Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AtAt-de-fay posted:

And of someone who has a hard time spelling "stet". He studied and taught journalism, ffs.

I thought it said "scat"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

kcroy posted:

I thought it said "scat"

Understandable.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
If I had ever written "stet" on anything I had received from my editor, I would've been castrated. But then I am not The American Tolkien. Or even the Lost Dog ombudsman for the Penny Saver.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Is he disregarding her circling all those underscores, too? I mean, the book doesn't have it, but I would take that as an act of subversion later on.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Well, Preston's outdone himself this time. I don't know how he keeps escalating his poo poo but dammit if he's hasn't stopped yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jIfYj_guPo

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

actionjackson posted:

Hey dudes, I've read the first three books - how far into season 4 of the show can I go without running into major spoilers?

The biggest thing that would get spoiled for you (Theon) has already been spoiled. Everything else is mostly finishing up Storm and introducing a bit of Feast and Dance. Then five is unrecognizable other than a loose version of Cersei's big moments, and a little bit of Tyrion before being rocketed ahead. The Wall is a mostly barebones version of the book as well.

Other than the last two episodes of season five, basically, you're in the clear.

e: oh and Arya I guess

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Arbite posted:

Well, Preston's outdone himself this time. I don't know how he keeps escalating his poo poo but dammit if he's hasn't stopped yet.

Okay so there is a man named Reek who is Ramsay's manservant who never showers. He is famous for this. When the poo poo hit the fan and Ramsay does a switcheroo, reek dies in his place and he rolls around in pig poo poo to hide as reek. How did he know this would happen? Did he take a shower before he switched clothes? How did he know that today was the day he had to wash his Reek? Is he psychic?
Me: no, this is bad/lazy/convenient writing that you've put under a microscope and I am going to ignore it and move on now.
Preston: Yes, and furthermore...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
e: nm

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sure it does. As a blurb. "Dead things in the water."

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

can someone please explain how GRRM has ever subverted any tropes?

Arianne Martell is the best example off the top of my head.

She has a chapter literally named after the damsel in distress trope that is essentially the inverse of said trope. She's in the tower because she made moves to secure political power that is hers by birthright, she gets herself out of the tower by going on a hunger strike, and the resolution to her arc comes in the form of a conversation between her and her antagonist that elucidates her and Doran's biggest character flaws.

There are a ton of other examples of subversive storytelling in every ASOIAF book.

quote:

seems like something fantasy nerds who have never read anything good say.

Unless you went through some strange schooling that taught ten year olds to recognize narrative patterns the best way to pick up on overarching narrative devices is to critically read and analyze a gently caress ton of stories. Once you can recognize narrative structure, then you start to pick out patterns and develop the ability to articulate how writers use those patterns to communicate. It's exceptionally easy to do this with genre fiction like fantasy because, despite genres like fantasy encouraging wildly imaginative imagery, it's rare to find an author willing to try something creative with the narrative structure.

The thing is, while I can point out how GRRM subverts tropes, I haven't read nor do I intend on ever reading enough fantasy to make a definitive statement on the value of subverting these tropes relative to the rest of the genre.

So it's really the opposite of what you said - it sounds like something a bunch of well-read pedantic nerds who don't read much fantasy would say.

Regulus74 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 17, 2015

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Regulus74 posted:

She has a chapter literally named after the damsel in distress trope that is essentially the inverse of said trope. She's in the tower because she made moves to secure political power that is hers by birthright, she gets herself out of the tower by going on a hunger strike, and the resolution to her arc comes in the form of a conversation between her and her antagonist that elucidates her and Doran's biggest character flaws.

There are a ton of other examples of subversive storytelling in every ASOIAF book.

Unless you went through some strange schooling that taught ten year olds to recognize narrative patterns the best way to pick up on overarching narrative devices is to critically read and analyze a gently caress ton of stories. Once you can recognize narrative structure, then you start to pick out patterns and develop the ability to articulate how writers use those patterns to communicate. It's exceptionally easy to do this with genre fiction like fantasy because, despite genres like fantasy encouraging wildly imaginative imagery, it's rare to find an author willing to try something creative with the narrative structure.

The thing is, while I can point out how GRRM subverts tropes, I haven't read nor do I intend on ever reading enough fantasy to make a definitive statement on the value of subverting these tropes relative to the rest of the genre.

So it's really the opposite of what you said - it sounds like something a bunch of well-read pedantic nerds who don't read much fantasy say.

ok

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Regulus74 posted:

So it's really the opposite of what you said - it sounds like something a bunch of well-read pedantic nerds who don't read much fantasy would say.

A good post. gently caress those who defy it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

SaviourX posted:

A good post. gently caress those who defy it.

This thread has collective brain damage, so get your dick ready to gently caress.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Arbite posted:

Holy poo poo is this some :catdrugs: poo poo. I think at this point I enjoy the crazy of his videos more than the actual show. Watching a Preston video is like dealing with an alien intellect whereas the show is just watching bad writing.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Karnegal posted:

Holy poo poo is this some :catdrugs: poo poo. I think at this point I enjoy the crazy of his videos more than the actual show. Watching a Preston video is like dealing with an alien intellect whereas the show is just watching bad writing.

I know! Dull, Blah, and Fishman may make more reasoned points but they talk for hours on end and have the combined charisma of a wet sock.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I dunno, all the blathering about grrm's other works makes me zone out and not care. I prefer him when he's reassembling timelines, and establishing whether daario is euron or gerion lannister or whoever.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Krinkle posted:

Okay so there is a man named Reek who is Ramsay's manservant who never showers. He is famous for this. When the poo poo hit the fan and Ramsay does a switcheroo, reek dies in his place and he rolls around in pig poo poo to hide as reek. How did he know this would happen? Did he take a shower before he switched clothes? How did he know that today was the day he had to wash his Reek? Is he psychic?
Me: no, this is bad/lazy/convenient writing that you've put under a microscope and I am going to ignore it and move on now.
Preston: Yes, and furthermore...

For someone who reads the books religiously he sure does forget relevant poo poo a lot, Roose Bolton tells Theon the story of the original Reek. Bolton says the original Reek was the most clean person he ever knew and that he bathed 3 times a day and did a bunch of fragrant poo poo to try and hide the smell but he was just naturally really really loving smelly and not even the Maesters could figure it out. It'd make no sense for Ramsay to try to take Reek's place unless as a last resort because Reek is gonna smell like poo poo no matter what and it'd be impossible for them to think Reek was Ramsay for very long unless they immediately killed him.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

I have to say it really stood out that ramsay had some plot armour when he was captured. Grrm handwaved something about needing to keep him as a witness but that really doesn't make much sense when the Lord (or castellan in his place) can do whatever they want

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the theon parts in acok all seemed pretty rushed - I was pretty confused at that part until a re-read

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Iggles posted:

I have to say it really stood out that ramsay had some plot armour when he was captured. Grrm handwaved something about needing to keep him as a witness but that really doesn't make much sense when the Lord (or castellan in his place) can do whatever they want

Yeah Ramsay is absurdly lucky in both the books and the show

"He can't keep getting away with it"

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Arbite posted:

Yup, I see he is still in denial about GRRM maybe not being all that creative and simply reusing ideas. It's always some off the deep end conspiracy this or grand masterplan that with this dude.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
The red comet is a space sanctuary on a slingshot trajectory through the solar system, providing safe haven from the planet’s dying star. Thanks to thousands of years of constant strife, humanity is unable to elevate itself and evolve beyond greed and dogma. An ice age begins to set as the sun contracts. Kraken-like ships emerge from the seas across the massive globe, then link with the comet-satellite during its exit trajectory toward another dying star, many light-years away.

The only humans smart enough to join Varys and the merlings are Margaery, Edric Dayne, Thoros, and the Darkstar. Edric takes Margaery, but Thoros and Gerold spice it up with merlings and alien amazons aboard the interstellar cruise ship.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I just finished my re-read of Dance, I don't really understand the deal with Mance in Winterfell or what his plan was. Why does Mance try to rescue Arya when he should know she's fake? The other lords are said to probably suspect just by the way she's acting and he knows what the real Arya looks like as he saw her at the beginning of Game of Thrones? Why do the spear wives kill random Bolton men? Wouldn't they want to guards to be less suspicious and not on the lookout for weird poo poo?

His whole plan seemed pretty bad and we never actually see where he is during the escape with Jeyne. Maybe I'm getting too Preston here but his plan on the surface doesn't really fit his characterization, he's always portrayed as very intelligent and perceptive, I feel like there is probably something more to his story than what we hear in the Pink letter and see from Theon's perspective.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That whole 'nobody recognizes Jeyne isn't Arya' thing is a bit weird, it's kinda like the book tries to handwave it away but it's been like 2 or 3 years at most since Arya left Winterfell and until the fake wedding, and if nobody truly cares the whole thing is a complete farce anyway cause why even bother to pretend it's Arya if nobody truly gives a poo poo about it. And yeah, given that Mance took note of Jon and remembered his appearance it's very likely he also took a good look at the rest of the Stark children and he'd surely notice it's not the same girl.

Dunno, maybe you're right about Mance having some ulterior motive, many people suspect he's behind the writing of the pink letter and if that's true it could be speculated that his ultimate goal was always to get the wildlings to amass at Winterfell where they could take the castle and then they're pretty much all set for the winter and have effectively won themselves a choice swath of land.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 19, 2015

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That whole 'nobody recognizes Jeyne isn't Arya' thing is a bit weird, it's kinda like the book tries to handwave it away but it's been like 2 or 3 years at most since Arya left Winterfell and until the fake wedding, and if nobody truly cares the whole thing is a complete farce anyway cause why even bother to pretend it's Arya if nobody truly gives a poo poo about it. And yeah, given that Mance took note of Jon and remembered his appearance it's very likely he also took a good look at the rest of the Stark children and he'd surely it's not the same girl.

Dunno, maybe you're right about Mance having some ulterior motive, many people suspect he's behind the writing of the pink letter and if that's true it could be speculated that his ultimate goal was always to get the wildlings to amass at Winterfell where they could take the castle and then they're pretty much all set for the winter and have effectively won themselves a choice swath of land.

What would be the timeline for that plan? Was he originally going to take Winterfell from the Stark's? How? The Boltons haven't had the castle for very long for him to be drawing plans around the current occupants. The wildings were moving tworad the wall before John joined the watch. Mance couldn't have hoped to take Winterfell befor the War ended as it did.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

sunday at work posted:

What would be the timeline for that plan? Was he originally going to take Winterfell from the Stark's? How? The Boltons haven't had the castle for very long for him to be drawing plans around the current occupants. The wildings were moving tworad the wall before John joined the watch. Mance couldn't have hoped to take Winterfell befor the War ended as it did.

His original plan had him breaking the Nights Watch and moving through the wall with his army, that obviously changed when Stannis broke his army and captured him. His new plan would be what he was trying to accomplish after he reached Winterfell and realized that 'Arya' that he had been sent to rescue by Jon was really an imposter, why does he still steal Jeyne from Ramsay and why does he have the spear wives murder random people before the rescue? Did he really not recognize Arya and just get captured again? That be pretty lame but I guess possible.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
gently caress if I knew, there obviously was some plan to rescue Jeyne and deliver her to the wall, but notably Mance himself didn't really seem involved with the actual escape, assuming he really was planning something else all along I'd assume his plan was to first escape from captivity at castle black, which he achieves by promising to rescue Arya, then coming up with some way to turn the situation to his favor once he's at Winterfell. It's not unthinkable cause he is supposed to be a very cunning and capable man.

If he did watch anything that goes on inside the castle trying to have his wildling army march at Winterfell when the Boltons and Stannis are preoccupied with one another, either way you'd assume he'd want to get an army loyal to himself into the picture as soon as the opportunity presents itself, which, presumably, it did when the spearwives created a big distraction trying to rescue Jeyne and Theon.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That whole 'nobody recognizes Jeyne isn't Arya' thing is a bit weird, it's kinda like the book tries to handwave it away but it's been like 2 or 3 years at most since Arya left Winterfell and until the fake wedding, and if nobody truly cares the whole thing is a complete farce anyway cause why even bother to pretend it's Arya if nobody truly gives a poo poo about it. And yeah, given that Mance took note of Jon and remembered his appearance it's very likely he also took a good look at the rest of the Stark children and he'd surely it's not the same girl.

I think Mance is also conspiring with Mel to help Stannis with hopes of making sure his people survive south of the wall. His goal is to help sow discord in Winterfell weaken them when they face Stannis, hence all the murders if you believe Mance and the washerwomen are responsible.

Mance realizes that his people probably only survive south of the wall either through a Stannis' victory and / or possibly a Stark back in Winterfell.

Many people have mentioned the parallels to Bael the Bard and it could be a twisted play on that even if through Arya and the female line. I highly doubt Mance would marry Arya himself. Besides Mance may not survive Stannis. And if Arya made it back back to Castle Black, Mance might think she'd be an influencial friend to the wildlings after all this mess is over.

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

A Typical Goon posted:

His original plan had him breaking the Nights Watch and moving through the wall with his army, that obviously changed when Stannis broke his army and captured him. His new plan would be what he was trying to accomplish after he reached Winterfell and realized that 'Arya' that he had been sent to rescue by Jon was really an imposter, why does he still steal Jeyne from Ramsay and why does he have the spear wives murder random people before the rescue? Did he really not recognize Arya and just get captured again? That be pretty lame but I guess possible.

I guess I figured his original plan was something to do with magic / the Others. Even if he had realized the Watch was weak and thought to end them with a unified Wildling army it's doubtful he could have taken Winterfell against the Starks and their Bannermen prior to the devestation of the War of the Five Kings.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Did he have any choice but to try though? He was aware of the White Walker threat before just about anyone else and its' clear he feels responsible for the people north of the Wall. Even if they all get killed trying to conquer the wall, maybe that's still better than seeing all his people turned into wights.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah my take is that Mance is pretty much the only democratically elected leader in Westeros, he leads a coalition of almost all wildling tribes with the sole mandate of getting them south of the wall before winter comes and the white walkers are upon them, it does seem likely that he had some encounter with the walkers several years before the beginning of AGOT or that he came upon something that clued him on their imminent return, another alternative explanation is that he is somewhat responsible for their return as it is rumored that he spent some time opening up ancient tombs in some secret valley in the frostfangs mountains. It's important to remember that Mance's plan for breaching the tunnel at castle black was generally a rather good plan and that it had very high chance of succeeding, the only thing that stopped him was Stannis' unexpected arrival north of the wall with several thousand of heavily armored knights, the watch only had the numbers to repel Mance's army for at best a couple of days.

Getting south of the wall is well and good and I'm sure he's somewhat appreciative of Jon's efforts but getting the freefolk another two hundred miles south and into the best fortified castle in the north is even better.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
done ye...

:effort:

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

so when is the winds of winter coming out eh

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Before s6 according to gurm (haha).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

euroboy posted:

so when is the winds of winter coming out eh

Just before the heat death of the universe. But season 6 starts next spring I believe.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That whole 'nobody recognizes Jeyne isn't Arya' thing is a bit weird, it's kinda like the book tries to handwave it away but it's been like 2 or 3 years at most since Arya left Winterfell and until the fake wedding, and if nobody truly cares the whole thing is a complete farce anyway cause why even bother to pretend it's Arya if nobody truly gives a poo poo about it. And yeah, given that Mance took note of Jon and remembered his appearance it's very likely he also took a good look at the rest of the Stark children and he'd surely notice it's not the same girl.

Most of the Northern Lords know Jeyne isn't really Arya, but 1)they have no one figure who can oppose the Boltons, let alone the Iron Throne to rally behind, and 2)Most of them still have family members being held hostage at the Twins, meaning if they don't play along with the Bolton farce, Bolton's good-father Walder Frey may never send those family members back. The whole "fake Arya' thing happened quite a lot throughout pre-modern times, the Boltons want some legitimacy over their lordship of the North, and marrying into the family of the last Lord Paramount, even if it's only the veneer of legitimacy works fine. As we can see in Dance though, plenty of Northern lords see through it or still refuse to support the Boltons, as evidenced by Roose starting to sweat bullets as Manderly gets more and more brazen, insulting his Frey allies.

Mance still wants to kidnap Jeyne because again, it's all about the veneer of legitimacy. Even if Jeyne is a fake, no fake Arya means Bolton can't even protect his son's wife, a major blow to his reputation.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 22, 2015

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Just before the heat death of the universe. But season 6 starts next spring I believe.

You just founded an apocalypse cult.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ZShakespeare posted:

You just founded an apocalypse cult.

The Rapeture is imminent! Rapent, ye sinners!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Most of the Northern Lords know Jeyne isn't really Arya, but 1)they have no one figure who can oppose the Boltons, let alone the Iron Throne to rally behind, and 2)Most of them still have family members being held hostage at the Twins, meaning if they don't play along with the Bolton farce, Bolton's good-father Walder Frey may never send those family members back. The whole "fake Arya' thing happened quite a lot throughout pre-modern times, the Boltons want some legitimacy over their lordship of the North, and marrying into the family of the last Lord Paramount, even if it's only the veneer of legitimacy works fine. As we can see in Dance though, plenty of Northern lords see through it or still refuse to support the Boltons, as evidenced by Roose starting to sweat bullets as Manderly gets more and more brazen, insulting his Frey allies.

Mance still wants to kidnap Jeyne because again, it's all about the veneer of legitimacy. Even if Jeyne is a fake, no fake Arya means Bolton can't even protect his son's wife, a major blow to his reputation.

I don't think most of the northern lords know about the Jeyne/Arya switch. Lady Dustin almost certainly does, but that may be it at the actual wedding.

Northerners not at the wedding definitely thought it was Arya getting married. If not for "Ned's little girl" I don't think the Liddles and other mountain clans would have joined Stannis.

It's a tricky situation to peel apart because, like you said, northern lords who suspect Bolton is up to no good would be pressured to go along with the ruse anyway. I just don't think there's enough textual evidence to suggest that the lords were skeptical. Most of them had not known Arya too well and a lot of them would probably take it at face value that "Arya" was finally returned to the North from King's Landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Elman posted:

Before s6 according to gurm (haha).

Did he actually say that somewhere?