Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Pointero posted:

Ugh, I feel so lost...
For the past 3.5 years I've had a company cell phone. Now I'm switching companies and they don't provide a phone so I'm looking into getting my own service again.

Work in IT, need a lot of data for doing IT thangs (my current phone says I've used 13GB this cycle). Use hotspot mode occasionally.
I don't talk at all, except for when I do. Basically I never use voice unless I'm on a Cisco TAC or VMware support call, sometimes these last like 10 continuous hours.

So from looking around, it looks like the T-mo $80 unlimited talk/data plan is what I need (yes I realize it has a 20GB cap or something, I can deal with that). I've based this on looking at every other carrier websites and seeing that they all now charge $$$ for 5GB plans now? Or did I miss something there?

I want Android but don't want any manufacturer hacked-in glitchy bullshit on it, so should probably stick with the latest Nexus.

But, what happened to paying like $200 for the phone and being on a 2 year contract? I was fine with that. Now it looks like my options are A: Add $30 to my monthly bill or B: Buy the phone outright on ebay or something for like $500 used. Is this all we can do now? I remember the last time I had my own service I was paying like $75 a month and getting a new iphone every 18 months for $200. What happened?

Sorry if this post just seems like I'm whining, but it feels like I stepped out of a time warp to an alternate cellular universe or something. This there a Good Thing here that I'm missing?

Yeah, two year contracts are gone in the U.S. I think you are remembering the rates wrong though, T-Mobile plans definitely went down when they went to non contract status. So what I would tell you is that from the time you were on your company phone cell plans went up to pay for expensive contracts, then back down because phones went to no contract outright purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Jose Pointero posted:

This there a Good Thing here that I'm missing?

The cost of your subsidized phone used to be bundled into the amount you paid every month, but it was done in an opaque way, and made it so you would still be paying for a device subsidy even if you did something like buy a used phone and activate it on your plan. Now the costs of buying a new phone are transparent. You can see that your iPhone never actually cost you $200, it cost you $200 up front plus some extra amount per month. Now you have the option to not buy a new phone and have a lower monthly payment!

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Aug 28, 2019

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Jose Pointero posted:

Blegh. Well thanks for the info. It still seems like it was cheaper back then though, I think I had an AT&T plan that was $70-80 and I never worried about data. Now it seems everyone is charging considerably more for tiered data plans and tacking on extra for the phone.

Oh well, I guess I'll just get a used Nexus on amazon or something and hope it isn't a lemon, then do the 'bring your own phone' option.

Everyone will have their opinion, but this seems like a pretty good deal to me:

http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/7982077

Also check out cricket, which is cheap and runs on AT&t's network.

Edit:just reread and saw 13gb data. That's 100% on mobile, or mobile/wifi shared?

clockworx fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 18, 2015

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Jose Pointero posted:

Blegh. Well thanks for the info. It still seems like it was cheaper back then though, I think I had an AT&T plan that was $70-80 and I never worried about data. Now it seems everyone is charging considerably more for tiered data plans and tacking on extra for the phone.

Oh well, I guess I'll just get a used Nexus on amazon or something and hope it isn't a lemon, then do the 'bring your own phone' option.

I think the biggest change is that now you're financing the full price of the phone where before you were only financing $450 essentially. Remember that on most carriers it was the same price whether you were on contract or off contract. The price for data has also definitely gone up, but that's more because texting and minutes are now unlimited where they used to be the cash cow.

I just recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and I will be paying more but I was going to be paying more to Verizon if I got new phones as I was on an old grandfathered plan with unlimited data. It seems to me the "on contract/financing" price of everyone has gone up but after that the pricing goes down.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

clockworx posted:

Everyone will have their opinion, but this seems like a pretty good deal to me:

http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/t/7982077

Also check out cricket, which is cheap and runs on AT&t's network.

Edit:just reread and saw 13gb data. That's 100% on mobile, or mobile/wifi shared?

Alternately, if you're willing to pay more, there's the 2014 Moto X. You can get it new from Motorola's website for $350 before a $50 rebate you can get after a month. Motorola is the closest you'll get to a nexus experience that isn't a nexus. It's going to be one generation old in a few months, but so will a Nexus 6.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 28, 2019

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
I bought the idol 3 about a week ahead of actually switching. Thus thing is a beauty, Jesus. Can't believe this was only $225.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jose Pointero posted:

But do these Moto X's get the latest updates? My main gripe with any phone is I want to stay on the latest version supported by the hardware.

I'm not sure about turnaround time, but both have it now. I think the 2014 was much quicker to get it, but I could be wrong. I have an LG, because the new Moto Xes for T-Mobile were out of my <$220 price range.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 28, 2019

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Pointero posted:

Yeah that makes sense I guess, I think the outright price was usually $400 or something back then. And now the phones are more expensive.
Other than the Moto X and Nexus lines, I can't think of any phone that was around $400 retail price that was worth getting.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm not sure about turnaround time, but both have it now. I think the 2014 was much quicker to get it, but I could be wrong. I have an LG, because the new Moto Xes for T-Mobile were out of my <$220 price range.

FYI, Verizon Moto X 2014 in like new condition has been $200 on eBay. Should work almost perfectly on either T-Mobile or AT&T, think it's only missing one minor T-Mobile band, for example. I just got one and it is 100% like new, perfect condition. http://slickdeals.net/f/7980321-motorola-moto-x-2nd-gen-xt1096-verizon-gsm-unlocked-refurbished-199-99

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 28, 2019

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Jose Pointero posted:

I thinking of spending a bit more to get one of the phones that support LTE band 12 since we have it in my area, currently the Nexus and the Note 4 are at the top of the list, and after reading reviews I'm leaning toward the Note even though the software has been Samsung'ed.

Jumping in here in support of the Nexus 6. I hate a Note II and was fed up with Samsung's poo poo software, so I went Nexus and it's incredibly good.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The Nexus 6 is like the opposite of a crappy camera. It's a positive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Luceo posted:

Jumping in here in support of the Nexus 6. I hate a Note II and was fed up with Samsung's poo poo software, so I went Nexus and it's incredibly good.

Yeah, I'm coming from a Note II and a long string of HTC poo poo before that, and the Nexus 6 camera easily bests all of that. My wife's iPhone 5S camera might be better but not by much.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

god this blows posted:

I think the biggest change is that now you're financing the full price of the phone where before you were only financing $450 essentially. Remember that on most carriers it was the same price whether you were on contract or off contract. The price for data has also definitely gone up, but that's more because texting and minutes are now unlimited where they used to be the cash cow.

I just recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and I will be paying more but I was going to be paying more to Verizon if I got new phones as I was on an old grandfathered plan with unlimited data. It seems to me the "on contract/financing" price of everyone has gone up but after that the pricing goes down.

The problem that is causing the disconnect for a lot of people is that most carriers didn't lower prices when doing this. They kept plans roughly the same price they always were and then on top of that force you to buy your own phone/payment plan. So people initially think they're getting screwed, which they are, but for different reasons.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 19, 2015

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

The problem that is causing the disconnect for a lot of people is that most carriers didn't lower prices when doing this. They kept plans roughly the same price they always were and then on top of that force you to buy your own phone/payment plan. So people initially think they're getting screwed, which they are, but for different reasons.

Its the main reason I left Verizon. My bill was going to increase regardless of what I did when I got new phones. The one thing I didn't think of is that I paid $299 for the phone to start with so that helps make the monthly price lower.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Hmm. I've been billing Google Play Music All Access to my carrier for over a year now. As of midnight, Google's telling me that the carrier billing has been declined. I'm not in arrears on my bills or anything. The gently caress could be happening?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I have the two lines $100 unlimited plan. Just out of curiousity, how does WiFi calling work when abroad? Does it just cut into my minutes? Im not charged roaming right?

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Is anyone else pissed off by the incredibly low domestic data roaming caps? When I'm on vacation in an area where I'm roaming on AT&T, I hit the 50MB limit almost immediately. (At least my cap is up to 100MB now that I'm on the 10GB family plan. Great.)

Is there any clever way around this? Or do I just need to learn to turn cellular data off when roaming?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

They didn't lower it at first, but later both Verizon and ATT switched it up and offered a somewhat lower plan for buying phones outright (mileage may vary).

Lord knows they still don't make it easy to understand and they def don't offer lower plans on old unlimited plans.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

ryangs posted:

Is anyone else pissed off by the incredibly low domestic data roaming caps? When I'm on vacation in an area where I'm roaming on AT&T, I hit the 50MB limit almost immediately. (At least my cap is up to 100MB now that I'm on the 10GB family plan. Great.)

Is there any clever way around this? Or do I just need to learn to turn cellular data off when roaming?

This this this!

Like, I know it must cost them some money. But I can go to Canada with unlimited talk, text, and LTE? But I can't go to upstate New York without hitting the cap after a day?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

ryangs posted:

The problem is that until last year, IIRC, there were no regulations specifying what were valid rates for carriers to charge competitors for domestic data roaming so AT&T was seriously ripping them off. T-Mobile actually forced the FCC to make rules regarding that (for example now it can't be too far out of line from what they charge MVNOs and foreign operators) but I don't know if T-Mobile had been able to negotiate a new roaming deal with AT&T under those rules.

The only thing you can do about it in the short term is to get an AT&T prepaid MVNO SIM if you're planning to go to an area you know doesn't have T-Mobile coverage.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ryangs posted:

Yep. It's the reason I bailed on 3 lines after 6 short days. The store told me "It's really unlimited even roaming!" I knew better but tested the theory. Went back to the same store and they then clarified. Ok. Anything to get the sale, right bro? Canceled right in the spot.

Nope. Back to ATT. LTE everywhere. Works for me.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!

Mr.Radar posted:

The only thing you can do about it in the short term is to get an AT&T prepaid MVNO SIM if you're planning to go to an area you know doesn't have T-Mobile coverage.

I've actually been using it as a way to force me not to fiddle with my phone on vacation. For now, I think I'll stick to leaving cellular data off and only turning it on only when I really need to use it (maps, directions, etc).

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Jose Pointero posted:

I recall seeing that you can check detailed cellular info by punching something in on the dial pad, but it's not turning up on google, anyone know the code? I want to see if I'm getting on the 700Mhz band or not.

LTE Discovery in the play store will show you.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 28, 2019

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Reported today that Apple Music streaming is now included in T-Mobile's Music Freedom.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

nickutz posted:

Reported today that Apple Music streaming is now included in T-Mobile's Music Freedom.

Is this starting now? If so, I may be getting some kind of gift from the cellular gods, because I've downloaded probably 60GB from Apple Music in the past two weeks over LTE and none of it counted against my data cap. I'm on the $30 prepaid nerd plan.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Monday_ posted:

Is this starting now? If so, I may be getting some kind of gift from the cellular gods, because I've downloaded probably 60GB from Apple Music in the past two weeks over LTE and none of it counted against my data cap. I'm on the $30 prepaid nerd plan.

Same. Been using lots of Apple Music the last month and my data usage hasn't moved much. It was the same for me when I was using Beats tho.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Perhaps they had a testing phase to confirm they had it right before announcing it.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So work is going to be getting me a cell phone that I can also use as a personal device.

What is the procedure for me to give back a Jump plan cell phone? Do I owe the remaining balance on the device when I give it back?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Wicaeed posted:

So work is going to be getting me a cell phone that I can also use as a personal device.

What is the procedure for me to give back a Jump plan cell phone? Do I owe the remaining balance on the device when I give it back?

You pay off the phone and its yours. You cant turn it in.

"Thank you for reaching out to us. The information provided is absolutely correct, if you were to cancel the unpaid balance of the phones would be due on the final bill."

https://support.t-mobile.com/message/414511

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Seems like my question was just answered above but I'll ask anyways.

I have the regular Galaxy S6 that I got through T-Mo with Jump. Coming off yesterday's new Moto X announcement I'm more interested in ditching the S6 and buying the X in September. Doing so will drop my plan cost ($115 currently to the new price of $79 with Jump + S6 removed). However I was told through T-Mo support that I can't return the S6 at all, so I assume I have to continue paying it off correct? Is there no way to return it even if I'm staying within T-Mobile? I noticed that in that support thread posted above the guy asking was planning on leaving T-Mo.

Worst case I probably will just have to pay off the S6 and then I can sell it once I own it right? I can't go ahead and do that now? I'm just really confused :smith:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Skeezy posted:

Seems like my question was just answered above but I'll ask anyways.

I have the regular Galaxy S6 that I got through T-Mo with Jump. Coming off yesterday's new Moto X announcement I'm more interested in ditching the S6 and buying the X in September. Doing so will drop my plan cost ($115 currently to the new price of $79 with Jump + S6 removed). However I was told through T-Mo support that I can't return the S6 at all, so I assume I have to continue paying it off correct? Is there no way to return it even if I'm staying within T-Mobile? I noticed that in that support thread posted above the guy asking was planning on leaving T-Mo.

Worst case I probably will just have to pay off the S6 and then I can sell it once I own it right? I can't go ahead and do that now? I'm just really confused :smith:

You buy the phone when you do jump. You arn't renting it. If you want off jump you have to pay off the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

You buy the phone when you do jump. You arn't renting it. If you want off jump you have to pay off the phone.

Oh okay that makes sense then. Alright then I'll live. Thanks a bunch.