Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
My understanding is that he's mostly "fixed" a bunch of exploits, some legitimate bugs, and added tiles. Maybe a new race or class? Dunno, ADOM has been my Duke Nukem Forever for, well, forever. I'd stopped beleiving we'd ever get a real update a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Qud:

Fail to tinker due to missing scrap should list the scrap you need, not the totality of scrap you're carrying.

Colors of scrap should differ more.

Data Disks should tell you the level of the recipe so you're not blowing everything you have on a disk you can't craft.

Are there game benefits on items that are not listed in the item description? For instance, the vinewood sap mask. It sells for a fair amount, but it has no stats. Is there any point in equipping armor items that give no stats, armor or evasion bonus? It just seems like weight penalty for no benefit.

There's an option to replace the bit dots with letters and numbers. It's billed as a colorblind option but it really should just be the default.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RickVoid posted:

Oh Qud. Getting further in this game appears to be something that wild horses are capable of keeping me away from.

Accidentally lasered one last night while trying to shoot a boar. He didn't appreciate it.

If you have freezing hands 3 and something on par with a bronze 2 handed sword you can murder them for their sweet sweet 350 xp.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

RickVoid posted:

My understanding is that he's mostly "fixed" a bunch of exploits, some legitimate bugs, and added tiles. Maybe a new race or class? Dunno, ADOM has been my Duke Nukem Forever for, well, forever. I'd stopped beleiving we'd ever get a real update a long time ago.

Two new races and classes (they all own), Ice Queen Domain and its 3 quests and dungeon, six (I think) random dungeons, that tutorial dungeon place, new artifacts (for the new classes), game-ending bug fixes and auto-save and backup were added, artifacts bugged to only show up in crownings (like half of all of them) work properly now, and there's a billion statue thingies and named monsters and a few new weapon types. The UI in tiles mode is wildly changed from the UI from the old versions of ADOM so there's no more spamming space to skip -MORE- messages.

A bunch of stuff got balanced/fixed/removed: you can't shoot effectively or cast at all while dual shielding, Darkforge has semi-random teleporting until you kill the dwarf. Kick-robbing is gone. (Greater) Clawbugs shrug bolts and bosses are more resistant to debuffs. Invisibility was nerfed and more things see in darkness now. Seven-league boots got toned down but are still the best item in the game. Gremlin bombing is gone and pickpocketing was nerfed, dragons don't double gold and using slot machines applies the background corruption you should be getting over time, and corruption doubles every 90 days now instead of just after the first 90 days. Also there's more corruptions. Dwarven Halls difficulty level was dropped by like 10-15. You can't try to wipe your face to pass turns while confused anymore. The Minotaur Maze has crazy good rewards and even the Quickling Tree's reward got a boost (but it's still poo poo and always will be). The artifact ammos now returns when fired because archers simply weren't top tier enough, and sling bullets can be of slaying types now so being gifted Whirlwind as an archer isn't the worst thing in the world anymore.

Also some game options were added so if you want to see what it's like playing with 200% tougher monsters and 10% loot or whatever you can do that. There's some kind of Challenge of the Week mode, and an exploration mode which starts you with a wand of wishing so that's basically Wizard Mode. Also there's achievements.

long story short if you liked adom before you'll probably like adom now and if you didnt like adom before you probably wont like adom now but you might and it's free so whatevver

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm trying a Praetorian in Qud. What's my best bet for better gear than what I start with? Just hope that the Joppa merchant will eventually have something good in stock?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Fuligin posted:

I'm trying a Praetorian in Qud. What's my best bet for better gear than what I start with? Just hope that the Joppa merchant will eventually have something good in stock?

Not very likely to happen. Kyakukya and Grit Gate might have some but once you get a carbide or folded carbide weapon you'll probably want to scour ruins for fullerite. After that your only real option is the Asphalt mines.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

oh yeah and most importantly wish engines and and using starvation/ring of weakness and herbs to get 99 of all stats is gone. basically if you want to know if something got nerfed, just ask yourself if that thing would trivialize the game and if the answer is "yes" and also isn't "picking archer or wizard at character creation" then it's gone

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/20/caves-of-qud-review-early-access/

lmao

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I guess this is what it looks like when someone doesn't read the manual or the options screen or the inline help :psyduck:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Wow they picked easily the least capable person to review a roguelike.

Picked up Qud yesterday, hopefully there's time to get murdered in the wastes tonight.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

Wow they picked easily the least capable person to review a roguelike.

That's... not how that works.

I mean sure, don't get the guy who avows to hate sports games to review Golf 2015 or whatever, but genre competence isn't a necessary quality to review a video game.

If anything, there's far more lovely to mediocre players out there than there are good to great ones, especially when it comes to roguelikes (go look at the completion percentages for anything steam tracks).

By that measure, his review is an accurate presentation of what someone casually interested in the game's premise is going to experience.

He didn't slag off on the game, he expressed interest, explored, presented his failures, said he wished he could experience more but it's not in him to do so, and moved on.

If you're in this forum posting in this thread, you're already a subset of a subset of players.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
He could have at least made a token effort to read some of the documentation, but he pretty clearly didn't and then blamed the game for being too random and hard. Roguelikes are a lot more niche than sports games so I'd think it's more important to have a reviewer with some familiarity on the job.

It's the exact same thing as someone who sucks at fighting games reviewing one then complaining when it's hard and complex and they keep getting bodied.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Angry Diplomat posted:

That's a decent find. Keep going deeper and you'll start to find some real loot :getin:

I went 14 floors down, got bored of seeing the exact same unthreatening enemies (mostly crabs. so many crabs...) for all 14 floors, and recoiled out.

then I disassembled the laser pistol in hopes of being able to use its pristine electronics to make a laser rifle. nope :(

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
On the real though what loot are you going to find thats better than a laser pistol thats been engraved with hemp

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
HE grenade unreasons:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Million Ghosts posted:

It's the exact same thing as someone who sucks at fighting games reviewing one then complaining when it's hard and complex and they keep getting bodied.

That happens a lot. You see how many goons complain about Giant Bomb people sucking rear end at video games? Those guys are Daigo compared to a lot of reviewers.

The takeaway to anyone reading that review who is not interested in roguelikes is gonna be 'huh, sounds like a pain', whereas anyone who is may well go check it out anyway, since 'I died a lot' is basically every roguelike review from anyone slightly casual ever. That first group isn't going to enjoy Qud anyway. The second group who haven't heard of Qud may very well.

Unless you make a ton of effort to make your roguelike friendly and approachable, most players are going to bounce right off. And yeah, 'reading the manual and attendant documentation' is in fact, a pain in the rear end to most people these days.

I've watched streams of Dungeonmans (a comparatively simple, friendly roguelike with mouse and gamepad ui) where the players get lost in the academy, don't know how to rest, wander off into the wilderness and die without entering the newbie dungeon.

Dismissing people who suck at roguelikes as being unqualified to share their opinion is, well, wrong.

But all that aside: Public exposure for Qud is good. No press is bad press (unless you're Arkham Knight and steam refunds exist I guess).

It's not going to hurt the game, it already has an existing fanbase, Dwarf Fortress does just fine despite being an impenetrable mass of utter horror that makes Qud look like a poster child for Nintendo level friendly accessibility.

If I'd knock him for anything, it's not researching Freehold games a bit and seeing 'huh, they did this other, much more approachable game with a very friendly UI, perhaps this game will be improved'.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Nah RPS also wrote a completely garbage article about Sproggiwood, they just write garbage.

;)

(jk ...all press is good press)

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

victrix posted:

Unless you make a ton of effort to make your roguelike friendly and approachable, most players are going to bounce right off. And yeah, 'reading the manual and attendant documentation' is in fact, a pain in the rear end to most people these days.

See that's their issue, not the game, so if you aren't willing to spend 10 minutes giving a skim over what does what you can't really whine too much when you get eaten by salamanders and snails over and over. My main arguement is that more niche genres should probably be reviewed by people with passing familiarity to that niche. Saying 'it was hard and I died a lot" doesn't really contribute anything.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Fuligin posted:

There's a trader in Kyakuya that sells a pretty good sword

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

amuayse posted:

There's a trader in Kyakuya that sells a pretty good sword

I thought that bug got fixed.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

I thought that bug got fixed.

I keep trying but he REALLY likes to wield a lead slug in his left hand.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
Pretty thin skinned in here. Take carapace next time.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Unormal posted:

I keep trying but he REALLY likes to wield a lead slug in his left hand.

If I found a slug made of lead I wouldn't let the little dude go either.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

See that's their issue, not the game, so if you aren't willing to spend 10 minutes giving a skim over what does what you can't really whine too much when you get eaten by salamanders and snails over and over. My main arguement is that more niche genres should probably be reviewed by people with passing familiarity to that niche. Saying 'it was hard and I died a lot" doesn't really contribute anything.

Actually it's just kind of a human thing. The more layers between the player and accessbility the less likely they're going to be to access it. Yes it's the genre, but I can easily name a dozen roguelikes that are easier to grasp than Qud, and there's lots of way to improve it without losing good stuff too.

"A Steam Guide suggests that this starting quest is in fact a hilarious trick, and I should never go to Red Rock before I have a healthy number of levels under my belt. Instead, another villager called Argyve will apparently give me a different quest to find some artefacts. However, his suggestion of where I might find them is also a trick, and I should ignore that too. "

is a correct statement of something that might be lol-roguelike but will alienate some people and its not their fault for being alienated. Saying 'lol hard' doesn't contribute, you're right. But that's hardly all that he said.

Pladdicus fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 21, 2015

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Welp, my praetorian ended up being my most successful character by far. I got all the way through Golgotha (which was hilarious), then figured I would check out that ruin all the way in the northwest. Turns out it's the Six Day Stilt, although it was completely deserted as far as I could tell. On my way back I ran into the lair of a "Legendary Salt Kraken" and figured that I could always Recoil out if poo poo got real. RIP Probinus :(

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Eh, I've never been a big fan of RPS and don't want a big internet slapfight so let's agree to disagree and get back to talkin' 'bout our CoQs.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Sure, but I don't take issue with what you said or you, I was just trying to have a conversation haha.

My greater point (to other people) is there there are some things that guy experienced that are actual problems with Qud and not

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Fuligin posted:

Welp, my praetorian ended up being my most successful character by far. I got all the way through Golgotha (which was hilarious), then figured I would check out that ruin all the way in the northwest. Turns out it's the Six Day Stilt, although it was completely deserted as far as I could tell. On my way back I ran into the lair of a "Legendary Salt Kraken" and figured that I could always Recoil out if poo poo got real. RIP Probinus :(

I just got to Golgatha for the first time today. I slid down an electricity tube. It was not funny.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
If you bought into the Cogmind early access, make sure you grab the new version. Lots of great usability changes, like comparing equipment and not accidentally ramming into poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Qud is too random and poorly documented" is a pretty legitimate complaint, even if the guy's clearly not cut out for roguelikes to begin with.

Like most niche genres roguelikes are a nearly inseparable cluster of good design that's unpopular for bad reasons and bad design that's unpopular for good reasons, not to mention stuff that's quality-agnostic but really clearly only appeals to a small handful of people. It's the price you pay for games with an unimpeded vision.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Unimpeded Vision would be a pretty cool 1pt mutation.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Qud is too random and poorly documented" is a pretty legitimate complaint, even if the guy's clearly not cut out for roguelikes to begin with.

Like most niche genres roguelikes are a nearly inseparable cluster of good design that's unpopular for bad reasons and bad design that's unpopular for good reasons, not to mention stuff that's quality-agnostic but really clearly only appeals to a small handful of people. It's the price you pay for games with an unimpeded vision.

it's not inseparable to make the first quest a player might run into something they can reasonably handle, or like Sil to have an optional/seperate tutorial the explains the mechanics in an elegant way. The genre is not an excuse for things like that. It won't make paradox clone nuking any less rad.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Rip four-legged blinking fur-mutant with a shotgun, you were so young, but even a movespeed of like 2084018 can't outrun the Pauli exclusion principle.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

alarumklok posted:

Rip four-legged blinking fur-mutant with a shotgun, you were so young, but even a movespeed of like 2084018 can't outrun the Pauli exclusion principle.

*brief google*

*???*

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

I agree with all of this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pladdicus posted:

*brief google*

*???*

It's a much more scientific and narrowly precise version of "two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time," I think.

He teleported into a wall and exploded, presumably.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's a much more scientific and precise version of "two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time," I think.

He teleported into a wall and exploded, presumably.

Phasing ran out with him in a wall.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol at people who read games journalism sites

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Phasing ran out with him in a wall.

Yeah, this one. I chugged(:downs:)injected a shade oil injector and was running from a robot. I wasn't paying attention and thought I had another 1-2 turns to get out of the wall, and phased back in, dying instantly.

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

Here's my last tinker build

Got to the highest level I've ever achieved with this (11, admittedly due more to actually killing stuff around Joppa rather than beelining the rust wells then red rock, and freezing hands being really really good, than actually remembering to use grenades or tinker stuff). I eventually went into red rock with like 8 levels, cleared it fine, and decided to go back through the tunnel rather than going straight up to red rock entrance again. Somehow completely missed the exit north of Joppa, and wandered for a long time until I found a huge mass of segmented worms and a group of unique hostile humans (one had Burgeoning), but the people were lit by something, so I avoided them and kited the worm mass to the surface stairs. I finally remembered that I had a shotgun, which massacred the group of worms that followed me up, and was able to go to the world map, which showed that I'd gone as far south as I possibly could have. Moved one tile north and got lost, and two dawngliders burned me to death in like 5 turns.

Then I remembered that I had the Joppa recoiler and some cells for it :downs:. GOTY

That's my Qud story