Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Maneki Neko posted:

Ha, we got an email from a guy in india with a bunch of certs (I don't think he was CCIE, maybe just CCNP) looking for freelance work. His rate? $10/hour.
Mills aside, if that rate doesn't make you sad, you're not a great person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm also so happy to see them talking about Wardriving and, *gasp*, Warchalking! Everybody batten down your access points, here come those nerds with their laptops and buckets of chalk!

Don't get mixed up with hobo signs, which were (are?) a real thing.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Don't get mixed up with hobo signs, which were (are?) a real thing.

I don't know if this mark means there is an open access point or that there is a nice widow woman who places delicious pies on her windowsill, so an old chunk of coal like me can have a meal from time to time.

Cactus Jack fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jul 18, 2015

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
You ain't a killer, you still learnin' how to walk
From New York to Cali all the real niggas carry chalk

That's warchalking

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Now that cars have hotspots does trying to connect to 2015 CRUZE in the parking lot count as war driving???

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I received the books for getting my CCNA / MCSA. The mailman was not happy. These things are huge.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Sec+ certified. It really is that easy. Simulations at the very beginning were a little daunting, but once I got through them it was all smooth sailing. Onto CCNA after a week or two of no studying.

Not super concerned but CompTIA's site is still showing my A+ and Net+ as about to expire on July 20 (I kinda waited until the last minute). I'm sure everything will go through fine as far as my Sec+ pass refreshing them, but it'd be nice to see.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

KillHour posted:

I had to look that up. That's loving stupid.
One of the things I like about the Mike Meyer's All in One books which I've been using as my main study guides is they're full of jabs at some of the dumb stuff on the objectives. "Why CompTIA felt the need to list it on their objectives? We'll never know!"

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Not super concerned but CompTIA's site is still showing my A+ and Net+ as about to expire on July 20 (I kinda waited until the last minute). I'm sure everything will go through fine as far as my Sec+ pass refreshing them, but it'd be nice to see.

Congrats! I think I'm going to put the CCNA security on hold and pick up the S+ real quick to help on resumes.

Have you paid your renewal fees for the N+ and A+? In addition to the continued education credits you need to pay $50 a year each to keep them active

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Have you paid your renewal fees for the N+ and A+? In addition to the continued education credits you need to pay $50 a year each to keep them active
Pretty sure that's not right... retaking either your highest-level certification, or taking the next-level certification (in my case, Sec+) is supposed to renew all of your existing certifications. No extra fee required.

Retaking your highest-level cert/earning new certifications is an alternative way to refresh, separate from the continuing education program they have going. I think the $50 thing you're mentioning is if you go the CE route to renew them.

quote:

Renew with a higher level CompTIA certification
Earning a higher level CompTIA certification will automatically renew your existing, lower level CompTIA certification(s). If you have multiple CompTIA certifications, you may maintain all of your CompTIA certifications by renewing only your highest level CompTIA certification.
https://certification.comptia.org/stayCertified/how-to-renew.aspx

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Pretty sure that's not right... retaking either your highest-level certification, or taking the next-level certification (in my case, Sec+) is supposed to renew all of your existing certifications. No extra fee required.

Retaking your highest-level cert/earning new certifications is an alternative way to refresh, separate from the continuing education program they have going. I think the $50 thing you're mentioning is if you go the CE route to renew them.

https://certification.comptia.org/stayCertified/how-to-renew.aspx

https://certification.comptia.org/stayCertified/renewing-multiple-certifications

It does look like it is part of the CE program.
What do you expect to get out of having a Security+ cert, and is A+/Net+ required for your current position?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Contingency posted:

https://certification.comptia.org/stayCertified/renewing-multiple-certifications

It does look like it is part of the CE program.
What do you expect to get out of having a Security+ cert, and is A+/Net+ required for your current position?

I got Sec+ to round out my resume. The date in which I took the exam coincided well with the expiration date of my previous 2 CompTIA exams. I'm past the point in my career in which either of the previous two contribute much of anything to my resume, so I'm not that concerned about them if they expire, but they won't. When I took Net+ a while back, it refreshed the A+ cert to match the same expiration date as the Net+.

CompTIA posted:

You have three options to renew your certification:

Pass the most current version of the exam for your respective existing certification
Earn a qualifying higher-level CompTIA certification or other industry certification
Complete continuing education (CE) activities and earn a sufficient number of Continuing Education Units (CEUs)

Three options, with my passing Sec+ fulfilling option 2.

I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative... I'm just, well, sure that this is how it works and kinda surprised to see people saying differently. :shrug: Not really a big issue but it might be relevant for others in the future.

Will certainly report back if I discover that they've expired in a few days, once the pass shows up on my CompTIA profile.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 19, 2015

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

I got Sec+ to round out my resume. The date in which I took the exam coincided well with the expiration date of my previous 2 CompTIA exams. I'm past the point in my career in which either of the previous two contribute much of anything to my resume, so I'm not that concerned about them if they expire, but they won't. When I took Net+ a while back, it refreshed the A+ cert to match the same expiration date as the Net+.

Three options, with my passing Sec+ fulfilling option 2.

I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative... I'm just, well, sure that this is how it works and kinda surprised to see people saying differently. :shrug: Not really a big issue but it might be relevant for others in the future.

Will certainly report back if I discover that they've expired in a few days, once the pass shows up on my CompTIA profile.

Alright--as someone with a Sec+, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not pursuing a DoD job, but it looks like you're taking it just to have it. I wouldn't recommend spending money to renew A+ or Net+ to anyone already in an IT job either.

I went back and checked. The method I was linked was "if you have certs A, B, and C, you can take C to renew them all as long as C is above A and B and you give us money (CE program participation)." In your case though, it sounds like Sec+ is a new cert, and as a higher level cert, it will renew your others. When it comes time to renew A+/Net+/Sec+, you'll either have to pass Storage+ or CASP, or participate in the CE program.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Contingency posted:

Alright--as someone with a Sec+, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone not pursuing a DoD job, but it looks like you're taking it just to have it. I wouldn't recommend spending money to renew A+ or Net+ to anyone already in an IT job either.

I went back and checked. The method I was linked was "if you have certs A, B, and C, you can take C to renew them all as long as C is above A and B and you give us money (CE program participation)." In your case though, it sounds like Sec+ is a new cert, and as a higher level cert, it will renew your others. When it comes time to renew A+/Net+/Sec+, you'll either have to pass Storage+ or CASP, or participate in the CE program.

I am interested in working in infosec in the future; not necessarily DoD though. It's a decent, surface-level overview of the field, I think. And my employer pays for certs so all I had to invest in it was the time.

And yeah - this will likely be my last CompTIA cert. I have no interest in Storage+, the thought of studying for that almost makes me shudder.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Studying for ICND1 with Odom, CBT Nuggets, and some GNS3. Been studying for a few weeks, took the practice test, and got about 150 below passing :smith:

Guess I'm really gonna have to brush up on my NATing and subnetting

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

beepsandboops posted:

ICND1 subnetting

If you can't subnet quickly the actual exam is going to be pretty brutal.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Caved in and got both Packet Tracer AND GNS3.

So... anyone know of any good lab exercise books/sites?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Race Realists posted:

Caved in and got both Packet Tracer AND GNS3.

So... anyone know of any good lab exercise books/sites?

For which test?

For CCNA, configure three routers with eigrp, three switches with spanning tree customized so the one closest to the router is the root, mix six hosts on 4 vlans, pick one router to do nat and throw another router on the 'outside'. Then configure whatever acl rules you feel like.

Do this until you can get it configured from memory and you should be good as far as labs go

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What kind of setup would I need to start doing independent work toward an MCSA in my home lab? I've got a 3.2Ghz quad-core Xeon with 20gigs of ram, plenty of HD space and access to Server 2012R2 Datacenter through Dreamspark. Would I be looking at 3-4 separate VMs or would it need to be more elaborate? Also, can I run it on top of ESXi or do I need to install it bare-metal for Hyper-V to work properly?

edit: I also have a laptop that I can use as an end-user terminal to test group policy changes and whatnot.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 19, 2015

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Thread posted:

Subnetting discussion....

I'm going to post the method my professor taught me a long time ago. If the spacing is off, just put this into a spreadsheet/table to make it easier. Hopefully it helps someone.

code:
128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255
128  64 32  16   8   4   2   1
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
 7   6   5   4   3   2   1   0
Row 1: Decimal values for subnet mask
Row 2: Powers of 2 in ascending order from right-to-left (binary column value)
Row 3: Bits borrowed (X)
Row 4: Bits remaining (Y)

2^X = Number of subnets created (subtract 2 from total if asking for “usable” subnets).

2^Y = Number of hosts per subnet (subtract 2 from total if asking for “usable” hosts).

If you take the corresponding column value in row 1 from wherever you landed in row 3 when you first borrowed the bits, you can subtract 256 by that number to get the "increment". This is helpful for stupid questions asking if an IP address is valid in the fifth subnet or something.

If anyone is interested, I've got a full example using this method as well.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Yes share your knowledge

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
code:
/25 /26 /27 /28 /29 /30 /31 /32
128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255
128  64 32  16   8   4   2   1
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8
 7   6   5   4   3   2   1   0
Row 0: Slash notation assuming this is the 4th octet
Row 1: Decimal values for subnet mask
Row 2: Powers of 2 in ascending order from right-to-left (binary column value)
Row 3: Bits borrowed (X)
Row 4: Bits remaining (Y)

Added a bit to the chart

Methanar fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 20, 2015

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I'm currently studying for a bachelor degree of informatics in Sweden, we will get a scrum certification for a cheaper cost and I will do that during the fall. I wonder if CAPM http://www.pmi.org/certification/certified-associate-project-management-capm.aspx also is worth it? The cost is not prohibitive and when I asked some recruiters they seemed to think it was a good idea.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Parlett316 posted:

Yes share your knowledge

Let's start with a network of 192.168.0.0/24 (255.255.255.0). We will borrow 3 bits for subnets (value X). According to the third row of the chart, we will be making 2^3 subnets or 8 total subnets (6 if they're asking for "usable" subnets). The third column of the chart also has the value in row 1 of 224, which happens to be what the last octet of the subnet mask will be: 255.255.255.224. You can also find this by subtracting 256 from the second row (32; 256 - 32 = 224). In the fourth row of that column is the value 5 (value Y) which is used for 2^5 hosts per subnet (32 total or 30 "usable").

So the subnets go as follows:

First Subnet
Network ID: 192.168.0.0/27
First Host of Subnet: 192.168.0.1/27
Last Host of Subnet: 192.168.0.30/27
Broadcast ID: 192.168.0.31/27

Second Subnet
Network ID: 192.168.0.32/27
First Host of Subnet: 192.168.0.33/27
Last Host of Subnet: 192.168.0.62/27
Broadcast ID: 192.168.0.63/27

Third Subnet
Network ID: 192.168.0.64/27
First Host of Subnet: 192.168.0.65/27
Last Host of Subnet: 192.168.0.126/27
Broadcast ID: 192.168.0.127/27

. . .

Eighth Subnet:
Network ID: 192.168.0.224/27
First Host of Subnet: 192.168.0.225/27
Last Host of Subnet: 192.168.0.254/27
Broadcast ID: 192.168.0.255/27

Methanar posted:

Row 0: Slash notation assuming this is the 4th octet

An interesting addition. You could also get these numbers by taking where you land in row 3 and add your starting subnet mask (24 + 3 = 27 for the above example).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Man, after listening to Keith Barker for a couple of sets of CBT Nuggets videos, Jeremy Cioara is nearly relaxing. Much more on my spectrum as far as "excitability" goes.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Yeah, I liked Jeremy's CCENT/CCNA videos better than Keith's CCNA Sec/CCNP Sec stuff just from a listerning POV.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Keith Barker's subnetting course was pretty awesome though. Definitely recommend it.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this loving lab floored me a few hours ago

http://www.packettracernetwork.com/labs/lab1-basicswitchsetup.html

did almost everything and I still couldnt telnet to the switch with the remote laptop.

i do show ip int brief, it tells me its administratively down

Race Realists posted:

Okay Race Realists, what did jeremy cioara say about administratively down vlans?

....TURN EM ON! Right! so how do i turn it on again?

*spends like half an hour on google looking up how to turn on loving vlans*

OOOH RIGHT, I have to be in privilege mode, do int vlan1 AND THEN do no shutdown from there! :downs:

how do you guys in the field retain your knowledge? i find it simple to remember things like show ip interface brief, but the simplest poo poo like configure terminal and line console 0/line vty just fly right out the window after awhile

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 22, 2015

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Race Realists posted:

this loving lab floored me a few hours ago

http://www.packettracernetwork.com/labs/lab1-basicswitchsetup.html

did almost everything and I still couldnt telnet to the switch with the remote laptop.

i do show ip int brief, it tells me its administratively down

how do you guys in the field retain your knowledge? i find it simple to remember things like show ip interface brief, but the simplest poo poo like configure terminal and line console 0/line vty just fly right out the window after awhile

Go to the interface and do a "no shut" command?

edit: I've just bought a CCNA and CCNP Routing course on Udemy since I need to cert up and I spend a lot of time troubleshooting BGP neighbors and IPsec tunnels for new branch offices. My other time is spent on airplanes flying around Asia and in bathrooms suffering food poisoning. I'm gonna hate myself if I don't get both the CCNA and CCNP Routing by the end of the year since I have half the time in the world.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 22, 2015

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
already did!

CHRIST, this dude does NOT let up on people that are new to this...

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Go to the interface and do a "no shut" command?

edit: I've just bought a CCNA and CCNP Routing course on Udemy since I need to cert up and I spend a lot of time troubleshooting BGP neighbors and IPsec tunnels for new branch offices. My other time is spent on airplanes flying around Asia and in bathrooms suffering food poisoning. I'm gonna hate myself if I don't get both the CCNA and CCNP Routing by the end of the year since I have half the time in the world.

You want to get a ccnp in five months? Good luck to you but I don't know how reasonable that is.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bigass Moth posted:

You want to get a ccnp in five months? Good luck to you but I don't know how reasonable that is.

No no, just the routing part. I'm saving switch and tshoot for later.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Soo... Exactly what IS CCNA/P Collaboration? The way the guys describe it in the video almost makes it sound like regular old Project Management

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/associate/ccna_collaboration/index.html

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Collaboration has replaced the individual voice and video certs with some mobile management thrown in. It's basically the content services cert.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
Sooo, useful? Or would I essentially be throwing money in the drain?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Do you want to be an A/V engineer? Most one-job-fits-all 'system admin' jobs require A/V setup so it will be useful but I doubt HR knows or cares what it is. Many C levels will also assume that if you can configure a firewall and replace a hard drive you must surely know how to set up a voip phone and start a WebEx conference.

If the job you want isn't asking for it and you don't find it necessary to know the collaboration curriculum I think you have better options for your time.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
It's just an updated voice cert with some video rolled in. I guess Cisco wanted to sell more books.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Race Realists posted:

After so long of looking at/writing/adjusting configs, you just know. When you keep typing the same commands you'll figure out the best short hand for them real fast, and how you typically configure things

conf t
lin con 0
logging syn (this is the best command in the world)
login local
pass abc123

Also some great other show commands are sh run | sec *whatever* and when you're half way through configuring an interface and you forget that IP or MTU or whatever, its do sh run int gi0/0 or whatever int.

I found it hard to remember and grasp when i was doing my lab setups and all that, but in the real world when I get some work like "configure these 20 depot routers for an engineer to install", i think its just the repetition that makes it stick.

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 23, 2015

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Ahdinko posted:

logging syn (this is the best command in the world)

It is, along with

no ip domain-lookup

In fact, no ip domain-lookup might slightly win out since logging syn is QOL while stupid dns lookup on mistyped commands is just obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
ICND2 scheduled for the 14th... have been hitting 75%+ on practice exams. I feel like I still have a lot of knowledge lacking for some reason though, but apparently its good enough!