Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I meant "what does holding it down, after hitting it to counter, do?" and the answer is "nothing, unless you missed the counter".

If Yennifer is at Kaer Morhen helping me with Uma, does that mean I hosed up my Triss romance path somehow? or is it just scripted to be this way. I thought it was scripted, but the guy on the "to bait a forktail" quest said something that made me wonder if I could have had Triss here instead.

edit: Also, concerning the "The Last Wish" quest... I didn't do it, but am I supposed to understand that The Last Wish hasn't happened yet? That Yen and Geralt aren't bound together by fate? I assumed this was something that happened in the first game, since it's in a book in this game.

Yennefer is always at Kaer Morhen for this part.

pik_d posted:

Who the hell says "nah I don't wanna do this quest involving a main character" in an Action-RPG? What is this. You do all the quests!!! That's what they're for!!
People that strongly dislike said main character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So apparently, while I'm at work, my girlfriend has been loading my saves and setting it too hard.

Sorry for bitching in this thread.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Your girlfriend sounds really cool and just wants you to man up I think.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

Who the hell says "nah I don't wanna do this quest involving a main character" in an Action-RPG? What is this. You do all the quests!!! That's what they're for!!

Basically if I never saw Yennifer again it would be too soon. This game is my first exposure to the character, and here I had the impression that Triss was the hotheaded crazy one. Holy poo poo Yen is like 10 times worse and has no respect or compassion for anyone else. I'm actually assuming that she is cursed or somehow replaced by a doppler because she's such an abrasive bad person. Like yeah, no characters in this setting are without a dark streak and some serious personality flaws, but I haven't yet found a single redeeming quality in Yennifer.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

This game is my first exposure to the character, and here I had the impression that Triss was the hotheaded crazy one.

I can see how a person could come away with that reading of Yennefer, even if I think it's totally wrong, but how the hell did you come away with that impression of Triss?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yennefer isn't hot-headed or crazy at all. She's probably one of the calmest, most collected characters who isn't named Geralt. She's just an abrasive rear end in a top hat because being an abrasive rear end in a top hat Gets poo poo Done and she doesn't particularly care about other people's opinions.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She has some temper and patience issues.

Part of her impatience probably stems from her usually being right and everyone giving her poo poo anyway, to be fair.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Sharmat posted:

I can see how a person could come away with that reading of Yennefer, even if I think it's totally wrong, but how the hell did you come away with that impression of Triss?

I'm not sure about hot-headed, but most of the sorceresses that Geralt has a decent amount of exposure to can definitely be considered "crazy" in some way.

The Sharmat posted:

People that strongly dislike said main character?

Eh, I still think the whole aspect of messing with a(nother) djinn has got to be interesting enough to still do the quest.

And it's a game that invites you to do everything, not doing a quest just feels like you're missing out on something that's probably gonna end up fun or story-driving in some way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Well, she's the most volatile sorceress in Witcher 2? Also, I figured her "Haha I maybe mislead you into thinking we were together before you got amnesia, oops" was indicative of somewho flies by the seat of their pants where relationships are concerned.

Witcher 3 has improved my understanding of Triss's character quite a bit, so I understand that my impressions from W2 weren't entirely accurate.

But so far, in W3, Yen has roped Geralt into robbing a guy he used to be friends with, stolen said guys legendary mask and used it, used black magic to interrogate a corpse, which killed a sacred garden, and oh yeah, teleported me into a lake. Not a single one of these events was something we could even discuss, she just did all this poo poo gently caress the consequences or how it affects anyone else, which is basically the opposite of what my take on Geralt does, and what Triss does with helping all the mages in Novigrad. And she's just bitchy, ALL THE TIME. "If you want to chat, come closer!" -> "And you thought I would find this interesting because...?"

Basically every thing that Yen has accomplished in hosed-up, bridge-burning ways, could have been accomplished with Witcher Senses and a bit of patience.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 23, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Edit:She's the most volatile sorceress in TW2 because she's up against Sile de Tansarville and Philippa Eilhart. She's not at all volatile though. if you thought Triss had a forceful personality, no wonder you hate Yennefer.

Also I'd point out that every single thing Yennefer did got results and that it would be impossible to find Ciri if he hadn't done that. Yennefer's one of the only character's in the game on Geralt's side that has a consistent plan and gets things done.

And Ermion's not really a friend of Geralt's. They don't dislike each other, but they've only met a few times. It's not like this is some profound betrayal on his part.

pik_d posted:

Eh, I still think the whole aspect of messing with a(nother) djinn has got to be interesting enough to still do the quest.

And it's a game that invites you to do everything, not doing a quest just feels like you're missing out on something that's probably gonna end up fun or story-driving in some way.
He'd probably enjoy breaking Yennefer's heart at the end of the quest, at least.

Also the djinn fight and the scenery before it is pretty cool.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 23, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

The Sharmat posted:

He'd probably enjoy breaking Yennefer's heart at the end of the quest, at least.

Also the djinn fight and the scenery before it is pretty cool.

Yeah it's his loss for not playing it, which is why I think doing every quest is the right thing to do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Yen has teleported me into a lake.

That one was hilarious. And your own fault. Mostly hilarious though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

Basically every thing that Yen has accomplished in hosed-up, bridge-burning ways, could have been accomplished with Witcher Senses and a bit of patience.

Actually no, it couldn't. There's no way Geralt would have gotten this far if not for Yennefer using necromancy on Skjall. Which she rather clearly didn't enjoy, incidentally. She's just willing to do almost anything to find Ciri.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

I'm not sure about hot-headed, but most of the sorceresses that Geralt has a decent amount of exposure to can definitely be considered "crazy" in some way.

I get that from a gamer perspective it leads to more content. I'm pretty much roleplaying all my story decisions, and Yen didn't give me any important reason to help her. Everything she said in the pre-quest conversation sounded like she just wanted to try to harness the power of djinn again, which is why I thought Geralt had fallen into a time machine or something.

And I would derive no pleasure in breaking Yennifer's heart, I just want to avoid her. I mean, a lot characters in the game are "hateable" as people, but that is what give the setting so much character. I feel a lot of backlash towards Yen because, unlike a lot of the other characters, the game is heavily skewed towards Geralt liking Yen. The game tries to tell us that we should like her, and it makes me dislike her more.

edit:

pik_d posted:

Yeah it's his loss for not playing it, which is why I think doing every quest is the right thing to do.
it's not like I'm not going to play the game again... I want my first playthrough to be the story that results from my actions based on my personal feelings. Once I've beat it, I'll be able to explore content as a result of having a lot more information on which options lead to which possibilities.

The Sharmat posted:

Actually no, it couldn't. There's no way Geralt would have gotten this far if not for Yennefer using necromancy on Skjall. Which she rather clearly didn't enjoy, incidentally. She's just willing to do almost anything to find Ciri.
It's impossible to know this. Investigating the village with Witcher senses could have yielded a lot of clues, and we could have interviewed the villages who saw Skjall "running away" from the Wild Hunt. The tracks lead to the shore, and there would be magic residue from the curse there that Yen could have analyzed.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 23, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You can't see how Yennefer harnessing a djinn in that way although it doesn't end up being workable that way anyway might be useful for, say, fighting the interdimensional alien elves that want to abduct Geralt and Yennefer's daughter?

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Are there any DLC's planned? I'm level like 23, tasked with gathering people in the 3 main areas to fight the Hunt. I take it that's the big crescendo, right? What level should I be?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Snak posted:

I feel a lot of backlash towards Yen because, unlike a lot of the other characters, the game is heavily skewed towards Geralt liking Yen. The game tries to tell us that we should like her, and it makes me dislike her more.
Yeah see this is something different about this game compared to other story driven RPGs. Geralt isn't a blank slate. He has his own defined personality and feelings that the player influences. He's not really meant to be some kind of self insert like Shepard or the Grey Warden or whatever. Although you get some room to interpret him and influence his actions.

I actually like that about this franchise. I think it allows them to make the stories and characters work on a level the tabula rasa you're usually offered at game start can't. I seriously hope they don't change this for any later witcher games. I'd be disappointed at this point if The Witcher 4 in 2020 or whatever had a custom character instead of something pre-defined.

Snak posted:

It's impossible to know this. Investigating the village with Witcher senses could have yielded a lot of clues, and we could have interviewed the villages who saw Skjall "running away" from the Wild Hunt. The tracks lead to the shore, and there would be magic residue from the curse there that Yen could have analyzed.
What makes you think any of that's possible? The important part is finding out about Uma. Skjall is the only one there that saw him. There is no lead beyond that. The trail is dead with Skjall. It was the only way.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Okay, so after being told by basically everyone that I need to play this game, I picked it up. I've been messing around in White Orchard for about 6 hours now. I've done a few quests (the one where you figure out what's up with the ghost lady at the well was awesome), and found a lot of places. I'm wondering though: does the level of a quest need to be pretty close to your own for it to be doable? The quest to hunt the griffin is level 5 and I'm still only level 3. But earlier I took on a level 6 bear and killed it no sweat (but then got murdered by four drowners a minute later because I was careless). Should I look around for more quests?

Also, why are drowners able to stagger me even through a block? I had to drop my guard and just dodge like a madman to eventually take them down. Does necrophage oil work on them? I assume so since they're undead too, right?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Dodging is generally better for monsters than blocking. And yes, necrophage oil works on drowners. Anything you have in your bestiary lists what oils work on it on the bottom of the page.

The quest level suggestions vary and are mostly guidelines rather than strict rules.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah see this is something different about this game compared to other story driven RPGs. Geralt isn't a blank slate. He has his own defined personality and feelings that the player influences. He's not really meant to be some kind of self insert like Shepard or the Grey Warden or whatever. Although you get some room to interpret him and influence his actions.

I actually like that about this franchise. I think it allows them to make the stories and characters work on a level the tabula rasa you're usually offered at game start can't. I seriously hope they don't change this for any later witcher games. I'd be disappointed at this point if The Witcher 4 in 2020 or whatever had a custom character instead of something pre-defined.

I don't disagree. The fact that you play as Geralt the Witcher and not a blank slate who can choose and class means that this game can be tuned to be the best witcher experiance and not a mediocre warrior, mediocre thief, or mediocre caster experience.

The thing is, at the end of Witcher 2, (my) Geralt told Triss that no matter what happened we would face it together. Then W3 is like oh btw you broke up with Triss and Yen is the one you really love. Thanks game. I'm definitely not going resent that at all.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Same thing happened to people that preferred Shani to Triss in TW1, ironically.

CDPR has never been that crazy about the whole save importing thing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, and ultimately this is the way that I would want it. I would rather them tell a good story than "complete freedom" to make choices that don't matter at all. It just means that I feel this backlash against Yennifer. It's not like they didn't anticipate it, there's basically always a dialogue option to be a total dick, so... they knew what they were getting into.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
True.

That said you gotta kind of expect her to act a bit bitchy if you take the dick options with her all the time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yah but she started it :P.

This game really is so good.

Also "The Recruit" is the best side quest in the game. BOATS GUARD BOATS!!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Anyone that killed that troll is a monster.

He was a true patriot.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Snak posted:

Well, she's the most volatile sorceress in Witcher 2? Also, I figured her "Haha I maybe mislead you into thinking we were together before you got amnesia, oops" was indicative of somewho flies by the seat of their pants where relationships are concerned.

Witcher 3 has improved my understanding of Triss's character quite a bit, so I understand that my impressions from W2 weren't entirely accurate.

But so far, in W3, Yen has roped Geralt into robbing a guy he used to be friends with, stolen said guys legendary mask and used it, used black magic to interrogate a corpse, which killed a sacred garden, and oh yeah, teleported me into a lake. Not a single one of these events was something we could even discuss, she just did all this poo poo gently caress the consequences or how it affects anyone else, which is basically the opposite of what my take on Geralt does, and what Triss does with helping all the mages in Novigrad. And she's just bitchy, ALL THE TIME. "If you want to chat, come closer!" -> "And you thought I would find this interesting because...?"

If you got portaled into the lake you deserved it. Yen is trying to get everyone's poo poo together so y'all can save Ciri and you pick a fight?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
"Geralt of Rivia, being romantic..." must be my favorite line from Yennefer. Those two deserve each other and it's beautiful. :allears:

Snak posted:

Also "The Recruit" is the best side quest in the game. BOATS GUARD BOATS!!

Best fetch quest ever.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

If you got portaled into the lake you deserved it. Yen is trying to get everyone's poo poo together so y'all can save Ciri and you pick a fight?
Also, I know the game lets you gently caress off and do nothing related to finding Ciri for ages, but "patience" might not actually be something you can afford, given that you know Ciri's being hunted by a teleporting spectral magic warband.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

420 Gank Mid posted:

I mean I already made her wait, like 10 levels, because Cerys is a much more interesting character.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Yennefer is hundreds of years old and probably the most powerful mage on the planet. She doesn't listen to objections from Geralt because she doesn't listen to objections from anybody. Geralt and Emhyr are probably the only two people who she considers to be anywhere near her level.

edit: basically Yennefer's view of the world boils down to a tiny circle labeled "Me," another circle below that labeled "Geralt and Ciri," and below that, a significantly larger circle labeled "Literally Everybody Else, Except Maybe Triss Once I Get Over That Whole Shagged-My-Best-Friend Thing"

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

pik_d posted:

Speaking about crazy sorceresses. This is, for me one of the funniest dialog ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en2yYRWT_bY

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Yeah Keira is great and gently caress everyone who killed her.

Snak posted:

I mean I already made her wait, like 10 levels, because Cerys is a much more interesting character.

I thought that every quest Yen dragged you on Skellige was cool, interesting and crazy as hell. :shrug:

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 23, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Honestly I think certain other RPGs have just got people used to every NPC taking the main character's poo poo, and if they don't, being able to punch them to shut them up.

Oxxidation posted:

Yennefer is hundreds of years old and probably the most powerful mage on the planet. She doesn't listen to objections from Geralt because she doesn't listen to objections from anybody. Geralt and Emhyr are probably the only two people who she considers to be anywhere near her level.

edit: basically Yennefer's view of the world boils down to a tiny circle labeled "Me," another circle below that labeled "Geralt and Ciri," and below that, a significantly larger circle labeled "Literally Everybody Else, Except Maybe Triss Once I Get Over That Whole Shagged-My-Best-Friend Thing"

Yennefer is almost exactly 100. Which is old, but there are older mages out there. Philippa is over three times her age, for instance. Also while she's in the top tier of mages there are several stronger ones than her around. Philippa included.

Also while she prioritizes her surrogate family she's a lot more altruistic than she likes people to think she is. She stopped a huge anti-non-human pogram in Vengerberg, for instance, and was pretty disgusted by the reprisals the Northern Kingdoms launched on elves and dwarves in "retaliation" for Scoia'tael attacks.

She just priorizes Ciri above all else because, well...she's her daughter.

EDIT: Oh and I doubt she'll ever forgive Triss. Shagging Geralt is not the only or remotely the worst thing she's done to Yennefer.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 23, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Its Miller Time posted:

Are there any DLC's planned?
No one answered, but yes there's a big campaign coming at the end of the year and another in early 2016 as part of the season pass. Lots of little DLC currently gets released weekly for free.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
The big DLC's are supposed to be "as big as" TW2," supposedly.

Also aughhhhhh, I think I'll need to pause my own run through the game, because I want to talk to Roche and he won't interact with me (thanks to one of those bugged quests). Dammit.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
lol if Yennefer threw you into a lake because you just had to keep arguing with her about some poo poo she told you to leave her alone about

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moridin920 posted:

lol if Yennefer threw you into a lake because you just had to keep arguing with her about some poo poo she told you to leave her alone about

She killed my bed.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Is there any deck that's definitely best in gwent, or is it just preference and playing style?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

FauxGateau posted:

She killed my bed.

Technically, it was a guest bed. So if anything, it was Vesemir's. He gets his revenge by passive aggressively getting up at the crack of dawn and working loudly on the collapsing walls right outside of Yennefer's window.

If anything, I think this increased Yennefer's respect for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Its Miller Time posted:

Are there any DLC's planned? I'm level like 23, tasked with gathering people in the 3 main areas to fight the Hunt. I take it that's the big crescendo, right? What level should I be?

If you're ok with spoiling crescendo chat: You're about mid game depending on how many side quests you've done/have left. You're about the right level for the aforementioned quest. I was level 25 but that was only due to a wee bit of grinding to be able to wear Superior Cat armour.

DLC chat: Next week is the last free piecemeal DLC, but CDProjeckt has said they're "going out with a bang". Read into that however you wish.

As others have stated, Non-free DLC wise: 10-hour DLC expansion reusing Novigrad and Velen in the Fall. Sometime early next year, 20 hour DLC in a whole new area. I really doubt that these will latch into the main story, I strongly suspect they'll be separate adventures.