Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
I wasn't really looking for a large RV. But, my friends dad had a 1975 Dodge Travco 270 parked for 4 years and needed to find a new home quickly as they were losing their free storage on some farmland out of town.

Everything was replaced or rebuilt about 4-8 years ago. From the tires to the dual rooftop air conditioners. Brakes, suspension, steering, generator, electrical, new water heater, carpet, refinished the mahogany interior. Added color backup cameras too. Dodge 440 Industrial engine with replaced accessories top to bottom. They preferred that it goes to someone who will take care of it. So the deal was awesome for me. Sitting for 4 years took a toll on all the systems though...

10 gallons of gas and it fired right up. Managed to fill the inside with thick smoke as we had the floor off and oil from sitting was burning off of the headers. Was sunk in holes from sitting and a front tire was flat and off the bead. Had to give it a large pull with a pickup and strap. Took 4 hours to fix the un-seated tire. NOT split-rims at least.

Drove it 18 miles home that night. All the lights work and drives straight and tight. Needs rear brake work. One rear cylinder is leaking after being replaced a few years ago and sitting. Can get locally at a local heavy truck shop or through NAPA I guess. Probably take a good evening to install it though. She will do 65-70 if pushed. New 4 barrel carb with headers and dual exhaust. Runs crazy strong. Was claimed to get 9 to 10MPG all day long. LOL

It's like driving a house. 15,000 pounds of fiberglass and steel with a huge wrap-around panoramic windshield that is just about impossible to replace. Quite the experience to drive.

I will hopefully be updating with pictures of my progress as I clean and update the old girl.

Plans are to re-paint sometime, as the original gelcoat is pretty thin and gone in places. Fix/clean up the 12V electrical systems and replace as many bulbs with LEDs as I can. Maybe replace BOTH rooftop A/Cs with one that is more efficient with a heat strip. And freshen up the inside.

Will be tackling the rear wheel cylinder tonight after work. I will try to post pics and what I find.. Never worked on this large of a brake system before.

Front pic added. Notice the awesome "Trinitron" monitor for the backup cameras. X10 wireless cams of course. Since pulled and will be updated to LCD.

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

THAT is an awesome thing. The dual roof A/C units really grab your attention. But the air horns... they distract from a really clean looking side!

Where are the interior and wiring dungeon pictures?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So what does one of these cost? I'd love to buy one, stuff two race bikes + dirtbike in the back, and drive around the US. That's living the dream.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

meatpimp posted:

THAT is an awesome thing. The dual roof A/C units really grab your attention. But the air horns... they distract from a really clean looking side!

Where are the interior and wiring dungeon pictures?

Interior pics turned out waaay to dark when I took the first ones in the field.. I have added some new LED lighting inside so maybe this evening I will get some shots between brake work.

I will try to post some of the interesting wiring also.

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 20, 2015

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

So what does one of these cost? I'd love to buy one, stuff two race bikes + dirtbike in the back, and drive around the US. That's living the dream.

I didn't pay much at all for this one. But, a running and driving Travco fetches a premium I guess as they are collectable. County booked mine at 10K as-is. Tires alone are $250 each from my brother-in-laws tire business. Ouch.. 19.5 inch rims.

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 20, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That thing is pretty sweet, not gonna lie. What's the inside look like?

Propane fridge?

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That thing is pretty sweet, not gonna lie. What's the inside look like?

Propane fridge?

Fridge was replaced with a standard 110v "dorm" fridge. It had a 3 way originally (LP/12/110) but was damaged with the Onan Genset forgot what 110-120V was and decided that 165/330V was the new standard. Took out both rooftop units also. Luckily the guy I got it froms family is in the HVAC business so both rooftop units got new compressors and motors.

I have since fixed the governor on the genset and plugged in a digital Kill-A-Watt meter I had laying around in the "Power Center". Before the main breaker gets thrown, I ALWAYS check the voltage. I set it to 117 on each leg. So far so good.

Slack3r fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 20, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This thing is amazing.

Don Baylor
Oct 24, 2005
I love 60-70's RV's and campers. I want to see the inside so bad.:munch:

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.
Wow. I thought those GMC motorhomes were the only cool RV's, but now I see this... Wow. I can't wait to see more!

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Ok.. Managed to find the leaky wheel cylinder. Floating axles are interesting. Been a while since I pulled one. I also need a new jack. Then 12Ton bottle jack that came with the Travco takes forever to pump up and tends to leak down. Ugh. I have the axle supported with 10x10 solid oak blocks. It's not going anywhere.

Had to use the floorjack to help me remove the drum. Must weigh about 100 pounds plus.. Gonna be fun throwing it back on...

The rear drum brake setup. Cylinders on top and bottom. Read on the Travco forums that the adjusters are very spendy and hard to locate. I freed up the upper one and will work on the bottom one tomorrow. Copper antiseize will be applied on everything that moves once all are clean.

Here is the leaking cylinder. I can see why the PO didn't replace it. The bolts that hold it in are right up against the massive leaf pack. Not much room to get in there. Took a bit of swearing, but I finally won! Putting the new one in should be interesting.. Doesn't appear "rebuilt" as the PO claimed. It has all new brake lines and 2 new rear boosters though! :)

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
Alright. Here are some interior pictures.

Drivers seat and dash view. As seen when entering. I guess the PO recovered all the seats, the wall boards, and upholstery himself. Drivers seat needs some attention to the rear bolts. Missing some nuts so it's a bit interesting.

Walking back and viewing forward. Cool hardwood table and small bench seat. Not original. Can see main couch on the left behind drivers seat. Took the dogs to the river the other day so excuse the sheet.

View from the front to the rear. Can see the "kitchen" area on the left. Rear dinette/bed in the rear.. Replacement 110V fridge on the right in the foreground. Had my water in there the other day. Works great!

Dual sinks. Hot and cold water. PO replaced the water heater with a new one. Will post picks of the water setup tomorrow if I get time.

Main electrical "closet".. Dont know where the door went. Will be making a new one. PO added 2 huge 12V deep cycle batteries and a 3KW Power inverter. Cant run the generator after like 9PM in state parks. Could run a TV or the microwave I guess. Removing the broken batteries. Keeping the inverter for another project.

View from the rear dinette area. I know.. It needs a good cleaning still.

BONUS: 1 DIRTY Dodge 440 Industrial motor. PO installed headers, true dual exhaust (loud.. Getting mufflers), all accessories were replaced. Yep, the A/C works. The industrial 440s are a strange beast. Wacky heads with added water ports, high flow water pump and crazy low compression ratio. Low 8:1 or high 7s. Crazy. All mated to a ChryCo 727.

Another shot of the dirty 440. Will be getting a bath SOOON. Will tarp the whole shebang and hit it with degreaser and pressure washer. Should clean up nicely.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Needs more diesel :colbert:

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Needs more diesel :colbert:

Yes.... Yes it does.. Early 90s Cummins will drop right in the engine mounts. Fabrication time for the trans tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvHmysfAqeA

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slack3r posted:

Yes.... Yes it does.. Early 90s Cummins will drop right in the engine mounts. Fabrication time for the trans tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvHmysfAqeA

Do it, it'll move like a beast, and improve the fuel efficiency immensely.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Do it, it'll move like a beast, and improve the fuel efficiency immensely.

Lemme finish the basic repairs and body updates.. :) Maybe this winter I will start looking for a donor Dodge diesel.. Depends on the budget and the wife.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
gently caress that noise, the 440 has a stupid low compression ratio. It's practically screaming to be boosted with a gently caress off huge blower. Sure, it may not fit under the doghouse, but some concessions must be made in the name of Power. Also you could just keep a squeeze bottle of nitro-methane on the dash, for when you really need to pass somebody in a hurry. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

gently caress that noise, the 440 has a stupid low compression ratio. It's practically screaming to be boosted with a gently caress off huge blower. Sure, it may not fit under the doghouse, but some concessions must be made in the name of Power. Also you could just keep a squeeze bottle of nitro-methane on the dash, for when you really need to pass somebody in a hurry. :v:

You want something that can cross long distance with decent fuel mileage. Its not a race car, its a long haul machine ;). Not to mention, the Cummins is going to give better torque and power with less boost.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

Its not a race car,

I'm not sure i understand

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

I'm not sure i understand

The Cummins will race just fine, and still have enough fuel to get him there.

And parts availability second to none.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

You want something that can cross long distance with decent fuel mileage. Its not a race car, its a long haul machine ;). Not to mention, the Cummins is going to give better torque and power with less boost.

Yeah, because that was a totally 100% serious post :rolleyes:

Of-loving-course a Cummins swap makes the most sense.

btw OP, your motorhome is super awesome and I'm looking forward to more updates, whatever path you choose.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah, because that was a totally 100% serious post :rolleyes:

Sorry, I'm oblivious to sarcasm :doh:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Get in touch with doccers and go full Urban Assault Vehicle on that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Terrible Robot posted:

The Roadkill lads would approve of this post

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That's awesome as frig, but doesn't the fuel consumption rule out any serious road tripping?

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

bolind posted:

That's awesome as frig, but doesn't the fuel consumption rule out any serious road tripping?

I don't think that is out of line with motorhome fuel economy. My grandparent's 84 coachman with a Ford 460 gets 5-7 mpg depending on wind direction. He has a bumper sticker that says "It may be lousy mileage for a car but it's great for a house!" I doubt any full size motorhomes are getting over 10 mpg unless you look at new ones.

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004

bolind posted:

70 gallon tank. At current gas prices locally it will run just over $200 to fill with non-ethanol gas.. Figure 7MPG. 350 miles between fills. lol. Not counting generator fuel usage. I run the Onan and the rear rooftop A/C when driving around if it's hot out.

I am planning on staying around the area mostly. Maybe head West to the Black Hills next year. With a hotel room running in the $125 to $180 range during the peak tourist season, a weeks stay in the Travco would easily cover some or all of the gas costs.

I can also drag the motorcycles around on the trailer so that's a plus.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
On the trailer?? You could carry a teenage bike gang's moped collection in that thing!

Slack3r
Feb 20, 2004
PO had a nice hitch installed. I guess he towed a large toy-hauler around too. I have a 10x5 trailer that I haul the 'cycles around with.

Brake update:

Unable to find a rear wheel cylinder locally today. Local large brake shop where the other parts were purchased from 5 years ago decided it was too difficult to look poo poo up during lunch hour.

Local NAPA was able to order new cylinder for $19.00. ETA is tomorrow AM. I can find other things to fix tonight I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Awesome! I would love a camper but I just don't have the time to use it.

NAPA is going to be your go to place for parts. I never had any luck with any others, maybe Carquest. Don't even bother with autozone.

• Locked thread