Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
Lucozade is the Gatorade like sports drink. Tasty stuff, especially good for rehydration during a hangover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

minstrels posted:

Lucozade is the Gatorade like sports drink. Tasty stuff, especially good for rehydration during a hangover.

Yes! That was it. Thank you :cheers:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Thanks for posting, man. Really fun read :)

Also, had back to back birdies today. First time in a while!

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009

DJExile posted:

Yes! That was it. Thank you :cheers:

Now hurry up and post the pictures!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

minstrels posted:

I was ready to say, "Irn-Bru," since that stuff tastes like salty orange Coke.

I got some for free from a guy stocking a vending machine on the way to Inverness. I found some much later in a British import shop in Houston. Still gross.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

:slick: FINAL TWO DAYS AT CARNEGIE CLUB PICTURE AND CARD DUMP POOOSSSSTTT :slick:

That's the locker room, no I'm not kidding.

These are all the halfway house. I don't know if there is a competition of halfway houses but this would win in a landslide.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Front 9: 46 with 2 triples to start then a string of pars and bogeys.

Set myself up to break 100 for the first time since 1997.

Back 9: 55 I shot 10 on 2 holes, one of them being the easiest par 4 on the course.

The heat was really getting to me, and each bad shot led to another and another and I reached peak poo poo when I came down on top of my club after I lost balance taking a reckless swing in an attempt to crush a 5W. Bruised, beaten, and tired I finished with yet another string of pars.

This game guys. This game. :smithicide:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Keep at it :shobon:, you will come agonizingly close to breaking a mark several times, and it is a beautiful thing when you do finally make it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Front 9: 46 with 2 triples to start then a string of pars and bogeys.

Set myself up to break 100 for the first time since 1997.

Back 9: 55 I shot 10 on 2 holes, one of them being the easiest par 4 on the course.

The heat was really getting to me, and each bad shot led to another and another and I reached peak poo poo when I came down on top of my club after I lost balance taking a reckless swing in an attempt to crush a 5W. Bruised, beaten, and tired I finished with yet another string of pars.

This game guys. This game. :smithicide:

I shot 62-44 a couple days ago.

Golf.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
no deep fried Haggis reports = fail

I would retire and live in that halfway house.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I had some beef and haggis sausages if that counts. They were really good.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009
I have a couple of questions about golf balls.

I'm going to be joining a club and the driving range they have is a hit your own balls and pick them up type deal. It's going to be beneficial for me to practice there with the exact balls I'm going to play on the course, isn't it? Especially as I plan to track my yardages for each club there with GPS.

Secondly, is the Pro V1 the ball of choice even for someone as poo poo as me?

And lastly, is there a good UK equivalent of LostGolfBalls? There's plenty of different brands of lake/refurbished balls on golf sites here and pretty much all of the reviews are either excellent or rubbish which makes it hard to pick.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

How poo poo is poo poo? If you can't regularly shape a golf ball you shouldn't be playing a Pro-V, it will just hurt your game.

Balls that are designed to go straighter obviously won't give you the control around the greens that a Pro-V will but you also won't be side spinning into the junk, or at least as far into the junk.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Wait, you have to hit your own balls on the range and then walk out and go pick them up?

I don't think I've ever heard of that, is that common in the UK?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Generally, if you have to ask then it doesn't really matter what ball you play. Although different balls do feel different on short game shots and putting, but again, if you have to ask then it probably won't matter yet. Buy whatever is cheap.

aehiilrs
Apr 1, 2007
Played my first non-best-ball golf in 6 weeks, 9 holes at a nice local course. Even after 5, then couldn't hit a drat tee shot. Pulled my irons way right and sliced my driver a mile the other way. Ended up +3.

Golf.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I've never seen this before, didn't know it existed. Thank you.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Because Golf is essentially Schadenfreude and I'm a horrible human who needs someone to suffer to feel good.

Giant Goober
Nov 6, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

Wait, you have to hit your own balls on the range and then walk out and go pick them up?

It's pretty common in NZ, usually small courses that don't have enough room for a full driving range. You might be limited to a 6 iron or less and possibly hitting down part of a fairway. Most people just buy heaps of random well used golf balls and put a pretty obvious marking on them. There's no point spending money on them as they'll get lost quickly.

minstrels
Nov 15, 2009

DoctaFun posted:

I've no idea as I'm still fairly new to the sport but I'd guess they do it to keep costs down as it's just a grass field with a few markers so all they have to do is cut the grass occasionally.

I think it's a good idea, it encourages you not to just endlessly hit balls and it doesn't take anywhere near as long as you'd think to pick up your balls.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Thanks for the updates & pictures from your golf trip DJ. I'll have to make the effort to visit those courses soon.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

So you hit your shag bag and then walk down range to pick up your balls while everyone else may or may not still be hitting?

That poo poo would never fly in the litigious 'Merica.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halo14 posted:

Thanks for the updates & pictures from your golf trip DJ. I'll have to make the effort to visit those courses soon.

Glad you enjoyed! It's not the easiest area to get to (Dornoch is a 3 hour drive from Edinburgh airport. Inverness airport is much closer but it's small and getting there might mean you deal with a long layover), but it's absolutely worth it.

Travelling to the area from the states, you basically have 3 airports you can go to before Edinburgh; London, Paris or Amsterdam (For the curious, we flew on Delta from Detroit to Amsterdam to Edinburgh, then reversed it coming home). I'd 100% recommend Amsterdam as the least of 3 evils. Heathrow is basically a coin-toss as to whether you'll have a smooth or awful experience, and Paris CDG can be a nightmare. Amsterdam is being renovated but you can get through it fairly smoothly.

If memory serves you're an Aussie, and I don't know how you'd be routed coming up from there, but I'd imagine you'd likely wind up at one of those 3.

For US golfers going overseas, I really can't recommend signing up for Global Entry enough. It obviously doesn't do much for you going out (other than TSA Pre-Check), but I cleared customs and got to the bag claim in less than 4 minutes back in Detroit. It is an absolute godsend not having to sit in line for a long while, especially if another big international flight landed around the same time you did. I think it costs something like $80-85 and gives you TSA Pre-Check on every domestic and international departure, which is awesome.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

There are a few direct flights to Edinburgh (I know United flies from Newark to Edinburgh regularly), but the cheapest route will vary. That route is absolutely the least hassle, depending upon which airport and hub you are near.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Well I had a choke-tastic round last night. I'll post the scorecard later, but I played a round last night in some pretty strong winds from the back tees at my home course, which is like 7000 yards and a 74.1 rating.

I hit the ball just beautifully for most of the round. A few hiccups(mainly on the greens), but with how windy it was I was really happy with how I played. Some highlights:

hole 16, 230 yard par 3: This was playing right into the wind, I hit a 3 wood off the tee and hit the green but still about 30 feet short. Two putt par.

hole 18, 473 yard par 5: This hole was playing with a right to left wind, but slightly hurting. There is one part of the fairway if you hit it just right it will get a big bounce and give you probably an extra 30 yards distance, but it requires you to cut off a bit of a nasty waste bunker that you don't want to be in, especially from the black tees. I hit a perfect drive and had 120 yards to the pin. Hit a SW to about 3 feet and tapped in for birdie. I don't think I've ever birdied this hole from the blacks.

Now how about some low lights? I started on the 12th hole today so that I wouldn't have to wait on other groups, it's a 480 yard par 4 that was playing into the wind on the tee shot and then a cross breeze on the 2nd. I bogied that(which is fine, it was playing more like a par 5), then shot even par over the next 15 holes(1 bogey, 1 double and 3 birdies) leading into the 10th.

10th hole: Hit a good drive in the fairway, then an okay approach to about 30 feet and three putt :(.

11th hole, short par 5 playing downwind: After hitting all but one fairway on the day, I hit a ridiculously bad tee shot about 40 yards OB. :suicide:. Then take 5 more strokes to get in the hole and I finish with a nice double bogey on what I think is the easiest par 5 on the course. FML.

Oh, did I mention that I doubled the par 5 4th? No OB on that hole though, I was sitting at 110 yards after my 2nd shot and took a 7.

Here's something that doesn't happen to me everyday:

par 3's: Even.
par 4's: Even.
par 5's: +4.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DuckHuntDog posted:

There are a few direct flights to Edinburgh (I know United flies from Newark to Edinburgh regularly), but the cheapest route will vary. That route is absolutely the least hassle, depending upon which airport and hub you are near.

Yeah I think we took that route going out 3 years ago and came home Dublin > Newark > Detroit. Newark isn't a terrible airport but it's definitely showing its age. Going back through american security when we got there (we cleared US customs in Dublin) took a long rear end time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And now back to my course to see if anything I learned in Scotland managed to stick :v:

Trip report to follow

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
I had a pretty disappointing round today. 3 birdies against 7 bogeys. I had 4 3 putts. Two of them were on an Amen Corner replica. Hit a drive to 115 on "No. 11," the par 4. Hit a gap wedge a little long, ran my putt by 3 feet. My par putt horseshoed right back at me. Two putted for par from 10 feet on "No. 12," the par 3. Hit a gorgeous drive on the next hole, "No. 13," the par 5. Hit a 6i a little bit skinny but landed it on the front fringe...with less than 18 feet for eagle. Lagged it to a few feet, birdie putt spun out sideways.

Three putted for bogey on another par 5, a Pebble Beach replica. Putting woes were ever present, with two of my birdies being kick-ins after stuffed wedges. Of course, as I'm ready to fling my putter into the water, I drain a 40 footer for birdie on 17.

Stupid, stupid game.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

squirrelzipper posted:

Because Golf is essentially Schadenfreude and I'm a horrible human who needs someone to suffer to feel good.

Kameh posted:

Stupid, stupid game.

I hate myself, so I play golf.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
There's nothing more relaxing than spending 4 hours in my own personal hell.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I mean, it IS Robin Williams' birthday...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnFbCCgTo4

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo very well improved. Here's the last full round I played at TCC:

Tonight's round:

My chipping game is getting downright deadly, to the point where I'm almost kinda happy to leave approaches short.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Well I had a choke-tastic round last night. I'll post the scorecard later, but I played a round last night in some pretty strong winds from the back tees at my home course, which is like 7000 yards and a 74.1 rating.

I hit the ball just beautifully for most of the round. A few hiccups(mainly on the greens), but with how windy it was I was really happy with how I played. Some highlights:

hole 16, 230 yard par 3: This was playing right into the wind, I hit a 3 wood off the tee and hit the green but still about 30 feet short. Two putt par.

hole 18, 473 yard par 5: This hole was playing with a right to left wind, but slightly hurting. There is one part of the fairway if you hit it just right it will get a big bounce and give you probably an extra 30 yards distance, but it requires you to cut off a bit of a nasty waste bunker that you don't want to be in, especially from the black tees. I hit a perfect drive and had 120 yards to the pin. Hit a SW to about 3 feet and tapped in for birdie. I don't think I've ever birdied this hole from the blacks.

Now how about some low lights? I started on the 12th hole today so that I wouldn't have to wait on other groups, it's a 480 yard par 4 that was playing into the wind on the tee shot and then a cross breeze on the 2nd. I bogied that(which is fine, it was playing more like a par 5), then shot even par over the next 15 holes(1 bogey, 1 double and 3 birdies) leading into the 10th.

10th hole: Hit a good drive in the fairway, then an okay approach to about 30 feet and three putt :(.

11th hole, short par 5 playing downwind: After hitting all but one fairway on the day, I hit a ridiculously bad tee shot about 40 yards OB. :suicide:. Then take 5 more strokes to get in the hole and I finish with a nice double bogey on what I think is the easiest par 5 on the course. FML.

Oh, did I mention that I doubled the par 5 4th? No OB on that hole though, I was sitting at 110 yards after my 2nd shot and took a 7.

Here's something that doesn't happen to me everyday:

par 3's: Even.
par 4's: Even.
par 5's: +4.

Doc, looks like I should be good to go for golfing anytime next week. I'd prefer that we play at a slightly less $$ course anywhere in the metro, but if you can wrangle up any type of deal for me at SB, I'd be game to tee it up there.

Let me know!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zinc68 posted:

Doc, looks like I should be good to go for golfing anytime next week. I'd prefer that we play at a slightly less $$ course anywhere in the metro, but if you can wrangle up any type of deal for me at SB, I'd be game to tee it up there.

Let me know!

Sweeeet, I think it's $65 w/cart if you play with me at Stoneridge, Maybe $49 or $55 if we walk? I will have to double check those, but I know it's a fairly significant discount off the rack rate.

If that's too much I'm down for grabbing twilight somewhere. I'm up in the NE metro but can travel just about anywhere on weekends(weekdays are tougher since I just started a new job).

How would next Saturday or Sunday morning work? Otherwise I can do after work one day, would probably should for Wednesdays or Mondays as they tend to be less busy.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
Played a course in the Houston Medical District. It's short (~6,000 from the tips), but most of the par 4s have a pond or junk in front of the green. It's pricier than a lot of public courses in Houston, but they do well to put the money back in to the course. Also Jesus Christ it was hot outside. Temps peaked at 99 during the round, and the heat index was well over 100 F. Walking was quite the challenge.

I was hitting the ball extremely well. My fairway misses were still struck solidly, and except for 9, I still had a full swing and a good chance to get the ball on the green. After a really bad putting round on quick greens, I had a decent bounce back today on some slightly slower greens. If the greens yesterday were rolling at an 11, I would guess these were an 8. I left a lot of putts 6-12 inches short, so still a little bit of scar tissue, but I'll take it for now.

Hole 1 - Gentle dogleg left with a pond most of the way down the left. A lot of people hit hybrids or even mid irons off the tee, but a mishit here brings that pond into play. I elect to hit an easy driver to take the water out of play, and there's a crescent shaped hill at the corner to stop balls from running into a maintenance shed. This is where my tee shot finished. Ball was above my feet, only had 100 yards to the pin. Lone pine tree with overhanging branches prevented me from taking a full SW in, so I dropped to my 50* in an attempt to keep it just below the first limb. Instead, I hit a glorious 3/4 shot that clipped the underside of the limb and spiraled down to the right rough just off the green. Easy chip for an up and down par.

Hole 2 - Hit a pretty good drive, left myself 130 into the wind. Dropped down to a 9i, hit it right on line. Ball stopped 3 inches right of the hole. Almost an eagle!

Hole 3 - Maybe the only bad iron swing of the day for me. Caught a 7i a little high on the face, left it on the very front of a long green. Two putted from 65 feet for par. This is when I knew I'd have a better day on the greens.

Hole 4 - Flushed a drive down the center, had 57 yards to the middle pin. Hit a dead arm wedge to 15 feet, just misread the break. Par.

Hole 5 - The pond in front of the green starts at 270 on the left side of the fairway and 257 on the right side. It usually plays into a stiff wind, so I don't feel nervous about hitting a cut with the driver. However, instead of hitting a cut off the left side, I hit a big bomb straight and into the left trees. Managed to pick a 9i off some hardpan to the right greenside rough, but I got aggressive on my downhill chip and couldn't convert the comebacker for par.

Hole 6 - Bounce back! Hit another big drive down the middle, hit a 6i up and over the trees at the corner. It's a kidney-shaped green. I was on the back center, pin was back left. Rolled in a 35 footer for eagle. Man that felt good.

Hole 7 - Hit a stock 7i to the center of the green, left the downhill birdie putt a foot short.

Hole 8 - Couldn't have placed my drive any more perfectly at the end of the fairway. Wasn't sure I could get a GW there from 115 into the wind, so I stepped on it and left myself a pretty long birdie putt. This was the second consecutive downhill birdie putt I left short. Over both putts, I was imagining the hole to be a few feet short of the actual hole, but all that managed to do for me was leave the ball right where the imaginary hole was.

Hole 9 - This should be a 3w hole, but I was still feeling good about my driver. Why leave myself 100 yards when I could leave myself 60-70? Welp, hit a pull draw into the left trees, had to punch out short of the green. Did well to pitch it up to the back tier, made a 5 footer for par.

Hole 10, 11, 12 - Good drives, good approaches to just below the hole, left putts online but short.

Hole 13 - There's a pond at 260, so I dropped down to a 3 wood. Hit it decently but on the right side into some newly planted trees. Thankfully, the course is allowing for free drops away from these trees, so I took relief, hit a hybrid into the greenside bunker, and splashed out from an upslope to 4 feet for birdie. That one felt nice, too. I've been hitting way too closely to the ball out of the bunker in my last few rounds, sending it way long. Not so with that one.

Hole 14 - Long par 3 that was playing 190 or so. I don't even think I've ever hit this green before, but I managed to stiff a 4i in a hard left-to-right wind. Really wanted this one to drop, but I gave it a little too much speed for the break I picked.

Hole 15 - Nice 3W to the end of the fairway, full GW just over the top of the flag into the back fringe. Easy enough to putt, but I left the ~15 footer (again, downhill) right in the jaws.

Hole 16 - This can be one of the longer par 4s on the course with a hurting wind. There are two high-rises on the left edge of the fairway that would be perfect to split with a cut. Of course, I didn't want to lose it right, so I hit a pretty amazing looking power draw almost OB. Found it on the edge of the course in some trees, and I managed to hoist a PW to the back fringe. Putted down to even with the hole but about a foot left. Tapped that in for par.

Hole 17 - Hit a nice 6i over the flag but a little longer than I thought. 30 footer, had a hard break to the left at the end, and I was pretty sure I made it. I raised my arms in celebration...then watched it continue to roll by the hole lol. I'm that guy on the course.

Hole 18 - Hit a draw off the left center part of the fairway instead of a fade. Found the left rough, but had a full SW in. Hit it pin high, dead center of the green. The pin was placed right at the end of the slope below the back tier, so the more break I played (up the slope), the more it would come back. Played more break than I initially wanted, but it still finished on the low side. Easy par.

So overall, pretty good round. I'm supposed to play a pretty new casino course in Lake Charles on Sunday. It looked pretty tight from the road coming in, so I might not be able to get away with quite as many driver misses.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 23, 2015

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/07/robert-allenby-and-caddie-part.html

Robert Allenby pulls a Happy Gilmore and fires his caddy midround, gets a fan to finish looping for him.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kameh posted:

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2015/07/robert-allenby-and-caddie-part.html

Robert Allenby pulls a Happy Gilmore and fires his caddy midround, gets a fan to finish looping for him.

quote:

According to FOX Sports Australia - Allenby's native land - Middlemo is the fourth caddie to walk off during a round with Allenby.

holy poo poo hahahaha what is this guy's deal?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Isn't Allenby the same guy who claimed he was kidnapped or something and held hostage but it turned out he was just on like a weekend long bender and couldn't explain where he was or how he got there?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

Isn't Allenby the same guy who claimed he was kidnapped or something and held hostage but it turned out he was just on like a weekend long bender and couldn't explain where he was or how he got there?

The same!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION
My favorite part is Allenby accusing him of not being a true Australian.

Are Australians routinely and publicly insulted by their employers? Because that sounds rather American to me. :911:

Edit - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/golf/insult-proved-the-last-straw-for-robert-allenbys-caddie/story-fnaxw0m2-1227456225768 for context

Kameh fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 24, 2015