Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Taffer posted:

So does a real job

he makes more for 10 hours of work a week than he otherwise would at a "real job", so more power to him. it also leaves him more time to look after the kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ah, terrafirmacraft autumn, time to collect the harvest

not a bad little haul considering how late I planted all this junk

let's take it downstairs to the larder and put it in the chest for food that needs to be brined and pickl--

gently caress

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

KingLemming posted:

Fair enough! I'll whip up some more. ;)

It wasn't meant as criticism for you (but if you add some excellent baubles I will be extremely happy (can we please have an RF-based movement improver please?)

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Enzer posted:

Like the idea has been kicked around in the past, but while I think that there are plenty of great modders in the community and some truly great mods, I don't think many of them, not even a collaboration, could make a full fledged game that would be able to stand against modded minecraft. Hell, nearly every company that has set out to make a better version of vanilla minecraft has failed.

/rant

Yes and no. I literally wrote a better world renderer over lunch one day. The real issue is just that MInecraft is a market share juggernaut, and while I think a bunch of us could get together and do it, it wouldn't have the support, even if it were technically superior in every conceivable way.

Serifina posted:

It wasn't meant as criticism for you (but if you add some excellent baubles I will be extremely happy (can we please have an RF-based movement improver please?)

I didn't take it that way. RF-powered trinkets have been on the TODO for way, way too long considering how easy they are. I'll look into it. :)

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

KingLemming posted:

Yes and no. I literally wrote a better world renderer over lunch one day. The real issue is just that MInecraft is a market share juggernaut, and while I think a bunch of us could get together and do it, it wouldn't have the support, even if it were technically superior in every conceivable way.

I dunno, I feel like if you made something that was a minecraft-alike but with, say, the technology and manufacturing focus of Factorio it'd probably do pretty well. Maybe not amazing but enough to fleece a bunch of money from nerds on early access/kickstarter pay for your bills for a while. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Glory of Arioch posted:

what's wrong with tinker's construct :confused:

For me, partly its tendency to overrun every other mod that provides tools and make them less interesting/pointful to pursue; mostly it's that I see it all the time and I am tired as hell of seeing it :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

most of the time there's no point in making equipment that's not from tinker's construct because the tinker's construct poo poo lets you do basically everything for relatively free

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While this article is directly about MP3 vs OGG, and segues into Steam vs Origin, I do think its lessons are applicable to Minecraft vs Minecraft With Not-poo poo Coding.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Ciaphas posted:

For me, partly its tendency to overrun every other mod that provides tools and make them less interesting/pointful to pursue; mostly it's that I see it all the time and I am tired as hell of seeing it :v:

That's pretty much my take on it, too. Aside from that, I already have super-powered tooling being provided by ProjectE.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

KingLemming posted:

There's a difference between success and being the next minecraft. You don't need to achieve the latter to make reasonable money on the former.

edit: I also think you're really underestimating just how much traction you can gain with dedicated players. Lots of twitch and youtube publicity for free if you pull it off, especially if you leverage your (collectively) position in the community. Minecraft isn't WoW, it's a $10-$30 one time fee and a game that came out ages ago. People buy all kinds of lovely minecraft clones just because they want more. If you make a quality game that you think is great you could very well be what Path of Exile is to the Diablo franchise.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jul 19, 2015

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
It turns out the nether portal in Clouds of Darkness is the glass behind it, and if you break one, the entire portal vanishes and portals are turned off, so you can't build one yourself or reignite that one.

Is there another way to get to the nether?

Edit: There is two portals nevermind.

Carados fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 19, 2015

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

MechaCrash posted:

While this article is directly about MP3 vs OGG, and segues into Steam vs Origin, I do think its lessons are applicable to Minecraft vs Minecraft With Not-poo poo Coding.

So the real question is... Is there already a minecraft clone that's way better that we should all be playing instead?

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

bigperm posted:

So the real question is... Is there already a minecraft clone that's way better that we should all be playing instead?

It's called Starbound...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

minecraft with beekeeping

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Carados posted:

It turns out the nether portal in Clouds of Darkness is the glass behind it, and if you break one, the entire portal vanishes and portals are turned off, so you can't build one yourself or reignite that one.

Is there another way to get to the nether?

Edit: There is two portals nevermind.

It's worse than that. In Clouds of Darkness, all nether portals break instantly with any tool. You probably broke the portal.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

THE PENETRATOR posted:

It's called Starbound...

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Much as I'm looking forward to the Modderation: FYAD server I'm wondering if there'll be any 'easy' regen sources for the early Blood Magic self-bleeding game. Fallen Kanades from Botania are so good for that task :v:

Happy Big Fun
Jul 23, 2004
Yay!
My buddy put together a modpack that includes botania. A few minutes after planting, my new dayblooms despawned. Figured it was just a hiccup, I made 4 hydroangeas. Those despawned, too. The last one despawned while I was staring at it in full daylight. We tried opping ourselves and planting them as well as changing the value of "Passive Wither Time" in the mod options and restarting the server. Still these hydros despawn after a few minutes.

Help :(

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

Much as I'm looking forward to the Modderation: FYAD server I'm wondering if there'll be any 'easy' regen sources for the early Blood Magic self-bleeding game. Fallen Kanades from Botania are so good for that task :v:

I can't think of any super-early-game. No Botania, due to the no overlap. No healing from Ars Magica either. You could possibly get a ProjectE healing gem and pedestal if you force energy collecting.

Edit: VVVV
I always forget about vanilla potions.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 19, 2015

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Vanilla instant health potions?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Black Pants posted:

I can't think of any super-early-game. No Botania, due to the no overlap. No healing from Ars Magica either. You could possibly get a ProjectE healing gem and pedestal if you force energy collecting.

Edit: VVVV
I always forget about vanilla potions.

There's also a reliquary item that trades hearts for hunger.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

KingLemming posted:

Oh yeah, no, I have no doubt in my mind that a better programed, even more modder friendly, Minecraft-like can be made, Minecraft's code is dog poo poo, I think everyone can agree on that. What I have yet to see though is someone create a Minecraft-like that is mechanically superior to Minecraft. To be fair, part of this is because Minecraft has such simple design philosophies in terms to how the game plays, but on the other hand, I think that a block game that is built around, for example, the RP2 mechanics at its core would be a lovely game to play because while the dev had good ideas for the RP2 mod, they had a lot of really questionable ones as well (really ugly forced world gen for example) that would only be amplified by making the mod a stand alone game. A lot of mods share this where people flaunt over aspects of the mods but will also scratch there head in confusion at some of the modders design choice (like I thought AE2 was neat, but the whole hunting meteors for something that wasn't even a raw material is a stupid design decision) and with some mods the bad game design is much worse. With Minecraft, the chief complaints I hear is usually the crap quailty of code and mobs and combat are really poorly done, the rest of the game mechanics are more or less come to the point as being the standard for this kind of game, but nobody can even get the basics right in their Minecraft-like and I've seen very few even try to address what Minecraft does wrong.

It is kind of like how Terraria and Starbound are, conceptually, more or less the same but Starbound is, in its current state, a much worse game mechanically and design wise.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Just popped my head into the OP since I'm starting up Minecraft again as a free time killer and I never payed much attention to them before an I have two questions: Who is this RichardG fellow and why is he such a class act and who is this CovertJaguar fellow? whats the stories on these, because looking at the screen caps I can get a basic idea but it feels like some stuff is lost "if you weren't there" or something like that

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

Just popped my head into the OP since I'm starting up Minecraft again as a free time killer and I never payed much attention to them before an I have two questions: Who is this RichardG fellow and why is he such a class act and who is this CovertJaguar fellow? whats the stories on these, because looking at the screen caps I can get a basic idea but it feels like some stuff is lost "if you weren't there" or something like that

Most of that is super old drama from yesteryear. RichardG made industrialcraft (the first big tech mod after buildcraft), CovertJaguar made Railcraft, which came not long after. RichardG hasn't been around forever, CJ is a huge sperg who likes to DMCA and whine. Most of the OP is only relevant as of like 2-3 years ago.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
KingLemming the sounds that the blitzes make is absolutely terrifying. Oh god it is so awesome.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
How does all this metal stuff really work with TFC? It looks like a minigame and the Wiki doesn't really explain it all. How should I generally approach it? My scheme right now is to make a copper anvil, and then proceed directly to a bronze anvil. Can I use just a stone hammer for that? Afterwards, what should I be doing? It looks like I need to make sheets for a bloomery, but I don't really know how that even works. Does it explain itself well once I get started?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How does all this metal stuff really work with TFC? It looks like a minigame and the Wiki doesn't really explain it all. How should I generally approach it? My scheme right now is to make a copper anvil, and then proceed directly to a bronze anvil. Can I use just a stone hammer for that? Afterwards, what should I be doing? It looks like I need to make sheets for a bloomery, but I don't really know how that even works. Does it explain itself well once I get started?

A stone hammer works fine, but they don't have much durability. Probably the worst thing is when you're working a piece of metal in the anvil and your hammer dies on you, and by the time you get another one made, the drat thing you're working has cooled past the point of being able to be worked. If you can spare some metal for the job, cast yourself a copper or bronze hammer to make your life easier.

The anvil interface is indeed a minigame. Your goal is to get the bottom green arrow to line up exactly with the top red arrow by using the red and green buttons to move the green arrow back and forth along the track. In addition to this, whatever you're making has rules for what the last couple of actions have to be. What complicates this is that the actions aren't "mirrors" of each other -- they adjust the progress of the bar in different values. Red buttons move the green arrow left in increments of 3, 6, 9, and 15, while the green buttons move the green arrow forward in increments of 2, 7, 13, and 16.

Check http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Anvil for some more info on how to do stuff.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles
What about a fully open source Minecraftlike with a GPL or something type license, designed to rein in modder ego drama bullshit from the very beginning?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It would need something else to set it apart, your average minecraft player (Even modded minecraft) gives not one poo poo about modder drama.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I dream of a game that's like minecraft with decent code, better combat, and most of the mod features everyone uses built in. So it already has something like RF, a few machines to use it, some kind of magic system, maybe something like TiC, and baked in modding capability. I will never see this, but I wish it existed.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
Goons. Is woodcraft good? My 9 year old son loves it and just this morning asked me if I would "buy" some sort of flame thing. I clicked and sent me to the woodycraft site where you can buy stuff. Is it legit?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Tony Homo posted:

Goons. Is woodcraft good? My 9 year old son loves it and just this morning asked me if I would "buy" some sort of flame thing. I clicked and sent me to the woodycraft site where you can buy stuff. Is it legit?

well they accept bitcoin so i would steer clear entirely

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Edminster posted:

well they accept bitcoin so i would steer clear entirely

Thank you! I will avoid!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tony Homo posted:

Is that a server? Never buy stuff from a server. If you're going to pay for a server at most just pay a subscription (But really you shouldn't do that either). Lots of servers have raised scamming people via their kids blocky desires to an art form.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's a whole series of servers of various game types. You have to be registered to actually see what they're selling but essentially they're a combination of freemium items you'd expect out of an MMO (that flame thing sounds like a cosmetic) plus certain things relevant to Minecraft (wooden chest that slowly replenishes itself with iron!).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I just entered the username of "Poop" and it let me see all the stuff to buy

looks like they do the tf2 thing where you can get item crates and then you have to pay the server for a key to unlock them

and hey 2 stacks of diamonds for 6 bux

what a scummy server, your poor kid probably loves it too

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
I love you, you beautiful goony goons. :-)

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Tell your kid he can only have the items if he can scam them off pubbies.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

I just entered the username of "Poop" and it let me see all the stuff to buy

looks like they do the tf2 thing where you can get item crates and then you have to pay the server for a key to unlock them

and hey 2 stacks of diamonds for 6 bux

what a scummy server, your poor kid probably loves it too

My cousin does. I've tried weaning him off it by introducing him to the wonderful world of the Technic launcher. So far it's working!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I thought mojang was trying to crack down on this kind of thing?