Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

Ernie. posted:

unfortunately the medical side of any field tangentially related to mental health is rotten from the bottom up. we need to start with the change on a social level to stop stigmatizing and complicating mental health understanding. obama's brain initiative is a step. we'll improve. :shobon:

In this post I paste that comic about if physical injuries were treated like mental illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ernie. posted:

what do you think of bill burr, keane?

i saw a set of his today and he was incredibly transphobic and sexist. he kept making jokes about how people who are criticizing him are entitled. he was funny away from those jokes but quite a few people heckled him today. one even said 'It's SHE' when he was making fun of Caitlyn Jenner and another immediately followed up with 'it's SHE and this is ottawa' (i.e. we're quite socially progressive) and i half agreed with them and i don't know what to think.

I also feel conflicted about him. His funny stuff is funny but he can be really offensive, but the unfunny offensive stuff doesn't make the funny stuff less funny, so I still laugh at it. I don't think I'd support him by going to see his show, but I may giggle at a joke I see on youtube.

I saw Louis CK in Ottawa a while back and he was hilarious as always. I haven't seen a lot of the material he did online though, so I don't know if it ever made it into one of his specials. There was a couple of jokes about driving and horn honking that had me laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. I think it's amazing that he constantly is coming up with new material.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
The Cult in Pinetop has ended in a Cult Victory.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

WHICH WAY MADNESS posted:

In this post I paste that comic about if physical injuries were treated like mental illness.

I wish people could embrace the idea of "mental injury" rather than illness for stuff like grief and trauma and even adolescence. It sucks that we're like aaaalmost there, but stop short at illness and try comparing it to diabetes rather than a broken leg or stab wound that could conceivably heal.

On comedians, I watched the Chelsea Peretti special that's on Netflix right now and it was so perfect. It was everything I wanted.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Ernie. posted:

I don't think hes popular in philly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnkDjMVJqE

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Ernie. posted:

i saw a set of his today and he was incredibly transphobic and sexist. he kept making jokes about how people who are criticizing him are entitled. he was funny away from those jokes but quite a few people heckled him today. one even said 'It's SHE' when he was making fun of Caitlyn Jenner and another immediately followed up with 'it's SHE and this is ottawa' (i.e. we're quite socially progressive) and i half agreed with them and i don't know what to think.

I can't say I've heard much of his stuff, he is not exactly the style I typically listen to.

Again, I don't like heckling generally, and in stuff like this it is hard to figure out what to think because all of the hecklers were right in calling him out. I think this is an example of the less rude thing. Heckling is a strong enough action that it generally shouldn't be done if it can be avoided (and, kind of frankly, I am surprised people would be shocked at Bill Burr for this, since he does have that reputation), but crossing a line against a marginalized class is always terrible.

I think my stance on this case is that heckling is still bad (compared to leaving), but the bigger rear end in a top hat is still Bill Burr, so whatever, it's a wash.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Also everyone should check out Eugene Mirman on Netflix, I love his stuff and he seems like a pretty sweet guy.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

Also everyone should check out Eugene Mirman on Netflix, I love his stuff and he seems like a pretty sweet guy.

Eugene Mirman is awesome. He does a voice on Bob's Burgers as well which is a great show

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Please resurrect George Carlin.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

JakeP posted:

I don't think hes popular in philly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnkDjMVJqE

The story behind this was all the performers that went on before him basically all got heckled off the stage so he decided to not do his act when he went up and instead just did what you see in the video.

Most of it is pretty funny though, and by the end the crowd has quieted down quite a lot.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Also I didn't realize there were other games recruiting other than Bottle's Vanilla game when I posted mine because they weren't on votefinder. Sorry!!

(that game is here!!!)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Look Under The Rock posted:

I would really like to talk to you about it.

Also with the Keane-Ernie sides of things there, here's where I fall: I think the pharmaceutical industry is incredibly important. I think curing diseases and treating people who are suffering is incredibly important. The biggest problem is with psych drugs being marketed directly to the consumer + Americans being far more willing to just take a pill to try and make their problems go away than actually deal with trauma or lifestyle changes that will actually help with mental illness. Couple that with the fact that there are so many people in the system and diagnostic lines are arbitrarily drawn around self-reported symptoms and you have a rapidly increasing number of people disabled by mental illness who will be on drugs for the rest of their life even if they didn't originally need them and you get why I feel this is such an important issue.

Basically it's specifically pharma+ mental health industry that needs to be fixed.

The last time I saw my doctor, she gave me this form and told me that they're having all patients fill it out. It's copyrighted by Pfizer, and I can't think of any reason for a medical practice to give it to all patients unless they were purposely trying to prescribe more antidepressants / book more psych appointments. The fact that medical professionals can do this with a straight face makes me sick.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Murmur Twin posted:

The last time I saw my doctor, she gave me this form and told me that they're having all patients fill it out. It's copyrighted by Pfizer, and I can't think of any reason for a medical practice to give it to all patients unless they were purposely trying to prescribe more antidepressants / book more psych appointments. The fact that medical professionals can do this with a straight face makes me sick.

haha it goes directly from 'not at all' to 'several days' holy wow

this is how you end up with a statistic that says 'More than half of mental health clinics patients' illnesses affected their sleep, energy or appetite more than once a week'!!!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Gallant posted:

The story behind this was all the performers that went on before him basically all got heckled off the stage so he decided to not do his act when he went up and instead just did what you see in the video.

Most of it is pretty funny though, and by the end the crowd has quieted down quite a lot.

no one even gets upset until he poo poo talks the Eagles

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Murmur Twin posted:

Wow. I was given two depression screenings earlier this year because apparently there is some kind of law relating to insurance now that says when you see each healthcare provider after x amount of time they are required to screen you. It did not sit right to be given a mental health screening by the nurse in my gynecologist's office; I tried to decline and was told that they could "take steps" in that case (I assume that they must decide that means you're a danger to yourself or others? Because that's the only reason for any sort of involuntary treatment, right?). I probably should have guessed that Pfizer part.

But yeah it's an attempt to create more consumers and initiatives like that are part of why just changing the direct to consumer ads is only one step in fixing things. NAMI did an awareness week last year and had an online self diagnosis site and I took the test for kicks and giggles, came out with an unofficial diagnosis of severe depression with suicide risk and an eating disorder. I didn't try to throw the test; I took it during the emotional slump that always follows closing night of a show. I wonder who sponsored that one.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Also lol 2-5 could be symptoms of working a poo poo job full time or having a child or grieving but nope you gots the depression, I bet Paxil could fix that.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Found my missing wedding ring this morning and a Whataburger is opening today a short drive away. Everything's coming up chaoslord :toot:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Also lol 2-5 could be symptoms of working a poo poo job full time or having a child or grieving but nope you gots the depression, I bet Paxil could fix that.

Parentage/poo poo job = depression, actually. In either case you're supposed to mitigate the depression by thinking of the benefit (helping someone discover the world the best way you can/keeping the lights on) but they both largely suck despite what you might hear. The thing that's overblown is the impact of depression; I would wager that there are a huge number of fully functioning depressed folk out there. Its impact comes down to an individual's inner strength and all that jazz.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Welp it was nice being home for two days BACK TO VACATIONS

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

chaoslord posted:

Found my missing wedding ring this morning and a Whataburger is opening today a short drive away. Everything's coming up chaoslord :toot:

Hooray chaoslord!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I am happy for you chaoslord. I am jealous of your Whataburger, as the two we had here closed 4-5 years ago.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Whataburger is ok.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

The best fast food hamburger is bareburger (all hamburgers are fast food)

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
We've been talking about medication and depression this morning at work.

Evidently all of my colleagues, including myself, are at least moderately depressed according to that questionnaire. What a crock of poo poo.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I started playing a game called Pillars of Eternity today.

It's like a mix of Baldur's Gate and an interactive novel.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

I started playing a game today too.

It is called "Jagged Alliance 2", I just started a new game, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

CCKeane fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 20, 2015

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CCKeane posted:

I started playing a game today too.

It is called "Jagged Alliance 2", I just started a new game, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

So what like a strategy game about taking down a dictator?

Thats a weird game.

CapitalistPig fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 20, 2015

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

So what like a game about me in victorian steampunk era?

Thats a weird game.

Er, no, it's a strategy game where you lead mercenaries on a mission to take back a country from a dictator.

Are you feeling okay, Cpig?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

CCKeane posted:

Er, no, it's a strategy game where you lead mercenaries on a mission to take back a country from a dictator.

Are you feeling okay, Cpig?

whatchoo talkin bout willis?

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.

chaoslord posted:

:hfive:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I like that questionnaire because I was depressed for months this year and has some counselling to try to get out of it. Looking at that though I wouldn't even qualify for mildly depressed now.

That makes me feel good.

Questionnaires aren't evil, it's what you do with them. If you use that as a starting point to see where someone is at before you start counselling which may lead to medication that's fine. If you use this as the one and only diagnostic tool before putting someone on reoccurring medication with no followup or stop date then that's where the problems come in.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

For that to be anywhere near a sound screening tool there needs to be an extra question to the effect of "has anything happened in your life lately that may cause these feelings"

Emotions don't exist in a vacuum and the majority of people I know who have literally been diagnosed with a biological brain illness could have just as easily been diagnosed with "oh so you were sexually assaulted/your dad was kidnapped/you had mono for a year/you lost your job/you went through a bad breakup/you're experiencing puberty/your friends are assholes/you were raised in a religious system that you've never questioned but that doesn't fit with how you see the world/you have a chronic pain issue/your sister is terminally ill/you are dealing with consequences of bad life decisions/you want to play sports but have severe asthma/you are in love with someone who doesn't have feelings for you..."

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

whatchoo talkin bout willis?

I see you've played thus game before.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CapitalistPig posted:

me and imgay were playing that coop online, and played for a bunch of hours, then I forgot to save for a while, and accidently stole something and the whole town killed us

we never got back into it

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

For that to be anywhere near a sound screening tool there needs to be an extra question to the effect of "has anything happened in your life lately that may cause these feelings"

Emotions don't exist in a vacuum and the majority of people I know who have literally been diagnosed with a biological brain illness could have just as easily been diagnosed with "oh so you were sexually assaulted/your dad was kidnapped/you had mono for a year/you lost your job/you went through a bad breakup/you're experiencing puberty/your friends are assholes/you were raised in a religious system that you've never questioned but that doesn't fit with how you see the world/you have a chronic pain issue/your sister is terminally ill/you are dealing with consequences of bad life decisions/you want to play sports but have severe asthma/you are in love with someone who doesn't have feelings for you..."

Where do you draw the line between "you're having a bad run lately" and "your brain now needs help chemically righting itself"? I think one leads into the other generally. Do I think doctors try to push pills on people who don't need them? Yeah, I definitely do. Do I think it's easy to tell if someone is depressed? Hell no.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

After all my poo poo this year I got really bad so I started running/going to the gym again and taking Prozac. The Prozac didn't seem to anything but make me nauseous, while a day without exercise makes a noticeable difference to my mood.
By far the biggest issue with the pharmaceutical companies is marketing to people directly. The doctor went to medical school and I did not,mom not going to go in and tell them what I want, I'm going to tell them what's wrong with me and have the recommend things.i guess it's different in Canada though

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
smoke weed

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

JakeP posted:

smoke weed

pretty much this

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'd say one of the bigger issues is questionable compliance to cGMP but that is a very boring issue that only has meaning to sausage makers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

JakeP posted:

smoke weed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHwyca7gu7E