Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CCKeane posted:

Goo are you scum?

*long wistful sigh*

I thought you didn't care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

This Omega-Roy exchange stands out to me so far. Roy doesn't so much ask whether Omega being hated is the result of a bet as he seems to know in advance what Omega's flavour is.

Maybe I am just really smart?

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

imgay posted:

I bet your kids peed in the pool

I'd have been disappointed if they hadn't. What is more American than that?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Roydrowsy posted:

Maybe I am just really smart?

Yeah maybe.
I was thinking in the circumstances I would have asked OmegaGoo before reaching that conclusion, but as I said in the challenge doc I am a stupido.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

Yeah maybe.
I was thinking in the circumstances I would have asked OmegaGoo before reaching that conclusion, but as I said in the challenge doc I am a stupido.

My position is that if a thought comes to me, I am just going to throw it out there. If I throw questions out like that, it is usually a conclusion I have drawn that I am throwing out there to see what people think.

I try not to be too picky and edit myself because you never know when an idea might make for a useful clue or conclusion... And should I ever turn up dead I never feel bad about not having said something.

But time to do some things, back In a few hours

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Birdstrike posted:

This Omega-Roy exchange stands out to me so far. Roy doesn't so much ask whether Omega being hated is the result of a bet as he seems to know in advance what Omega's flavour is.

It's not exactly a deep mystery

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

OmegaGoo posted:

Works for me. I still didn't want to end up hated, but that's a different problem entirely.

Next time bet on the right person.

As the champion, I take exception to Roys attitude towards the challenge. You shouldnt enter a challenge for items or glory. You enter because the challenge is there and the challenge needs to be won!

Playing for a consolation prize does not please Segur!

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope the next challenge isn't 4 hours long

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

imgay posted:

I hope the next challenge isn't 4 hours long

Segur does not not think you're a baby for quitting. He was not happy about it, but he understands it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Plus Segur knows you were playing to win.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

##vote: Goo

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TMMadman posted:

. You shouldnt enter a challenge for items or glory. You enter because the challenge is there and the challenge needs to be won!

This seems like something scum would say

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Opopanax posted:

lol whats the point of scum hunting the dude that isnt huntable today?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Opopanax posted:

What? I do not understand. Why else should a person enter a challenge?

Segur is now eyeing you lazily.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I don't really like all the flavor posts going on. Seems like an easy way for scum to hide in plain sight by posting but not saying anything.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Murmur Twin posted:

On the surface, Keane would have us think that he isn't invested in the outcome. That, of course, begs the question: why enter a tournament that he doesn't care about?

Looking carefully at his posts, I feel like he is making this up to cover up something deeper:

I think these quotes prove that Keane is emotionally invested, and suspect that he is trying to go unnoticed so that he can sneak his way towards the finish.

I call. ##vote CCKeane

Murmur, can you clarify if this is a real case or not? I got the sense you were joking about Keane's laissez-faire attitude in the same way I did earlier (1), but PMom and CPig's reactions (2) (3) are throwing me off.

The initial votes strike me as overeager.

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
She did clarify~

Does anyone else think Ecco is scummy? Take a look please.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

King Burgundy posted:

OK that is super interesting and not what you said before. I'm phone posting so I can't do the elaborate casework but I am voting you for the bolded. I'll revisit this later with details.

##vote mmt

Ok, I have a chance to flesh this out now.

This is what MMT says first about her vote for me:

Murmur Twin posted:

My vote wasn't based on your changing your opinion of Keane, it was based on your liking a bad case that supported your opinion (which made me think it may be fabricated). While I'm not sure what you mean by "flailing", I admit the vote is as flimsy as D1 cases usually are.

So she is saying she voted me because I liked a bad case that supported my opinion.

And then:

Murmur Twin posted:

Since I feel like we're getting hung up on word selection: the votes on me had nothing to do with my subsequent casing of you, and that my vote on you was based on my read that you were supporting my case without actually reading what I was saying.

She is saying she voted me because she doesn't think I read her case and I just agreed despite that since it suited my goals.

It would take an extremely charitable view of what she is saying for these views to be consistent. I think this inconsistency came about because the whole kit and kaboodle is nonsense and she wasn't able to keep her stories consistent.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Opopanax posted:

But what makes it scummy?

Opop is a good guy asking good questions. Like his engagement with P_Mom. Don't agree with his vote on P_Mom. After reading a little further along, her exasperation ~~feels~~~ genuine (1) (2) [urhttp://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731165&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=9#post448041667](3)[/url]. I get the sense of a townie that got a strong gut read and has zeroed in.

Murmur Twin posted:

"Horrible no-good" or scummy? Or do you consider them synonymous?

Murmur Twin posted:

I would argue that making a case at this point in the game, no matter how paper-thin, is pro-town.

I think sitting back silently and waiting for other people to make cases is something scum would do, and is likely doing right now as we speak.

u r dumb.

Roydrowsy posted:

Why would Goo want me to win? What are you talking about Goo?

Also, it was never my intention to win the game, it was my goal to finish with a key in hand and get an "item" as a result.

I did what I had intended to do. If you were invested in my victory, you might have wanted to say something.

Hey... Didn't goo become hated? Perhaps they have a way to wager on these contests. Could that be it?

Is Goo the Pete Rose of Mafia?

I have a massive headache right now, but there's something that reads as tonally off about Roy's post here. I'm not entirely sure how to articulate it, but I get the ~~~vibe~~~ of someone that wants to post, but really has nothing to say. I find it odd that Roy doesn't provide any substantive content until Murmur provides him with an easy target (1).

Does anyone else get this vibe?

Murmur Twin posted:

While I appreciate that people thought my case on Keane was genuine, I'm curious how people took it seriously when I took the above quote and pasted it as

I'm sure people have figured this out at this point but the goal was just to put out something for people to react to and judge accordingly.

##vote KB
Oh, hey, thank you for clarifying and confirming my initial read! <3

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Also on this:

Murmur Twin posted:

You said "I like this" to a case that was based on (a) Keane lying about being apathetic (how is that even scummy?) and (b) involved me changing one of Keane's quotes to reflect the non-serious point I was making. I voted because it didn't seem like a case that anyone who actually read it would genuinely like.

(a) Keane lying about being apathetic is scummy because it allows him to float through the thread without putting forth any opinions on scum, making cases, etc. It was not a joke vote, but I can see why someone would think it was. Your case was a wordier version of this, thus I agreed with it. --- I should point out here that Keane has started engaging with the thread and putting forth opinions, so this is now moot.

(b) This doesn't factor into anything I do. Unless it is an obvious quote fabrication like:

Murmur Twin posted:

I am Scum

I don't go back to every source post to make sure that you aren't loving with us. Why would I? This is such an extremely weird thing to expect from people.

I'm sorry you rolled scum this game.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

yuming posted:

She did clarify~

I am trying to read as I go, so I missed the explanation until I went to the next page.

As an aside, I'm having real dfficulty reading and writing right now and I apologize if any of the above is poorly phrased. Let me know if there is confusion so htat I can clarify later. Going to go sit down for a little bit before trying to continue.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

yuming posted:

She did clarify~

Hi Yuming. You mentioned having nothing to talk about, but this is something you could totally talk about. Tell us the story of Ecco as scum. What are the things that make you think she is scum? Can you point out specific posts?

Also, there is a fair amount of other stuff floating around right now that could be commented on. Any opinions on any of that?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
The other thing I'd like to clarify is that lynching people who are talking a lot on D1 doesn't sit well with me. Once again, regardless of alignment, a person who talks more is a hell of a lot more useful in long run than someone who doesn't talk at all. That is the main reason King should not be lynched (I also think he's town, but that's a different point).

And for the love of all that is good and moneymaking, Keane, explain that vote!

Also, my bet on Roy is the main bit in our interaction here, I could ask the same questions of Narc and QPQ. Did it look like they were actively trying to win?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I admit I'm new and haven't read a lot of games, it probably isn't a good idea to vote for King Burgundy because he'll probably just get night killed D1 anyway if he's town. :v:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

I admit I'm new and haven't read a lot of games, it probably isn't a good idea to vote for King Burgundy because he'll probably just get night killed D1 anyway if he's town. :v:

Mafia edit because :420: made me write a terrible sentence.

I admit I'm new and haven't read a lot of games, but it probably isn't a good idea to vote for King Burgundy because he'll just get night killed N1 anyway if he's town :v:

Not that it's much better now.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TMMadman posted:

Mafia edit because :420: made me write a terrible sentence.

I admit I'm new and haven't read a lot of games, but it probably isn't a good idea to vote for King Burgundy because he'll just get night killed N1 anyway if he's town :v:

Not that it's much better now.

Woah, reported your IP to the police for use of illegal narcotics.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

imgay posted:

Woah, reported your IP to the police for use of illegal narcotics.

##vote imgay see what happens to snitches round here

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess drugs are legal for you ex-prison state Australians. Too bad you'll never be able to play Mortal Kombat uncensored though.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

imgay posted:

I guess drugs are legal for you ex-prison state Australians. Too bad you'll never be able to play Mortal Kombat uncensored though.

We're still a prison state tbh

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
nah I'm not scum, sorry yuming. you should vote for opop instead since he is actually scum for the following reasons:

- pinging my gut
- jokes around rather than takes the game seriously
- this post is pretty bad just read it in context.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

imgay posted:

lol whats the point of scum hunting the dude that isnt huntable today?

Well hey, just imagine if he's huntable tomorrow! Wouldn't that be crazy!

3 more posts and I live :toot:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

EccoRaven posted:

nah I'm not scum, sorry yuming. you should vote for opop instead since he is actually scum for the following reasons:

- pinging my gut
- jokes around rather than takes the game seriously
- this post is pretty bad just read it in context.

Saying I'm scum for joking around is like saying I'm scum for using the letter E

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Feeling much better! Let's begin again.

Roydrowsy posted:

Why would Goo want me to win? What are you talking about Goo?

Also, it was never my intention to win the game, it was my goal to finish with a key in hand and get an "item" as a result.

I did what I had intended to do. If you were invested in my victory, you might have wanted to say something.

Hey... Didn't goo become hated? Perhaps they have a way to wager on these contests. Could that be it?

Is Goo the Pete Rose of Mafia?

Upon revisiting this post, I think I can better explain why it set me off. The first three lines strike me as defensive. There's no reason for Roy to distance himself from Goo, nor any reason to explain his motives in last night's challenge. While claiming "it was never my intention to win the game" appears to be pro-town, it doesn't make sense on second thought. What sort of player would not play to win? Protection from the lynch is protection from the lynch. Saying that you had no intent to win is defending behavior that needs no defending.

Roydrowsy posted:

This stuff you pointed out, it seems more like dramatic flavor play than anything. Perhaps they are playing Nicholas Cage from Leaving Los Vegas, or an emo kid.

So in that regard I think your argument is off at this point. (Unless it's a ploy to use nihilism as a way to hide lovely actions) which will take some time to show.

But I don't think looking at this as a case is bad. I think initiating the serious scum hunt is good for business.

And then there's this post, which is just repeating objections that were previously raised in a slightly different packaging before doubling back. It's meaningless and meandering. I don't know what Roy's position actually is, and her following posts leave me even further confused as to what her position actually is.

Roydrowsy posted:

I like this less.

Roydrowsy posted:

I am not above posting things to seek out reactions fro. Which to make judgement, but typically I ask for people to try and clarify and summarize information.

This feels more like a "trick" which puts you in a position to label people scummy for not having seen through your trick, it leaves things too open to your interpretation.

I don't know if I find it scummy, but i don't like it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

QuoProQuid posted:

Upon revisiting this post, I think I can better explain why it set me off. The first three lines strike me as defensive. There's no reason for Roy to distance himself from Goo, nor any reason to explain his motives in last night's challenge. While claiming "it was never my intention to win the game" appears to be pro-town, it doesn't make sense on second thought. What sort of player would not play to win? Protection from the lynch is protection from the lynch. Saying that you had no intent to win is defending behavior that needs no defending.

I don't think you get to question anyone's intent to win after you sat in the corner after picking up an item key.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Pinterest Mom posted:

Look at her case. Look at how patently unreasonable it was. Look at people saying they like it, and how artificial that opinion has to be.

Why do you think Murmur's case was serious, given its content, her voting on KB for supporting it, and her subsequent clarification?

OmegaGoo posted:

So what was your reasoning here? I understand items are nice, and hell, they might help town in general, but why not try to actually win?

Omega brings up the exact same issue that I referred to (1). Liking that I'm not the only person to notice the weirdness of such a confession.

Murmur Twin posted:

My vote wasn't based on your changing your opinion of Keane, it was based on your liking a bad case that supported your opinion (which made me think it may be fabricated). While I'm not sure what you mean by "flailing", I admit the vote is as flimsy as D1 cases usually are.

King Burgundy posted:

My reason for voting Keane was exactly the same as yours minus some words. You didn't think it was worth a vote initially. But now you do. To me that looks like you are trying anything to get out of the pressure you were under since I hadn't actually done anything new. Aka flailing.

Getting a greater sense of "flailing" from KB than Murmur because KB is doubling down on a lovely joke case that literally no one likes. Get the sense of trapped scum trying to divert attention to another member of their bandwagon after the experiment goes sour.

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's Anarc, Opop, and KB. Thank me after the game.

Cool. Please elaborate.

King Burgundy posted:

I also agree with Opop on this. Pmom is prolly scum.

Cool. Please elaborate.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Birdstrike posted:

I don't think you get to question anyone's intent to win after you sat in the corner after picking up an item key.

you are just mad because i ate you

and my point is, "why defend yourself for something that doesn't need to be defended?" Saying "oh noooooo, i didn't really want to win" just comes off as superficially townie to me imho.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Opopanax posted:

Well hey, just imagine if he's huntable tomorrow! Wouldn't that be crazy!

3 more posts and I live :toot:

So really all you're doing is casting shade for the future? Isn't that also kind of scummy?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Okay, I'm caught up. There's not much on the previous page that really catches my attention/necessitates a direct reply except:

EccoRaven posted:

##vote opop sincerevote. your posting is weirding me out.

Cool. Please elaborate.

Thus, I am happy to ##vote: Roy right now.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Opopanax posted:

Saying I'm scum for joking around is like saying I'm scum for using the letter E

Nly scm s vwls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TMMadman posted:

So really all you're doing is casting shade for the future? Isn't that also kind of scummy?

Nope, I'm pointing out my thoughts as I have them so I don't forget

• Locked thread