Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
adderall shouldnt be addictive. irl you can be on it for a year and then quit for a month without noticeable withdrawal effects. you can build a pretty decent tolerance though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ugh.

If I play with only mundane zombies it doesnt feel like much of a challenge.

If I play with all zombie types I get utterly stomped.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

SynthOrange posted:

Ugh.

If I play with only mundane zombies it doesnt feel like much of a challenge.

If I play with all zombie types I get utterly stomped.

play with slow zombies.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Play with default zombie settings, take your time crafting poo poo and improving your skills in the shelter before moving out, invest a char point into dodging, approach towns very carefully and only raid the outskirts, bolt at the first sign of trouble.

You can get food and water from the wilderness which should generally allow you to only visit cities and challenging areas when you're good and ready.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Try taking night vision and light step (one point traits) and raiding at night. You'll be able to just skirt most zombies without them even noticing, and it makes running away much easier. If you want ultimate cheese take Ninjitsu too, it makes your attacks silent and gives you insane criticals. It works even with weapons, although you still have to level unarmed to get the perks.

Once you get heavy survivor gear and a half decent weapon you can go toe to toe with even hulks no problem. And you'd be surprised what constitutes half decent.... A cudgel is pretty good as weapons go, you can make one of those with a pocket knife and a plank of wood.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

play with slow zombies.

This is my preferred way to play the game. Special zombies can still pose a threat but you can run by them a lot of the time and regular zombies are best avoided. This is generally doable on normal speed too, just more tedious.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Heavy survivor gear is too good. Pair it up with the electric thermal underwear and you're unstoppable no matter what season.

E: Also holy crap Woods soup is OP as hell. You can dehydrate meat and veggies for two of the ingredients, and make the 3rd ingredient out of pine boughs if you're running low on veggies. You can craft 20 batches at a time because it has a 10 day spoilage (20 batches is roughly 10 days worth of food) in just under 2 hours, and you can fit an entire day's worth of nutrition in a plastic bottle.

:ninja:

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jul 22, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Shhh, that's two terrible secrets you posted about now! What you trying to do, get the unfun brigade to nerf them?

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Slaapaav posted:

adderall shouldnt be addictive. irl you can be on it for a year and then quit for a month without noticeable withdrawal effects. you can build a pretty decent tolerance though

go tell your psychiatrist that you think adderall isn't addictive and there are no withdrawal effects.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

someone with platinum check to see if he posts in tcc

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i misread that as "alcohol" at first and was just totally confused

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

tooterfish posted:

Shhh, that's two terrible secrets you posted about now! What you trying to do, get the unfun brigade to nerf them?

there are way easier ways to stay full/slaked forever

way 1: go to any vending machine, buy all the clean water bottles and V8s/beef jerky/pork sticks. eat and drink freely for the next week.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Deluxe oatmeal is also fantastic if you grow some oats or find a bunch. Nutritious and thirst quenching!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm thankful pooping isnt in the game because of the amount of oats and beans I cook.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I for one would welcome the inclusion of biological warfare to DDA.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
There's no way ingame character diets are healthy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Artificer posted:

There's no way ingame character diets are healthy.

Dunno what you're talking about, chugging down a couple cans of sodium filled soup works wonders for keeping yourself hydrated!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh man, low on meat. Time to head back to the lab to stock up on mutated limbs.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Screw your soup, man. The ultimate diet is obviously 3 meals a day of dehydrated ant eggs.

I have like 100 pounds of eggs sitting in the trunk of my solar police car.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Spoken like a man that didn't find 100 pounds of powdered candy sticks in a broken vending machine.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Screw your soup, man. The ultimate diet is obviously 3 meals a day of dehydrated ant eggs.

I have like 100 pounds of eggs sitting in the trunk of my solar police car.

I hear escamole is really tasty, though.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I'm pretty sure I understand how this happened, but it's still hilarious. The manhack apocalypse.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've found manhacks easier to take out by throwing things at them than trying to melee. Just wait until they're a close, a couple of tiles away at most (although point blank works better), then chuck something into their smug little buzzsaw faces. Usually takes them out in a single shot.

If you're using the more survival tools mod, throwing sticks are good. Anything will do really though, you could even kick a desk in and start slinging two by fours at a pinch.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm pretty sure I understand how this happened, but it's still hilarious. The manhack apocalypse.

Apparently the zombie scientists can spawn them, I was down in a Vault and I got to a room with about 5-6 scientists and then suddenly BOOM 25 manhacks all over the place.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Kinda. Zombie scientists have a special ability and one of the possible effects is spawning a single manhack. The only way I can think of that spawns a giant mound of them is an alarm going off; I've managed something like 10 drop down on me in a Lab when I failed a hack.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Sage Grimm posted:

Kinda. Zombie scientists have a special ability and one of the possible effects is spawning a single manhack. The only way I can think of that spawns a giant mound of them is an alarm going off; I've managed something like 10 drop down on me in a Lab when I failed a hack.

looking at the log, I think there's a mi-go in the room off to the left, (or up above, where the hacks are congregating) that the zombies can see, but can't get to, and that's causing them to freak out. The whole time he's on that level they're just opening their coats and making manhacks appear.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Sage Grimm posted:

It's the monster infighting. If there's a lab room with a mi-go or something in containment then once they see each other the zombie scientist will spawn a manhack occasionally trying to fight it. They can't reach each other through the glass, so the scientist will keep on releasing manhacks until you kill it.

ro5s fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 23, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh yeah, that would do it. If it's the room I'm thinking of, the mi-go is in a room encased with reinforced glass making noises and drawing the attention of the scientists. Their special ability recharges in relatively short order (not enough to fire it off more than once in a fight where you're prioritizing their deaths) so with enough time in the reality bubble the 'hacks are going to stack higher and higher.

Clearly the thing to do here is liberally lace the floor with explosions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Manhacks are really easy to kill with patience + good torso/head armor, and they drop plutonium occasionally. Don't think of 50 manhacks as a threat, think of it as an opportunity!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
All of the above is true. The Mi-Go was triggering the zombie scientist specials, I am pretty sure (note how both have their big dumb faces pressed up against the glass and are surrounded by acid in that very shot), and the manhacks were trivial to deal with with this character.

Frustratingly, I later lost that character at a military outpost because the turrets stopped giving off light somehow. I cleared out the last of the turrets and searchlights without thinking about it, despite the fact I was having to wait for searchlights to reveal them in order for me to shoot them, I did a full sweep of the perimeter of the base from a map tile out thinking that 'oh, no more turrets, yay'...and then blundered straight into the sight radius of the last two and got shredded. It wasn't until I stopped to think about how much trouble I had seeing and killing the last turret (that I knew of) and all the spotlights that I realized what had gone wrong. That's my best working theory right now, anyways, because I somehow didn't see the last three turrets, any of the searchlight towers, or the lit-up tiles of the last two turrets until they were in MY sight radius and opened fire.

Do turrets secretly have a stealth mode they engage once in a blue moon, or did I just get hosed by the lighting going weird?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

All of the above is true. The Mi-Go was triggering the zombie scientist specials, I am pretty sure (note how both have their big dumb faces pressed up against the glass and are surrounded by acid in that very shot), and the manhacks were trivial to deal with with this character.

Frustratingly, I later lost that character at a military outpost because the turrets stopped giving off light somehow. I cleared out the last of the turrets and searchlights without thinking about it, despite the fact I was having to wait for searchlights to reveal them in order for me to shoot them, I did a full sweep of the perimeter of the base from a map tile out thinking that 'oh, no more turrets, yay'...and then blundered straight into the sight radius of the last two and got shredded. It wasn't until I stopped to think about how much trouble I had seeing and killing the last turret (that I knew of) and all the spotlights that I realized what had gone wrong. That's my best working theory right now, anyways, because I somehow didn't see the last three turrets, any of the searchlight towers, or the lit-up tiles of the last two turrets until they were in MY sight radius and opened fire.

Do turrets secretly have a stealth mode they engage once in a blue moon, or did I just get hosed by the lighting going weird?

If you're on the recent experimentals, probably just yet another lighting bug. :shepface: I had a weird case where turrets ~15 tiles away could still see/shoot me in total darkness, whenever I had a nightvision mutation active.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Manhacks are really easy to kill with patience + good torso/head armor, and they drop plutonium occasionally. Don't think of 50 manhacks as a threat, think of it as an opportunity!

They're one punch chumps to kung-fu masters :smug:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Turned off mundane zombies. Died due to smoke inhalation. Got shocked multiple times. Got punched across the street by brutes. Still having trouble hitting zombie children. Zombie scientists now shoot lasers from their mouths.

Then a zombie hulk punched me across the street, through a window causing all my limbs to break and then pounded me into a fine paste.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The first time I went into a lab I had heavy survivor gear and a flaming Zweihander. Manhacks were completely incapable of hurting me, but I had to spend 10-20 turns chasing each one around and missing clumsily before I eventually one-shot it. I think I eventually switched to throwing random crap out of my inventory, because the 1 damage can-of-beans hits were killing them faster than my sword.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh god.

Why did I kill The Thriller.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Oh god.

Why did I kill The Thriller.
Cataclysm PSA: turn off the drat joke monsters.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

AceRimmer posted:

Cataclysm PSA: turn off the drat joke monsters.

Shia LaBeouf is no joke son.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I completed my first lab yesterday with only light survivor gear and I was basically invulnerable. 9mm simply isn't enough to seriously threaten you. Pain accumulation was a bigger threat than the damage itself. I really wish I could find an emp blast cbm though, punching turrets to death is kind of the pits.

Also I started building my own vehicle yesterday with the help of my integrated toolset. Completely dismantled a wreckage to go from 4 mechanics to 10. Found out that solar cell infrastructure all counts as being on the 'roof' so there is no reason whatsoever to not fill your entire interior roof with tons of solar cells and batteries. Found a kitchen RV unit in a garage. Built my wartrukk backward and had to spend an entire day flipping the seat around.

Good times all around. I had a lot of fun figuring out how the vehicle system works. Hoping the wartrukk will work well, but I went for length over width since I'm used to 4-wide vehichles from driving cars around, which may yet turn out to be a mistake. Still, if I can get that emp blast it could yet be useful for mounting a bunch of turrets along the side.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Coolguye posted:

I completed my first lab yesterday with only light survivor gear and I was basically invulnerable. 9mm simply isn't enough to seriously threaten you. Pain accumulation was a bigger threat than the damage itself. I really wish I could find an emp blast cbm though, punching turrets to death is kind of the pits.

Also I started building my own vehicle yesterday with the help of my integrated toolset. Completely dismantled a wreckage to go from 4 mechanics to 10. Found out that solar cell infrastructure all counts as being on the 'roof' so there is no reason whatsoever to not fill your entire interior roof with tons of solar cells and batteries. Found a kitchen RV unit in a garage. Built my wartrukk backward and had to spend an entire day flipping the seat around.

Good times all around. I had a lot of fun figuring out how the vehicle system works. Hoping the wartrukk will work well, but I went for length over width since I'm used to 4-wide vehichles from driving cars around, which may yet turn out to be a mistake. Still, if I can get that emp blast it could yet be useful for mounting a bunch of turrets along the side.

If you build a Control Laptop you can hack the turret's IFF (to become friendly) then deactivate/pickup the gizmo to set up your own turret anywhere.

Aside: Kitchen Unit is cool but kinda redundant if you have a chemlab or integrated toolset since the kitchen functions as a pot+hotplate+faucet and if you disassemble it you can just drop the pot in a trunk/etc and reinstall the Water Faucet anywhere. Driver's seat is a convenient location for insta-beverage. Not particularly important but it helps if you're trying to optimize your vehicle's layout/storage/utility parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

I like how my character can't hit a zombie with a machete to save their life, but they can bean a (presumably running) zombie dog in the face with a rock and crush its skull.

Its annoying how much carrying even a slight amount of encumbrance on your torso basically makes you incapable of hitting anything in melee.

However, I found a luxury RV. Great, I thought, mark it on my map and take it to pieces later.

Wait, it looks in good nick - its got fuel and battery charge. It has all of its wheels?!

looks like I've found my mobile base :black101: