Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You dont get any happiness as a cannibal from eating one, proving that fetuses arent people. :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SynthOrange posted:

You dont get any happiness as a cannibal from eating one, proving that fetuses arent people. :can:

Aren't they actually just listed as an eatable misc item?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've just welded a random bit of scrap metal from a locker to my katana to make it sharper. Take that, Zen blacksmith masters who meditate under a waterfall for 6 weeks before forging.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

I've just welded a random bit of scrap metal from a locker to my katana to make it sharper. Take that, Zen blacksmith masters who meditate under a waterfall for 6 weeks before forging.

Joke's on you, they know the ancient secret of welding two random bits of scrap metal onto it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
seriously tho modern steel shits all over medieval steel no matter how many times its folded.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

seriously tho modern steel shits all over medieval steel no matter how many times its folded.

That's why my katana is made out a chunk of car (plus a curtain rod for the hilt and someone's shoes for the wrapping).

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 20, 2015

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

The great secret of hanzo steel is literally "use what we've got layin' around because that's the best we've got" so I'd say that's pretty much on point :v:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I didn't use the vehicle addons pack for my current game because the last time I did, it crashed constantly which I think was caused by some kind of bug in one of the items (it happened only when the addon was active, and only when I approached certain vehicles). Have people had luck with the mod with the current experimentals? If so I'd love to start using it again.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on vehicles, please? I'm right down in the middle of a city and I'm getting bored. I don't need to build a tank right now, just something with a big trunk and durable so I can move to a more interesting area.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Fat Samurai posted:

Can anyone give me a quick rundown on vehicles, please? I'm right down in the middle of a city and I'm getting bored. I don't need to build a tank right now, just something with a big trunk and durable so I can move to a more interesting area.

Ambulances are fantastic from personal experience, as well as the trucks with the cargo holders in the back.

RVs are nice but they are unwieldy to say the least. As ar APCs, but they come with good free armor...but are also ugly.

Solar vehicles are nice though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I've been using just plain Jane cars, honestly. They are actually more reliable than solar vehicles in my experience, since you can't count on solar cells to charge a battery when they're not inside your reality bubble. By contrast, if I siphon a dozen cars with 2-4% gas, I've got more fuel than I will need for weeks and it is not going anywhere. The trunk holds 1300 volume by default, which is more than enough for a mid game character who cares most about building up big surpluses of canned and preserved food so they can go on reading or skill up binges.

It still makes a lot of sense to use a solar rig on an end game vehicle just because you can build it with the appropriate parts and materials from the start, but for moving from a townie that is plundering the local area to a road warrior that is blowing into town to look for a few critical resources before blowing out again, just grab a car. They're perfectly sufficient, easy to find, and REPLACEABLE. If you gently caress up and crash there is probably another car just down the road a piece that will serve just fine. Just siphon the fuel out into the other car, use the advanced inventory to move poo poo from trunk to trunk, and drive off again.

For a death mobile that you can set up correctly from the start, I would still go with a solar rig just because it frees you from having to ever worry about energy. But your standard electric car is set up pretty poorly and half of its cells are usually toasted anyway.

Ideally it would be possible to set up an efficient hybrid thing where you can have a gas tank simply charge a battery, to supplement a solar array, but I am not clear on if that is possible.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Ideally it would be possible to set up an efficient hybrid thing where you can have a gas tank simply charge a battery, to supplement a solar array, but I am not clear on if that is possible.

It's possible but it takes 8 mechanics to install the second engine. And you give up an advantage of solar vehicles which is no gas tanks to explode. I like to install a massive array of storage batteries, run on gas or diesel while they charge, then fully transition to electric when they're full.

Fat Samurai posted:

The best cars are frankensteined together from multiple other cars. Doesn't have to be complicated. Find a working or almost working car and replace the seats/trunks with some other vehicle's cargo carriers.

I like the SWAT Van as a starter vehicle. It has a heavy duty frame and reinforced windshield, it comes with armor you can actually repair with a sane skill level, and there's plenty of room in the back for cargo carriers. My current ride is one of those. I just patched up all the damage, replaced the back with a shitload of cargo carriers, and slapped in an RV kitchen unit.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

if you don't super-reinforce a mack truck and then break it by running over bushes and cougars i just don't know what to tell you

e: but seriously if you're just starting out, take an existing vehicle and adapt/repair it. don't try and make your own device yet.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Also, if you blow into a new town with your awesome Mystery Van, park it on the outskirts and grab a not-quite-wreck that's littering up the roads. Play demoltion derby for a while until it cannot move anymore. Your joyride typically will have taken you away from the main path through the town, thus two great things have been accomplished: the first is you've cleared off a group of zombies and the second is the main drag has one less vehicle to maneuver around.

Also wrecking things is hilariously fun, particularly when you aren't risking your built up vehicle filled with goodies.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the answers. Found an almost intact RV, had to replace a tire but made it to a pump. It was nightime, so I didn't notice the tank was leaking until I drove it back :suicide:

Any way to charge batteries easily? They are at 1%

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Change batteries! Jack a better battery from a wreck and replace it, requiring a minimal investment in Mechanics only. That or attach the car/truck battery to a solar array and let the sun slowly build the charge up for you.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
If the alternator's in good shape and the fuel leak hasn't drained you dry, just leave the motor running overnight. You can also charge a car battery by finding it and hitting refill with batteries in your inventory. It will take ALL the batteries you're holding, though, so maybe drop the ones you want to keep for your flashlight and whatnot.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

Change batteries! Jack a better battery from a wreck and replace it, requiring a minimal investment in Mechanics only. That or attach the car/truck battery to a solar array and let the sun slowly build the charge up for you.

Yup just yank a fuller battery out of another car. Or if you're full on gas you can leave your car's engine on whenever possible. This will slowly charge up your battery. Get a truck alternator from somewhere and replace yours with it to speed up the process at the cost of a little speed.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I must have the worst luck with vehicles, never been able to get one going. Either I find some viable wreckage but don't have any tools, or find the tools but poo poo all for parts. I just wanna recreate Carmageddon dammit!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, unfortunately you can't reliably focus on vehicles as a character goal, so much as a protracted side project. It shouldn't be too hard to find a beater cube van or solar vehicle or something that runs and can be fueled up, but from there fully tricking it out is a long-term task, requiring you to disassemble lots of other vehicles, find or make several rare-ish parts (which may in turn mean finding several books), and you've got to survive roaming around the entire time.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Even making survivor gear is like that really - you need to be willing to settle for extra sturdy hoodies and cargo pants for a long while as you explore restlessly, hoping to find the Kevlar you need to make it work.

On a somewhat related note, is padding stuff with leather/Kevlar a good idea? I've padded a number of things with leather at this point and while it claims it's been reinforced, I've yet to see that borne out in the numbers.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Even making survivor gear is like that really - you need to be willing to settle for extra sturdy hoodies and cargo pants for a long while as you explore restlessly, hoping to find the Kevlar you need to make it work.

On a somewhat related note, is padding stuff with leather/Kevlar a good idea? I've padded a number of things with leather at this point and while it claims it's been reinforced, I've yet to see that borne out in the numbers.

Kevlar isn't too hard to find. Butcher the clothes on firefighters, soldiers, and Z-9s and you'll be swimming in kevlar patches. As far as using it for reinforcement that depends on what version you're playing. On 0.C yes absolutely kevlar up your gear. It adds a few points of protection with maybe added weight as a downside. On the dev versions kevlar reinforcement increases encumbrance so it's more of a tradeoff. Definitely worth padding your helmet though.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Combat boots are a good source. Repair them with leather patches for free bonus kevlar when you cut them up!

You don't need that much for a full set of gear.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I know a lot of the trade off mutations aren't really all that great, but huge seems to a ridiculously terrible deal. Too big for anything but the XL clothes AND I can't drive anymore for +4 strength?

it could double my health and I'd call that horrible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This is the gooniest loving deathmobile. I replaced my seat with a bed.

Then flew out the window in a crash when I forgot to put any seatbelts on.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks for the answers. Found an almost intact RV, had to replace a tire but made it to a pump. It was nightime, so I didn't notice the tank was leaking until I drove it back :suicide:

Any way to charge batteries easily? They are at 1%

Just keep it running, unless the alternator's broken. It'll charge itself!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Is there a way to activate a mod in an existing world or do you have to generate a new one?

Also why do all these shrews wanna get in my deathcar

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Is there a way to activate a mod in an existing world or do you have to generate a new one?

You need to go into 'save', then 'worldname'* and edit mods.json. The easiest way to do this is to start a new world with the mods you want, then copy the mods.json across.

* Each world is a seperate directory inside 'save', named the same as the world.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I have just topped up a RV with 4 trunks of 650 space. I may need those 500 rags and 20 guns* where I'm going, don't judge me.

*My character doesn't have any gun skills yet.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm gonna judge you, but mostly for not replacing those trunks with cargo carriers.

This game is an excellent way to roleplay being a post-apocalyptic hoarder. What's that you say? Almost everything I own runs off UPS now? Well, whatever, I'm sure those 30 000 units of battery are good for something, better keep'em around.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm gonna judge you, but mostly for not replacing those trunks with cargo carriers.

This game is an excellent way to roleplay being a post-apocalyptic hoarder. What's that you say? Almost everything I own runs off UPS now? Well, whatever, I'm sure those 30 000 units of battery are good for something, better keep'em around.

They are, you can use them to emergency-recharge a car battery! :science:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
You'd probably save more weight just carrying around an extra charged car battery, honestly. :v:

In other news, due to a COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE accident involving broken plutonium cells and aspirin withdrawal on a teetotaller character, I barely survived returning to my home base, where radiation and drug addiction broke all my limbs...somehow. I do have a cleared-out Hospital nearby, so it should be easy enough to use The Treatment to get things patched up, but it's pretty funny that I had to spend a couple of days continually crafting and applying drugs, bandages, and first aid to keep myself alive while I overcame my crippling Aspirin addiction and broke all my bones while purging radiation....SOMEHOW.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I don't think aspirin is supposed to be addictive.

Either you've run into one hell of a bug, or you've been munching on something else by accident.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, I did look it up, and, supposedly, all low-level painkillers should be non-addictive. It's possible I accidentally took a dose of something else, but it would be a bit surprising, as I wasn't carrying any other painkillers. That said, my character's symptoms began before finding the broken plutonium canisters, and the similarity in symptoms complicated diagnosis until I mutated rough skin and realized the stupid, stupid, stupid thing I'd done.

In hindsight, since it didn't show up as a symptom on my character page, I guess I must have been irradiated from other source before I made things much, much worse by driving around with some exposed plutonium in the car. I don't know WHAT irradiated me first, as the nearest craters were several map tiles away, but I was attacked by hazmat zombies during my convalescence, so there may have been something nearby.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp found a barrel of whiskey in this basement filled with 2800 drinks.

Thats enough for 200 molotov cocktails. :supaburn:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SynthOrange posted:

Welp found a barrel of whiskey in this basement filled with 2800 drinks.

Thats enough for 200 molotov cocktails. :supaburn:

Let the world burn.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's never a problem of finding alcohol, it's scrounging up enough glass bottles. poo poo's like gold at low-level.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Barrels of Whiskey are godsends for me now that I've got an ethanol burner, a blood filter, and a chain lightning CBM... :)

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
So what you're saying is you've become Bender, God of Thunder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

So what you're saying is you've become Bender, God of Thunder?

Complete with Chest Storage Unit CBM, no less.