Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

it's interesting that Rebecca had a beret in the prototype because she didn't have one in RE1 but Jill did. I wonder if their rationalization was that all the female members of STARS (yes, all two of them) wore berets and Rebecca had just lost her's in the kerfuffle before Chris finds her.

Personally I am glad that they did away with it when RE0 saw the light of day for the GC, giving Rebecca the same headgear as Jill cheapens her individuality, seeing as all of the other female protagonists have their own thing, Claire had a ponytail and was dressed like a biker (this didn't change much for CV, she wore jeans instead of shorts), Ada is always dressed WAY too formally for the occasion, Jill has he '80s style shoulder pad flak vest and matching beret and then her working girl outfit for 3. Of course Rebecca doesn't really have a "thing" outside of her being in green and white, but I think I remember reading somewhere that they gave her the pink ribbon around her neck for RE0 to give her a unique look.

Aside from all that I guess I am buying a remaster of this game again, because I originally bought the Archives version they released for the Wii back in '08. This looks sooooo pretty though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Wow I didn't think I'd be so impressed by RE0 HD, but that looks really nice.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm kind of hoping a playable demo of the prototype will be available as an unlockable or, if Capcom must, DLC. Even if the demo is only the train section of the game, it'd be pretty cool to say you've played it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm kind of hoping a playable demo of the prototype will be available as an unlockable or, if Capcom must, DLC. Even if the demo is only the train section of the game, it'd be pretty cool to say you've played it.

That would be an incredibly good bonus to have with the game but I don't know if I see that happening.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So what are the different endings you can get in the REremake?

1.Save everybody
2. Save Chris/Jill but not Barry/Rebecca?
3.Save Barry/Rebecca but not Chris/Jill
4.???
5.???
6.Let everybody die

Just did my saveless run as Chris and got the ending where it's just him and it's kinda weird that you just get a casual stroll out of the mansion without any kind of timer or anything. You don't even get to fight Tyrant again. I was so pumped to use the rest of my magnum ammo on him :(

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

1.Save everybody
4.???
5.???
6.Let everybody die

Just did my saveless run as Chris and got the ending where it's just him and it's kinda weird that you just get a casual stroll out of the mansion without any kind of timer or anything. You don't even get to fight Tyrant again. I was so pumped to use the rest of my magnum ammo on him :(

I think there are different results depending on if you let people die during the final fight? But yeah, if Barry/Rebecca don't even make it that far, then there's no final boss and the game ends really anti-climactically.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

1.Save everybody
4.???
5.???
6.Let everybody die

Chris:
1. Save Rebecca and Jill – fight the super-Tyrant, the mansion explodes.
2. Save Rebecca, leave Jill – fight the super-Tyrant, the mansion explodes.
3. Save Rebecca, leave Jill, let Rebecca die in the final fight – fight the super-Tyrant, the mansion explodes.
4. Leave Rebecca, save Jill – no final fight, the mansion remains intact.
5. Leave Rebecca, leave Jill – no final fight, the mansion remains intact.

Obviously flip it around with Barry/Chris for Jill.

Toxsyl
Sep 23, 2012

Somewhere along the line Jill lost a chromosome.

But she kept dat ass.
That's too much effort. Letting Rebecca or Barry die takes a lot longer than it should so I just kill the boss and let everyone live.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Jeez, I gotta say, after play Rev2, it's nearly impossible to go back to Rev1. The first one's lovely dodge mechanic was always a black mark against it, but after having a dedicated dodge button in the second game it feels nearly inexcusable.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Flytrap posted:

Jeez, I gotta say, after play Rev2, it's nearly impossible to go back to Rev1. The first one's lovely dodge mechanic was always a black mark against it, but after having a dedicated dodge button in the second game it feels nearly inexcusable.

I think I may have spoiled myself for the story mode by starting off raid mode as Wesker. I can barely play the game without trying to dodge cancel out of everything. I can't even imagine what Rev 1 was like to play.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

SaffronKit posted:

I think I may have spoiled myself for the story mode by starting off raid mode as Wesker. I can barely play the game without trying to dodge cancel out of everything. I can't even imagine what Rev 1 was like to play.

Pretty close to RE4, with a couple refinements.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rev 2 gun parts: what exactly does "Pierce" effect?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Basticle posted:

Rev 2 gun parts: what exactly does "Pierce" effect?

How many enemies it shoots through at once, I think.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah. It's pretty useless. Charge mostly is too; ammo efficiency is important, but the enemies where you generally want more bang for your buck are bosses, where raw damage briefly takes a backseat to overall DPS and your rate of fire is more important than making every bullet count. It's not useful for small fry either, since taking them out is more about precision targeting of weak points than the actual numbers. It can be decent on magnums though, where ammo really IS that rare.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Pierce in Rev 2 increases enemy penetration and increases damage for every enemy you fire through.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I've just completed R.E. Rev 1 and wondered if anyone knew if the achievements were bugged on steam? I only have two of them and none for completing the stages or don't you get them for being a scrub and playing on easy?

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

I've just completed R.E. Rev 1 and wondered if anyone knew if the achievements were bugged on steam? I only have two of them and none for completing the stages or don't you get them for being a scrub and playing on easy?

April of this year, so I dunno. I doubt they changed anything in that time.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jia posted:

April of this year, so I dunno. I doubt they changed anything in that time.

Well then I dunno, I might uninstall and reinstall to see if that helps. Thanks for the reply.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
BRING BACK OUTBREAK CAPCOM

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Clearly we need to keep buying these HD re-releases until they eventually get to Outbreak out of principle of running out of games to update.

It'd be an interesting thing to do these days, although the whole emote system would be out completely and that was kind of half fun in that game was trying to communicate to your idiot teammates what you wanted with just like 6 different phrases you can say.

Although it'd be great to have a whole new generation of players complain that they didn't get to be Kevin or Mark :v:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Clearly we need to keep buying these HD re-releases until they eventually get to Outbreak out of principle of running out of games to update.

It'd be an interesting thing to do these days, although the whole emote system would be out completely and that was kind of half fun in that game was trying to communicate to your idiot teammates what you wanted with just like 6 different phrases you can say.

Although it'd be great to have a whole new generation of players complain that they didn't get to be Kevin or Mark :v:

But Jim was the best character though. That critical hit chance with the lucky coin made him good.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

But Jim was the best character though. That critical hit chance with the lucky coin made him good.

No no but see, Kevin and Mark started with a gun so they were the best.

Although back when Outbreak was still played i saw that at least on GFAQS people swore more by David and Alyssa just because of free weapons and the lockpicking.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

No no but see, Kevin and Mark started with a gun so they were the best.

Although back when Outbreak was still played i saw that at least on GFAQS people swore more by David and Alyssa just because of free weapons and the lockpicking.

David was surprisingly useful. Alyssa was very situational depending on the level though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
David's arguably overpowered. I saw a lot of people back in the File #2 days who could only beat "Desperate Times" by taking four David-types and spamming his four-hit combo in the corner during the zombie siege. They used to call it the "knife wall."

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kevin is limited by ammo if I remember right, ammo for his gun is really rare in all of the levels. Mark has a much weaker gun that pretty much everyone else will find during the levels anyway so he doesn't have that huge a boon either.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I liked playing Yoko and being a packmule for much of the game but I never was particularly good at Outbreak. :shobon:

A HD Remaster though sounds like the kind of thing I would lose a lot of my life to.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Didn't realize that re.net was having some type of "vote for costume dlc" thing going on for the zero remaster and am now going to be really mad when the Dreamy Billy shirt loses.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

david is easily the best character by miles for most folks because of throwing wrenches having crit chance for some insane reason + folding knife and combo + crafting really strong weapons and repairing broken ones
also he has a unique pistol stance that is actually better than the other character's because it decreases his hitbox what more could you want from him

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 22, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Kevin is limited by ammo if I remember right, ammo for his gun is really rare in all of the levels. Mark has a much weaker gun that pretty much everyone else will find during the levels anyway so he doesn't have that huge a boon either.

Kevin's bonus is having a seven-shot weapon to start that approaches a Magnum in raw stats, so he's got a lot of free damage on the table.

Mark's bonus, essentially, is having a free inventory slot. It's worth more than you'd think.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Sivek posted:

Didn't realize that re.net was having some type of "vote for costume dlc" thing going on for the zero remaster and am now going to be really mad when the Dreamy Billy shirt loses.

Voted.

What do you think the odds are for them to add crimson heads to RE0? Essentially 0%, but I can still hope. :allears:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Dang those are some truly awful shirt designs, I wish I had known about this contest sooner and I would've gotten some pals with some real art skills to enter a design and clean up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84jqA5p92UQ
Revelations 2 is getting a Vita port.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
GETTING a Vita port isn't news, but the fact that it's finally on the way certainly is. I wanted to get it for my Vita originally, but decided I didn't want to wait and got it on PS3 instead. Considering how long they made us wait for it, I'm glad I made that decision.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I just played through the REmake again for podcasting reasons and I remembered my favorite scene from the Director's Cut and thought everyone should watch it.

Catpain Blackudder
Jul 25, 2009

Cluck, cluck, gibber, gibber, my old man's a mushroom, et cetera.

Wanderer posted:

Kevin's bonus is having a seven-shot weapon to start that approaches a Magnum in raw stats, so he's got a lot of free damage on the table.

Mark's bonus, essentially, is having a free inventory slot. It's worth more than you'd think.

Add in his potshot ability and his extra clip in file #2 and you can see why he was popular

Marks handgun also had no damage dropoff making it effective at all ranges because for some reason Outbreak had damage dropoff

Outbreak was a strangely detailed game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Wasen't there also a million hidden costume system as well? Like every level on every difficulty mode had X amount of "layouts" for their hidden items and you had to just go to certain spots on the map mash the X button to pick it up? It was either that or from some kind of points system?

This is all off of my memory of what read i read when the game was active btw, The year i was going to get a Network Adapter to actually play it is when they took down the online for it so :(

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I've been playing RE DC and RE2 again.

I forgot how rediculously easy RE2 is. I dont have REmake for Steam but I played the Gamecube version again a couple of years ago and was kind of irritated at how once you got to the lab it wasnt remotely a challenge since you end up with so much ammo towards the end. Dosent come close to RE2. I finished all 4 scenarios with a combined shotgun/magnum or bolts/grenades of at least 100 rounds. Plus a submachine gun left over. And like 10 first aid sprays or Green+Red herbs. And its not like I wasnt killing the enemies, theres just so goddamn much health and ammo.

also dug this out of the closet

ahhhh the 90s

*edit* I guess I'm so used to it but the bad CG and bad voice acting dosent bother me in the least but hooooooly poo poo the dialogue between Leon and Ada.... especially in Leon B when Ada "dies". Was there more substance to their conversations in the Japanese version that we're missing or did they just write it that dumb originally?

Basticle fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 29, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Wasen't there also a million hidden costume system as well? Like every level on every difficulty mode had X amount of "layouts" for their hidden items and you had to just go to certain spots on the map mash the X button to pick it up? It was either that or from some kind of points system?

This is all off of my memory of what read i read when the game was active btw, The year i was going to get a Network Adapter to actually play it is when they took down the online for it so :(

Every character in Outbreak has a bunch of "SP Items" unique to them that are hidden somewhere in each stage. They're usually unique to a given difficulty and there's no sign whatsoever that they're there, although they're usually at least somewhat relevant to where they're found. There are also a bunch of generic SP Items. Finding them gave you extra points at the end-of-level breakdown. Also, unlocking most of the alternate costumes required you to play as a character and go find five SP Items scattered across each stage that made up the pieces of the costume.

Outbreak File #2's heyday was right before YouTube became a thing. I should go see if I have any of my old maximum-points walkthrough videos, from back when you had to download that kind of thing off FTPs. Getting the actual maximum points out of a given scenario in File #2 was actually pretty interesting, because part of it required you to take no damage and never even hold a weapon.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Wanderer posted:

Outbreak File #2's heyday was right before YouTube became a thing. I should go see if I have any of my old maximum-points walkthrough videos, from back when you had to download that kind of thing off FTPs. Getting the actual maximum points out of a given scenario in File #2 was actually pretty interesting, because part of it required you to take no damage and never even hold a weapon.

gently caress. That.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
This just popped up on the Facebook Resident Evil page.

quote:

Hello Resident Evil fans!
This is Capcom R&D Division 1!
First off, we would like to express our deepest appreciation to all Resident Evil fans, for your passion, enthusiasm and continued support for the Resident Evil brand.
Enthusiasm for a Resident Evil 2 Remake is something we've been hearing from you over the years, and has drawn some recent attention in the media.
However, as the team owns the RE brand, we're not certain how we feel about this approach, and would like to ask your honest and frank opinion about the “Resident Evil 2 Remake” and what the brand identity is supposed to be about?