Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Favela Flav posted:

Hi goons. I hope this is the right thread to post in. I need some app advice and this is my first tablet/android device.

My laptop burned out sooner than i thought it would. The HDD overheated and burned out the motherboard. Im building a gaming rig but i got a got a great deal on a Samsung Tab 4, running on KitKat to tide me over. It does everything i need it to, mostly.. i can access all the stuff i had backed up, plug it into the tv and watch movies, all that stuff.

I hate not being able to do like 10 things at once but thats no biggie.. My help/question/need is.. i need advice on the best app for streaming sites. Ive tried chrome, firefox, flashfox etc.. but they dont seem to have much compatability with dailymotion or vimeo.. flashfox seems to work best but on dailymotion the ads work just fine :rolleyes: but i only get audio on the cartoons and stuff i want to see, and vimeo.. nothing.

I like to stream vids with other goons on some sites and it sucks when a movie comes on and all i get is ads and audio.

Im still getting used to android so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time :downs:

What cartoons man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Favela Flav posted:

Hi goons. I hope this is the right thread to post in. I need some app advice and this is my first tablet/android device.

My laptop burned out sooner than i thought it would. The HDD overheated and burned out the motherboard. Im building a gaming rig but i got a got a great deal on a Samsung Tab 4, running on KitKat to tide me over. It does everything i need it to, mostly.. i can access all the stuff i had backed up, plug it into the tv and watch movies, all that stuff.

I hate not being able to do like 10 things at once but thats no biggie.. My help/question/need is.. i need advice on the best app for streaming sites. Ive tried chrome, firefox, flashfox etc.. but they dont seem to have much compatability with dailymotion or vimeo.. flashfox seems to work best but on dailymotion the ads work just fine :rolleyes: but i only get audio on the cartoons and stuff i want to see, and vimeo.. nothing.

I like to stream vids with other goons on some sites and it sucks when a movie comes on and all i get is ads and audio.

Im still getting used to android so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time :downs:

Have you considered using the dedicated apps for those sites?

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD

Zom Aur posted:

Some people report still being able to connect through XMPP. Other apps, l pidgin, has through plugins implemented the new facebook chat protocol.

I have no idea what the case is with trillian, but it shouldn't be impossible either way.

oh cool I thought facebook was being evil and forcing everyone to use their own thing

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Endless Mike posted:

Have you considered using the dedicated apps for those sites?

BUT BUT BUT FLASH

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Kheldarn posted:

What's a good app for using my phone's camera as a color picker?

Color Grab is really good, or Adobe Color CC if you have a sub with them.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
There was a software app that would sync your text messages with Dropbox and allow you to respond to text message through your tablet and I can't remember the name of it. Google search yields a few names that look familiar but I'm really not sure.

Does anyone know what that is/was? Alternatively, if there is a better idea for having all my texts go to dropbox or google drive I'd appreciate any advice.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

oh cool I thought facebook was being evil and forcing everyone to use their own thing
Well, they kinda are, I suppose. There's also some speculation that the new chat protocol will make a difference on who you see based on what the client identifies as, so you'd only be able to see who's online depending if they use the same client as you.

I think that sounds dumb, and is probably just loose speculation from slashdotters or the like, but I haven't really looked too deeply at this.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Favela Flav posted:

Try Puffin.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Comfortador posted:

There was a software app that would sync your text messages with Dropbox and allow you to respond to text message through your tablet and I can't remember the name of it. Google search yields a few names that look familiar but I'm really not sure.

Does anyone know what that is/was? Alternatively, if there is a better idea for having all my texts go to dropbox or google drive I'd appreciate any advice.

Google voice / hangouts does this for me. Or that sms+ backup or whatever people were just posting about.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Comfortador posted:

Don't know about Dropbox, I use SMS+ Backup to back mine up to Gmail. Works great for single conversations, but group MMS in janky.

Text from Tablet/etc. you want to use MightyText.

Pushbullet will now let you SMS from your desktop, but no tablet features yet.

People will say Hangouts/Voice, but you'd have to use your voice number then and if you were then you wouldn't be asking these questions.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Sms backup + will back it up to gmail, mightytext will let you text from your tablet

Not seen an app that does both though?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

TwistedNails posted:

Color Grab is really good, or Adobe Color CC if you have a sub with them.

Color Grab looks great. Thanks!

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there anything similar to the original pulse? LinkedIn ruined it.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TLG James posted:

Is there anything similar to the original pulse? LinkedIn ruined it.

I've been using pulse for almost 4 years now and LinkedIn hasn't really changed anything with it?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
What do people use as calendar app? There are so many I'm not really sure...
Also, is there any way to do something similar to PushBullet SMS but with WhatsApp?
I don't use SMS at all anymore beside for google 2-way id and all my friends use whatsapp but the app does my head in sometimes with how closed it is.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Le0 posted:

Also, is there any way to do something similar to PushBullet SMS but with WhatsApp?
I don't use SMS at all anymore beside for google 2-way id and all my friends use whatsapp but the app does my head in sometimes with how closed it is.

Sunrise for calendar

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Le0 posted:

I use Google Calendar.

Also I thought PushBullet worked with WhatsApp but I don't use WhatsApp so I may be wrong.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

I use Google Calendar.

Also I thought PushBullet worked with WhatsApp but I don't use WhatsApp so I may be wrong.
Pushbullet should work with whatsapp according to the play store description.

Deadlink
Aug 18, 2003
Va Va Voom bought me this account, what a fine gentlemen he is

Zom Aur posted:

Pushbullet should work with whatsapp according to the play store description.

it lets you reply to WhatsApp messages via the pop up you get, but initiating a new message doesn't seem to be possible, at least not with the windows client

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Yeah just found out about it. I can at least reply that's great already.
Never understood why the whatsapp guys did not do something like that themselves...

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping
Since my S5 got the 5.1.1 update it's started randomly becoming extremely unresponsive and hot to the touch. I'm sure a factory reset would clear things up but I'd like to avoid that if I can and was wondering if there's an app that would be good for tracking down the potential offending app.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Noticed the same thing on my S5. Wasn't sure if I was imagining things.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Skarsnik posted:

Sms backup + will back it up to gmail, mightytext will let you text from your tablet

Not seen an app that does both though?

I might've been merging 2 different apps in my head, its been a few years.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Where the hell did the paid version of Tetris go? I bought it a while ago and have it on my phone, but I'm trying to find and install it on a second phone but I can't even find it in the play store anymore. I even tried using an APK extractor app but while the app installs, it does not launch. It still works on my phone though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Le0 posted:

Whats wrong with WhatsApp Web?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Is Hangouts opening at random sections of a chat thread for anyone else? I don't remember it doing this before I updated my Turbo to 5.1, so maybe that's the cause

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Le0 posted:

Google Calendar.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

XIII posted:

Is Hangouts opening at random sections of a chat thread for anyone else? I don't remember it doing this before I updated my Turbo to 5.1, so maybe that's the cause

It's done that for me every once in awhile for years.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

It's done that for me every once in awhile for years.

I would mind every once in a while, but it's at least 50% of the time

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I've been using pulse for almost 4 years now and LinkedIn hasn't really changed anything with it?

What?

I used to be able to look at a ton of news sources, now it looks like this.

Unless you have an old version or something.

It like auto generates a "compiled" list of your sources.

TLG James fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 22, 2015

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

XIII posted:

Hey is your droid turbo slow as gently caress like mine? :(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

AnimalChin posted:

https://youtu.be/TNjAZZ3vQ8o

It's not slow, it's turbo-tastic.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

AnimalChin posted:

Nope, not at all. I'd say it lives up to its namesake.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Google Opinions surveys are starting to get real weird...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drunk Tomato posted:

That's got to be worth at least thirty cents.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Drunk Tomato posted:

This isn't the Android Games thread :mad:

But yeah, I got a weird one yesterday asking what color the guard rail in the photo was, but it was a small blurry picture that didn't seem to have a guard rail in it.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Any suggestions for an app to turn on the screen when you get a notification? The stock "Ambient Display" setting turns my screen on all the time randomly, and I can barely see it when it does.

Downloaded this : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lukekorth.screennotifications

But it doesn't seem to work. On a Nexus 6 / Fi.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently moved my computer downstairs. Being a Windows machine, it doesn't hibernate reliably, so I'd like to be able to tell it to do that remotely. I tried out Microsoft's remote desktop app, but that only let me log off. Is there some app that will let me do this?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

I recently moved my computer downstairs. Being a Windows machine, it doesn't hibernate reliably, so I'd like to be able to tell it to do that remotely. I tried out Microsoft's remote desktop app, but that only let me log off. Is there some app that will let me do this?

Maybe Chrome Remote Desktop? It will mirror your desktop on your phone/tablet.

E: Apparently, you can also use Tasker for that.

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Zom Aur posted:

Well, they kinda are, I suppose. There's also some speculation that the new chat protocol will make a difference on who you see based on what the client identifies as, so you'd only be able to see who's online depending if they use the same client as you.

I think that sounds dumb, and is probably just loose speculation from slashdotters or the like, but I haven't really looked too deeply at this.
It might be true - third party Facebook apps have this restriction now which has made most contact photo syncing apps, like HaxSync and UberSync, useless.

Sab669 posted:

Any suggestions for an app to turn on the screen when you get a notification? The stock "Ambient Display" setting turns my screen on all the time randomly, and I can barely see it when it does.

Downloaded this : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lukekorth.screennotifications

But it doesn't seem to work. On a Nexus 6 / Fi.
Notify Me! is what I use for this.

• Locked thread