Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I like the LGA setup, personally, because removal of the HSF won't yank the drat chip out of the socket half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

JnnyThndrs posted:

I like the LGA setup, personally, because removal of the HSF won't yank the drat chip out of the socket half the time.

Except they could have kept PGA and just added a simple over-chip retention clip as part of the assembly and accomplished the exact same thing. Like I said before, I was petrified getting my 2500K locked in years ago because it was my first time dicking around with Intel's new LGA setup, and I could not fathom the amount of force I had to exert on the bar to finally get it down and locked. I thought the bar was going to break or bend, or worse, something was going to bend/break in the socket itself.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

HalloKitty posted:

Haswell. Haswell's got the FIVR.

... :v:
Amazing feature for laptops, not so much for *TX desktops where it makes almost no difference whether the PC is 30w or 40w idle, plus the VRM inside the chip hampered overclocking and Xeon. Skylake might have an increase in headroom over Haswell as a result of removing it, but I hope they keep it for laptops.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
Given I have a 2600k at 4.3Ghz is Skylake a good point to upgrade or would it be worthwhile to wait until Cannonlake? My choice in the upcoming 12 months is either getting a new cpu/mobo/ddr4 or upgrading my 780 when nvidia releases their new line.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

JnnyThndrs posted:

Thanks for reminding me of the horror I felt when I managed to do just that with a Socket 939 chip years ago.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Haeleus posted:

Given I have a 2600k at 4.3Ghz is Skylake a good point to upgrade or would it be worthwhile to wait until Cannonlake? My choice in the upcoming 12 months is either getting a new cpu/mobo/ddr4 or upgrading my 780 when nvidia releases their new line.

I'd wait if you don't have a good reason to upgrade, the leaked benches show Skylake as another very minor bump for gaming unless you are using the IGP.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Also, Intel mentioned Broadwell-E recently so I guess in light of them pushing Cannonlake back, I guess they've decided to come out with that now versus putting more effort into Skylake-E as originally rumored. I should note that it was WCCFTech that leaked the rumor. Supposedly B-E will use Socket 2011-3 again, so it gives you the ability to watch for deals on current-gen boards, since I'm sure all it'll require to make them B-E-ready would be a BIOS update (one can hope).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Haeleus posted:

Given I have a 2600k at 4.3Ghz
Just to be clear, when people say this, they're referring to the CPU being able to run at that multiplier under full load but it's not actually running at that speed all the time, right?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Are there any online stores that buy large DDR4 ram kits and then split them up to sell, or is the answer probably craigslist?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Just to be clear, when people say this, they're referring to the CPU being able to run at that multiplier under full load but it's not actually running at that speed all the time, right?

Yeah, most of the time it's clocked down and only 'revs up' under load - not even all the cores will ramp up to the top multi, unless you're running Prime95 or an encoder or something.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah its the max sustained turbo multiplier, and when there is no load it idles back to 1.6GHz.

BTW I was playing with the idea of toying around a used Q9550 just for kicks, until I remembered a brand new stock G3258 simply roflstomps it with something like a ~50% IPC advantage with all the advantages of a modern chipset at around the same price. Poor second hand sellers these days.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.

Josh Lyman posted:

I've actually setup BIOS to run my cpu @ 4.3 Ghz constantly (aka 43 multiplier with turbo mode constantly activated), but normally yes this is turbo mode with the CPU throttling back to 1.6 when idle.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I'd wait if you don't have a good reason to upgrade, the leaked benches show Skylake as another very minor bump for gaming unless you are using the IGP.

So no reason to upgrade my 2500K either?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Drunk Badger posted:

So no reason to upgrade my 2500K either?

For the most part a OCed 2500k will be just as fast as the newer chips at the same clocks. But it does depend on your workload so you might want to read some reviews and see if newer chips have anything significant to offer you.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

For the most part a OCed 2500k will be just as fast as the newer chips at the same clocks. But it does depend on your workload so you might want to read some reviews and see if newer chips have anything significant to offer you.

From the initial Skylake benchmarks there isn't much of an imperative reason to upgrade. Performance gains are roughly 5-10% and SATA-Express with NVMe isn't that much of a boost either.

My plan is to try and wait for whatever's after Cannon Lake which won't be until 2018-2019.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Haeleus posted:

I've actually setup BIOS to run my cpu @ 4.3 Ghz constantly (aka 43 multiplier with turbo mode constantly activated), but normally yes this is turbo mode with the CPU throttling back to 1.6 when idle.

Curious why you would do this?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Are there any online stores that buy large DDR4 ram kits and then split them up to sell, or is the answer probably craigslist?

Massdrop does something similar to this, but they don't do a lot of computer parts really.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Massdrop looks like they list by full official kits only and I was hoping there would be somebody who literally takes them out of the package and splits them up.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Josh Lyman posted:

On my 2500k @ 4.8 ghz, once every 9 months or so I'll get a BSOD when I'm just idling / listening to winamp at desktop. I believe I've tracked it down to the C1E, C3, and the C6 states. Under Prime95 / full load I've never had it crash ever, but sometimes when it drops into idle mode it's possible to very briefly get the "whoa not enough vcore!" BSOD. So in some cases it's a good idea to turn those states off.

Interestingly it's stable at 5.0 ghz but because it goes over 90c it gave a lower score in Cinbench. :v:

That reminds me, I've been using a H100 AIO for about 3 years now, and it might be my imagination but temps seem to be slightly higher than when I first brought it. I wish there was a way of checking the fluid in it, but then that wouldn't be a closed loop system.

I've got my eye on the newer H110i GT but only if I have to replace the H100.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Thanks guys. I feel much better about only pushing my 3570K to 4.2GHz. :smith:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Josh Lyman posted:

Thanks guys. I feel much better about only pushing my 3570K to 4.2GHz. :smith:

It's enough, and it'll be stable, so I'd be pleased with it. Have my 2500K @ 4.4, don't really feel the need to potentially make the system less stable, and with the slowing rate of performance increases, I'd want it to last for a longer time than I had anticipated.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

HalloKitty posted:

It's enough, and it'll be stable, so I'd be pleased with it. Have my 2500K @ 4.4, don't really feel the need to potentially make the system less stable, and with the slowing rate of performance increases, I'd want it to last for a longer time than I had anticipated.

This. My 2500k is at 4.2GHz and never crashes. Sure I could push it some more, but I want stability and use of the idle states where it spends 98% of the time it is on.

I got a new Kill-A-Watt and did some testing over the the weekend my box with a GTX 680, 3 SSDs, 1 HDD, and 16GB of RAM idles around 88W and goes to 115W or so with a light to moderate load like Photoshop or Lightroom. Firing up GTA V that completely maxes my system gets me to 340W. Prime95 gave me a load of 225W, so really the 680 was only using about 115W.

I will gladly give up a few hundred Megahertz for a 2/3 reduction in power draw.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

wipeout posted:

Maybe he only boots the PC up when he has to do fairly long-running heavy workload jobs and the CPU trying to throttle up and down at perceived dips in activity hurts his performance on those jobs? No idea what kinda job that would be, but in my OS class we definitely fooled the CPU's throttling quite a lot by deliberately writing programs that just churned away doing whatever and then blipped to 0 utilization for a few MS and then went back to heavy work. In those situations, the CPU's throttling more than doubled how long it actually took to get back to working at full capacity.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Combat Pretzel posted:

Talking about pressure optimized airflows, is there a reason why CPU fans don't have stators? Well, there's that single fan model from Noctua that has some, but that's about it.

I'd venture to guess the fine parallel-plate structure of the heatsink does a fantastic job of promoting laminar flow.

Edit: actually, the leading edges are so drat close together -- I really have no clue. Retracted.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 20, 2015

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Is there anything on the horizon to replace Silvermont for SoC storage servers? Newegg.ca is selling octocore Avotons for 20% off and my bonus is burning a hole in my wallet.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ElehemEare posted:

Is there anything on the horizon to replace Silvermont for SoC storage servers? Newegg.ca is selling octocore Avotons for 20% off and my bonus is burning a hole in my wallet.

How deep are your pockets and do you want onboard 10GigE?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9185/intel-xeon-d-review-performance-per-watt-server-soc-champion

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

wipeout posted:

I just did it over a year ago as I was experimenting with OCing and thought that having the CPU change clock speed would risk stuttering in games (literally all I care about performance wise). I guess in retrospect that is unnecessary; since I don't remember what I changed in BIOS I'll just reset to factory.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
That could sometimes happen on socket 775 boards, or they'd just get hella unstable when changing states like my Q6600 box that had to be hard set at 3.6ghz. Any modern CPU should handle dynamic overclocking fine unless the board's garbage or dvid is set incorrectly though, so you're just stressing the chip and wasting electricity really.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Are there any thunderbolt pci-e cards available that don't need a thunderbolt header on the motherboard? Or are thunderbolt in a weird limbo of not being successful but backed by billions of dollars.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Medium and no. Guess the C2750 is good enough for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Boiled Water posted:

Are there any thunderbolt pci-e cards available that don't need a thunderbolt header on the motherboard? Or are thunderbolt in a weird limbo of not being successful but backed by billions of dollars.
Weird limbo. Plus some bullshit between Intel and Apple.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Combat Pretzel posted:

Weird limbo. Plus some bullshit between Intel and Apple.

Maybe try eBay? There are lots of grey-market electronics that get sold there. Don't expect a warranty or it to work terribly well though.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Apparently it's possible to use other USB headers and whatnot if the mainboard manufacturer can be bothered for a BIOS update, but you need something to plug into.
HP did it for some older workstations. Their little addon cards are 175$ lol. Don't get your hopes up in the low end segment.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Skandranon posted:

Maybe try eBay? There are lots of grey-market electronics that get sold there. Don't expect a warranty or it to work terribly well though.
That's still weird limbo. You can't just go and order a PCIe Thunderbold adapter card from some reputable brand, because no one's making any, for whatever idiotic reason. Well, Asus makes one, but you stick it in the PCIe slot and still have to hook it up to some header on the mainboard. I think it was some bullshit about Intel requiring TB to be fed directly off the CPU's PCIe lanes instead of lanes behind a switch.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

cisco privilege posted:

That could sometimes happen on socket 775 boards, or they'd just get hella unstable when changing states like my Q6600 box that had to be hard set at 3.6ghz. Any modern CPU should handle dynamic overclocking fine unless the board's garbage or dvid is set incorrectly though, so you're just stressing the chip and wasting electricity really.
My H81 board's garbage as you might expect, and needs a fixed vcore of... 1.15 I think, because dynamic voltage just doesn't work with overclocking at all. It does do dynamic frequency, though.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-overclocked-to-5-20ghz-with-air-cooling/

Is this news to anyone? Sorry I wasn't keeping up here but this is not at all what I was expecting.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/anton-shilov/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-overclocked-to-5-20ghz-with-air-cooling/

Is this news to anyone? Sorry I wasn't keeping up here but this is not at all what I was expecting.
We heard this before with Devil's Canyon though. Intel was going so far as saying that if you couldn't get 5GHz on air you were doing something wrong. (practically nobody got above 4.8)

Maybe with the FIVR off-chip this time though, we can get something... who knows?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

LiquidRain posted:

We heard this before with Devil's Canyon though. Intel was going so far as saying that if you couldn't get 5GHz on air you were doing something wrong. (practically nobody got above 4.8)

Maybe with the FIVR off-chip this time though, we can get something... who knows?

True. Still, its better than the opposite I guess. And this is a bit more positive (if true) since its not intel based info.

Frankly I thought the OC headroom was just going to decline a bit more this time around but, shows how far out of the loop ive fallen

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

LiquidRain posted:

Well, you get more TDP flexibility on the part of the CPU and iGPU between the higher TDP on the top end pieces and the 5-10(?) ish watts saved by moving the voltage regulators back off the package. I'm sorta surprised they did that since the trend for so long has been increasing integration and simplification of packaging stuff drive by the THIN SMALL LIGHT mania for laptops and tablets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

True. Still, its better than the opposite I guess. And this is a bit more positive (if true) since its not intel based info.

Frankly I thought the OC headroom was just going to decline a bit more this time around but, shows how far out of the loop ive fallen

One positive sign about Skylake is that the non-K chips have a 65W TDP and very similar clocks to the -K parts. This indicates to me that there's a good amount of TDP headroom they're leaving users on the -K chips, with their 95W TDP.