Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There are standard gas stations in the US that still sell standard, non-ethanol fuel. The poster from "the other planet" likely thought of places that sell specialty gas like oxygenated race fuel or AvGas.

Edit: But even those places don't bat an eye about selling their stuff to whomever. I used to fuel up my jetski at a walk up pump at a small regional airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Imagined posted:

What kind of of shithole planet do you live on? On my planet, a gas station isn't "wary" about selling anyone anything and if you're using a credit card, you don't have to interact with a human to get any kind of gas you want. Why would anyone be wary about selling the kind of gas that was standard everywhere until about 10 years ago?

My guess would be federal regulations requiring ethanol in gas sold for on-road use.

Also on my "shithole" planet there is one gas station within an hour's drive that sells ethanol-free 87 octane. Its a marina. It has an old pump without a credit card reader so you have to talk to someone to buy it, and from what I've read online if you aren't putting it in a boat they don't want to sell to you because they have a limited supply. So aside from the fact that they probably wouldn't sell it to me I'm not going to drive 50 miles one way to buy ethanol free gas for my lawnmower when it hasn't given me any issues for half a decade with normal pump gas. Sorry if that offends you.

Also, you could try not being an rear end in a top hat when you reply to people.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I love my 40v electric mower. It came with two batteries, which is more than enough to do my front and back yards with room to spare. It folds up, can be stored in any orientation, weighs much less and is relatively quiet.

Using gasoline in a residential lawnmower is obsolete tech.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SLOSifl posted:

I love my 40v electric mower. It came with two batteries, which is more than enough to do my front and back yards with room to spare. It folds up, can be stored in any orientation, weighs much less and is relatively quiet.

Using gasoline in a residential lawnmower is obsolete tech.

This forever. The best part about an electric battery powered mower is you can start and stop whenever you want for any reason. Maintenance is limited to charging the batteries and keeping grass from building up and no exhaust is great too.
No oil, no liquids, no leaks, no smells. If you're really on board you can use those same batteries with trimmers and blowers too!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Can I ride an electric lawnmower while drinking beer? I thought so.

Chrtrptnt
Aug 18, 2008

CannonFodder posted:

Can I ride an electric lawnmower while drinking beer? I thought so.

Yes? They exist, so why couldn't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx8qsUB7cNI

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I used to fuel up my jetski at a walk up pump at a small regional airport.

Why?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Geoj posted:

My guess would be federal regulations requiring ethanol in gas sold for on-road use.

There aren't any.

I mean, there are requirements that such-and-such a quantity of renewable fuels are sold each year, but if a gas station can find someone willing to supply it with ethanol-free gas, there's absolutely nothing illegal with you filling your car or your boat or your lawnmower or your vibrator up with it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The only federal regulation I know about in the U.S. is if a nozzle pumps both pure gas and ethanol gas, you have to pump at least four gallons of gas to clear out any residual. Most gas stations I see that have both types separate them into different nozzles, though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Non-motorized reel mowers are even better than electric. There's no maintenance beyond adjusting the blade once every couple of years and they're no harder to push than a powered mower after the initial push to get it moving, yet it's the type of mower that's considered obsolete.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ethanol is apparently bad for fiberglass gas tanks, and anything that isn't run a lot because it can hold like 1% or something water. Boats/jetskis are basically all fiberglass. I think there's some additives you can add or it might not be an issue in newer boats but lots of boats people are still using are 15+ years old when it wasn't really a concern and you could get E0 pretty much everywhere.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Plinkey posted:

Ethanol is apparently bad for fiberglass gas tanks, and anything that isn't run a lot because it can hold like 1% or something water. Boats/jetskis are basically all fiberglass. I think there's some aves you can add or it might not be an issue in newer boats but lots of boats people are still using are 15+ years old when it wasn't really a concern and you could get E0 pretty much everywhere.

You're overthinking it. It wasn't ethanol free I was after, but rather the higher octane of the AvGas. It's not as powerful as standard or racing fuel at similar octane levels, but it does provide about 100 octane for just a buck more than standard pump gas. High compression 2-strokes need high octane fuel. AvGas is a cheap way to get it.

All that said, ethanol is terrible for various seals and rubber diaphragms in the carburetors of older 2-stroke skis.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TotalLossBrain posted:

All that said, ethanol is terrible for various seals and rubber diaphragms in the carburetors of older 2-stroke skis.

Ah, I only knew about the ethanol messing up seals and stuff, and the only place around here to find it is at marinas or small specialty gas stations near tracks (or close to docks/marinas).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ethanol eats seals and gaskets, unless they're designed to deal with ethanol.

E10, E15, it's not a big deal, you can run those in gasoline engines and it won't hurt anything, although since ethanol doesn't have the volumetric energy density of gasoline you'll take a mileage hit (which pretty much offsets the supposed environmental benefit of ethanol's "renewability"). E85 will ruin engines. Again, unless those engines have been designed with ethanol in mind.

Ethanol is theoretically a decent idea. In Brazil, where they make it from switchgrass, a weed that nobody wants and which grows on really marginal land, it might be a good idea. In the USA, where we make it from corn which could otherwise be used to feed people, it's a retarded loving idea that wouldn't exist it all were it not for stupid laws and is nothing more than a transfer payment to Monsanto and ConAgra; it's a net energy sink that doesn't help anyone unless you happen to own one of the refineries that turns perfectly good corn into useless ethanol for cars.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/423385/ethanol-blamed-for-record-food-prices/

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I don't think I've ever seen a gas pump that didn't offer non-ethanol gas. You usually see two nozzles with ethanol, one without, and then a diesel nozzle.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

pookel posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a gas pump that didn't offer non-ethanol gas. You usually see two nozzles with ethanol, one without, and then a diesel nozzle.

Where the hell do you live? I don't think I've seen one without ethanol in the last ten years here in southeast Pennsylvania.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

0toShifty posted:

Where the hell do you live? I don't think I've seen one without ethanol in the last ten years here in southeast Pennsylvania.

No kidding. I haven't seen one for almost 2 decades.

http://pure-gas.org/ has a list of pumps that dispense ethanol-free gas. It's not big.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Like most things in the US, there seems to be a large degree of regional variation:

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

0toShifty posted:

North Dakota. Ethanol hasn't gone over well here.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

pookel posted:

Yep. Just about every large (more than 4 pumps) gas station here has both ethanol and non-ethanol pumps.

Living in one of the most retarded states in Jesusland (three separate national headline embarrassments this week!) , I get so excited whenever I find out we do even the tiniest little thing better or smarter than somewhere else.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Jul 20, 2015

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I'm aware of the potential problems with ethanol in gas, I was just wondering why he was using avgas since most two strokes don't even require premium, but it sounds like he was running a higher than usual compression ratio.

Dissolving seals/fuel lines/fuel tanks is really a crap-shoot depending on what they decided to use in your particular machine. I have a riding mower built during the Iran Hostage Crisis that runs just fine while many people had the carbs on their half as old equipment fall apart. I would prefer they go back to paying farmers not to grow anything than mandating that their corn be used to make gas shittier.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

if only there were a way to turn useless stupid boring derails into clean fuel

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
At least this derail is almost about something instead of everyone talking about the particular way they pay for things electronically, the last time they've seen a check, whether their gas pumps can be used hands-free, the best way to wipe their rear end etc.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hailthefish posted:

Like most things in the US, there seems to be a large degree of regional variation:

Well at least you did really post a picture of something obsolete and very much failed :smugmrgw:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

gas stations around here sell jugs with alkylate fuel for lawn mowers, outboard motors and other small engines without catalysts.

it's basically extra pure refined gasoline.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Re: small engines, when I worked at the cemetery we switched to "eco gas" for our small lawn mowers and leaf blowers etc. and I think it was made from trees or something? Anyway it smelled nothing like gas and to prove to a really dumb co-worker (the same one who did believe me when I told him albatrosses who die mid-glide just keep flying for years and years because they have a special bone that locks in place when gliding so they don't need to use any muscle force to keep their wings rigid and it's so cold at the high altitudes they fly in that they don't rot - not that there are any decomposers that high up anyway - but didn't believe me when I told him that kiwi birds exist) that it wasn't water I poured some on the ground and lit it. So maybe I poured a bit more than was necessary and he started panicking because the fire wouldn't go out and it was in the middle of a cemetery so there were quite a bit of people about. After running in a circle for a few moments, shouting "NOW WE HAVE A SITUATION! NOW WE HAVE A SITUATION!" he proceeded to try to put out the fire with a small piece of styrofoam.

I don't know where I was going with this but that was my gasoline story hope you enjoyed it.

(He also didn't believe in Parking Zorro.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Obsolete and failed: my posting :mrgw:

TheCoconutman
Sep 13, 2007
Who took the money from the house fund? the coconutman, Fuck the coconutman
Zcx

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

if only there were a way to turn useless stupid boring derails into clean fuel
I keep meaning to make an effortpost about obsolete sex toy technology, but then I post from work, so uh ... nope. Maybe tonight. (Anyone who wants to steal my idea is free to, there's a gold mine out there.)

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

My eyes are so hosed up that they won't lasik me, apparently it's too risky. Hell, I can't even get contacts that you can sleep in, they don't make them for my eyes.

Having lovely eyes sucks.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Jerry Cotton posted:

Re: small engines, when I worked at the cemetery we switched to "eco gas" for our small lawn mowers and leaf blowers etc. and I think it was made from trees or something? Anyway it smelled nothing like gas and to prove to a really dumb co-worker (the same one who did believe me when I told him albatrosses who die mid-glide just keep flying for years and years because they have a special bone that locks in place when gliding so they don't need to use any muscle force to keep their wings rigid and it's so cold at the high altitudes they fly in that they don't rot - not that there are any decomposers that high up anyway - but didn't believe me when I told him that kiwi birds exist) that it wasn't water I poured some on the ground and lit it. So maybe I poured a bit more than was necessary and he started panicking because the fire wouldn't go out and it was in the middle of a cemetery so there were quite a bit of people about. After running in a circle for a few moments, shouting "NOW WE HAVE A SITUATION! NOW WE HAVE A SITUATION!" he proceeded to try to put out the fire with a small piece of styrofoam.

I don't know where I was going with this but that was my gasoline story hope you enjoyed it.

yes yes I enjoyed it very much!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ranbo das posted:

My eyes are so hosed up that they won't lasik me, apparently it's too risky. Hell, I can't even get contacts that you can sleep in, they don't make them for my eyes.

Well yes unless you're really really tiny I think you'll find you can't really sleep in contact lenses regardless of eye health.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Have to love the ignorant for the one thing they are able to give back to the community, our enjoyment.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My LASIK surgery took 22 minutes total a from the time I walked into the doctor's office to the time I left. The process is absolutely painless and you don't see anything out of the eye they're working on until the surgery is done. The exam takes about an hour and is pretty non-intrusive as well. Do it.

Yeah, definitely don't mention the burning smell. I was told it was just the laser outgassing, but I'm pretty sure it was my cornea cooking.

I can't do anything foreign near my eyeball. I can't even keep my eyes open for camera flashes. As a result they had to tape my eyelids back and I'm pretty sure the vision in my right eye is worse than my left eye solely because I couldn't stop uncontrollably twitching.

Still a success. Burning tissue smells and all.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

ranbo das posted:

I had thin corneas apparently, so they wouldn't LASIK me either. I ended up getting ICL surgery instead, and I am very happy. I can't say whether you would be eligible without knowing what issue disqualified you from the LASIK.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sleeping in contacts sucks either way so you don't have to feel sad about that.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well yes unless you're really really tiny I think you'll find you can't really sleep in contact lenses regardless of eye health.

Non-continuous wear contact lenses are obsolete and failed technology. I wear my lenses 24/7 for 30 days straight.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
My eyes aren't terrible (I only wear my glasses for distance) but I remember watching a documentary years ago about LASIK and... Is it still true that they basically have to slice open the membrane at the front your eye to do it? :gonk:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

robodex posted:

My eyes aren't terrible (I only wear my glasses for distance) but I remember watching a documentary years ago about LASIK and... Is it still true that they basically have to slice open the membrane at the front your eye to do it? :gonk:

Not just the membrane, the cornea.

I had laser PRK earlier this year. They burn off the membrane with an alcohol solution then use the laser to burn off the top layers of the cornea. You have to grow a new epithelial layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

robodex posted:

I thought they had made advancements with this because they had to slice and peel back my dad's cornea when he had it done 10+ years ago.

Nowadays they dont slice and peel, they have this thing like the drill-bit you use to cut the doorknob hole out of doors, or one of those things that cuts out apple cores. slices a full circle of your cornea out, they laser underneath then pop the circle back out and place it back exactly where it was cut out. It heals in a day or two.

I thought they had lasers that could pass through cornea layers but nope.