a vibro-blade! Killed by fire ants. Progress!

Beguile is a really good way to turn mutation points into combat viability without much investment of skill points or Ego. Not so much for an actual straight Esper build, because they have more important things to do with mutation points and are probably Apostles so they can get the same results by proselytizing a farmer, but I've been trying out Tinker and a relatively successful one (relatively because honestly it's not like I ever get all that far in an absolute sense) is 16 Ego, 24 Int, 18 Agi/Tough and Psychometry + Beguile. Tinkering seems to be super hungry for skill points with payoffs that take a while and starting skills that don't do much to keep you alive, and beguiling something relatively beefy goes a long way to covering that. Or maybe I'm playing Tinker 100% wrong, this is also very possible.

Tinkering isn't as bad as it looks, mostly because the upper tiers are barren and you don't REALLY need master disassemble unless you're handling the stupid rare stuff for tinkering 2 and tinkering 3. As soon as you get a flamer, carbine and eigenrifle (needs tinkering 2 but it shows up in Grit Gate/Kyakukya/travelling shops and ruins reasonably often) you'll only be making grenades and chem cells. Splash it in a ranged build or maybe earlyish in a dagger one (gaslight flyssa or vibroblade main hand, the meanest dagger you can find offhand so you don't have to pump str)

Beguile is neat but it overlaps one of the few good skills, proselytize, which you're probably going start with if you're building around mental mutations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fuligin posted:

If Mehmet dies is there any other way into the mq?

Mehmet has nothing to do with the main quest. You want Argyve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Equimax herds no longer aggro when you start killing one of them? That seems a little broken.