Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Big thing to remember with that build is that you can kill Equimaxes for lots of xp as soon as you get freezing hands 3 and a 2 handed bronze longsword or similar weapon. Sometimes you might have to freeze them again when it comes off cooldown but they'll usually die before you can freeze again. Also remember that freezing hands is a line aoe that goes up to 9 squares if you aim that far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
My Qud stories mainly cosist of me running a genocide crusade against canyon snapjaws until everyone loves me.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

Big thing to remember with that build is that you can kill Equimaxes for lots of xp as soon as you get freezing hands 3 and a 2 handed bronze longsword or similar weapon. Sometimes you might have to freeze them again when it comes off cooldown but they'll usually die before you can freeze again. Also remember that freezing hands is a line aoe that goes up to 9 squares if you aim that far away.

I was killing them fine with a steel longsword, freezing hands, and some judicious kiting/special rifle shots from a musket. Also that's how the AoE works? I thought it was a 3x3 square from the description (and also how it would freeze all adjacent tiles in water) :aaaaa:.

Also, vital shot seems buggy, occasionally it would suppress enemies instead of critting, unless that's intended.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It freezes adjacent water because temperature propagates. This also makes thermal grenades mk. III really, really dangerous. I've created self sustaining firestorms with them before.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is Regen actually a good mutation or is a total newbie trap? Seems decently powerful but 5 points is pretty steep.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Million Ghosts posted:

Is Regen actually a good mutation or is a total newbie trap? Seems decently powerful but 5 points is pretty steep.

Heal honestly works better imho

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Million Ghosts posted:

Mostly a newbie trap, with a few legit edge cases. It scales very poorly as your character levels up, and although it can be used to allow pure melee characters to kill things slowly via a battle of attrition, or combo'd with Carapace to heal while being immobilized but almost unkillable, you could just pick good offensive mutations and never get into those situations in the first place.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
I got killed by the Eyeless King Crab on what I presume is a special level of the Asphalt Mine. Did I miss something or does that thing's tile look exactly like all the other eyeless crabs? If I'd noticed there was a different enemy from a distance I might've done better.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Kinda figured, but thanks for the confirmation. RIP 4 armed hairy plant man you were to confusing for this world.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Benly posted:

I got killed by the Eyeless King Crab on what I presume is a special level of the Asphalt Mine. Did I miss something or does that thing's tile look exactly like all the other eyeless crabs? If I'd noticed there was a different enemy from a distance I might've done better.

I think in ascii they were Cs while regular ones were cs.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Been playing steamqud and enjoying it, some things that have been bugging me:
  • Binding ctrl+x to give 1000 exp by default is nuts, I smacked that on a character looking for the e'x'amine shortcut and ruined an otherwise great character by giving him half a dozen free levels, this should be unbound in the default keyset
  • The 'laptop' keyset is completely hosed, look is unbound rather than being rebound to x or ctrl+l so you need to manually rebind it but by far the most annoying thing is it completely disables use of yuhjklbn for navigating menus. If you want to loot item 'b' you must scroll to it, select it and then 'g'et it where if it was item 'd' you could just press 'd' to loot it. This is really annoying and isn't how any other roguelike does vim keys.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

uPen posted:

• Binding ctrl+x to give 1000 exp by default is nuts, I smacked that on a character looking for the e'x'amine shortcut and ruined an otherwise great character by giving him half a dozen free levels, this should be unbound in the default keyset

Hell, I tried using that command a couple of times just to give myself a leg up and see what stuff was like after I got a few more levels, and each time it levels me up like 20 or 30 levels.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Can I say something that's probably stupid and not true? And maybe really obvious?

I'm gonna say it, it's something awful.

I think permadeath in roguelikes, by necessity, forces the good ones to become better games, because killing players with bullshit is bullshit, and nothing exposes that more starkly than wiping someone's progress in a game that can take hours to beat.

A perfect roguelike kills players because they hosed up. And that can be hosed up tactically or strategically.

So by their nature, roguelikes encourage good game design practices - if you accept the premise that a challenging game is a good game.

Feel free to point out any of a few dozen obvious counter-examples and/or varying interpretations of the words good or bullshit :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

Can I say something that's probably stupid and not true? And maybe really obvious?

I think permadeath in roguelikes, by necessity, forces the good ones to become better games, because killing players with bullshit is bullshit, and nothing exposes that more starkly than wiping someone's progress in a game that can take hours to beat.

This isn't wholly unreasonable, but the counterpoint is that plenty of people get the causality backwards. "Roguelikes are bullshit", they think, "so I can just shove any old random dickish thing I want in there and people will accept it." And really, with basically all of the older roguelikes they're not wrong. It's only the newer ones that have stopped yanking the player's chain quite so much. Kind of like the difference between a Sierra adventure game and a LucasArts one.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

victrix posted:

Well you're certainly in the right place to say it. :v:

It certainly hasn't helped TOME 4 out in that regard, considering certain random combinations in the later portions of the plotline are absolute bullshit.

I guess it depends more on why these games have permadeath to begin with. If it's there due to the pretenses of the genre (THIS IS WHAT A ROGUE-LIKE IS!) then it probably isn't going to become a better game for it. But if it's calculated as part of the "rules" laid out then whoever's designing it is probably going to keep it in mind while creating more content and give leniency towards death.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This isn't wholly unreasonable, but the counterpoint is that plenty of people get the causality backwards. "Roguelikes are bullshit", they think, "so I can just shove any old random dickish thing I want in there and people will accept it." And really, with basically all of the older roguelikes they're not wrong. It's only the newer ones that have stopped yanking the player's chain quite so much. Kind of like the difference between a Sierra adventure game and a LucasArts one.

Yeah I left out personal musings on the topic as far as specific games go.

I think in general my tastes have drifted almost entirely away from the old school mentality, and I happily embrace the ~loving casualification~ of the genre.

But for sure the newer, sharper, better designed games are really refining the razor edge (permadeath) that makes roguelikes such awesome experiences.

There's definitely no guarantee that someone is going to make a roguelike and then update the game in a manner that uses death as a punishment for active failure on the player's part rather than either some rng fuckery (edge case, common, or otherwise), or 'haha, roguelikes are supposed to be hard, gently caress you player!!~~'.

There's nothing even saying that doing so is good, or that not doing so is bad. That's simply my personal bias.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I feel like the extremely harsh penalty for gently caress ups is really what makes roguelikes what they are. They're different from other rpgs in that you don't progress overall in numbers (outside of each character), you progress in knowledge. Essentially you have to level up what you know about the game instead of brute forcing it, even if that knowledge does eventually lead to learning an efficient way to brute force things. Complaining about permadeath to me means roguelikes really just arent for you, which is why that Qud review sorta bugged me.

But as has been said, there's a big difference between something like IVAN and something a little less malicious.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

victrix posted:

A perfect roguelike kills players because they hosed up. And that can be hosed up tactically or strategically.

So by their nature, roguelikes encourage good game design practices - if you accept the premise that a challenging game is a good game.

Feel free to point out any of a few dozen obvious counter-examples and/or varying interpretations of the words good or bullshit :v:

Good point, but I want to highlight your point about some Roguelikes having a lot of dumb bullshit that doesn't test skill/talent, but knowledge, or simply unfair things one could never really prepare for.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wish I could join the Enclave in Qud :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pladdicus posted:

Good point, but I want to highlight your point about some Roguelikes having a lot of dumb bullshit that doesn't test skill/talent, but knowledge, or simply unfair things one could never really prepare for.

I wrote a reply while tired, which resulted in it being about two pages long.

So I deleted that, here's the shorter version:

I dislike one time knowledge gates (know this or die).

I like gameplay knowledge improving your odds (know this and do better).

RNG stuff I think is often a side effect of designers using rng/procedural stuff 'just cuz', without using it as a tool to augment already solid design by giving it variation that can provide nearly endless challenges even to veteran players.

Like the assumption that 'a random dungeon is random and therefore a fresh new experience every game!' even if that isn't really true. Or that totally randomly placed monsters and items is always a good thing.

And an ugly side effect of that is often weird spikes in difficulty and situations that are very difficult (or impossible?) to get out of without veteran preparation (or immediate evacuation).

It's tough to draw a line in the sand and say X is always bad, when it might not be, if handled deftly by a good designer in a good game.

Probably more true to say certain Xs are very often bad in quite a few games :v:

But that's like grade A+ armchair designer faffery, it's really easy to point out flaws in commonly used systems, harder to point out specific solutions to problems that plenty of people don't even think are problems in the first place.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
the crawl manual says it best

quote:

Things ought to work in an intuitive way. Crawl definitely is winnable without spoiler access. Concerning important but hidden details (i.e. facts subject to spoilers) our policy is this: the joy of discovering something spoily is nice, once. (And disappears before it can start if you feel you need to read spoilers - a legitimate feeling.) The joy of dealing with ever-changing, unexpected and challenging strategic and tactical situations that arise out of transparent rules, on the other hand, is nice again and again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

qud definitely is a fun game but i honestly am waiting for it to be tuned up more and made more accessible to most people. i'm still recommending it all the time but i don't 100% disagree with that RPS writer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, right now Qud is kind of random difficulty spikes: the game. Went exploring an a legendary mob that shouldn't even be in this area normal spawned, went into the Rust Wells and a couple snapjaws spawned with shotguns, went into Golgotha or Bethesda Susa for the first time, went exploring a ruin and things were good til a traipsing mortar showed up, JFC what's a chrome pyramid doing HERE, etc.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Victrix you make a lot of good points, but I have to specifically disagree with one. I actually think running into situations where your only real option is to run the gently caress away is a pretty core roguelike thing. It really adds to the whole feeling of being stuck in a very hostile environment and games where you can slug your way through everything end up weaker in the end imo. I know Cataclysm isn't a traditional RL or anything, but once you hit the point where most zombies aren't a threat anymore, the games becomes dull as hell unless you go out of your way to create probelms for yourself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, right now Qud is kind of random difficulty spikes: the game. Went exploring an a legendary mob that shouldn't even be in this area normal spawned, went into the Rust Wells and a couple snapjaws spawned with shotguns, went into Golgotha or Bethesda Susa for the first time, went exploring a ruin and things were good til a traipsing mortar showed up, JFC what's a chrome pyramid doing HERE, etc.

i think one of the strengths of the game right now is the setting in general, which can be pretty hard to pull off, so honestly i just want players to be able to consistently see more of it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

dis astranagant posted:

lost a character in the rust wells a few games ago when a snapjaw threw a HE grenade at him and one-shot him.

not sure what I could have done to avoid that, really. early enough that the lost character didn't hurt too much, but still...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

My favorite was finding out there was a legendary initiate of the sightless eye or w/e they're called on the map by rounding a corner and instantly dying from the dozen or so sunder minds that hit me at once.

Maelephant
Aug 12, 2006

"Yer know, a herd of maelephants might be jus' wot we needs."
Alot of that spikiness is due to the new faction systems -- legendary faction leaders and their parties can show up just about anywhere at the moment. That should get better as the system is balanced.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
In CoQ, does the target's willpower factor into Proselytize's success? I want to know if I should berate things before I convert them.

edit: I noticed I had a stack of flaming vinewafers sitting in my inventory like it wasn't even a thing so I threw one at a snapjaw and he caught fire and died. The others all went out and stacked with the rest of my vinewafers I think. Flaming vinewafer throw - new pro strats?

Benly fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 21, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Risk of Rain just dropped a 50 meg update. Anyone know what's in it?

Benly posted:

In CoQ, does the target's willpower factor into Proselytize's success? I want to know if I should berate things before I convert them.

Yes

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Brogue addled folks---there's a promising, albeit Alpha, newcomer to the field that is largely only Brogue, Forays into Norrendrin, and The Ground Gives Way: Dungeons of Everchange

http://www.darkgnosis.com/ Win/OSX only though

It just landed a sizable Alpha v0.6.5 update yesterday, with the prior release back in Early June and some sort of fancy pants Isometric mode variant being cobbled together in tandem. If the dev momentum can hold, this should be a pretty substantial little project in fairly short order...

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
How do you guys deal with goatfolk? They don't gently caress around, especially the grenadiers.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

How do you guys deal with goatfolk? They don't gently caress around, especially the grenadiers.

Have good ranged attacks and kill them quickly. Also don't go where they live until you can tank a few hits. Having the Heal skill to recover between fights is also handy.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

amuayse posted:

The sowers (grenadiers) will not throw if they don't see you, so duck behind a tree once they do and wait for them to get close. If pointblank, they won't throw a seed.

Course, if there are also wardens or whatever the riflegoats are, then it gets dicey.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The goatfolk sowers (bomb guys) also have some specific tendencies you can exploit. They're not very good team players, and will happily bounce grenade seeds off of other creatures (including other goatfolk) if they happen to be in the line of fire; with a little luck, you can use that to reduce or avoid damage to yourself while softening up the opposition. They'll also pursue if they lose sight of you, so if you dash through some trees to break line-of-sight and then lie in ambush, they'll often come running right into melee with you. They don't throw their seeds in melee, so it's a lot easier to take them on that way.

Savages are out-and-out melee bruisers. They have tons of health and decent armour, and - like regular goats - a horn attack and the ability to block. They're very nasty up close for non-melee oriented characters, but a strong gun or ranged mutation can nuke them down pretty well. Sunder Mind is fairly effective, but you might have some trouble if you're relying on Light Manipulation because, again, they're big piles of HP and defense.

Yurtwardens use desert rifles and similar guns. They can be dangerous at range if you're playing a lightly-armoured or comparatively fragile character, but they're roughly equivalent to sowers up close. Break line of sight and lure them to you, or blast the poo poo out of them if you have a lot of ranged firepower, or just run up to them and break them in half if you're sufficiently swole to tank their shots.

Hornblowers are assholes. They're somewhat similar to savages, except they have a special AoE that causes fear but doesn't affect other goatfolk. They love to rush you and gently caress up your tactics - either nuke them down quick or get the gently caress out of there, because getting hit with fear and running over open ground in front of a pair of sowers will kill you very rapidly. They can drop a neat hammer that sort of sucks as a weapon but is worth a lot to merchants, though.

Shamans are a major threat if your willpower sucks, since they like to hit you with mental attacks. Otherwise they're mostly just annoying as hell.

e: beaten on the tree-hiding strategy, but I was way more thorough :colbert:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Ah. I stumbled across a "roasting boar" camp, and thought it was going to be pygmies but I landed in a middle of a clearing full of bad goat mofos so I didn't have much in the way of cover. Weirdly there was a bunch of dromad traders nearby and they stomped the goats.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

amuayse posted:

Ah. I stumbled across a "roasting boar" camp, and thought it was going to be pygmies but I landed in a middle of a clearing full of bad goat mofos so I didn't have much in the way of cover. Weirdly there was a bunch of dromad traders nearby and they stomped the goats.

Don't gently caress with camels.

In fact, if Qud dromads don't have some kind of nasty spit attack, they should.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Dromads themselves are moderately tough, but they have Great Saltbacks which are gigantic angry bricks of super-compressed hate if something pisses them off, and they have caravan guards with strong armour and weapons, typically including laser rifles. Very little that spawns on the worldmap will have a ghost of a chance against against a dromad caravan.

Speaking of traders, I found an oddly-coloured glowpod in some ruins near Joppa. It turned out to be a representative of the Consortium of Phyta who wanted to offer me some fine wares. Little dude had some pretty goddamn sweet-rear end gear. It was a little strange to see a non-mobile merchant hanging out in the middle of nowhere with no guards or customers, but hey, I guess his food and water costs are covered by saltwater, soil, and sunlight.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Angry Diplomat posted:

Speaking of traders, I found an oddly-coloured glowpod in some ruins near Joppa. It turned out to be a representative of the Consortium of Phyta who wanted to offer me some fine wares. Little dude had some pretty goddamn sweet-rear end gear. It was a little strange to see a non-mobile merchant hanging out in the middle of nowhere with no guards or customers, but hey, I guess his food and water costs are covered by saltwater, soil, and sunlight.

That little guy always spawns somewhere in the swamps near joppa, and is worth tracking down if you have a high ego character and/or are having a good run and want to improve your chances because he has really high level stuff for that point in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Clever Spambot posted:

That little guy always spawns somewhere in the swamps near joppa, and is worth tracking down if you have a high ego character and/or are having a good run and want to improve your chances because he has really high level stuff for that point in the game.

Dang, that's good to know. I'll have to start searching around for him with my Psychometry tinkers.

e: I wonder if faction standing influences prices at all? I've had an idea in my head for a winged, solar-powered psychotinker Water Merchant who explores the worldmap for relics and uses flight and advanced weaponry to rain death from on high. Better prices from my Consortium pal would be pretty neat.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 21, 2015