Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Opopanax posted:

Too late!

##vote opop sincerevote. your posting is weirding me out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

EccoRaven posted:

eh that last post was unnecessary and in bad taste. it was a dumb post and I shouldn't have made it. if this were a normal thread I'd have edited it out by now, just take this as my preemptive mea culpa.

In bad "taste". Wink wink nudge nudge.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

EccoRaven posted:

eh that last post was unnecessary and in bad taste. it was a dumb post and I shouldn't have made it. if this were a normal thread I'd have edited it out by now, just take this as my preemptive mea culpa.

I accept your apology on behalf of Tremendous Taste.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

yuming posted:

Murmur just did the same thing as scum in the last game we played and that makes me suspicious.

For what it's worth, I've either opened with an intentionally bad case or steadfastly agreed with someone else's clear joking case in my last few games as a way to segue out of jokephase.

WIFOA (I was scum)
Gnomefia (I was town)
League II (I was town)
Open Concept Mafia (I was town)

King Burgundy posted:

My reason for voting Keane was exactly the same as yours minus some words. You didn't think it was worth a vote initially. But now you do. To me that looks like you are trying anything to get out of the pressure you were under since I hadn't actually done anything new. Aka flailing.

My case was a joke, though (see also: where I intentionally changed the context of one of his quotes to fit my case). My read is that Keane's flavor is that of an apathetic adventurer, not that he's actually trying (and failing) to make us think he's emotionless. I thought your vote was a joke too, until you said you liked my case. Also, I wouldn't call PMom/CPigs votes on me without further explanation "pressure", at least not after the first case of the game.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Murmur Twin posted:

For what it's worth, I've either opened with an intentionally bad case or steadfastly agreed with someone else's clear joking case in my last few games as a way to segue out of jokephase.

WIFOA (I was scum)
Gnomefia (I was town)
League II (I was town)
Open Concept Mafia (I was town)

My case was a joke, though (see also: where I intentionally changed the context of one of his quotes to fit my case). My read is that Keane's flavor is that of an apathetic adventurer, not that he's actually trying (and failing) to make us think he's emotionless. I thought your vote was a joke too, until you said you liked my case. Also, I wouldn't call PMom/CPigs votes on me without further explanation "pressure", at least not after the first case of the game.

I can't say that I care that you are ignoring me, but it is curious that you're not giving opinions on Narco.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EccoRaven posted:

Yes, I never joke around. It's very unlike me. Good eye.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

CCKeane posted:

I can't say that I care that you are ignoring me, but it is curious that you're not giving opinions on Narco.

Sorry - missed your question before.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

I don't see what's wrong with MMTs casing of keane. It's not a rock solid case but we don't have much to go on day 1. I don't agree with it, but i also don't think she's scum at this point. She seems to be the only person actually scum hunting.

---

I didn't say it was a good case. I said I don't think she's scum for being the only one actually trying to scum hunt when we have literally nothing to go on.

Town reads in general make me lean scum (as they're easy to use as scum since they're not lies), but that's not enough to make me feel strong about it.

Tmm why aren't you hounding merk about his flavor?

However, this question feels out of nowhere. It was asked only ten minutes after Merk started Hulk-posting, which makes me feel like it was motivated by a need to post something (instead of genuinely wanting to know).

ANarc - what made you ask this? I don't see (m)any other instances of TMM hounding people for their flavor, why not just engage Merk directly?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

Also, I wouldn't call PMom/CPigs votes on me without further explanation "pressure", at least not after the first case of the game.

Really? Since when are votes not pressure? That seems like a dishonest interpretation to me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

Really? Since when are votes not pressure? That seems like a dishonest interpretation to me.

I see pressure as stress caused by the fear of a negative outcome. That isn't something I've felt at any point in this game so far, mostly because I feel like I can easily and truthfully explain the thought process behind any posts people might use to cast suspicion on me.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

ANarc - what made you ask this? I don't see (m)any other instances of TMM hounding people for their flavor, why not just engage Merk directly?

Normally I wouldn't answer for someone but I think ANarcs question to me can be safely considered as teasing/harmless. But just that particular question.

The story is in my first ever mafia game I went after EXAKT for a bit and some of it was based on the fact that he choose Hollywood Hulk Hogan as his self imposed flavor in a flavorless game. So I pointed out that that was Hogans heel character.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Mafia Edit - phone posting didn't mean to submit.

Anyway, after I pointed it out we all went round and round about it and then let it go. But I'm sure I'll get teased about it forever.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
##vote Roydrowsy Dude kept trying to steal my loving ladder, and is really rude and mean after the fact. We may be gladiators, but we can still be gentle gladiators.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Yeah that was a joke reference to Swolfia

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Trying to keep 16 different people's posts straight has been rather difficult.

Opop is seeming scummy to me for the same reason as in WIFOA... which means he could be town. I know for a fact my scumdar needs work, so as of right now that's a null-leaning-town there.

MMT is doing that thing that promotes discussion. Regardless of alignment, that's a pro-town thing. Null-leaning-town there.

I want my question to Roy answered. Nothing yet there.

KingB is town.

Considering my track record on betting, this might not be saying much, but I'll bet that one of Pmom or Keane is scum. Nothing solid there yet, so no vote from me yet.

TMM, aside from the glory, why did you want to win the challenge?

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

I see pressure as stress caused by the fear of a negative outcome. That isn't something I've felt at any point in this game so far, mostly because I feel like I can easily and truthfully explain the thought process behind any posts people might use to cast suspicion on me.

It is still pressure even if you aren't stressed about it. :). People talk about making cases or making a vote to apply pressure all the time. I know you know this and this conversation is really weird.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OmegaGoo posted:

The glory means nothing to me. I fight because the fight needs to be fought!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

TMMadman posted:

The glory means nothing to me. I fight because the fight needs to be fought!

:allears:

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Omega why are you so sure KB is town?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

King Burgundy posted:

It is still pressure even if you aren't stressed about it. :). People talk about making cases or making a vote to apply pressure all the time. I know you know this and this conversation is really weird.

Since I feel like we're getting hung up on word selection: the votes on me had nothing to do with my subsequent casing of you, and that my vote on you was based on my read that you were supporting my case without actually reading what I was saying.

Yeah that was a joke reference to Swolfia

Didn't know that at all, fair enough.

EccoRaven posted:

How so?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Omega why are you so sure KB is town?

Can anyone be 100% sure?

My reasons are that his case against MMT is pretty good and founded in sane logic. To be fair, a followup look will be required. The main point is that King makes no sense as a D1 lynch.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Is this sarcastic?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having a good case when we have zero information really falls flat for me. Building up early rhetoric just seems to be a town thing for some people. Most games I've played usually at least one scum is seen to be accepted as town for these kind of dumb reasons

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

TMMadman posted:

Is this sarcastic?

Wasn't intended to be. I really did like that answer.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

imgay posted:

##vote Roydrowsy Dude kept trying to steal my loving ladder, and is really rude and mean after the fact. We may be gladiators, but we can still be gentle gladiators.

This is bad I'd vote imgay.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Murmur Twin posted:

Since I feel like we're getting hung up on word selection: the votes on me had nothing to do with my subsequent casing of you, and that my vote on you was based on my read that you were supporting my case without actually reading what I was saying.

OK that is super interesting and not what you said before. I'm phone posting so I can't do the elaborate casework but I am voting you for the bolded. I'll revisit this later with details.

##vote mmt

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

OmegaGoo posted:

Can anyone be 100% sure?

My reasons are that his case against MMT is pretty good and founded in sane logic. To be fair, a followup look will be required. The main point is that King makes no sense as a D1 lynch.

Oh ok the way you said it sounded like maybe you had some *extra knowledge*. I really don't get what you see in him or anyone that excuses them from today's lynch. I don't know who is scum but I wouldn't discount anyone at this point. Too early.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

OmegaGoo posted:

Can anyone be 100% sure?

Not that I want to argue this because you are right about me but, did I even have a case on MMT before just now? I was questioning her but I didn't think I had made a case. May just be semantics though.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

What is with Goo thinking KB is town? I don't get it. I don't get a lot of things. Whatever.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OmegaGoo posted:

Wasn't intended to be. I really did like that answer.

It's hard to tell with the :allears: smilie

Segur is satisfied with your answer.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

King Burgundy posted:

OK that is super interesting and not what you said before. I'm phone posting so I can't do the elaborate casework but I am voting you for the bolded. I'll revisit this later with details.

##vote mmt

To quickly revisit my point of view:

King Burgundy posted:

Doesn't mean much given my current vote but I like this.

Murmur Twin posted:

While I appreciate that people thought my case on Keane was genuine, I'm curious how people took it seriously when I took the above quote and pasted it as

I'm sure people have figured this out at this point but the goal was just to put out something for people to react to and judge accordingly.

##vote KB

You said "I like this" to a case that was based on (a) Keane lying about being apathetic (how is that even scummy?) and (b) involved me changing one of Keane's quotes to reflect the non-serious point I was making. I voted because it didn't seem like a case that anyone who actually read it would genuinely like.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's a little unfair to say someone isn't reading the case based on the fact that you removed a word in a quote. When someone posts a quote, I generally expect it to be unaltered or trimmed to down the relative point. Removing one word and then saying people aren't reading because they aren't clicking through and looking at the original post feels very dishonest.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

TMMadman posted:

I think it's a little unfair to say someone isn't reading the case based on the fact that you removed a word in a quote. When someone posts a quote, I generally expect it to be unaltered or trimmed to down the relative point. Removing one word and then saying people aren't reading because they aren't clicking through and looking at the original post feels very dishonest.

I was just using that to illustrate the point that it was a less-than-serious case to begin with. Either way, it's not like I'm actively pushing to get KB lynched (I have him at null-lean-scum at the moment), it's more me explaining the thought process that led to my vote.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Roydrowsy posted:

Why would Goo want me to win? What are you talking about Goo?

Also, it was never my intention to win the game, it was my goal to finish with a key in hand and get an "item" as a result.

I did what I had intended to do. If you were invested in my victory, you might have wanted to say something.

Hey... Didn't goo become hated? Perhaps they have a way to wager on these contests. Could that be it?

Is Goo the Pete Rose of Mafia?

This Omega-Roy exchange stands out to me so far. Roy doesn't so much ask whether Omega being hated is the result of a bet as he seems to know in advance what Omega's flavour is.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

OmegaGoo posted:

So what was your reasoning here? I understand items are nice, and hell, they might help town in general, but why not try to actually win?

I had a few reasons.
First- getting the crown means you can't be executed today, or lynched. That is great and all but the odds of that happening are like 1 in 17.

So I can work really, really hard and fight to win something that I have a 1 in 17 chance of needing, that works for one day, or i can work a little less hard and win a mystery item. The big prize didn't seem worth it.

I think I made the right choice as my does not expire, and ultimately will have more use to the town than being unlynchable for day one.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

OmegaGoo posted:

Trying to keep 16 different people's posts straight has been rather difficult.

Opop is seeming scummy to me for the same reason as in WIFOA... which means he could be town. I know for a fact my scumdar needs work, so as of right now that's a null-leaning-town there.

MMT is doing that thing that promotes discussion. Regardless of alignment, that's a pro-town thing. Null-leaning-town there.

I want my question to Roy answered. Nothing yet there.

KingB is town.

Considering my track record on betting, this might not be saying much, but I'll bet that one of Pmom or Keane is scum. Nothing solid there yet, so no vote from me yet.

Took the children swimming today. Just skimming Thread now for major developments won't get to seriously post much till after they are in bed

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

This is bad I'd vote imgay.

I don't enjoy it much myself, but I also don't take it particularly serious.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Roydrowsy posted:

I had a few reasons.
First- getting the crown means you can't be executed today, or lynched. That is great and all but the odds of that happening are like 1 in 17.

So I can work really, really hard and fight to win something that I have a 1 in 17 chance of needing, that works for one day, or i can work a little less hard and win a mystery item. The big prize didn't seem worth it.

I think I made the right choice as my does not expire, and ultimately will have more use to the town than being unlynchable for day one.

Works for me. I still didn't want to end up hated, but that's a different problem entirely.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

OmegaGoo posted:

Works for me. I still didn't want to end up hated, but that's a different problem entirely.

Goo are you scum?

*long wistful sigh*

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roydrowsy posted:

I just took it as that I broke your spirit.

I bet your kids peed in the pool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

This Omega-Roy exchange stands out to me so far. Roy doesn't so much ask whether Omega being hated is the result of a bet as he seems to know in advance what Omega's flavour is.

One of the things I do, is I think things over while posting. After mulling over what had been said over night, I put the pieces together.

They turned up hated.
They were bummed I lost.
The only reason that me losing would be a bad thing, is it led to their hated status.

Thus, goo had an opportunity to basically bet on the game (ala Pete Rose who only gets talked about in Cincinnati)... As it happens, they essentially said this in a post that I missed in my morning review of events.

Then I made a gambler reference because it seemed obvious...

• Locked thread