Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Compendium posted:

I'm so jealous you don't know what went down during the past season on the ANN forums concerning UBW.
gently caress that, I'm always up for a good internet trainwreck. You can just summarize what happened if you're that keen to avoid linking ANN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

RatHat posted:

So how was Rin planning to summon any servant, let alone a Saber, with no catalyst? Also how do catalysts for purely mythological heroes even work?
Also important to note, the information surrounding the Holy Grail War is very poor and almost specifically kept vague, so it's even possible she had no idea she would need a catalyst.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Rangpur posted:

gently caress that, I'm always up for a good internet trainwreck. You can just summarize what happened if you're that keen to avoid linking ANN.

My guess is it's the same as what happened here, but with worse moderation.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Namtab posted:

My guess is it's the same as what happened here, but with worse moderation.
Also having dumb opinions coming from front page articles, but pretty much.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

If you summon with no catalyst at all, you get the Servant with the personality most similar to your own. Even if you do use one, you get the most personality-appropriate of all possible Servants associated with the catalyst.

Remember that it was the Ryuunosuke method and how it summoned the only guy crazy enough to become his aniki.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If I summon with no catalyst, my servant is yui

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/629726138975068654/71104FD97D3784680279208A9962448F3C41C4AE/

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Rangpur posted:

If it's particularly :stare: I'm game to know as well.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Remember that it was the Ryuunosuke method and how it summoned the only guy crazy enough to become his aniki.

Depends. I think what counts as a catalyst can be very vague, for example he had just murdered some innocent people and used their blood to sketch the summoning circle; this could itself be the catalyst to summon Caster who did some similar evilness.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If I still wanted to read mock threads I'd look in GBS or PYF, but I don't hate myself that much.

Who gives a gently caress about ANN?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Depends. I think what counts as a catalyst can be very vague, for example he had just murdered some innocent people and used their blood to sketch the summoning circle; this could itself be the catalyst to summon Caster who did some similar evilness.

I always thought the book Ryuunosuke was reading from while casting the spell had something to do with it. He said that his family apparently used to be into Demonology, and it wouldn't surprise me if Gilles d'Rais had some connection with his ancestors.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Of course every single Servant/Master combo is meant to be comprised of dramatic foils to each other.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Rangpur posted:

Well, one of the ANN people (Jay O, she was quoted a few pages ago) did compare the TM fandom to bronies. I mean, I'm sure that says something. I think.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Twiddy posted:

I'm gonna guess where they're coming from. Unlimited Blade Works creates objects from nothing, so it could be said that he uses the first Magic "denial of nothingness." The problem with equating that to Shirou knowing True Magic is that you could then say that Fake Assassin knows the Second Magic because he can use Tsubame Gaeshi, which makes equally as little sense.

Pretty much the only reason a connection between Shirou's reality marble and the 1st Magic comes up is because that would be one of the reasons Clocktower would want to seal him, hoping to learn more about True Magic through a study of his reality marble.

Nope. Both Shirou's Tracing and UBW create the swords out of his magical energy, it's just that inside UBW, the cost to do so is greatly reduced since the world isn't trying to corrode everything he makes, since the space inside is literally another world with it's own rules.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

If I were a master I would purposely not use a catalyst just to find out what mythical figure was the most similar to me. It would be sort of like one of those "what character are you from _______" online quizzes, but better.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Compendium posted:

Well, one of the ANN people (Jay O, she was quoted a few pages ago) did compare the TM fandom to bronies. I mean, I'm sure that says something. I think.

That would apply to Prisma/Ilya fans.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The filthiest of secondaries

edit; i will have to stop using that joke probably right about now.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jul 23, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Compendium posted:

Well, if there's anything we do know, it's that ANN editors are the height of knowledge and wit on any subject under the sun.

Jay O posted:

Hbomberguy posted:

WHO WROTE THIS PUN

PROMOTE THEM

Ha ha ha, that was courtesy of my fiancee, Zac, who likes making nonsensical pun pull-quotes. Our friends at Discotek enjoy them too much. (Also he can't be promoted any more because he's already head of editorial as it is.)

You delivered the punchline before the set-up though!

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Oh.

In other TM related news, the insert song from episode 20 of UBW, Last Stardust by Aimer was released yesterday! It's really nice, but I like Aimer's songs in general so I guess I'm just a chode.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...well THAT's how she ended up at ANN. Always thought it was a little weird how she suddenly vanished from the Nostalgia Critic crew and went there, but if she's marrying the head of editorial, he probably hooked her up with a job and she reasonably went "gently caress these crazy people."

(Also Jesus gently caress the head of editorial does ad copy for discotek)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...well THAT's how she ended up at ANN. Always thought it was a little weird how she suddenly vanished from the Nostalgia Critic crew and went there, but if she's marrying the head of editorial, he probably hooked her up with a job and she reasonably went "gently caress these crazy people."

if she is dating the head of editorial at ANN, gently caress these crazy people must be what she's thinking

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

She seems like a bad anime reviewer

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Compendium posted:

Oh.

In other TM related news, the insert song from episode 20 of UBW, Last Stardust by Aimer was released yesterday! It's really nice, but I like Aimer's songs in general so I guess I'm just a chode.

Her voice sounded kind of throaty and weird to me at first, but Brave Shine grew on me really fast. Of ufotable's four OPs they've used between zero and UBW, Brave Shine is very close to To the Beginning for me.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Sylphid posted:

Her voice sounded kind of throaty and weird to me at first, but Brave Shine grew on me really fast. Of ufotable's four OPs they've used between zero and UBW, Brave Shine is very close to To the Beginning for me.

I've been listening to the other track that was released with Brave Shine (Ophelia) and I think I realized the reason I like her voice; it's very reminiscent of late 90s early 2000s anime OPs/EDs along the lines of the early Naruto music and FMA. Just the mood thing I suppose.

But yeah, Brave Shine rocks.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Someone mentioned there's a spin-off series featuring Illyasviel, is it worth watching?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
No.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

As proof, have this clip my friend sent me.

:nws: http://webmup.com/78780/vid.webm :nws:

:yikes:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I told myself to take the tags at their word and avoid the clip.

Then I looked at it anyway, and three seconds later I wanted to douse my eyes in napalm. Jesus christ destroy that link.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

No.

I mean, yes.

Tarezax posted:

I mean, no...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

please do not post links to the trash anime for pedophiles

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Tarezax posted:

So, it's worth watching.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

People always say this is a good scene, and it does look cool, but it doesn't really make sense. Excalibur Image can only be created within Moon Cell, and shouldn't be able to overwhelm the real deal like that in any case.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Silver2195 posted:

People always say this is a good scene, and it does look cool, but it doesn't really make sense. Excalibur Image can only be created within Moon Cell, and shouldn't be able to overwhelm the real deal like that in any case.

Heaven's Feel: Shirou can trace Excalibur just fine. and in UBW Archer claims he could trace Excalibur, albeit incomplete and using it would make him disappear.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Heaven's Feel: Shirou can trace Excalibur just fine. and in UBW Archer claims he could trace Excalibur, albeit incomplete and using it would make him disappear.
Yeah the actual problem is that she shouldn't be able to make an Excalibur copy as strong as the original, let alone stronger, let alone stronger than one with Saber Alter mana behind it (if that's supposed to be similar to the real Saber Alter). Then again, wonky doujin mechanics I guess Ilya is just better than all the servants.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It is a magical girl show, so the protagonist is the strongest when she is trying to Protect Her Friends.

Thinking about it more than that is just :spergin:.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

It is a magical girl show, so the protagonist is the strongest when she is trying to Protect Her Friends.

I can't deny any of that. Still bugged me when I saw it, spergy as it is.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Cake Attack posted:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Where do the sloppy makeouts fit in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If your biggest problem with prism illya is how well it fits the established type moon lore, you have brain problems