Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
When stealthing, try to always keep your height over enemies. Unless they're in high alert mode, enemy eyes are always downcast.

This is where Blink comes in. Aim your blink at the edge just below a climbable surface, and you'll automatically climb on top. This makes it much easier to blink atop ledges. Sometimes this is tricky when trying to blink on top of street lights, but hold down the jump button and you'll mantle on top. This kind of blink-mantling only works if you're not holding a body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tell me what I should know about Blackguards

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Phobophilia posted:

When stealthing, try to always keep your height over enemies. Unless they're in high alert mode, enemy eyes are always downcast.

This is where Blink comes in. Aim your blink at the edge just below a climbable surface, and you'll automatically climb on top. This makes it much easier to blink atop ledges. Sometimes this is tricky when trying to blink on top of street lights, but hold down the jump button and you'll mantle on top. This kind of blink-mantling only works if you're not holding a body.

Thanks. I've gotten used Blink it but balconies are still giving me some serious trouble since they don't seem to be auto-climbable.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Renoistic posted:

Thanks. I've gotten used Blink it but balconies are still giving me some serious trouble since they don't seem to be auto-climbable.

Also if you're trying to keep people alive, invest in the upgrade that speeds up the chokehold ASAP. You can blink in, choke someone out, blink out and hide the body very quickly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renoistic posted:

If you wave the Blink recticule at a climbable ledge, it'll change to show you'll grab and scale it safely.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also if you're trying to keep people alive, invest in the upgrade that speeds up the chokehold ASAP. You can blink in, choke someone out, blink out and hide the body very quickly.

Unfortunately that's a charm, so it's up to the whims of the RNG when it will show up. However, there are plenty of powers that aid in making a speedy, non-violent escape, Blink 2 chief among them.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Male Man posted:

Unfortunately that's a charm, so it's up to the whims of the RNG when it will show up. However, there are plenty of powers that aid in making a speedy, non-violent escape, Blink 2 chief among them.

No matter what your playstyle, always upgrade Blink.

My advice: on your first playthrough, forget about high and low chaos, just do what feels right.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you can get deep into Blackguards you are a patient person.

I hope you like loading saved games. I don't recall if there's an option to the difficulty, but take advantage of it, if there is. The game is going to throw a lot of bullshit missions at you; such as giving you a turn limit or unbalanced boss fights, which forces you to rely on RNG if you don't have the party built for that situation. Abuse your surroundings and traps, be able to lock monsters down with either spells or skills, and try to kill guys ASAP.

I'm sure someone has ways to cheese it. I gave up as I can only hate myself for so long.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's been ages since I played the first one, so I've probably forgotten some really important stuff, but:

You get one Mage NPC early, and another one much later on. Magic is extremely useful, so things get much easier if you play a mage yourself. I had the most luck with a combined archer/support spell caster.

If there's a glowing crystal, it will heal all the enemies to max health each turn. There's almost no point in fighting any enemies, just focus on taking out the crystal ASAP. Once the crystals are gone, always kill the mages next.

There are some spells that make things much easier. One of them lets the caster create a copy of themselves that acts independently, this is very handy for having an extra body for pressing switches and things, another is a haste spell that gives another action to the target. Getting the mass dispel and poison removal spells can be very helpful as well, since the game loves throwing poison at you and it loves having enemies throw around mass buffs and debuffs. You'll also want healing magic on all your casters.

Make sure you have someone who has high level trap detection, since many of the levels are absolutely littered with traps, and not being able to see them is loving horrible.

The game is hard, like really bullshit hard, but I found that that the battles often felt a lot harder than they actually were, so it's important to not give up too early.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Abuse your surroundings and traps

This. Look out for choke points and things like rocks or whatever you can drop on people. If you're lucky the traps will be a one hit kill, even if you're not, they'll usually trap the enemy and give you some time.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Persona 3 FES: Should I bother grinding levels on the personas or concentrate on making new ones with the S-Links as they improve?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Persona 3 FES: Should I bother grinding levels on the personas or concentrate on making new ones with the S-Links as they improve?

The latter, definitely. The game's built for you to be constantly replacing personas as you level up, there's really almost no reason to keep holding onto a specific one.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Don't bother, by the time you've brought one up by 2 levels, you'll have picked up a new one 6 levels stronger. It's much easier to get a leveled up persona via S-links and fusion.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The only time grinding is necessary is getting a specific skill for fusing Elizabeth's requests. Once Personae hit their skill cap that's a good indicator that you should ditch them or fuse them.

DiseasedTempest
Oct 9, 2007
Anybody have advice for Death Skid Marks? I've played a bit but it seems like I always hit a wall a few hundred kilometers in.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In Final Fantasy XIII-2, I'm confused about the best way to use monster infusions. Should I be infusing my core group with the monsters I don't want to use as soon as I get them to rush my way to whatever unique ability they get when you infuse them a ton? Should I upgrade the ones I don't want to use a little so that they pass on some passive abilities when I use them to infuse one of my core group of monsters? Should I just ignore the infusion feature altogether and just focus on using and upgrading the ones I like?

Also, when picking monsters to use, is it better to stick to the same one for a given role and build it up over time or should I be switching monsters that can perform the roles I want pretty often?

owl_pellet fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jul 20, 2015

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

In Final Fantasy XIII-2, I'm confused about the best way to use monster infusions. Should I be infusing my core group with the monsters I don't want to use as soon as I get them to rush my way to whatever unique ability they get when you infuse them a ton? Should I upgrade the ones I don't want to use a little so that they pass on some passive abilities when I use them to infuse one of my core group of monsters? Should I just ignore the infusion feature altogether and just focus on using and upgrading the ones I like?

Also, when picking monsters to use, is it better to stick to the same one for a given role and build it up over time or should I be switching monsters that can perform the roles I want pretty often?

It really depends a lot on where in the game you are. Your best best early on is probably to find a Early Peaker and level it up to its max level of 20. Due to their growth rate, they are almost all going to be rather powerful for the early-to-midgame content even without infusion. Pulsework Knight is a good early Sentinel and you can get a good Commando in the Augusta Tower 200 AF (one of the flying robots... I forget the name). Both are Early Peakers and carried me a long way through the game; I was leveling up something else on the side and only replaced them once those were quite high level.

Certain monsters are inherently better than others, and of course usually also harder to find. The non-yellow chocobos are among the strongest in the game f.inst, even before you consider infusion and levelups, but also usually something you find late game. However to get into the topic a bit:

You can easily get through the game without infusing anything and just leveling up a set of monsters you like. If you do decide to delve into the system, my experience is that the monster upgrade materials are annoying enough to grind out, that you don't really want to "waste" them on monsters you are going to feed to something else anyway. My strategy was to simply find monsters that came with interesting passives before level ups and fuse them directly, and only spend materials on monsters I wanted to use in a fight. Especially Later Bloomer monsters take a ton of materials to get to a useful level (but of course are more powerful once they get there than an Early Peaker).

If you want to get deep into it, there are some secret combinations that lead to special abilities, but it depends on standard JRPG Guide-Dang-It things like infusion a specific monster with a specific other monster than must be of a certain level. Find a guide if you feel like that level of detail.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 20, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anyone got anything for Axiom Verge? I'm about 20 or so minutes in, just getting the Address Disruptor, and I get the feeling the game's gonna go nutty pretty quick on me.

While I'm at it, what about The Starry Night We Make?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Axiom Verge: Some secrets are ridiculously obtuse, mostly for weapons. If you care about 100%ing the game you're going to have to look them up. God knows how much time I wasted on getting to a given ledge or item only to give up and look up the answer with a "how the hell was I supposed to know to do that?"

Everything else should be more or less self-explanatory, as far as Metroidvanias go. There will be a point where you jump down somewhere and can't get back to the earlier areas, but don't worry you are not trapped. There's also one part near the end where you have to go back to I think Ukkin-na to trigger a cutscene and the game doesn't really make it explicit that you have to do so.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

once you pass through the steamy room in AV you must keep going forward (up and right) until you loop back around. you cannot go back the way you game. your run will be 2 hours longer than it should be if you don't know this because you get a lot of movement upgrades and none of them are enough to get you back over the gap.

then the lovely boss fights start. oh boy

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
So I'm renting Lord of Magna from gamefly... did I pick an anime girl game again?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

owl_pellet posted:

Should I just ignore the infusion feature altogether and just focus on using and upgrading the ones I like?

Yeah basically. Infusion is some real high-level optimization stuff. Though you can just infuse your old guys into the new ones to pick up a few nice passives and extra abilities.

Guys in this game have three stats so it's generally a good idea to go with ones with bigger stats. Medics and Synergists can live without strength and Sentries need nothin' but HP. The other three roles depend on what the exact ability loadouts are.

The only "best of" monster I remember is the Yakshini being the best Synergist in the game due to its high HP and the ease of infusing the buffs it is missing. The Purple Chocobo is also an amazing Synergist but I am extremely biased towards chocobos as my paradigm pack pals.

E: The enemy Dragoon is way too powerful for how easy it is to max out, so snag it when you see it. It's not really something you can go out of your way for, though.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 21, 2015

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
Anything for Dungeon of the Endless? This game is cool, but difficult.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JaggerMcDagger posted:

So I'm renting Lord of Magna from gamefly... did I pick an anime girl game again?

The full title is Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven. Yeah, you got an anime girl game.

But I hear as far as anime girl games go it's pretty good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Anything for Wild Arms XF or Warhammer 40K Squad Command (on the PSP), or Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden on the PSX? Assume I've never played a Wild Arms or Super Robot Wars game before, because I haven't.

Also interested in anything for Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness's Etna Mode that differs from advice for the normal campaign (which I've already beaten).

Also, here's one for Wild Arms XF that I've already figured out just a few missions in:
- Some missions that have objectives other than "defeat all enemies" are effectively impossible to win by straight up combat. As an example, the "open the gate" mission early on features an enemy with 4x as much health as any of your party members who can reliably one- or two-shot anyone in your party. You might be able to defeat him by spamming healing items and your most powerful attacks, but it's clear that what you're expected to do is open the gate and book it without ever letting him get into melee.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

al-azad posted:

The full title is Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven. Yeah, you got an anime girl game.

But I hear as far as anime girl games go it's pretty good.

God damnit.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Vidaeus posted:

Play on Very Easy. No shame.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

How...often does this happen to you?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

DiseasedTempest posted:

Anybody have advice for Death Skid Marks? I've played a bit but it seems like I always hit a wall a few hundred kilometers in.

Try to memorize what hazards the road signs indicate - suicide bombers and rocket guys are fuckers in particular.

Beating certain bosses unlocks cars, and the Saw Groupie unlocks probably the best car available before you get all the crew member cars (ie, the ones you get by beating the game with a particular person in your party, and getting the good ending).

Russian Roulette is worth giving a try if you have a crew member you don't find particularly useful at the start, and can be good if you have to replace a dead crew member later on, assuming you're feeling lucky. It gives two stat boosts across the board, so it pays off pretty well.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ToxicFrog posted:

Also interested in anything for Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness's Etna Mode that differs from advice for the normal campaign (which I've already beaten).

You're Laharl-less, if you mostly leaned on him. IIRC you don't get special characters besides Etna. The enemy levels are far, far higher than normal, and extra stages like the Cave of Ordeals are also multiplied to hell.

CoO3 in Etna Mode is hella fast for grinding. I think I've gotten characters to the 6,000s trivially.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Vidaeus posted:

- Out of the starting heroes, Max is a very solid jack of all trades to learn the game with. He can operate and repair, has respectable speed and damage, and starts with a passive that gives science each turn. Most importantly, he has an ability that increases dust gain amount (not chance, however) from opening doors, making him a quality scout.

- Getting economy up and running is pretty important. I like to build at least one of each type of the Food, Industry, and Science major modules for each floor and I'll keep building them until they start costing more than 50 industry a pop. Try to build them as early as you can on each floor to maximize your gains.

- Try to open as many doors as you can on each floor to gain more resources and build up a stockpile reserve for the later, harder floors.

- When researching modules, you will sometimes get a chance to skip 1 level of research when leveling them up. Modules have 4 levels and each subsequent upgrade will cost more science. So the optimal way to save science is to unlock a module at level 1, upgrade it to level 2, then upgrade from it level 2 to level 4. In other words, try to skip the upgrades that go from 1 to 3, 2 to 3, and 3 to 4 as that'll end up costing you more in science. This isn't a hard and fast rule, however, because research options are randomized and sometimes you'll want a certain module at higher levels regardless of the cost.

- Heroes with operate are very useful. Place them in a major module and they'll increase its yield based on their wit. Some operators increase resource yields so dramatically that it's worth having them parked on generator duty for the entire game.

- Unlit rooms with heroes occupying them won't have enemies spawn in them. If a hero is proceeding from a dark room and opens a door, you can have them quickly move back into the dark room they just left as soon as the door opens so that it counts as occupied. When carrying the crystal, you can also leave 3 rooms unpowered (preferable the ones near the elevator exit) and let your heroes stand in them to prevent enemies from spawning in them as you make your run.

- Oftentimes you won't have enough dust to power on all of the rooms. Plan ahead for this by designating chokepoints as you explore. It can be beneficial to set up a tanky hero in an easily defensible room with several unlit rooms surrounding it so that you can farm dust from enemies.

- Be sure to sell all your excess items before you leave a floor. You can only keep 4 items in your inventory at a time, the rest will be lost as you leave.

- Because dust is the only resource that doesn't carry over with you, you should buy out the stock of any dust merchants before leaving the floor. That way you can use them to pay for goods or gain resources from merchants you meet on the next floor.

- Be on the look out for the Ahhrrrmani Suit or Hipster Scarf for your tank heroes as it grants an ability that will force enemies into attacking them, even the annoying ones that will normally rush past them to hit your crystal or structures. If you're lucky enough to equip two heroes with these items and are good at micro, you can confuse enemies and kite them back and forth between them.

- Aftershave is a great item for your more fragile heroes because it causes enemies to ignore them. Use it on your glass cannons or scouts and have them pepper away at approaching waves of enemies.

- Dustfield generators and Autodoc shards are great modules to help sustain your tanks heroes in chokepoint rooms.

- Neurostunners and tear gas are very potent combination that softens up enemies before they reach your hero chokepoints.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mycot posted:

How...often does this happen to you?

Here's a tip for what you should know before Renting a video game

- Check the cover art and screenshots to see if they almost exclusively feature anime girls. If so, it's an anime girl game

This one for example is kind of a gray area but if you look closely there are clues that it might be a game about anime girls

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

Warhammer 40K Squad Command

It's been a long while since I played this so I hope I'm not misremembering.

The game is a poor man's X-COM so a lot of the same general advice applies: don't rush, use overwatch, Always Be (in) Cover, use explosives to destroy cover and heretics. Not a lot of tricky bits here, just a straightforward squad tactics game starring Space Marines.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

have you considered knowing anything about the games you buy

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

have you considered knowing anything about the games you buy

Not when the industry lives and dies by promises, pedigree, pandering, and a personal, emotional investment in the honor and well-being of billion-dollar multinational companies.

But yeah, man, if it's anime on the cover then it's anime inside.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.

moot the hopple posted:

Dungeon of the Endless tips

Cool, thanks for the tips!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Does Gamefly have a "gently caress it, send me anything from this genre and/or console" mode? If they had playstation and saturn games, I'd be all over that.

Also good luck on your anime maiden child raising game, or whatever it is.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

paco650 posted:

Not when the industry lives and dies by promises, pedigree, pandering, and a personal, emotional investment in the honor and well-being of billion-dollar multinational companies.

But yeah, man, if it's anime on the cover then it's anime inside.

who the gently caress do you think you are, the cum police?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nate RFB posted:

Axiom Verge: Some secrets are ridiculously obtuse, mostly for weapons. If you care about 100%ing the game you're going to have to look them up. God knows how much time I wasted on getting to a given ledge or item only to give up and look up the answer with a "how the hell was I supposed to know to do that?"

Everything else should be more or less self-explanatory, as far as Metroidvanias go. There will be a point where you jump down somewhere and can't get back to the earlier areas, but don't worry you are not trapped. There's also one part near the end where you have to go back to I think Ukkin-na to trigger a cutscene and the game doesn't really make it explicit that you have to do so.

Real hurthling! posted:

once you pass through the steamy room in AV you must keep going forward (up and right) until you loop back around. you cannot go back the way you game. your run will be 2 hours longer than it should be if you don't know this because you get a lot of movement upgrades and none of them are enough to get you back over the gap.

then the lovely boss fights start. oh boy
Thanks loads. I'm thinking more and more I might not get through this one though, it's feeling too obtuse for my adult brain to handle (even though I beat and 100%'d Super Metroid just fine back in the day) :(

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

There will be a point where you jump down somewhere and can't get back to the earlier areas, but don't worry you are not trapped. There's also one part near the end where you have to go back to I think Ukkin-na to trigger a cutscene and the game doesn't really make it explicit that you have to do so.

- you can go back through the "temporary no return point", it requires a pixel-perfect jump but it can be done (not worth the hassle though, unless you know you need a missed item right now and you've already saved after that point)

- there are many hidden weapons that are not part of a "go get this gun before you can proceed" sequence and it's worth hunting for them, some are very powerful/useful.

- when you get 10+ weapons remember that you can reassign weapon keys

- secret codes: if you get a message on the wall, you have to activate it in the same area or it won't work. Pay attention to any text and name that may fit into the decoder.

- the alien language messages are straight substitution cyphers, you'll get the ability to translate the notes anyway but there are a few messages that you'll have to do by hand for 100% completion. Also, one of the translators is not given to you but you get enough information to figure out how to unlock it.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
This "god dammit not another anime girl game" conversation is hilarious and I would like to thank everyone involved for making me laugh at work.

But yes seriously how do you choose your games? Solely on the first three words of the title?