Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

The option is when you select a tinkerable item in your inventory and select the bottom option, something about the early history of the item. If you have the appropriate tinkering skill you can then learn the recipe. It also makes it so you can't fail examining items up to the first level mentioned. Note that Tinkering I covers levels 1-4, Tinkering 2 covers 5 and 6, and Tinkering 3 covers poo poo you don't need to learn and will never have the bits for.

So the description is just wrong. You still use examine to identify the item, it just prevents you from breaking poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RickVoid posted:

So the description is just wrong. You still use examine to identify the item, it just prevents you from breaking poo poo.

Yeah. The main use is free grenade recipes. Leveling it past about 5 is not recommended.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

A new public release of ADOM is out:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

A new public release of ADOM is out:

http://www.ancientdomainsofmystery.com/

quote:

On the other hand it's our biggest release ever: Jochen built 59 (!!!) different binary versions for both Steam and the public. This probably makes ADOM the most flexible roguelike game ever as far as platform support goes!

How does he manage to write even release notes that somehow rub me the wrong way.

Anyway, downloading, haven't touched this in a long time.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
[SteamQud July 19 #2, 2015]
*Decreased object creation (and thus zone build) time by around 300% by doing it slightly better than the worst way possible
*Fixed 'throttle animations' option. It wasn't working at all. Turn this on if Qud is melting your laptop into a puddle of lava.
*Improved redrock and rustwell zone creation times by 100% by not doing the slowest part twice for no reason.
*Force disabled compression, disregarding option state, since it makes Unity violently explode at the moment.
*Reduced overall memory use for game objects by about 30%.
*Fixed zone suspension system spamming commands like crazy and keeping references to cached zones.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I really hope a large town on the surface spanning multiple screens would be added, sorta like Fallout 2's New Reno or NCR. Joppa and Kyakukya are nice, but are just farming villages while Grit Gate is more of a fortified bunker/lab.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I kinda get the feeling that this is more part 1 of A Canticle for Leibowitz, where people are starting to rebuild but still pretty isolated.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dis astranagant posted:

I kinda get the feeling that this is more part 1 of A Canticle for Leibowitz, where people are starting to rebuild but still pretty isolated.

It absolutely reminds me a bit of Canticle. Especially the part about getting hungry and thirsty in the desert and then murdering and eating a lizard.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Gonna save the sprawing cities for the sequel in the setting with a largely procedurally generated elder scrolls FPS roguelike... as soon as I find $150 million dollars somewhere.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Unormal posted:

Gonna save the sprawing cities for the sequel in the setting with a largely procedurally generated elder scrolls FPS roguelike... as soon as I find $150 million dollars somewhere.

So Borderlands but using CoQ as the setting, with more of a focus on the RPG elements and melee weapons?

*throws wallet at screen*

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It feels more like Vance's Dying Earth or Wolfe's New Sun to me where there are some minor nation states kicking on amidst a world of decay. Qud just seems to be particularly wild since there are tons of killer robots and crazy mutants running around still despite it being many centuries after the supposed apocalypse.

Unormal posted:

I just want a wretched hive of scum and villainy :( Also a crappy bar where I can beat up the patrons until the warden comes and throws me in the hoosegow.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 20, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

I just want a wretched hive of scum and villainy :( Also a crappy bar where I can beat up the patrons until the warden comes and throws me in the hoosegow.

Really, the six-day stilt will probably satisfy you when it eventually goes in.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Unormal posted:

Really, the six-day stilt will probably satisfy you when it eventually goes in.
Now that's interesting. I just thought it was going to be a stuck up monastery of religious zealots.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Ahhh, Qud: I don't always lava-cheat, but when I do, I pour it into a little pile next to Tam's hut for ease of use.

I was pouring out 3 of the 5 drams of Magmatic Salt I was carrying (that's what lava turns into when you pour it onto a saltmarsh tile) and either I immediately hit some hotkey I don't know about that forces me to drink from what I last poured from, or there was a bug, or the game actually prioritizes drinking lava if it's in your inventory as a form of anti-cheating, because I suddenly died from drinking lava.

IT BURNS!!! I should've grabbed a screenshot, it was pretty funny.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just go to the asphalt mines, they have all the lava you could ever want.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I'd like to try out tinkering at some point - any recommendations for a good (or at least playable) build?

bonus question: is there any downside to murdering argyve as soon as he gives you A Canticle for Barathrum, so that you can take his data disks?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Argyve can charge cells, which is pretty handy if you don't want to spend all your scrap power systems on recharging batteries (you don't).

He also sells data disks and will happily offer you absurdly rare ones sometimes. Don't kill Argyve, he is your only reliably accessible source of scrap and recipes until you're past Golgotha. I guess you could gank him if he has disks you desperately want but if that aggros Ulraig you're basically dead.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

PleasingFungus posted:

I'd like to try out tinkering at some point - any recommendations for a good (or at least playable) build?

bonus question: is there any downside to murdering argyve as soon as he gives you A Canticle for Barathrum, so that you can take his data disks?

http://pastebin.com/0ExECmUn
Use bow turrets. Asphalt mines has a good amount of bits.

Also for Argyve, I don't think so, but he does restock every so often and disc vendors are relatively rare.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

PleasingFungus posted:

Its unconventional but lately i've been playing tinker characters by starting out as a Consul, the barrier armlet you start out with and occasional free allys you recruit can really carry you through the early game (which is the hardest part of being a tinker).

It does have the downside of not being able to take tinkering 3 until pretty lategame though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
ty to all!

just lost my best character so far, axe turtle with 4 arms + freezing hands; entered golgotha for the first time and was murdered by acid fumes in a conveyor belt. how distressing.

will try a tinker next!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Here's my last tinker build:

Thick Fur, Slime Glands and Night Vision are filler, the first and last pretty drat nice filler.

Put your mutation points in freezing hands first, then carapace, maybe toss a couple spares in psychometry eventually.
Work on the bows and RIfles tree and also grab the first skill or 2 from heavy weapons. You're mostly going to be going pew pew, lighting things on fire or chucking grenades.

Important recipes (low levels of psychometry will get you most of these): Salve Injector, thermal grenades, acid grenades (great wall opener), emp grenades, HE grenades, HE missile, carbine, pump shotgun, laser rifle, eigenrifle, chem cell, solar cell. The last few are for turrets, you might also want to learn some guns that use more common bits since I don't think you can get your guns back.

Anything that looks like it could kill you eats freezing hands. At higher levels this will take them out of the fight for many turns, early on it's just going to slow them down. Toss down some turrets if it looks like you might have a decent sized brawl on your hands, even short bows will work in a pinch. Be proactive with grenades, you should be able to make lots of mk I and mk II grenades.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Here's my last tinker build:

Thick Fur, Slime Glands and Night Vision are filler, the first and last pretty drat nice filler.

Put your mutation points in freezing hands first, then carapace, maybe toss a couple spares in psychometry eventually.
Work on the bows and RIfles tree and also grab the first skill or 2 from heavy weapons. You're mostly going to be going pew pew, lighting things on fire or chucking grenades.

Important recipes (low levels of psychometry will get you most of these): Salve Injector, thermal grenades, acid grenades (great wall opener), emp grenades, HE grenades, HE missile, carbine, pump shotgun, laser rifle, eigenrifle, chem cell, solar cell. The last few are for turrets, you might also want to learn some guns that use more common bits since I don't think you can get your guns back.

Anything that looks like it could kill you eats freezing hands. At higher levels this will take them out of the fight for many turns, early on it's just going to slow them down. Toss down some turrets if it looks like you might have a decent sized brawl on your hands, even short bows will work in a pinch. Be proactive with grenades, you should be able to make lots of mk I and mk II grenades.

this is really fun!

also I just paid $50 for what turned out to be a box of crayons, lmao

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

RickVoid posted:

Had some pretty good starts to runs lately. Found a backpack in Joppa on one run, and a borderlands revolver on another. The merchant carried glowstones a couple of times, which was pretty neat. Sadly, I'm still terrible at this game. At least the things that are killing me are named uniques now!

So I'm not afraid to say that lately I've been pretending this is a top down DBZ game. Esper Pilgrim with Light Manipulation, Teleportation, Psychometry (so I can save on Intelligence), Kindle, and Blinking Tic makes for a pretty convincing character. Now if only there was an Unarmed skill tree (or a mental version of the physical flight mutation)...

An unarmed skill tree would be awesome, as would be more cybernetics so you could turn a True Man character into a horrible mostly-machine abomination.

Also, it'd be nice if we could toggle auto-burrow on or off with burrowing claws, because as it stands they have interesting interactions with the force bubble mutation (i.e. you can't move).

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Spacetime Vortex doesn't kill enemies, it teleports them to Somewhere Very Far Away. Jumping in your own teleports you to a random place in a random tile on the worldmap. I'm not sure if the game tracks where Vortex'd enemies end up or just gets rid of them on the grounds that they are now on another continent, but either way its effect is to make them go away without killing them. It's a useful panic button. Works more like a Spacetime Hurricane with Temporal Fugue, but them's the breaks.

Yeah, it's always fun getting hit by it. I thought I was winning until I suddenly teleported to a cave 23 levels underground with no way of going upstairs! :stare: luckily I had my recoiler.

amuayse posted:

It feels more like Vance's Dying Earth or Wolfe's New Sun to me where there are some minor nation states kicking on amidst a world of decay. Qud just seems to be particularly wild since there are tons of killer robots and crazy mutants running around still despite it being many centuries after the supposed apocalypse.

I literally just finished New Sun and started on Tales of the Dying Earth and yeah, Caves of Qud is a great example of 'dying earth' fiction. One of my favourite parts is just the language, all the clever amalgam words that only give you a general idea of what they're actually referring to. I got the Canticles Chromatic off the preacher in Joppa and it was like christmas! I want to know what 'kasaphescence' is :saddowns:

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
If you're a Cogmind early supporter, Alpha 2 was just released. Here's a forum post showing off some of the more visually appealing additions:

http://www.gridsagegames.com/forums/index.php?topic=190.0

And from the patch notes, here's my personal favorite change:

quote:

Ramming robots collects a small random amount of matter from the debris for each collision

In other words, it'll be much harder to get into a situation where your parts are blown off, you have good stuff in your inventory, but you can't attach it cause you only have 5 matter. Just go ram some scrub.

e: lol the ADOM public release that dropped today has a show-stopping bug

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread.php/14114-ADOM-R58-is-now-available

Happylisk fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 20, 2015

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

ty to all!

just lost my best character so far, axe turtle with 4 arms + freezing hands; entered golgotha for the first time and was murdered by acid fumes in a conveyor belt. how distressing.

will try a tinker next!

Golgotha is basically a giant stack of different unexpected ways to die horribly (or be crippled horribly). The first time you clear it feels really satisfying, and when you finally "get it" and start being able to consistently get through it without getting killed or infected with something terrible, you know you're officially starting to Get Gud.

Then you go to the next dungeon and get completely clobbered again :saddowns: Qud's storyline dungeons don't gently caress around at all.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Angry Diplomat posted:

Golgotha is basically a giant stack of different unexpected ways to die horribly (or be crippled horribly). The first time you clear it feels really satisfying...

...and then you'll be wandering around the overworld a day or so later and your tongue falls out. :saddowns:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's Blightown, complete with the technical problems but somehow even worse.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
decided to hike over to the asphalt mines before trying golgotha again. are there supposed to be stairs around here somewhere? I can't find any - is this another thing where you need to search random tiles...?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

decided to hike over to the asphalt mines before trying golgotha again. are there supposed to be stairs around here somewhere? I can't find any - is this another thing where you need to search random tiles...?

The Asphalt Mines occasionally just fail to spawn the goddamn stairs for some reason. I haven't checked whether debug commands are still in Steamqud, but I think they are. If so, bind something to the "go one level down" debug command and use that to get in. It's pretty clearly a bug that a huge underground area is occasionally not possible to access because it forgot to have stairs, so debugging that bug does not strike me as cheating. It even has up stairs to go back to the surface; you just walk up them and find yourself standing on solid, stairless ground somewhere.

The alternative is to go underground on another map tile and tunnel all the way there, which sounds freaking miserable unless you have burrowing claws, or some other means of smashing walls and a lot of patience.

As far as I'm aware, the crack in Joppa is the only "searchable" hidden entrance. You can use searching to spot Young Ivories and the like in adjacent tiles, though. Mostly useful in a later dungeon when stuff like that starts to show up in clusters.

e: Qud crew please consider allowing high levels of Burrowing Claws to manually tunnel stairs downwards on some egregiously long cooldown, and perhaps even turn an adjacent wall tile into stairs upwards (while underground obviously, and also on a really long cooldown)

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 20, 2015

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Angry Diplomat posted:

e: Qud crew please consider allowing high levels of Burrowing Claws to manually tunnel stairs downwards on some egregiously long cooldown, and perhaps even turn an adjacent wall tile into stairs upwards (while underground obviously, and also on a really long cooldown)

Tunneling down is near the top of our backlog. It'll probably be horribly exploitable, but hey :shrug:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Asphalt Mines occasionally just fail to spawn the goddamn stairs for some reason. I haven't checked whether debug commands are still in Steamqud, but I think they are. If so, bind something to the "go one level down" debug command and use that to get in. It's pretty clearly a bug that a huge underground area is occasionally not possible to access because it forgot to have stairs, so debugging that bug does not strike me as cheating. It even has up stairs to go back to the surface; you just walk up them and find yourself standing on solid, stairless ground somewhere.

Done. Thanks!

Results thus far:

:)

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Qud:

Fail to tinker due to missing scrap should list the scrap you need, not the totality of scrap you're carrying.

Colors of scrap should differ more.

Data Disks should tell you the level of the recipe so you're not blowing everything you have on a disk you can't craft.

Are there game benefits on items that are not listed in the item description? For instance, the vinewood sap mask. It sells for a fair amount, but it has no stats. Is there any point in equipping armor items that give no stats, armor or evasion bonus? It just seems like weight penalty for no benefit.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Are there game benefits on items that are not listed in the item description? For instance, the vinewood sap mask. It sells for a fair amount, but it has no stats. Is there any point in equipping armor items that give no stats, armor or evasion bonus? It just seems like weight penalty for no benefit.

DV/AV are the only things listed in the item name, but if you look at it there's often more; vinewood sap masks, for example, have a small amount of poison resistance, while knollworm skulls give an Ego bonus.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Qud:

Fail to tinker due to missing scrap should list the scrap you need, not the totality of scrap you're carrying.

Colors of scrap should differ more.

Data Disks should tell you the level of the recipe so you're not blowing everything you have on a disk you can't craft.

I think the vinewood sap mask gives you protection from gas, but I don't remember where I learned that.

EFB like a new character trying to play with an Equimax

Dongsturm fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 20, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh Qud. Getting further in this game appears to be something that wild horses are capable of keeping me away from.

Accidentally lasered one last night while trying to shoot a boar. He didn't appreciate it.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

ToxicFrog posted:

vinewood sap masks, for example, have a small amount of poison resistance

The flavor text says it helps, but it has no stat bonus. However, things that give cold bonus resist actually have that stat bonus. The inconsistencies are really annoying.

quote:

, while knollworm skulls give an Ego bonus.

Yep, and river sandals give +5 movement.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Angry Diplomat posted:

... you know you're officially starting to Qet Qud.

Fixed that for you.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

PleasingFungus posted:

Done. Thanks!

Results thus far:

:)

That's a decent find. Keep going deeper and you'll start to find some real loot :getin:

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

The flavor text says it helps, but it has no stat bonus. However, things that give cold bonus resist actually have that stat bonus. The inconsistencies are really annoying.

Poison isn't an element and doesn't show up in your resistances, but I'm pretty sure the mask actually does block poison gas. I was wearing one and walked through a hermit's poison grenade with no ill effect.

The reason for cold resistance having a numerical value is because that's a percentage, and multiple sources apply additively to produce your total cold resist out of 100. The effect is extremely noticeable in a certain very cold dungeon, or when fighting ice toads. I guess poison could probably be hacked into a percentage resist in the same way, but as far as I know, there's a single skill and a single head-slot item that makes you resistant to poison (in different ways, I believe) and that's it, so I don't know if it would be worth the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stop talking about qud cool stuff, I've been trying to resist until the storyline is completed for ages now :mad:

And on a different note, I tried ADOM and the UI is just ughhhhhhh. Also still feels like basically the same game, I guess I didn't play it enough to see everything new they've been working on for the last however long?