Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Sober posted:

TotalBiscuit will soon be issuing a statement saying, "I didn't make them do it"

This is how the world ends, not a bang, but a Toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Of course not, he's the real victim here *prepares Soundcloud rant*
Wait, so he puts his rants on soundcloud so it doesn't poo poo up his own Youtube Channel?

Hey, at least TB knows how to not poo poo up something.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The problem is that he still hasn't learnt that maybe it's a symptom of something wrong with him.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Mmmmm, personal treats and total biscuits. Sounds delicious.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:downsbravo:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

:wtc: hes adding Genre to be more "objective"

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sure someone pointed it out but technically by the mechanics of the system they're actually recommending all these games. I wonder what the critical mass is where Valve eventually goes "Alright fuckos, why does your group recommend literally every game on Steam?"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Vlaada Chvatil posted:

I am very disappointed to hear that! Is the RNG a problem that can at all be mitigated, or is success/failure always subject to that sort of problem?

Not really.

The issue was a crux of multiple issues that all tied into each other. You had to watch far too many bars, and the bars had far too much influence on each other. The RNG just made the problem worse, as you could literally do everything perfectly, but it wouldn't matter as the bars were against you from the start. When you add in that it had no checkpointing, and each of these events was usually over an hour long, and failure became this really annoying thing you didn't want to experience at all.

It made the game completely unfun, and a total chore to play. You could spend the entire first attempt at an event trying to figure it out, only to figure it out too late to actually save the run. But you couldn't put any of that knowledge into play in a second attempt, because the RNG would change the values on how things handled/when people did things/how things worked out. And at any point if you hosed up for even a second, it'd send the entire event into a death spiral you had no ways of getting yourself out of.

To make matters worse, the story/setting was completely squandered. It starts out fairly interesting, and the game was originally sold on the premise of you having to make "hard judgement calls on a minutes notice", but the way it ends is super pointless/annoying. You have 4-5 events of varying "hard judgement calls", 2-3 that seem completely out of place, and then it ends on a 4+ hour long survival event on a death world where you basically play a browser flash survival game with instant death events that can pop up at any time. And if at any point you do die, you are back to the start of the entire 4 hour sequence. Your reward for doing this is a monologue by the main character about how maybe terrorists can have good causes sometimes.

The removal of the RNG only made it so when you do your second attempt you'll know what you need to do to win it, but you will still have to trial and error every event to figure out what it wants. And again, the actual events are basically browser flash game style grinding events, where they realized they don't have the skill to make an actual compelling long game, so instead they just made it so you need to grind events/replay everything with trial and error to figure out what it wants.

If you can get it for $1, the first event is kind of fun. After that, ehhhhhh.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Asshat posted:

Adding genre information
JULY 18 - TOTALBISCUIT
I've read a great deal of feedback and criticism of the initiative over the last few days. The majority of it is easily dismissed as hyperbole, misguided or just flat out incorrect, but there was one thing that got me thinking.

So we set up this group to be purely objective. Briefly at the beginning I listed a few games with which I said "look I think this is ok at 30fps because of the genre" but I quickly realised this was worthless information because everyones tolerance of framerate is going to be different, so I switched to providing purely objective information. However, some people correctly stated that some games are affected more by a 30fps lock than others, which is true, but how can we communicate that while simultaneously remaining objective? The answer I think is to include genre information in the recommendations. This remains purely objective but it also allows customers to better gauge how a 30fps lock will affect them.

An example. Toukiden Kowami is a 3rd person action game, the 30fps lock is very noticeable and absolutely has a negative impact on the gameplay. Guild of Dungeoneering is a card game which is purely mouse-driven. The 30fps lock has a much smaller impact on the gameplay as a result. By listing genres on the recommendations, we allow customers to judge for themselves whether or not a game is worth trying regardless of its framerate lock, based on their own personal preferences. Are you the sort of person that only cares when it's a first person shooter? No problem, the recommendation will tell you what the genre is. Are you the sort of person that will not buy a 30fps game under any circumstances? Well the genre information is there if you want to see it but it doesn't affect your ability to avoid 30fps games at all.

This additional infomation serves to empower the customer to make good decisions and judge for themselves whether or not they want to make a purchase, based on how much 30fps bothers them in types of games. It also I would hope goes some way to further reinforcing the idea that this is not a blacklist, nor is it a shamelist, it is an objective piece of information to help Steam users make better decisions.

Hes doubling down.

Orv
May 4, 2011
"The initiative"

:commissar:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Mummy can I play the funny mickey jump game?"
"Wow what a 30fps locked basic bitch I'm raising."

:downsbravo:

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 19, 2015

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well the current generation of "PC Master Race" followers that lap up whatever TB pisses out aren't really capable of critical thought anyway. So if anything, they're not exactly master race material if there was one.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I really hope i, too, can turn my boring, stupid bullshit into a successful career as a bigshot video game personality someday.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Freak Futanari posted:

I really hope i, too, can turn my boring, stupid bullshit into a successful career as a bigshot video game personality someday.

Someday the rest of the world will appreciate anime butts like you do.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Freak Futanari posted:

How's #19 most popular curator working ou... oh..

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wolfenstein TNO question - does the choice at the end of chapter 1 affect the game, IE, do I need to replay the game once I beat it to see a different story, or does it stay the same with a different commentator?

you bawbag

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tithin posted:

Wolfenstein TNO question - does the choice at the end of chapter 1 affect the game, IE, do I need to replay the game once I beat it to see a different story, or does it stay the same with a different commentator?

you bawbag

It's mostly the same game either way, but with a couple of minor plot beats changed, plus you get a different secret-unlocking ability each time.

NG+ lets you take all your fancy teched up weapons and skills back to the start, so it's a good excuse to replay.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Freak Futanari posted:

You're doing really well as a curator aren't you? Just make some youtube videos filled with anime butts and you'll be second to TB in no time.

On the other hand, youtube videos full of anime butts might attract the very audience you're making fun of in the first place, so....

Sober posted:

Well the current generation of "PC Master Race" followers that lap up whatever TB pisses out aren't really capable of critical thought anyway. So if anything, they're not exactly master race material if there was one.
Redditor keyboard warriors unironically using an ironic term coined by Yahtzee aren't the brightest bunch? Huh.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:downsbravo::downsbravo::downsbravo:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dominic White posted:

It's mostly the same game either way, but with a couple of minor plot beats changed, plus you get a different secret-unlocking ability each time.

NG+ lets you take all your fancy teched up weapons and skills back to the start, so it's a good excuse to replay.

Mind elaborating on "the secret" ? Do I need to beat the game twice in order to get a true ending or something?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

You're doing really well as a curator aren't you? Just make some youtube videos filled with anime butts and you'll be second to TB in no time.

On the other hand, youtube videos full of anime butts might attract the very audience you're making fun of in the first place, so....
Well, there are people who actually don't get the point of the Waifu Hunter curator group, so... :v:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

tithin posted:

Mind elaborating on "the secret" ? Do I need to beat the game twice in order to get a true ending or something?

As in each time you get a different ability which lets you get to a different set of secret areas. So you'll be finding slightly different loot each time round if you're exploring.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, I mean yeah the difference between 30fps and 60fps in action games is very obvious but I can't imagine not playing one of those games just because it was 30fps, let alone care for the vast majority of games where it is totally irrelevant

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Can we just nuke curators now

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gentlemen: I admit categorizing every game on Steam that is 30 fps is something a crazy person would do because the number of games negatively impacted is relatively low. But would a crazy person also add the fact of the genre to that original categorization to let the people decide what negatively impacts what?

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
It's nice that TB is willing to bend over backwards to help the segment of the gaming population that can't comprehend opinions or subjectivity. He's doing good work by helping the less fortunate.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
The Steam app was updated and it looks different now :O

Freak Futanari posted:

Your first step is to create a YouTube channel where you publish half hour long reviewsfirst impressions about anime games. "WTB (What The Butt) is Huniepop", for example. Bonus: Add a complaint into every video about how the "FoB" (Field of Butts) is too low.

How can you even tell that it is "locked"? Because Fraps doesn't go over 30? Who would care to even test that in the first place?

saucerman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 19, 2015

kater
Nov 16, 2010

St Peter at the pearly gates will ask, so what did you do?

'I let them know.'

Orv
May 4, 2011
Anyone who complains about the framerate of anything older than a decade should just find themselves in space. In that specific way anyway, you can't expect 60FPS out of the N64 or something.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I want to buy Alien: Isolation, but I am also a huge baby when it comes to actual horror games as opposed to action horror games.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

You know what would be a good curator, a curator for games that don't reach 30fps. 30fps is fine and functional, 60fps a nice bonus.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I want to buy Alien: Isolation, but I am also a huge baby when it comes to actual horror games as opposed to action horror games.

I would then recommend the excellent subbed LP going on right now. Isolation will absolutely 100% gently caress you up if you are the kind of person who can psych themselves out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Someone should do a Framerate Cops curation page and list all the movies on steam

LOCKED AT 24FPS

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Orv posted:

Anyone who complains about the framerate of anything older than a decade should just find themselves in space. In that specific way anyway, you can't expect 60FPS out of the N64 or something.
TB's next move is to kickstart a time machine so he can go back and warn everyone about locked framerates and enforce the rule that every video game ever must run unlocked framerates.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm going to start a group called "Is it a game?"
Each comment will simply state "Yes."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Gonna get a lot of comments when you get to Gone Home regardless of your answer

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

What would you even gain from telling people that a 20 year old point & click adventure doesn't run at 60fps? It's probably older than most of his loving fans.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

FirstAidKite posted:

Gonna get a lot of comments when you get to Gone Home regardless of your answer

:golfclap:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I'm a huge baby with any games that aren't even really horror games but feature enemies bursting through walls suddenly or things of that nature.

Alien Isolation reawakened long dormant fears of the alien when I first saw the original movie years ago, it's probably the most terrifying game I have ever and will ever play. :smith:
It's Amnesia x100.

Buy it, it's amazing.
Hope you have a good therapist and don't have any heart problems though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Infinitum posted:

Except for Gone Home's.

edit: gently caress me I'm always late to the party. :sigh:
I swear, it's like I'm running 15 fps.