Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Any opinions on IR cameras? My budget is less than $2500. I used a FLIR E5 at work today, and I am considering that or an E6. Any other brands worth looking at for that price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I had one of the HF four wheel stands for rebuilding a Jeep 4.0, and yes, it did seem just a bit sketchy. Also, don't try to turn one of those upside down once you've bolted the head on, almost tipped the entire stand over.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don't know about any of that math, but I have said HF beam trolley setup and it owns. Not having to store a freestanding hoist double-owns.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I put a 16' 6"x6" beam across my garage rafters and punched a hole in the ceiling drywall. Works pretty well with the chain hoist, although I have to roll the target car outside the garage to pull the engine and transmission together. The load leveler is invaluable.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

EightBit posted:

I had one of the HF four wheel stands for rebuilding a Jeep 4.0, and yes, it did seem just a bit sketchy. Also, don't try to turn one of those upside down once you've bolted the head on, almost tipped the entire stand over.

If you do it by holding the other end of the motor up so the swivel doesn't bind, and carefully rotate it using the valve cover as a handhold instead of letting it rip, it is possible. I learned this by drat near tipping mine over with a 4.0 on it.

Still pretty close to the limit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

rdb posted:

Any opinions on IR cameras? My budget is less than $2500. I used a FLIR E5 at work today, and I am considering that or an E6. Any other brands worth looking at for that price?

FLIR E4, hacked to an E8. I got mine from Zoro tools when they had a 25% off flash sale. $750, free shipping, and twenty minutes to push the modified files to the unit. Voila, same resolution as an E8. No SD card slot, but the internal memory is fine. There are additional hacks to add multiple measurement locations and all sorts of stuff. The thread is located on the eevblog forums, go check it out.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

sharkytm posted:

FLIR E4, hacked to an E8. I got mine from Zoro tools when they had a 25% off flash sale. $750, free shipping, and twenty minutes to push the modified files to the unit. Voila, same resolution as an E8. No SD card slot, but the internal memory is fine. There are additional hacks to add multiple measurement locations and all sorts of stuff. The thread is located on the eevblog forums, go check it out.

I wish there was some "prosumer" middle ground between the pro-seeming Flir stuff and the Lowes endcap "it clips onto your iphone!" junk. There's gotta be an audience in the $150-$250 range for something moderately better than that (as in, a usable real tool as opposed to a goofy novelty) but not as complex as the Flir stuff.

And while I'm wishing, please make it take Milwaukee batteries. :v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

This is why I love this subforum, no sarcasm

Haha, yeah, that was a fun reply I read.

All of the info is helpful, and I appreciate it. I don't have a steel beam in my garage, nor do I plan on putting one in. I have no problem buying nicer stuff that won't murder me as I use it, so if HF isn't the way to go for the stand (the hoist is probably gonna be fine), I guess I'll lookit like O'Reilly or something.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

sharkytm posted:

Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for. I wanted an E8 but not at that price. I wound up purchasing an E6 for my facility today, and I will grab an E4 for home when I can catch it on sale.

Thermal cameras kick rear end. It took about 30 seconds to identify issues with a process that have been bugging me for years. I can't wait to use it on my 100 year old non insulated farm house.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of cameras, does anyone have any recommendations for inspection cameras? There's some questionable clay tiles near my gutters that I think might be contributing to my basement flooding, not to mention it'd be great to have something to occasionally schlep into walls to help run or trace stuff.

I'm pretty tempted by the standalone pistol grip units for ~100$, but all the ones I've seen only come with cables that don't really look like they're long enough to do much with beyond poke around a corner.

Would something like this waterproof usb camera zip tied to a fish tape be any good?

e: nvm, just picked up a Ridgid ca-100 with 6' extension cable off craigslist. Still might wind up picking up the usb camera on Amazon since this one is slightly too rigid to get it where I want to go anyways..

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 23, 2015

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Splizwarf posted:

I wish there was some "prosumer" middle ground between the pro-seeming Flir stuff and the Lowes endcap "it clips onto your iphone!" junk. There's gotta be an audience in the $150-$250 range for something moderately better than that (as in, a usable real tool as opposed to a goofy novelty) but not as complex as the Flir stuff.

And while I'm wishing, please make it take Milwaukee batteries. :v:

I ordered one of these for android phones, but it wont be here for a few weeks, i'll make a post about it when it arrives
http://www.flir.eu/flirone/display/?id=69324

echomadman fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 22, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

scuz posted:

so if HF isn't the way to go for the stand (the hoist is probably gonna be fine), I guess I'll lookit like O'Reilly or something.

Ehhh, I would go with HF for the stand too, I bet most of the parts store stands/hoists are visually identical to the HF ones anyways. Just be careful spinning engines upside down on it and you will be fine.

To be clear, like I said I own 3-4 of the medium size HF 4 wheel stands and if I needed more I'd buy more, no real complaints, I'm happy with what I got for the money. Just need to take that into account when using it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Ehhh, I would go with HF for the stand too, I bet most of the parts store stands/hoists are visually identical to the HF ones anyways. Just be careful spinning engines upside down on it and you will be fine.
Or craigslist is always nice for this kinda thing!

It's not a hoist, it's a stand, so the pawn shop thinks it's missing parts :haw:

edit:...and i'm a dodo, it IS missing parts vvvvv

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 22, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think they mean the crank to spin the engine but that is usually a bolt and they assume you have a BFW. 65 bucks is way too much though I would expect a hoist and two stands for that price. No one want to store this crap between engine rebuilds.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah the HF one is like 50 bucks brand new and that one looks exactly like parts from two different color HF 3-leggers (can't see due to tiny preview thumbnails) put together with the handle missing.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

So I mixed up some 50/50 Acetone/ATF for use as a rust penatrent. :science:

This poo poo wicks so well, it crawled up out of the dispensing bottle I had it in, and is now dripping all over the shelf I stored it. :negative:

Psycho Donut Killer
Nov 29, 2000

It's All about the Poontang, Baby!
I saw a great deal on the Hitachi Lithium Ion 12v drill / impact driver set I got at Lowes.
I got it over a year ago and even though the 12v tools are not as strong as the 18v ones I love how light they are especially for overhead stuff. Lifetime warranty no receipt required. The detention ball popped out of the driver and I sent it in with no receipt and they fixed it. I have built a deck and done a kitchen remodel down the the subfloor and studs with this set. I bought a second impact driver that came with two batteries for $59 while the other was off being repaired. And I was happy with the $129 price over a year ago it was before the light was included. But for $31.20 this is the cheapest way to get two more batteries. Not that I need them they charge fast and I have 4 batteries and two chargers. gently caress it I am getting another set anyway.

Seems to be a close out. Prices vary and have to find a store that has them.

Phone posting from work. Go to Lowes.com and search for KC10DFL and enter your zip code to check stock.

I ordered one from one store at 75% off and one from another at 50% off. I already got a call saying they did not have in stock and were canceling my order from the 75% store. Keeping my fingers crossed for the other.

Psycho Donut Killer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 23, 2015

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Finally found an excuse to buy ratchet, any opinions on the Gearwrench 120xp?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Might look at the Kobalt gearless ratchet. It's cheap and works in something like 2 degree increments. The lack of clicking is slightly offputting put it performs very well.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not really but I love my HF extendable ratchets and I'm not sure why I waited so long to get on that bandwagon. gently caress ever buying another craftsman ratchet.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

revmoo posted:

Might look at the Kobalt gearless ratchet. It's cheap and works in something like 2 degree increments. The lack of clicking is slightly offputting put it performs very well.

seconding. When you can find them on sale, they're like $10.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thirding the Kobalt gearless, the only downsides I've found are that it seems a bit fickle on swapping directions and the head is pretty big.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
When ratchets are fickle on changing directions, that was usually a sign to me they're on their way out and it's also super annoying.
Crescent ratchets aren't bad, got 3 with a ~100 pce set (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2") and they've never failed.

The best ratchets I've ever had though are made in japan "minimax" brand, they're pretty heavy duty.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

kastein posted:

Not really but I love my HF extendable ratchets and I'm not sure why I waited so long to get on that bandwagon. gently caress ever buying another craftsman ratchet.

gently caress craftsman in general. My tool box is slowly becoming a mishmash of snap on, HF, and master force (menards house brand). I like my extending ratchet and composite ratchets from HF, they have easily stood up to more abuse and when I need a new one, my HF store just says go back and grab another one and they never ever hassle me even with the obvious abuse I put on them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Fo3 posted:

When ratchets are fickle on changing directions, that was usually a sign to me they're on their way out and it's also super annoying.
Crescent ratchets aren't bad, got 3 with a ~100 pce set (1/4", 3/8" and 1/2") and they've never failed.

The best ratchets I've ever had though are made in japan "minimax" brand, they're pretty heavy duty.

It's only fickle when you don't positively engage the direction

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I have to agree, the one fatal flaw of the Kobalt gearless ratchet is the direction switching mechanism, it IS janky. Works fine, but definitely not as good as it could be.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I like all the Kobalt stuff I've bought so far, it at least looks and feels a lot nicer than the HF equivalents (I have not tried their gearless ones).
My Kobalt tool chest is definitely better built (thicker steel) and has much smoother drawers than my big HF cart does.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I have one of the Kobalt gearless ratchets, and I don't use it unless I am in a tight space. About 5% of the time it doesn't release to go back the other way without having to wiggle it.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

kastein posted:

Seconding the HF extendable ratchets, especially for a mobile tool kit. It's like having a ratchet and a breaker bar in one. My 1/2" drive has stood up to some serious abuse in junkyards .

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
With two people recommending the HF extending ratchet I'll go ahead and put in my opposite opinion. I bought the 3/8" extending ratchet and the stud that the socket locks onto snapped clean off. This was on the oil drain plug on my motorcycle. I'm going to take it back for the free exchange but I won't count on it ever again after failing like that. I'll recommend it as a backup in case your good one breaks or you don't want to get it dirty.

It's really pretty petty of me to talk huge poo poo on a $15 ratchet, but I should not be able to break something like this with my pasty wimpy arms.

I have been scorned.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

StormDrain posted:

Finally found an excuse to buy ratchet, any opinions on the Gearwrench 120xp?

I have the 1/4" fixed head one and the 3/8" flex head and like them both.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Craftsman ratchet and socket sets that I inherited from my grandpa are bad rear end. You guys hating on the NEWER craftsman stuff? These things are probably 60 years old and very well-made.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

scuz posted:

The Craftsman ratchet and socket sets that I inherited from my grandpa are bad rear end. You guys hating on the NEWER craftsman stuff? These things are probably 60 years old and very well-made.

Craftsman's quality went into the shitter sometime in the 90s (80s?) I believe, maybe even earlier, I'm not sure. Their old stuff is pretty loving awesome, yeah.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

scuz posted:

You guys hating on the NEWER craftsman stuff?

Craftsman has more or less been riding on their name for the last two or so decades. All of their new stuff is essentially Chinese made poo poo that they don't cover with the lifetime warranty they used to be known for.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

oxbrain posted:

Seconding the HF extendable ratchets, especially for a mobile tool kit. It's like having a ratchet and a breaker bar in one. My 1/2" drive has stood up to some serious abuse in junkyards .

Same, though rather unexpectedly the last time I used mine I snapped the back half of plastic handle off, apparently there's no metal inside it. Whacked it with the palm of my hand trying to break a bolt loose and it just... broke. Was very surprised, however the rest of it keeps working fine so I haven't bothered returning it yet.

Astonishing Wang posted:

With two people recommending the HF extending ratchet I'll go ahead and put in my opposite opinion. I bought the 3/8" extending ratchet and the stud that the socket locks onto snapped clean off. This was on the oil drain plug on my motorcycle. I'm going to take it back for the free exchange but I won't count on it ever again after failing like that. I'll recommend it as a backup in case your good one breaks or you don't want to get it dirty.

It's really pretty petty of me to talk huge poo poo on a $15 ratchet, but I should not be able to break something like this with my pasty wimpy arms.

I have been scorned.

I'm shocked it snapped that easily. I found mine quite literally rusted solid in a muddy junkyard and had to soak it in wd40 for a while and bang on it a lot to get it to even free up. Got all the garbage out of it, gave it a shot, and I've been beating on it ever since. I can break most 1/2 breaker bars easily and this thing has stood up even with me hauling on it fully extended.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Terrible Robot posted:

Craftsman's quality went into the shitter sometime in the 90s (80s?) I believe, maybe even earlier, I'm not sure. Their old stuff is pretty loving awesome, yeah.

Yeah the old Craftsman stuff I got from my great-grandmother is still going, something like 50 years later. My primary 3/8" ratchet is an older Craftsman that I beat on all the time.

I still have my gramma's Montgomery Ward toolbox from when she worked at Lockheed too, though my tool collection long ago outgrew it and I just use it for storing misc nuts and bolts and other fasteners these days.

Speaking of organizing tools:

Went to Lowes and bought more shelving and racks for the garage and installed them today, so much better organized now. Before the back left corner was a huge stack/pile of boxes and parts, now it's all on shelves, nicely organized and easy to get to without having to unstack everything. Even found a spot for my welder on the bottom shelf so it's not just sitting on the floor anymore.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Newer Craftsman ratchets are garbage. The older ones are tougher, but they still suck functionally. Old Craftsman ratchets have sloppy action and huge swing arcs compared to good modern ratchets. Most good new ratchets have a handle design that doesn't hurt your hands so badly.

I personally hate all Craftsman ratchets because the switch is too easy to bump by accident, and there are no markings for the direction of rotation.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The dual-head 1/4" and 3/8" HF extendable may have a weak 1/4" head, I sheared off a couple of them when using 13mm or 14mm sockets. Since then I've just never used anything bigger than a 10mm on the 1/4" side, which is no problem since my 1/4" and 3/8" shallow sockets are the same height anyway. I think the problem is just that the handle is a pretty big lever for a 1/4" head, especially extended. The only other thing I have in 1/4" that's that long is an inch-lbs torque wrench.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Psycho Donut Killer posted:

I saw a great deal on the Hitachi Lithium Ion 12v drill / impact driver set I got at Lowes.
I got it over a year ago and even though the 12v tools are not as strong as the 18v ones I love how light they are especially for overhead stuff. Lifetime warranty no receipt required. The detention ball popped out of the driver and I sent it in with no receipt and they fixed it. I have built a deck and done a kitchen remodel down the the subfloor and studs with this set. I bought a second impact driver that came with two batteries for $59 while the other was off being repaired. And I was happy with the $129 price over a year ago it was before the light was included. But for $31.20 this is the cheapest way to get two more batteries. Not that I need them they charge fast and I have 4 batteries and two chargers. gently caress it I am getting another set anyway.

Seems to be a close out. Prices vary and have to find a store that has them.

Phone posting from work. Go to Lowes.com and search for KC10DFL and enter your zip code to check stock.

I ordered one from one store at 75% off and one from another at 50% off. I already got a call saying they did not have in stock and were canceling my order from the 75% store. Keeping my fingers crossed for the other.

I searched for KC10DFL... it returned a kit with 2 batteries, a drill, an impact driver, a flashlight, and a charger. A store in Lincoln (50 miles away) had 2 sets in stock for $55 each. I ordered both. My brother in law works in Lincoln and agreed to pick them up for me. Hopefully there are no problems with the transaction. I have received a confirmation email telling me both sets are ready for pickup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I'm mostly happy all my harbor freight stuff, especially the weird one-off tools, but I'd imagine that there's a lot of dubious quality that goes largely unseen. It all depends on the factory and time it was made, but I'd imagine that a lot of that stuff isn't actually tool steel, or is poorly tempered/a defective batch used anyways to save costs, etc, while other batches are perfectly fine.

There's a great book called "Poorly Made In China" that talks about the process of manufacturing slip, about how the prototype shown by the factory meets the client's specs, but then the factory starts shaving pennies wherever they can and before you know it you have a pile of crap. If the client complains, they'll just steal the tooling, dissolve the factory incorporation, then re-form it under a new name and offer to make the parts again.