Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lagomorphic posted:

I'm still enjoying the game. Honestly all of the the railroading sort of fits the theme. The Foresters are a minor house caught on the losing side of a war. So the constant struggling in vain against greater forces only to get hosed over constantly by factors beyond your control feels pretty appropriate for a GoT story.

I'm fine with it overall and I'm certainly not surprised. Since the end of the first episode I've just been making reckless decisions to make things as fun as possible without caring about who lives or dies.

It's still pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

I'm fine with it overall and I'm certainly not surprised. Since the end of the first episode I've just been making reckless decisions to make things as fun as possible without caring about who lives or dies.

It's still pretty dumb.

I went in with the expectation that no matter what you do the family is doomed.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
Overall I thought the episode was kinda meh, lots of dumb things Finn getting killed off because Telltale choices, Gryff's eye was fine even though I bashed it, The "Army of Sellswords" ending up being 5 people who I think half died anyways I went with Asher for who lived, I'm still conflicted on who would be the better choice but I do like the fact that now they have the Forrestor Sword, I hope Asher has some interaction with Gwyn oh and does anyone know what happens if you spare Bloodsong?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Ekusukariba posted:

Overall I thought the episode was kinda meh, lots of dumb things Finn getting killed off because Telltale choices, Gryff's eye was fine even though I bashed it, The "Army of Sellswords" ending up being 5 people who I think half died anyways I went with Asher for who lived, I'm still conflicted on who would be the better choice but I do like the fact that now they have the Forrestor Sword, I hope Asher has some interaction with Gwyn oh and does anyone know what happens if you spare Bloodsong?

Yeah I went with Asher at the end as well. I've been having Rodrik eating poo poo for the sake of his family all season so it made sense for him to go out in a heroic blaze of glory. I also think Asher will be more fun to have around in the end. Bloodsong joins up with Asher if you spare him, so that he can get the honorable death that you stole from him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I'm seeing this trainwreck through to the end but I'm totally done with Telltale after this. This is the exact same poo poo that happened in TWD Season 2 where characters do complete 180s and contradict past events all for the sake of cheap twists and contrived conflict.

Sean and Jake were really the ones keeping the ship in shape. At least Life is Strange Episode 4 should be out next week.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah, I'm seeing this trainwreck through to the end but I'm totally done with Telltale after this. This is the exact same poo poo that happened in TWD Season 2 where characters do complete 180s and contradict past events all for the sake of cheap twists and contrived conflict.

Sean and Jake were really the ones keeping the ship in shape. At least Life is Strange Episode 4 should be out next week.

Tales from the Borderlands is really, really good and its too bad people aren't more interested in Telltale series that aren't grimdark.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
The eye thing really bugs me, I know its such a little detail but why even make an option to bash his face in and blind him in an eye if he can just magically heal it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

So It Goes posted:

Tales from the Borderlands is really, really good and its too bad people aren't more interested in Telltale series that aren't grimdark.
I ain't giving any money to Gearbox though.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Regarding the last choice: I honestly just couldn't muster the strength to care that much when the choice of who to save was presented, and just went with saving Asher, since I find his and Beska's story far more interesting than anyone else's.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
So is Gared just going to show up with Ice Dragons and save the day or something? Because I can't really think of a way he can help, he still has yet to find the North Grove, so he assumable finds it next episode but then what? get all the way back to Ironrath area with whatever he finds, getting past the Wall in the process. At first Gared was my favorite person to play as but now it's just getting boring to be him

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Oh look its Ramsey Bolton *yawns and mashes buttons until he goes away*

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Oh look its Ramsey Bolton *yawns and mashes buttons until he goes away*

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I picked asher to live. He is a warrior and not wounded and he has respect of an bunch of sellswords and my honest guess of the ending is both houses will die horribly.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Its sad really. I was super excited when TT:GoT was announced cause Walking Dead was so good. This series has just been so bleeeehhh.

Every episode everything gets set back to status quo despite what choices you make:

I mean, its the best GoT Game, but that's not really saying much cause I feel like its the worst thing Telltale has done post Walking Dead season 1 (yeah, I said it...GoT is worse than Walking Dead season 2).

Its been 4 episodes of wheel spinning, and then this one just bullet-trains to the conclusion, drat your choices and narrative logic. I don't expect the game to be completely reactive, there's no budget for that. I think Telltale bit off way more than they could chew with this one. Multiple characters seemed like an interesting idea, but there's too many "story balls" to juggle, and the narratives can't develop in any major from choices made so that they don't trod on any of the other character's stories.

Tales from the Borderlands at least feels like its going somewhere and your small choices do seem to bend the narrative slightly. Also its refreshing to have a funny game.

Ah well, Life is Strange's next episode will be out next week, hope its better.

Saved Asher cause he's more interesting.. I don't expect it to amount to much.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jul 22, 2015

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
I'd say this is better than season 2 of walking dead because there's actually some likable characters

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

At this point I'm not sure if they even have a plan for the North Grove considering how long they're stalling on that one.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I saved Rodrick, but Beshka's reaction made me want to cry

Also I promised Talia I'd kill the traitor then spared him anyway. Sorry, sister, but a chance to save our littlest brother is more important than your fee fees.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

bobjr posted:

At this point I'm not sure if they even have a plan for the North Grove considering how long they're stalling on that one.

Honestly the most appropriate thing for the source material would be if this story goes on for multiple seasons and they drag the North Grove plot on for years without explaining why it's important or what it has to do with everything else.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Also I promised Talia I'd kill the traitor then spared him anyway. Sorry, sister, but a chance to save our littlest brother is more important than your fee fees.

Did this actually affect the outcome in any way?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Lagomorphic posted:

Honestly the most appropriate thing for the source material would be if this story goes on for multiple seasons and they drag the North Grove plot on for years without explaining why it's important or what it has to do with everything else.

Did this actually affect the outcome in any way?

If you spare the traitor, Rodrick just has him put in the dungeon before going off to meet Asher and the fighters. I expect he will appear next episode.

Don't get me wrong, I would have killed him if he hadn't offered to help with Ryon. A servant who won't obey is useless to a lord :black101:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I don't even want to help the Forrester's I just want Asher and Beshka to live happily together on adventures.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah I'm with the people that say they have no idea what The North Grove is even going to be or how it will figure into the ending. We haven't even gotten there yet and there's one last episode to get there and make it relevant to what's going on at home. It can't end well either. Either it will just be a huge waste of time shaggydog thing or it will be some big thing that saves the day and makes all the other sacrifices that have happened meaningless.

Also not sure how Mira's stuff will be relevant.

Feels to me like they could have left those two plots out and maybe used them for later series with this and maybe just focused on Ironwrath and Asher's plots in this series and it would have been better.

Traitor plot was also really underwhelming. I would have rather they gone with the super obvious answer Maester, or maybe if they went a really shocking route and made it the mother, than the weird sentinel switcheroo thing we ended up getting. Probably would have made for a better storyline if it was a set person even if that person was a little obvious. Oh well. Also it didn't even make sense what Royland was saying about how I was weak, because even though I picked Duncan I always stood up to the Whitehills and everyone else, I never ever made myself look weak. Also saying the traitor was just bitter cause he wasn't picked doesn't make much sense either because Rodrik wasn't even the one who picked that(or did he I can't even remember. But I'm pretty sure that was Ethan)!

Also wasn't too impressed with Asher's army. Maybe we're supposed to imagine there are more than that, but it felt like there were barely any left after the ambush. And they just had to kill off Strong Belwas didn't they... I couldn't leave Asher because I had to keep the Asher/Beshka partnership alive though it would've maybe been interesting to see how Rodrik dealt with the three or so "sellswords" left. But I felt like it was the logical conclusion for his arc, he came back crippled but kept his house respectable until help came and then sacrificed. Asher dying after bringing a handful of dorks over with him just makes his whole plot a waste, so I kept his thing going. And for people who were ready for an ambush they all sure got caught with their pants down.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 22, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Echoing the statement that this game would have been far more interesting if was near 100% Mira. She's been the only character I've cared about since episode 2. Everyone else is just constantly getting poo poo on, but she's actively improving things while evolving as a character. This means, of course, that she will have the most tragic and least satisfying ending.

Did anyone besides me not try to kill Ramsay because you knew he had plot armor so why even bother? What even happens if you try?

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

jon joe posted:

Echoing the statement that this game would have been far more interesting if was near 100% Mira. She's been the only character I've cared about since episode 2. Everyone else is just constantly getting poo poo on, but she's actively improving things while evolving as a character. This means, of course, that she will have the most tragic and least satisfying ending.

Did anyone besides me not try to kill Ramsay because you knew he had plot armor so why even bother? What even happens if you try?

You cut him a little bit I think? or almost cut him, either way he's impressed and says maybe you aren't so crippled and he'll have to be more careful

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Kawalimus posted:

Yeah I'm with the people that say they have no idea what The North Grove is even going to be or how it will figure into the ending. We haven't even gotten there yet and there's one last episode to get there and make it relevant to what's going on at home. It can't end well either. Either it will just be a huge waste of time shaggydog thing or it will be some big thing that saves the day and makes all the other sacrifices that have happened meaningless.

You get there and it's just Rickon chilling with the actual Shaggydog

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Georgia Peach posted:

You get there and it's just Rickon chilling with the actual Shaggydog

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Not going to lie, the Chinese guy out of nowhere got a big laugh out of me.

Medieval knight. Medieval knight. Medieval knight. Kung-fu Master. Medieval knight. Medieval knight.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think telltale games, (not walking dead season 1 and maybe not borderlands because it probably doesn't rely as much on shock) have a heavy rain effect.

That is, it's fine if you play them once and never touch it again. As soon as you engage in discussion or play it again a second time, the illusion is severely ruined.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

I think telltale games, (not walking dead season 1 and maybe not borderlands because it probably doesn't rely as much on shock) have a heavy rain effect.

That is, it's fine if you play them once and never touch it again. As soon as you engage in discussion or play it again a second time, the illusion is severely ruined.
TWD Season 1's plot didn't deviate that much but relationships with characters did, like how people viewed Kenny in wildly different ways. Everything that Telltale's made after doesn't do that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's funny to me because once you know the Telltale formula, it's still kinda ruined, even if you don't go back through the game. I had brought the mean Night Watch dude along with me in the previous episode, so I knew without a shadow of a doubt he would be dead. Sure enough, it happened.

I keep thinking about how great season 1 of TWD was, and how they handled decisions like that. At least there they let characters live longer than an episode after a critical path decision was made, so you would let your guard down. Here, it's just been "was there a possibility for that character to not be here? They're gonna die."

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Max posted:

It's funny to me because once you know the Telltale formula, it's still kinda ruined, even if you don't go back through the game. I had brought the mean Night Watch dude along with me in the previous episode, so I knew without a shadow of a doubt he would be dead. Sure enough, it happened.

I keep thinking about how great season 1 of TWD was, and how they handled decisions like that. At least there they let characters live longer than an episode after a critical path decision was made, so you would let your guard down. Here, it's just been "was there a possibility for that character to not be here? They're gonna die."

Ben was a great example of this. No matter what he dies, but if you let him die at the clock tower at the end of Episode 4 like I did you miss out on a fantastic character moment between him and Kenny in the last episode that ties both their arcs up.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 22, 2015

Max
Nov 30, 2002

TWD Season 1 spoiler Yes, Ben was a fantastic example. There was actually a major difference in his characterization if you kept him around, and he still participated in conversations. As was whichever person you saved in episode 1. One of them really pushes you to confess what you did before the outbreak, and they get to hang around for a full episode, so when they die, it actually takes you a little by surprise.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Irish Joe posted:

Not going to lie, the Chinese guy out of nowhere got a big laugh out of me.

Medieval knight. Medieval knight. Medieval knight. Kung-fu Master. Medieval knight. Medieval knight.

He's from Yi Ti! Yi Ti and YiTish people have been mentioned in passing a few times in ASoIaF, but the country seems to be far away and isolated from Westeros, just as the real China was relatively isolated from the rest of the world until fairly recently.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So It Goes posted:

I plan to pick that series up when the final episode comes out. It looks more interesting than the Game of Thrones has turned out to be. They should try to make their own IP next. Hell I'm a little interested in the Minecraft one solely because they won't have their hands tied when it comes to storylines and who can and can't die.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spikeguy posted:

I plan to pick that series up when the final episode comes out. It looks more interesting than the Game of Thrones has turned out to be. They should try to make their own IP next. Hell I'm a little interested in the Minecraft one solely because they won't have their hands tied when it comes to storylines and who can and can't die.

Notch will remember that.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
The trailer for the telltale minecraft thing looks absolutely awful. Like, that art style is just hideous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAnRtMEDrvU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I dunno how much I'd even want the minecraft one. Definitely not buying at launch, and depending on reviews, see if it's worth it at a couple of bucks I'm the inevitable sale.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So It Goes posted:

The trailer for the telltale minecraft thing looks absolutely awful. Like, that art style is just hideous.

yeah. it doesn't look that great, i might pick up the first episode, but other then that ehh. i want telltale to pick up more franchise or maybe a new IP. GoT is alright, it has a decent amount of gut punches, the obvious problem is the amount of plot armored show/book characters that appear in the game. my honest guess is that it they are gonna end it on a cliffhanger for a possible season 2.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 22, 2015

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Glad to see the game doesn't know what to do or give a gently caress if you agree with Royland in almost all circumstances but make the other guy your sentinel.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

So It Goes posted:

It's basically just playing a Minecraft Machinima? So is this game for like kids rather than the normal older fanbase that telltale games have? and does anyone recognize the female voice? sounds really familiar, Ellie from Last of Us?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. it doesn't look that great, i might pick up the first episode, but other then that ehh. i want telltale to pick up more franchise or maybe a new IP. GoT is alright, it has a decent amount of gut punches, the obvious problem is the amount of plot armored show/book characters that appear in the game. my honest guess is that it they are gonna end it on a cliffhanger for a possible season 2.

I hope there is no season 2 because that guarantees that the surviving brother is for sure dying. I can think of a few franchises that could be interesting games but I don't really trust Telltale to make them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ekusukariba posted:

It's basically just playing a Minecraft Machinima? So is this game for like kids rather than the normal older fanbase that telltale games have? and does anyone recognize the female voice? sounds really familiar, Ellie from Last of Us?

I hope there is no season 2 because that guarantees that the surviving brother is for sure dying. I can think of a few franchises that could be interesting games but I don't really trust Telltale to make them

maybe. My honest guess is the all the families will kill each other to the last person.

• Locked thread