Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

JakeP posted:

I live to eat and agree, but I can only fit so much food in my gullet so I try to choose wisely for maximum optimization and efficiency

You can run out of room?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Batman created by Bob Kane (WITH ZERO HELP)

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Batman is a fascist who made a hobby of brutally assaulting the mentally ill. Batman could have been a real hero and funded better mental health care options in Gotham.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Superman should have used his strength and flight to move shipping containers full of food to impoverished areas

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Superman should have used his strength and flight to move shipping containers full of food to impoverished areas

Unironically yes.

Superheroes are good guys the same way that people who boost about donating 10 dollars to charity on facebook are good guys.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/?id=2305

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 27, 2020

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean I think kind of a central conceit to most super hero stories is the existence of some world threatening power that requires the talents/skills of the protagonist(s) to be dealt with. Not that they just literally beat up low level criminals.

But yeah, Batman is particularly bad in that sense

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

If I lived in comic book land, I would require all humans with supernatural abilities to spend a year working for the Peace Corp or Red Cross before they could fight crime.

Also, there would be none of this secret identity nonsense.

That's dumb.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I would sneak up behind batman and hit him with a bat.

Then I would call myself the bat-man and declare myself the hero of gotham.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

QuoProQuid posted:

Also, there would be none of this secret identity nonsense.

That's dumb.
I was watching the latest x-men movie a few days ago and I kept thinking, gosh, you know, superhero registration seems really really reasonable.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

As a superhuman I am opposed to superhuman registration.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

After thinking about it for a moment, I imagine that superheroes would operate like major league sports teams. Every so often, municipal governments threaten to regulate vigilantism to cut down on expenses, probably citing the need to regularly rebuild the downtown area after battles. Outraged that the city would try to intervene in his affairs, Superman publicly threatens to leave Metropolis for a place that desperately wants a superhero of its own, a place like Los Angeles. This threat causes immense anxiety for the locals. After all, what is Metropolis without Superman? The city is not only losing a means of attracting tourists and stopping criminals, but a symbol of itself. To lose Superman would be like losing one's identity.

This anxiety causes protests amongst the Superman's fans, who threaten to punish their elected officials if the city government does not relent in its attempts to regulate the charade. Following several weeks of bad press and growing public dissatisfaction (flames fanned by Superman), the city relents and Superman gets to continue destroying half the city.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 20, 2015

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

As a superhuman I am opposed to superhuman registration.
Same

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I mostly use my superpowers to dominate social sports.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have the power of love

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
my power is being super annoying

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

bowmore posted:

I have the power of love

That's my one weakness.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

My superpower is writing lots of words about things that people don't particularly care about.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

My superpower is writing lots of words about things that people don't particularly care about.

Lots of people write autobiographies, Quid.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

That's my one weakness.
red heart shaped krypton

EccoRaven posted:

my power is being super annoying
your power has no effect on me! ha ha!

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

CCKeane posted:

Lots of people write autobiographies, Quid.

There are lots of superheroes with the same ability!

(i checked google before making this post)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
My superpower is super-mediocrity. I'm always "meh" at whatever I do, no matter how much or how little practice!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

yuming posted:

That's a lot of school, but it's something we def. need to know more about! Do you have an area of interest yet or is it just because brains are cool (man brains are cool)?

My primary focus is on actual brain science behind mental illness. There is a lot of nasty misinformation flying around that's leading to botched diagnosis and people being drugged as a first line of defense when psychiatric drugs in a healthy brain can lead to chronic illness and dependence. I was sick for ten years from improper handling in the mental health system and spent the last three of those with a schizophrenic spectrum diagnosis. My goals are pretty steep but if I even get a lower level position on a research team working on dispelling the mythology shoved on consumers by the pharmaceutical industry, I will consider my life well spent.

That's pretty personal but yeah that's why I'm pursuing this field. A few Mafia goons were close to me during the hardest point of being sick, I don't think most of them are still around. Anyway I'm pretty open about that being a part of my life; I think I posted a thread about it years ago.

Right now I'm getting math fundamentals in and doing peer support from a drug free recovery orientation, so basically if there are any Mafia buddies here who are suffering I'd be happy to listen and offer what experience I have.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That sounds great. As someone who has been in grad school far too long, I'd say be sure to keep your eyes on the prize, as it were, and remember what you came in there for. Make it clear that advocacy and dissemination to the general public is something very important to you, because I find it can get lost along the way. My research interests also had a very strong practical portion, but I found that without me constantly pushing my own agenda that they could stray too theoretical or too academia and that point of view can easily get lost.

A good supervisor who will listen to you and work with you and is either enthusiastic about what you love or is willing to let you do it even if they're not I think is the absolutely most important thing in choosing a grad school over reputation or classes or funding or anything else that may come up.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Look Under The Rock posted:

My primary focus is on actual brain science behind mental illness. There is a lot of nasty misinformation flying around that's leading to botched diagnosis and people being drugged as a first line of defense when psychiatric drugs in a healthy brain can lead to chronic illness and dependence. I was sick for ten years from improper handling in the mental health system and spent the last three of those with a schizophrenic spectrum diagnosis. My goals are pretty steep but if I even get a lower level position on a research team working on dispelling the mythology shoved on consumers by the pharmaceutical industry, I will consider my life well spent.

That's pretty personal but yeah that's why I'm pursuing this field. A few Mafia goons were close to me during the hardest point of being sick, I don't think most of them are still around. Anyway I'm pretty open about that being a part of my life; I think I posted a thread about it years ago.

Right now I'm getting math fundamentals in and doing peer support from a drug free recovery orientation, so basically if there are any Mafia buddies here who are suffering I'd be happy to listen and offer what experience I have.

If you get me talking about how much I hate the pharmaceutical industry, it's almost impossible to get me to stop. Good luck to you!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Ecco have you played Animal Crossing? I've been playing the 3DS version and I have this feeling it's your kind of game.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i like the pharmaceutical industry :(

last year someone i work with came out with a mathematical model to auto-generate drugs and they generated 10,000 ones

the pharma companies my coworker reached out to had already tested 7000 (!!) of them.

if you understand how complicated that is, you'd know why it's absolutely wonderful that the pharma industry exists.

it's just awful that fitting into capitalism forces the industry to lobby stupidly and ask for unnecessary rights: the system is broken and forces the motivation to be broken. the people in it are useful and nice i swear. :(

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ernie. posted:

i like the pharmaceutical industry :(

last year someone i work with came out with a mathematical model to auto-generate drugs and they generated 10,000 ones

the pharma companies my coworker reached out to had already tested 7000 (!!) of them.

if you understand how complicated that is, you'd know why it's absolutely wonderful that the pharma industry exists.

it's just awful that fitting into capitalism forces the industry to lobby stupidly and ask for unnecessary rights: the system is broken and forces the motivation to be broken. the people in it are useful and nice i swear. :(

There's a lot of good things that pharmaceutical engineers and scientists do.

There's also a remarkable amount of bad that is done on the business/marketing end, that is unspeakably immoral.

They can be considered separately, but health care industries can get really, really sketchy really really fast. I worked in one of the lower classifications of health care products and engineering and QC was continually fighting against the business team because we insisted on including testing of materials and were very opposed to releasing a product with known defects. It is very sickening.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Like the R&D scientists are goddamn heroes but the industry and a lot of the direction it takes is really unfortunate and upsetting.

There are conmericals for atypical antipsychotics on TV being advertised as supplements to antidepressant regimes which uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Murmur Twin posted:

If you get me talking about how much I hate the pharmaceutical industry, it's almost impossible to get me to stop. Good luck to you!

I would really like to talk to you about it.

Also with the Keane-Ernie sides of things there, here's where I fall: I think the pharmaceutical industry is incredibly important. I think curing diseases and treating people who are suffering is incredibly important. The biggest problem is with psych drugs being marketed directly to the consumer + Americans being far more willing to just take a pill to try and make their problems go away than actually deal with trauma or lifestyle changes that will actually help with mental illness. Couple that with the fact that there are so many people in the system and diagnostic lines are arbitrarily drawn around self-reported symptoms and you have a rapidly increasing number of people disabled by mental illness who will be on drugs for the rest of their life even if they didn't originally need them and you get why I feel this is such an important issue.

Basically it's specifically pharma+ mental health industry that needs to be fixed.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Also with the Keane-Ernie sides of things there, here's where I fall: I think the pharmaceutical industry is incredibly important. I think curing diseases and treating people who are suffering is incredibly important. The biggest problem is with psych drugs being marketed directly to the consumer + Americans being far more willing to just take a pill to try and make their problems go away than actually deal with trauma or lifestyle changes that will actually help with mental illness. Couple that with the fact that there are so many people in the system and diagnostic lines are arbitrarily drawn around self-reported symptoms and you have a rapidly increasing number of people disabled by mental illness who will be on drugs for the rest of their life even if they didn't originally need them and you get why I feel this is such an important issue.

Basically it's specifically pharma+ mental health industry that needs to be fixed.

I pretty much agree with that entirely, and I do think that the mental health side of the industry sees the most egregious examples of shady behaviors (direct to consumer marketing is absurd)

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Like the R&D scientists are goddamn heroes but the industry and a lot of the direction it takes is really unfortunate and upsetting.

There are conmericals for atypical antipsychotics on TV being advertised as supplements to antidepressant regimes which uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

the fun part about this is that antidepressants don't actually wooooooooork for most people and those Abilify ads are playing off "hey if your antidepressant isn't working you should try this drug that will possibly make you stop functioning and could induce psychosis if you quit yaaaaay"

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

USA and New Zealand are the only countries that allow direct to consumer advertising

FREEDOM and poo poo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

I'm one of those people in the lovely situation of actually needing a combination of therapy and medication (and being able to afford neither), and I can absolutely agree that just selling pills to cure everything is...

The best analogy I can think of is that it's like selling wheelchairs to people with injured legs/spines, and insisting that's all they'll ever need, thus keeping them from ever actually getting physical therapy or anything else that could end their dependence on the wheelchair.

Except they don't charge you another $80 each month to keep a wheelchair.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm one of those people in the lovely situation of actually needing a combination of therapy and medication (and being able to afford neither), and I can absolutely agree that just selling pills to cure everything is...

The best analogy I can think of is that it's like selling wheelchairs to people with injured legs/spines, and insisting that's all they'll ever need, thus keeping them from ever actually getting physical therapy or anything else that could end their dependence on the wheelchair.

Except they don't charge you another $80 each month to keep a wheelchair.

It's more like renting you a wheelchair that has lovely ergonomics and makes your legs/spine worse the longer you sit in it.

PM me if you want to chat btw.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Poison Mushroom posted:

This is more or less where I'm at, except probably not as severe. When I was younger my parents kept me in therapy whenever they could, but since I grew up I've been on my own, and unable to really afford any care at all. I've just tried to find ways to keep it together. I've almost lost my job a few times in recent years, but I was lucky enough to find employers who understood and were super patient with me until I got back into shape.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

Ecco have you played Animal Crossing? I've been playing the 3DS version and I have this feeling it's your kind of game.

nah like I said we all kinda moved on after like 2002.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

CCKeane posted:

I pretty much agree with that entirely, and I do think that the mental health side of the industry sees the most egregious examples of shady behaviors (direct to consumer marketing is absurd)

unfortunately the medical side of any field tangentially related to mental health is rotten from the bottom up. we need to start with the change on a social level to stop stigmatizing and complicating mental health understanding. obama's brain initiative is a step. we'll improve. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

what do you think of bill burr, keane?

i saw a set of his today and he was incredibly transphobic and sexist. he kept making jokes about how people who are criticizing him are entitled. he was funny away from those jokes but quite a few people heckled him today. one even said 'It's SHE' when he was making fun of Caitlyn Jenner and another immediately followed up with 'it's SHE and this is ottawa' (i.e. we're quite socially progressive) and i half agreed with them and i don't know what to think.