Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Auto update isn't working on the windows x64 version. You'll have to hit the website for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Krataar posted:

Do we have like an IRC channel or a mumble/teamspeak spot for this game? Or set something up if we decided to do weekly games.

I just setup the synirc channel #factgoonio if anyone wants to hop in.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Trip report from a full .12 run:

There certainly don't seem to be any multiplayer memory leaks! Though if you plan to have more people connect, set your initial latency higher than the minimum 33ms. Will make it a lot less choppy.

The new endgame is interesting as hell. You need rocket fuel which is made from Solid Fuel, Low Density parts which is steel, plastic and copper, and rocket control parts which are speed1 mods and blue circuits. And a satellite which needs much of the same, but no rocket control, more blue parts and solar panels and stuff.

The final animation is pretty sweet and REALLY satisfying. Bohdi and I with a good helping midway through from Krymsphoenix finished a passive map in just under 12 hours. 10/10 would sperg again.... next patch.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6E-aVldis

I didn't notice any changes to armor except the generation and requirement being multiplied. I don't recall shields being this strong.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Shields are definitely stronger.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Slickdrac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C6E-aVldis

I didn't notice any changes to armor except the generation and requirement being multiplied. I don't recall shields being this strong.

thank goodness. I hated how it felt like there was no way to take on Big Worms with anything except tank sniping.

EDIT: vv NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 20, 2015

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

From the thread on their forums, it's a bug - they multiplied the power generation and consumption of armour things to account for the new roboport modules, but forgot to boost the shield consumption to match. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

I eventually managed to die, but it took 3 massive base swarms of large spitters and about 12 large worms all hitting me.

Edit: well poo poo :(

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I don't know if this impresses or informs anyone, but I currently play the hell out of Factorio on Ubuntu that has been installed on top of a Chromebook Crouton. It's a "high end" Chromebook (~$250) and it runs really really well even into the end-game. This patch made it run even better with virtually no stutters or freezes.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
go download the 1-minute rocket defense save and then you're allowed to brag about your fps

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I really couldn't care less what my FPS are. That I can run this game on a $250 computer with a medium or even large-ish base with a small RR network and it doesn't choke and die is kind of miraculous.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
FPS is for suckas, UPS is where it's at.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Krysmphoenix posted:

go download the 1-minute rocket defense save and then you're allowed to brag about your fps

Link?

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Here you go. They even created a rocket defense mod since the endgame changed, just so this save file could still exist in all of it's beauty.

EDIT: Oh right, the link. http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13269

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, two shields definitely made me feel completely untouchable, even to huge biter nests.

In other news, the personal robo port is loving amazing. You want a forest gone? Take a dozen construction robots with you and a deconstruction blueprint. You're a loving "gently caress your tribe, this wood is mine now, motherfucker" lumberjack of rainforest proportions. That whole station you have to rework from scratch? No problem at all. Let your tiny swarm of horrors insta-nuke it for you!

Not to mention, if you're travelling in a vehicle and you have a few repair packs, if you crash into something or take damage, a robot will fly out, repair you, and get back in with you automatically. It's amazing.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I got the headless server running indefinitely on my server. Anyone who wants to connect can(modless). The address is ikanreed.net:34197.

If it blows up, let me know.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Want a mod that gives me personal robobuddies in some capacity at the start. Blah blah making the game too easy, but I can't focus long enough to get to them :(

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ikanreed posted:

I got the headless server running indefinitely on my server. Anyone who wants to connect can(modless). The address is ikanreed.net:34197.

Quick update: It seems stable. If no one is on, it's automatically paused. I intend to leave it running forever and let it become a giant clusterfuck of a factory, until the join time is too long for anyone to manage, or my bandwidth usage is excessive.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Did they change console commands? I used to run a few to scout the local area and make sure i liked my map.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

ikanreed posted:

Server is down :(

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

concise posted:

Server is down :(

Back up. Lost it at 5 am, apparently.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Lprsti99 posted:

Want a mod that gives me personal robobuddies in some capacity at the start. Blah blah making the game too easy, but I can't focus long enough to get to them :(

You can just make a custom map and dump the necessities on the ground for you to pick up. I always do that because I hate the first half hour of slowly getting iron and copper and power automated.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You can use console commands to give yourself items.

code:
/c game.player.insert{name="iron-plate",count=100}

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Or just get Test Mode

http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Holy poo poo guys, have you always been able to control pumps when they're connected to circuit networks, or is that a new thing (along with putting storage tanks in the circuit network)?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

FISHMANPET posted:

Holy poo poo guys, have you always been able to control pumps when they're connected to circuit networks, or is that a new thing (along with putting storage tanks in the circuit network)?

I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that in the changelog.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
What happens to existing lasers when you upgrade to .12? I have tons of them lining the walls of my factories, and I dunno how it handles the size change. . .

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Kenlon posted:

What happens to existing lasers when you upgrade to .12? I have tons of them lining the walls of my factories, and I dunno how it handles the size change. . .

They break each other's bounding boxes but otherwise seem to function as normal. You can pick them up, but of course you can't put them back down the same way.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Whats the best way to deal with refineries getting clogged up? The only thing I can think to do is demolish my full storage tanks but that is really inefficient.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Spaseman posted:

Whats the best way to deal with refineries getting clogged up? The only thing I can think to do is demolish my full storage tanks but that is really inefficient.

Use Advanced Oil Processing for lots of gas and light oil.
Crack all the heavy oil to Lubricant, or crack it to light oil if you have enough of that.
Crack all light oil to gas.
Build lots of things that use the gas.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Build more storage tanks, duh. But Kyrsmphoenix has it right, you'll want Advanced Oil Processing so that the only clogging is going to be the really useful petroleum gas, used in plastics and sulfur production.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
With pumps working in a circuit network, I setup my heavy > light crackers so that the heavy oil has to go through a pump, then connected that pump to my lubricant storage tanks, and said the pump should only pump if I have more than 4900 lubricant (the two tanks worth). So that way I get maximum lubricant, but the factory won't shut down if I fill up on lubricant either.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

oxbrain posted:

You can use console commands to give yourself items.

code:
/c game.player.insert{name="iron-plate",count=100}

Is there a place to get all the names of the various items?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The name of every item, bar none, is seen on hoverover, with spaces replaced with dashes. That's the way the code goes.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Thanks. That is a lot more simple than I thought it would be.

http://www.factorioforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Items#Electric_network

Found this in case you don't remember all the item names of stuff you haven't researched yet in your current game.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Havent played this game since 0.10 and it looked like 0.12 changed enough things to keep the game fresh.

I decided to go for the central bus type of design, which is pretty fun and easy on the brain but creates this gigantic sprawling base. (this is good)
One of the bases i made in my previous game could create every item in the game in like a 50x50 tile radius but it only had 1 assembler for each item and was not extendable. This time i have this ridiculous sprawling monstrosity that is very easy to expand.

Still not sure how i feel about logistics robots, especially the personal roboport, logistics robots make everything too easy in my opinion. They are very convenient for clearing trees but enables such lazyness in base design if you use them in stead of conveyor belts.

I had hoped 0.12 had done a few things to the low quality of life features.
I had forgotten how annoying it is to have to remove all those trees. In the game i started i was right in the middle of a huge rear end forest. I suppose i could have restarted until i started in a desert or something, but id rather have a better system for dealing with trees than that. Maybe a tree removing robot you can build early on in the game?
The electricity distribution is also fairly annoying. The basic pole has abysmal coverage and reach so you need these things everywhere. What really gets my blood pressure up though is that the best pole does nothing to rectify the situation, you still need 1 on each side of an assembler to give both inserters power.
The night/day cycle does nothing for me either. Every time it gets dark i find myself just waiting it out and reading stuff on the internet while waiting for it to turn to daytime again. Having it get darkER is fine and adds to immersion, but pitch black does nothing for me. I am not Arumba and cover my entire base with lights, thats just a tedious job that detracts from further expanding my base.

Are there any mods to fix any of these issues? I am not looking to REMOVE ALL TREES or to have DAYTIME ALL THE TIME, or electric poles with 1000 tile coverage but something moderate to increase the quality of life when playing the game.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Logistic robots is a trade-off of bandwidth and parts vs belts. They take an incredible amount of different components to make whereas belts are, at it's core, just iron, gears and lubricant for the top tier. Additionally if you don't care how long a volume of things take to build then the robits are the way to go.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Sage Grimm posted:

Logistic robots is a trade-off of bandwidth and parts vs belts. They take an incredible amount of different components to make whereas belts are, at it's core, just iron, gears and lubricant for the top tier. Additionally if you don't care how long a volume of things take to build then the robits are the way to go.

When I have over 5000 logistics robots I'm pretty sure they outdo belts.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

When I have over 5000 logistics robots I'm pretty sure they outdo belts.

His point is that the resources and time put in to manufacturing those 5000 robots is astronomically higher than if you used belts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Does anyone else use Circuit networks?

I've only just gotten into them and am finding it really useful for managing materials I don't need a whole lot of. I never really need more than 100 Grenades sitting about and a system that'll automatically keep it at that number is great.

Not managed to use the new Combinators for anything yet, but I'm sure I'll think of a reason to eventually.